Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm already heard Taj Boyd at six...joy

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wake me up from this crazy dream.

The Cleveland Browns hiring a kid-coach whose last offense was the uber up-temp spread-option?

Crazy dream nothing...this is our version of an acid trip...

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

which is better than watching some half-assed version of the WCO for another year.

Watching to guys fishing off the side of a bridge is better than watching some half-a version of the WCO for another year.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

which is better than watching some half-assed version of the WCO for another year.

Watching to guys fishing off the side of a bridge is better than watching some half-a version of the WCO for another year.

oioioioi
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Id also take a shot at denard robinson in the draft too since geno smith will be gone

Denard Robinson in the 3rd round, I like that idea a lot.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wake me up from this crazy dream.

The Cleveland Browns hiring a kid-coach whose last offense was the uber up-temp spread-option?

Crazy dream nothing...this is our version of an acid trip...

I can't wait to see the Oregon-ized uniforms.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Shiny and glittering Orange & Brown uniforms!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Jesus...we'd prolly end up with BigDawg in the DawgPound...but dressed in drag and covered in glitter......some weird hybrid between Liberace and Dee Snyder...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd heard they were talking a pewter colored pant with an orange(ish) jersey.

I'll guarantee you it's gonna be different!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Jesus...we'd prolly end up with BigDawg in the DawgPound...but dressed in drag and covered in glitter......some weird hybrid between Liberace and Dee Snyder...

Or GMDawg in a Brown and Orange thong.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That would be an improvement over the pink one he already wears.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That would be an improvement over the pink one he already wears.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Metallic orange helmet might be cool.

I dont care if we wear those ugly, nasty Steeler throwbacks as long as we win.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Cleveland.com:

Chip Kelly's zone-read offense can leave defenses breathless -- including his own.

As football evolves, more young quarterbacks are coming into the NFL capable of running no-huddle, spread offenses. Good thing, too, because if the innovative Oregon coach employed his Quack Attack full time in the NFL he probably would need more than a few of them due to the injury risk.

A sampling of football analysts said Kelly, expected to be interviewed by the Browns today, is a quality NFL coaching candidate, but that his up-tempo offense will require modifications to work in the league. Analysts observed Kelly's prolific offense:

• Takes a physical toll on its quarterbacks.

• Could wear out NFL offensive linemen expected to play 10 years in the league.

• Would place a strain on his own defense because of the combination of quick strikes and three-and-outs and the substantially smaller roster sizes in the NFL.

Oregon football coach Chip Kelly, seen above during the Ducks' win over Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl on Thursday, is expected to interview for the Browns' head coaching job today.
Associated Press
"There's a lot of things you must consider before you completely go to it," said ESPN college football analyst Chris Spielman, a former NFL linebacker. "I don't think we will see the full transition, but you will see elements of it. Chip is a smart enough guy that he can contribute what he knows with his area of expertise and there's a lot of good [assistants] around that they can get together and come up with, I don't want to say a basic offense, but one that's a little more standard.

"I think it can be successful, there just has to be tweaks made to it."

The Browns are one of at least three teams reportedly interviewing Kelly, whose Ducks played in the Fiesta Bowl on Thursday night. The Eagles and Bills also plan to talk to the 49-year-old who has never played or coached in the NFL.

Although college coaches have had mixed results in the league, conditions are as favorable as at any time to make the jump. The Washington Redskins, Seattle Seahawks, New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers all have enjoyed success this season borrowing on elements from the college game.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has met with Kelly and incorporated the Ducks' rapid pace into their offense run by Tom Brady. New England not only leads the NFL in points and total yards, but plays. The Patriots ran an average of 74.4 plays per game in the regular season. By comparison, the Browns ran 62.3.

New England has eliminated lots of verbiage from its play calls, according to the Boston Globe, allowing them to run plays more quickly when they want to push the pace. Belichick learned how from Kelly.

While many focus on the zone-read component, the genius of Kelly's offense, some analysts said, is the frenetic pace. The Ducks averaged 82.4 plays per game. The Patriots don't run a fast-break spread throughout the game the way Oregon does.

