Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
web page

Composite stat line: 297-of-517, 3,385 yards, 14 TDs, 17 INTs, 28 sacks, 72.6 rating.

Conclusion: Weeden showed flashes of why Browns drafted him No. 22 overall in April, but, overall, his rookie season was a disappointment. He did not demonstrate enough improvement in accuracy, reading defenses and feel for game, and he was reluctant to make enough challenging throws. On balance, he seemed uncomfortable in the West Coast offense. If Weeden is to succeed with the Browns -- or any team -- in the future, he almost certainly will need to play in a vertical scheme.

FINAL GRADE: C-

Positives and negatives
Here are some positives and negatives from Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden's rookie season. They are based on a dvr review of every pass play and include composite observations of national analysts who worked the game for TV

Positives
First NFL snap (Game 1 vs. Eagles).
First completion (Game 1 vs. Eagles, first pass, 24 yards to Mohamed Massaquoi).
First touchdown pass (Game 2 @ Bengals, 23 yards to Trent Richardson).
First 300-yard game (Game 2 @ Bengals, 322 yards).
Threw for combined 611 yards in back-to-back road games against quality opponents (Game 4 @ Ravens, Game 5 @ Giants).
First victory (Game 6 vs. Bengals).
Outplayed 2012 No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck (Game 7 @ Colts).
Played two good games against playoff-bound Bengals.
Three-game winning streak (Game 11 vs. Steelers, Game 12 @ Raiders, Game 13 vs. Chiefs).
Led 94-yard TD drive in fourth quarter (Game 12 @ Raiders).
First road victory (Game 12 @ Raiders).
20th in NFL in passing yards per game (226).
Five victories in 15 starts for rebuilding team.
29.8 yards per TD pass.
Contributed to development of rookie WR Josh Gordon and second-year WR Greg Little.
Arm strength as advertised.
Smooth throwing mechanics as advertised.
Quick release frustrated pass rushers (T18th with 28 times sacked).
Footwork on dropbacks from under center much better than expected.
Displayed willingness to hang in against pressure on certain throws.
Improved hard counts as season progressed.
Passed for 3,385 yards despite not having an accomplished wideout at his disposal.
Completion percentage of 57.4 could have been much higher if not for inconsistency of young receiving corps (read: drops).
Best success came against zone coverage.

Negatives
Nightmarish NFL debut (Sept. 9 vs. Eagles, 12-of-35 for 118 yards and four interceptions).
One passer rating of 100.0+ (Game 2 @ Bengals, 114.9)
Suffered concussion (Game 11 vs. Steelers).
Thoroughly outplayed at home by Redskins backup QB Kirk Cousins (Game 14).
Suffered shoulder sprain (Game 15 @ Broncos).
DNP/shoulder for season finale (Game 16 @ Steelers).
29th in passer rating (72.6).
T5th in interceptions (17).
24th in touchdown passes (14).
27th in yards per attempt (6.55).
27th in completion percentage (57.4).
Ranked among leaders in passes batted at or behind line.
Composite 26.6 "Total QBR'' (scale of 100).
Winning percentage of .333 (5-10).
Performance tailed off in second half of season. (Threw for 217 yards or fewer in six of last eight games).
Poor performances factored heavily in four losses (Game 1 vs. Eagles, Game 3 vs. Bills, Game 9 vs. Ravens, Game 14 vs. Redskins).
Made quality throws when rolling right off bootleg action -- but did not do it enough.
Inconsistent in selling play-fakes on non-bootleg pass plays.
Failed to audible when certain blitz looks or coverage schemes begged for it.
Locked onto targets too often, enabling defenders to anticipate direction and depth of passes.
Not as accurate as advertised, especially with passes 15+ yards in the air.
Periodically lacked game awareness, including two forward passes in one play.
Too quick to check down and otherwise dink/dunk.
Too quick to throw balls away when pocket broke down.
Struggled to adjust when linebackers dropped from line into coverage and dared him to throw into populated areas.
Did not "throw open'' receivers enough, especially against press-man coverage.
Lacked creativity and instinctive feel needed to extend plays.
Too deliberate in two-minute offense.
Prone to streakiness within games.
Did not fully capitalize on one of Cleveland's best offensive lines in years.
Did not threaten end zone enough when drives got inside opponent's 30-yard line.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What kind of pick does a C- guy warrant in trade?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

A first rounder from Kansas City!

O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

If you're the Browns, the 22nd pick in the draft.

Manaloff has done this pass-by-pass breakdown each and every game. It's his articles and gradings that made me drop the money on the All-22 and Coaches Film. When I went back over all the games during my Xmas vacation, I saw all kinds of things that I never would have had the chance to see in replays.

