Kingcob Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
nfl.com

NEW YORK -- The Pro Bowl is on for this season, but NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated Monday that the game's future remains very much in doubt.

Speaking on Sirius XM's "Town Hall with Roger Goodell" on Monday in New York, Goodell indicated he was "leaning" toward eliminating the game before players stepped in last offseason. That isn't a huge shock considering the tenor of Goodell's words after last season's game. He repeatedly said the game wasn't up to NFL standards.

Goodell indicated the game needs to improve or it still could get the axe.

"The players asked if they could take another crack at it to try to work to get the game more competitive," Goodell said. "Obviously, I support that. But if we can't accomplish that kind of standard, I'm inclined not to play it any more."

It remains unclear exactly what steps the players and the NFL will take to try to improve the game in 2013. If the game continues at the lackluster level for another year, it sure sounds like Goodell won't hesitate to kill it altogether.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Good dont play,

Bring the Pro Bowl players together at 2-3 diffrent stadiums per year and hold a food drive for local charities, people get in the staduim for free if they bring donations, players donate 3-4 hours that day, NFL needs to turn this boring worthless game into something positive for fans and local charities.

Legend
Legend
I think that Goodell is slowly killing this league.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I hope this was supposed to be in purple.

Because putting the Pro Bowl out of our misery should have been done 20 years ago.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

I hope this was supposed to be in purple.

Because putting the Pro Bowl out of our misery should have been done 20 years ago.

I agree, the Probowl is a joke. The players probably aren't interested in the game itself, but more the bonus, recognition and the trip to Hawaii. So do something to honor the "Probowl" players and compensate them for the achievment, but skip the lame game.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Switch the Pro Bowl to the old school skills challenges we used to see on Sat mornings.

Tug-o-war...basketball...sand volleyball...obstacle course runs, etc.

That would be light-years more entertaining than any Pro Bowl game in memory.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Kill it. Send the players and their families on a nice vacation and recognize them for the great year they had. The actual game is just a waste of TV time.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Switch the Pro Bowl to the old school skills challenges we used to see on Sat mornings.

Tug-o-war...basketball...sand volleyball...obstacle course runs, etc.

That would be light-years more entertaining than any Pro Bowl game in memory.

Yep, have skills challenges, take the pads off and play a flag football game... do something. If it's not going to be real football, then don't pretend it is.... I think that is what bothers most people.

yebat' Putin
K
Kingcob Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Robert Edwards, a patriots rookie running back, destroyed his knee during a flag football game on the beach during the probowl in 1999. To my knowledge they canceled all future non-game activities after that.

All Pro
All Pro
I think a cruise would be nice. Send the players and their families on a cruise. The remaining tickets would sell for a premium to fans who want a chance to be on the boat. After a full season of football the last thing I can think of as rewarding is being given the chance to play yet another game. And you get to play that game at a time when you're falling out of game shape as you're heading into the off season.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like the idea of a weekend long celebration for the ones elected to go to the Pro-Bowl. Move it back to after the Superbowl so players in the Superbowl can participate.

Do skills competitions, make it fun. Include the fans attending with some events. Have a ceremony where you award each player with a trophy/ring for being selected. Give the MVP award there.

The game it self is a joke. No need to keep up the charade. The cruse idea sounds cool but I'd prefer an event in a US city so the local economy can reap the rewards.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I like the idea of a weekend long celebration for the ones elected to go to the Pro-Bowl. Move it back to after the Superbowl so players in the Superbowl can participate.

Do skills competitions, make it fun. Include the fans attending with some events. Have a ceremony where you award each player with a trophy/ring for being selected. Give the MVP award there.

The game it self is a joke. No need to keep up the charade.

+1

Legend
Legend
I would like a "Futures" game like the NBA has.

Play rookies against 2nd year players after the Super Bowl. You could also do a skills challenge, and make it a fun weekend ....... in fact, a lot more fun than the boring crap the Pro Bowl has become.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Roger Goodell indicates Pro Bowl's future still in doubt

Link Copied to Clipboard