Big Ten Network analyst Gerry Dinardo doesn't believe that's sustainable in the NFL with its 53-man roster. He pictures a defense wearing out in practice trying to keep up with its offense. The Ducks also require lots of depth on defense in games because of its offense's quick strike capabilities and the occasional three-and-outs.

Dinardo noted that favorable personnel matchups in the NFL are less frequent than in college. He also isn't sure how effective the offense would be in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

Of course, blending zone-read plays with more traditional plays would make it tough on defenses. That's what the Redskins have done with Robert Griffin III.

It's worth noting Griffin, who's still dealing with a knee injury, and Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota each have averaged about eight rushes per game. Just the threat of them running, however, makes their offenses potent.

"You have to keep a safety in the box because you have to account for the quarterback," Spielman said. "The play action also is really dangerous in that offense."

The Browns learned the hard way against the Redskins in a 38-21 loss even without Griffin in the lineup.

"You only have so much time to practice and if you have to get ready for two or three types of things an offense can throw at you it's going to be more difficult to defend," said Gil Brandt, a senior analyst for NFL.com and a former longtime vice president of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys.

Brandt believes Kelly would benefit from working with an executive like Browns CEO Joe Banner because of his years of front-office experience in Philadelphia.

"[Kelly] is a very smart man, someone who's not afraid to try new, innovative and creative things . . . " Brandt said. "He would have the luxury of coming to the NFL with someone like Joe Banner and whoever else he hires. Joe is very good . . .

"When you come in from [college] you don't understand the draft, you don't understand what you have to do [salarycapwise], you don't understand the projections you have to make and it hurts college guys. I think it hurt Steve Spurrier when he went to Washington. So if you have somebody like Joe who has gone through all the scenarios it's a lot easier for a coach to be successful."

But if the Browns hire Kelly, one of the franchise's first moves might be acquiring new quarterbacks. Spielman doesn't believe Brandon Weeden could adapt to the zone-read scheme. Weeden said as much Monday.

"I don't think it would be a great fit for any of the guys they have at quarterback," said Phil Steele, the Cleveland-based publisher of Phil Steele's College Football Preview.

Steele notes Kelly's offense is more run-oriented than the ones that produced Griffin at Baylor and Cam Newton at Auburn. The Ducks ranked second in the nation in rushing, averaging 323.3 yards per game.

Even as Kelly would have to adapt to the NFL, Spielman said, high schools and colleges are generating more quarterbacks like Griffin, Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick suited to run his offense.

"I can't emphasize enough that in five years 90 percent of the quarterbacks," Spielman said, "are going to be read-option quarterbacks who can throw the ball as opposed to the pure pocket passers like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning."

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

Metallic orange helmet might be cool.

I dont care if we wear those ugly, nasty Steeler throwbacks as long as we win.

Tim Tebow would look awesome in a metallic orange helmet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good read.

Gil Brandt is a guy who I tend to put credence into what they say more often than others.

D
Legend
Legend
D
In The Plans

Jan 04, 2013 -- 8:23pm

By Will Burge
ESPN-Cleveland

It looks as though owner Jimmy Haslam III, C.E.O. Joe Banner, and the Browns organization have found their next head coach and his name is Chip Kelly. The next big question to be answered, however, is who will be the quarterback?

A source in the Browns’ organization told ESPN Cleveland that just over a week ago Banner told backup quarterback Colt McCoy he is “in the next head coach’s plans.”

Adam Caplan of Sirius/XM NFL Radio reported earlier tonight that Michael Lombardi, who is rumored to be the next GM, has already been angling for the Browns in free agency. If you combine both of these reports it is pretty obvious that the Kelly/Lombardi regime did not just materialize in the last 24 hours.

As far as Brandon Weeden, who started all but one game for the Browns last season, he may end up the odd man out. Lombardi said the drafting of Brandon Weeden with the #22 pick was a panicked disaster last offseason. He also said on a Cleveland radio station in September that despite the fact that Colt McCoy gives the team a better chance to win, Weeden was going to finish out the season as the starter.

The one thing that is for sure, everyone else on the offense is excited about the prospects of Chip Kelly as the next head coach. I texted with multiple players on the offense after the news broke and each one to a man was ecstatic. One player, who is currently up for free agency, even went as far as to say they hope the Browns bring them back into this system next season.

