Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Hello Dawgtalkers!

Every year (and every July, for her birthday) it seems the team of ladies I work with expect me to be the one to take the point on purchasing something for our boss. Ok, no problem, I have reported to her the longest and probably know her better than most of them. I am just a bit worn out and frazzled right now, so I thought *maybe* one of my lovely co-workers would pick up the slack when I didn't mention something before last week. I over estimated them. Anyway...here's my issue.

There are 8 of us who report to our boss. I decided on a Macy's gift card for her so she could shop for clothes (as she always does) before our industry trade show in March in Chicago. I figure out an amount, send something to my co-workers stating this is what your share is (mind you, last week I asked if people were in on it or had suggestions and I received no help or input). One of my co-workers writes back, and I quote: I will not be contributing for the 'christmas' gift so please budget accordingly..

Now, why could she not have told me this when I ASKED for input last week, but instead waited until I've told everyone their share? I don't feel right going back to my other co-workers and saying "sorry ladies, but one you isn't contributing so you need to give me more money"

But, here's my biggest question: do I sign the card with each individual name of my co-workers and leave off the one not contributing or do I just say the gift is from the team? Or, do I just adjust the amount of the gift card down by that person's share?

I'm just not sure...

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If it was me, I'd approach the other co-workers and ask for a little bit more to cover the increased portion.

When signing the card, since I am how I am, I'd probably just put something like from "the team." You know that you contributed to the gift. Unless you're doing the gift because you want to curry favor with the boss (which I don't think you're doing), then it doesn't do any good to throw the other person under the bus.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't get my boss a gift.. but that's just me and it seems this ritual is established so that is out of the question..

I would approach each lady and say something like, "One of us informed me at the last minute that she isn''t contributing but I need an even amount for the gift card, if you could contribute a couple more bucks, I would appreciate it, if not, I'll just have to cover it." (Thats assuming you are in a position to cover it)

Then I would sign it from the team... it will take about 20 minutes for the ladies to figure out who didn't contribute... then when the boss opens it and thanks "The team"... y'all will know, she'll know shes getting thanked for something she had nothing to do with... I wouldn't call her out on it.

And you have now identified in your group, the people not willing to do anything, the ones willing to do just what is asked, and the ones willing to go the extra mile....

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Ask for more and I would let the individual ladies sign the card themselves.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
When we used to do cards for the bosses in the car business, we used to have everyone sign the card individually. Those who contributed signed, those who didn't, didn't sign. We didn't do any "team" stuff.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

This is how I would do it.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

This, or use the contributions you do receive to purchase a smaller valued gift card, and use the remainder on a smaller tangible gift.

Like, if eight of you are chipping in $12.50 each towards a $100 gift card and someone backs out, buy a $75 gift card and use the other $12.50 for bottle of wine or something. Obviously those numbers are pulled out of thin air, but you get the point.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Next year, collect the money FIRST.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Me personally, I think it's dumb to get your boss a gift. Does your boss get you something?

If my people got me a gift, and it was a pricey gift card, I'd tell them to take it back. That kind of stuff just makes me uncomfortable.

Simple solution beginning next year ... no more boss gifts.

This year, if you can make up the difference, make it up ... and let each individual sign the card ... if the non-contributor ends up signing it, so be it ... although I wouldn't go out of my way to make it available to that person ... and next year this give the boss a gift thing gets canceled.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Thanks all! You all pretty much confirmed the direction I was leaning anyway - I've just not had to deal with this,even with the same group of ladies last year. They all contributed. Methinks this person is going to resign soon as she and our boss do not get along well - and the boss isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

No card signing...we're all in remote locations (Cleveland, NYC, Philly, San Fran, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, Charlotte). So, what I'll end up doing is saying it's from the team.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
J
Legend
Legend
J
I think it depends on the group of people. I've always given all my employees gifts and they've always given me a gift. We have a nice party and have a good time. I can't imagine feeling uncomfortable about it. It's happened that way everywhere I've worked.

Looks like you have it worked out, Babe, and it's the best way to handle that situation.

Legend
Legend
Spread the cost over those willing to contribute and for the sake of office harmony, Sign the card, Merry Christmas from your staff.

That way, anyone that didn't 'contribute will feel like a dirtbag (especially after the boss comes over and personally thanks them).

I love subtle bites in the butt,, Don't you...LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
You don't throw a person under the bus with a signed card.

It's a gift from the office. If some don't contribute they have a reason, be it petty or be it real. None the less, it's not for you to point out that Sally or Sam didn't contribute.

WWJD??

JMO

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
WWTD?

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

WWTD?

Win games.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Damn straight!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
MACYS?!?

Go with the Jelly of the Month club!!! It's the gift that keeps on giving through the whole year!

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You don't throw a person under the bus with a signed card.

It's a gift from the office. If some don't contribute they have a reason, be it petty or be it real. None the less, it's not for you to point out that Sally or Sam didn't contribute.

WWJD??

JMO

I agree with Peen, its not about stroking anybodys ego, or gaining brownie points. maybe shes broke and cant afford to contribute, you guys are still all a team.

Me personally I wouldnt buy my boss anything, on any job I have had. They make mmore money than me on my hard work. They should be showing their appreciation to the their employees for the job they do.

so, WWBBD?

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I think you should just sign the card "Stud Muffin" and tell her the gift is from me

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Christmas Gift - What would you do?

Link Copied to Clipboard