Next Thread
Print Thread
#730051 10/25/12 10:27 AM
N
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
N
Surprised nobody has posted this, but it's on the team site. Not expected to play, but he is participating.

I believe this is the two-week window where we can evaluate him, and either activate or keep him on IR? Gotta decide who goes, how about Marecic (again). Otherwise it might be someone who performs a useful function.

Rubin DNP, he's aggravated that calf injury. IMO neither he nor Richardson should have played last week.

N
Legend
Legend
N
3 week window, but yes. and, it's on here somewhere (in the middle of one of the threads on how Weeden is better than McCoy no doubt)

#gmstrong
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I could be wrong but I thought Shurmur said that the spot created when Fujita went to the IR was going to be open until they evaluated Taylor.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I believe this is the two-week window where we can evaluate him, and either activate or keep him on IR? Gotta decide who goes, how about Marecic (again)

How about Marecic just because.

I hope Taylor can play this year. He's still at the point in his career where he's got a ton to learn and big leaps in development to make. If we're going to eventually turn into a decent defense we'll have to have Taylor become a force.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I could be wrong but I thought Shurmur said that the spot created when Fujita went to the IR was going to be open until they evaluated Taylor.

I thought that he said something like us having a lot of flexibility right now as far as what we can do with that spot.

We have kept 7 LB as Fujita went through the whole suspension and injury ordeals ...... and we currently have 8 DL. Both seem to be pretty optimal numbers.

I can see us keeping that extra DL until we see that Taylor is back to being 100% healthy ... but then I could absolutely see us addressing a need position like TE with Smelley. Given that anyone who would be promoted from the practice squad is already practicing with the team, and might not be active on game days right away, I don't see a huge need to bring someone up until they see what is going to happen with Taylor.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Just clicking

Glad he's back, but damn man, let's not rush this. I'd rather see him sit then stress that pec and cause longer term problems..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Just clicking

Glad he's back, but damn man, let's not rush this. I'd rather see him sit then stress that pec and cause longer term problems..

+1

Legend
Legend
Given the rate at which we have been putting players on IR this year, I would expect that a roster spot will present itself readily eough in the next two weeks.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just clicking

It's either healed, or it isn't.

Once an injury has healed, there's no need to baby it further. (other than to get the area back into shape for the demands of NFL play) If the area is 100% healed, which I would assume that it is before they have him lifting and practicing, then there is no need for a ton of restrictions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Quote:

I thought that he said something like us having a lot of flexibility right now as far as what we can do with that spot.

We have kept 7 LB as Fujita went through the whole suspension and injury ordeals ...... and we currently have 8 DL. Both seem to be pretty optimal numbers.

I can see us keeping that extra DL until we see that Taylor is back to being 100% healthy ... but then I could absolutely see us addressing a need position like TE with Smelley. Given that anyone who would be promoted from the practice squad is already practicing with the team, and might not be active on game days right away, I don't see a huge need to bring someone up until they see what is going to happen with Taylor.

I think we will keep a 9th DL once Taylor comes back. The DT position has 1 guy too many, but with two guys fighting/returning-from injury...not to mention that I really like all 5 guys there.

I do not want us to cut Kitchen as I think he gets picked up very quickly.

I won't be surprised if we go with 52 for another week or so... or activate Taylor even if he isn't ready yet.

I still wonder if Winn would be seeing some time at DE had Taylor not gone down. If he could be a player at RDE, we'd be looking great at DL. He has a different build than the other DTs and appears to be very athletic.

As it is, we will need Winn in a DT rotation for the bulk of the year until - and unless - Taylor and Rubin get/are healthy asap.

I'm worried about Winn/Hughes/Kitchen hitting the "rookie wall" sooner than later with Taylor being out and Rubin being injured.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really hate the excuse train but man, if we had Big Phil and Haden in there all year, we are not 1-6. Last year wasn't a fluke defense, this year we have just taken a pounding to the D side of the ball. Gocong, Big Phil, Haden suspension, Patterson, and Brown is just now getting healthy. OO and Rubin has played injured for the last month and we are just now getting JMJ back healthy.

Jauron has had the D playing hard but you just arent going to be that effective when you lose that many starters.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Last year wasn't a fluke defense

Are we sure that about that?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Last year wasn't a fluke defense,

But it was a fluke, in a way.

Last year opposing QBs played so carefully in the 2nd half of most games, because they didn't have to take chances.

I looked at 5 of our losses last year. How did opposing teams play us?

Well, in the 4 games I looked at teams played very carefully in the 2nd half of games last year.

The Tennessee game, the Titans went 2=9 for 26 yards with an INT in the 2nd half. They won going away.

The Oakland game saw Oakland (and Kyle Boller) go 7-12 for 86 yards in the 2nd half. Very careful.

The 49'ers went 5-11 for 60 yards in the 2nd half of our game against them because they didn't need to do much to beat us.

Houston went 4-8 for 29 yards in the 2nd half of our game. They ran a ton.

In our 1st game against the Ravens last year they went 2-7 for 24 yards in the 2nd half. They ran all over us though.

Teams played it very safe against us last year because they knew that they didn't have to score much ... and that they could easily win as long as they didn't give us cheap scores.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Teams played it very safe against us last year because they knew that they didn't have to score much ... and that they could easily win as long as they didn't give us cheap scores.

Ok, part of me can buy the argument you make, but then another part of me remembers the 3rd quarter of that 2nd game against pittsburgh.
The score was something like 12-9 nobody was playing it safe.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
However, I listed 5 or 6 games (I can't remember which now) where we were so far behind, and/or playing so poorly on offense, that the opposing team had to do very little to beat us. They played it safe and did next to nothing with their passing game.

Our defense did play better well in the red zone last year, but there again, in these types of games the opposing offense was perfectly willing to kick the FG if the TD wasn't wide open.

Teams knew that once they got to 17-10 points, the game was largely won.

I also look at how the defense performed in games that we close late. We allowed the Bengals, for example, to drive the field to kick a FG to win one of the games against us. They made it look easy.

The defense did play well at times last year. I'm not saying that they didn't. However, part of that reason was that they had to defend offenses that abandoned the pass in the 2nd half of quite a few games.

Legend
Legend
I agree, Toad. I want him to get some PT to learn all he can this season. I especially favor him to play a good deal in division games. He will see the guys we need to beat to become legit. He should be part of a turnaround core and have a hand in it. He also gets the benefit of Rubin and the few elders. Hope that investing more in opportunities now pays off more later.

PS I am willing to shed Marecic now. I don't think Smelley could be worse and that he has upside. DIal the M out.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Phil Taylor Returns

Link Copied to Clipboard