Who will be the next quarterback? Can Chip Kelly integrate his offense into the NFL? How will the current Browns’ roster fit into Kelly’s offensive system? These questions will be answered in the coming weeks and months, but for now they will be masked by excitement and jubilation. Only time will tell if this move will have a different result than the last five head coaching hires since 1999.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&post_id=10401

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

One player, who is currently up for free agency, even went as far as to say they hope the Browns bring them back into this system next season.

Sorry Cribbs, you're gone.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Travis Benjamin may thrive in it.

Getting player buy in cant be underestimated.

If Bill B talks to him regularly thats a good sign IMO.

Ultimately, Kelly better come in contortionist crazy flexible in his system!

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 01/04/13 10:12 PM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

One player, who is currently up for free agency, even went as far as to say they hope the Browns bring them back into this system next season.

Sorry Cribbs, you're gone.

My guess is that it was Mohamed Massaquoi and not Josh Cribbs. I think that Cribbs has already burned all those bridges with his expletive laden rants against the fans.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Why not keep Cribbs? He could play QB for us. We're going to need a couple on the roster for this train wreck...er...experiment...er...offense to work.

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Why not keep Cribbs? He could play QB for us. We're going to need a couple on the roster for this train wreck...er...experiment...er...offense to work.

Because Cribbs isn't smart enough to be a QB in this scheme and he's burned every bridge in Cleveland.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Ha, the FA that wants to come back has to be Cribbs. How about Cribbs at QB? Or in the backfield with Colt?

Think Cribbs would fit into what Kelly does?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm gonna duck after I say this but I'd as soon have Tebow than either of those two.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I'm gonna duck after I say this but I'd as soon have Tebow than either of those two.

I don't know which other guy you're referring to after Cribbs, but if anyone has actually seen Cribbs throw a football, it's pathetic.

After some of the ducks I've seen Cribbs heave out there, he'd make Tebow look like Bart Star.

Any receiver worth his salt wants Kelly to be his coach. It could be any number of guys, and I bet it's not Cribbs. Why? Because Cribbs isn't one to speak off the record. He's an attention-whore.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was Colt.

Legend
Legend
I think it would make complete sense to retain cribbs... All this chatter about wanting four QBs, why not keep him?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the money was right I'd keep him.

If he was four years younger I'd say pay him.

I'm not even sure how desireable he's going to be out there right now.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Hell that same thing could be said about Mccoy or Weeden.
Keep who we got,and bring in 3 or 4 more,gonna need 'em before the season's out.
Cannon-fodder QBs.
Take that Goddell.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I think it would make complete sense to retain cribbs... All this chatter about wanting four QBs, why not keep him?

Because you can get QBs that fit the scheme that might be run by Kelly very late in the draft (6th or 7th round) or even as UDFAs and they wouldn't be the cancer in the locker room that Cribbs is.

Cribbs got paid after many fans clamored for it and followed that up by doing exactly nothing of note. Then, when he got some criticism from fans, he sends out a public message aimed at them that is filled with expletives.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

I say there's a 90% chance Colt is the starter next season. I'd bet heavy that Weeden isn't even on the team next year.

Why? Because from this article...

Quote:

This misunderstands Kelly's attack. "I look for a quarterback who can run and not a running back who can throw. I want a quarterback who can beat you with his arm," Kelly explained at a coaches clinic in the spring of 2011, emphatically adding, "We are not a Tim Tebow type of quarterback team. I am not going to run my quarterback 20 times on power runs."

Source. Read the full article because it's incredibly interesting.

Legend
Legend
Well ..... I don't see McCoy as a guy who can beat you with his arm ....... but hopefully, if he winds up the starter again ..... then hopefully he is better than I think he is.

As I said earlier ..... maybe with more roll outs and shotgun ..... and simplified reads ........ who knows?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, but that implies that Colt can beat you with his arm.

I think Weeden is on this team this year, and I think he starts. I think Kelly will mold his offense around Weeden.

And then, unless we have a lot of success, we are going to sell out in the 2014 draft for a QB who fits right in with what Kelly wants.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm glad I took the time to read that. I saved it so
I can reread again!

Highly recommended guys!

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Interviews

Link Copied to Clipboard