While I disagree with him on some things, all-in-all that's about where I'd rate Weeden's season.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
All Pro
All Pro
Maybe a punter

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Maybe a punter

Hey, we need a PK and a P. So any pick might help!

S
Legend
Legend
S
Totally agree with the grade. I think it's fair, and I would give him the same grade.

I want him back next year, I think he's earned another shot. On the flip side, from the Browns' perspective, I think they should be able to bring in someone else, either to compete, or just flat out take the job.

Weeden didn't do bad enough for me to say enough is enough, but I think he also didn't do enough to solidify the job for next season.

If Chip Kelly came in and said go get Alex Smith, and they sign him to a deal, I think that's an open competition, and I don't think Weeden should complain.

I still think he has some upside despite his age, and I don't think it would be worth it to just cut him. We probably wouldn't get more than a 4th or 5th as it stands.

I want McCoy out. Most of us have seen enough.

Legend
Legend
I just wonder where we should expect a rookie QB to grade out when playing in an offense he had never played in before, and having to do things like working under Center, and such for the first time?

I would think that a "C" would be about the upper limit of what I would expect. I would want to see flashes, and would expect rookie mistakes, and maybe even dead arm towards the end of the season. We certainly saw those last 2 things.

I don't know if it matters or not though ..... because who knows if we even have next year's starting QB on the roster?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Holmgren/Heckert sold him as ahead of the curve. Seems many people have forgot about that. Both of them were obviously wrong.

Legend
Legend
I think that the WCO we ran was behind the curve.

When opposing players are quoted as saying that their defensive coaches prepared them well, and that they knew what plays were coming based on the formation and personnel groups ..... well, that doesn't say too much for the coaching/system.

Hell, I knew what we were running on numerous occasions, and even predicted plays in the gameday threads on numerous occasions. (and more just sitting watching the games)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Holmgren/Heckert sold him as ahead of the curve. Seems many people have forgot about that. Both of them were obviously wrong.

Yeah, pretty much.

He really struggled when the run game was not working, and we all saw that the run game was a problem all year.

The really good QB's can overcome that. That's the thing about this current state of football. The good QB's are good even when the teams know it's obvious they are passing.

I think he can get better, but it's no guarantee. With how the Browns have come along with personnel, I think they are on the verge of getting out of the cellar, and really making deep runs into the season, for playoff spots. Lots of young guys on the team that are 1-2 years into development. I don't think we can afford to wait for a QB to develop.

I do think a coach like Chip Kelly can help Brandon Weeden. Weeden ran a sped up offense in college that was ranked just behind Oregon in terms of amount of plays run. He's used to it, he probably prefers it.

You can't play like that the whole game. The way NFL defenses are, with the size and strength, can't afford to be on the field more. I still think at times, you have to run at normal speed, but sometimes have a sped up possession can jump start the rest of the offense. We actually did see that, at times, with Weeden this year.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I just wonder where we should expect a rookie QB to grade out when playing in an offense he had never played in before, and having to do things like working under Center, and such for the first time?

That depends, how should we grade him considering the fact that we were told that Weeden would be advanced for a rookie?

Guy is a huge risk, and he needed to progress fast. Unfortunately he hasn't. I'd keep him here, but I don't think he'll make it as a starter in the NFL. He would have to make massive improvements next year.

you had a good run Hank.
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
As far as QB prospects go in the 2013 draft, the only kids that I seem to like of the bunch would be these two:

QB Tajh Boyd - Clemson
QB Ryan Nassib - Syracuse

Regardless, though, I don't see the Browns continuing with Weeden as the starter, especially if Chip Kelly ends up with the HC job. I've already seen enough from Weeden and his deer in the headlights look to know that he isn't the one.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Weeden didn't do bad enough for me to say enough is enough, but I think he also didn't do enough to solidify the job for next season.

This

Unfortunately for Weeden I think the new regime will go a different direction if at all possible.

Legend
Legend
If we draft a QB, I think that I would have to consider Geno Smith of WVU. I have seen him play several times over the past couple of years and he has looked good almost every time I have seen him play. He's got good size, and a live arm from what I have seen. He also seems to have pretty good accuracy. Of course, I have probably only seen 5 or 6 of his games over 2 years. He is, I believe, a 3 year starter also. I don't think that he runs a lot, but I think that's by design.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

This

Unfortunately for Weeden I think the new regime will go a different direction if at all possible.

It may not be exactly fair to Weeden, but it's every right to Haslam, Banner, and whoever our coach will be. None of them drafted Weeden, none of them were around. He was the victim of wrong place/wrong time.

He'll get picked up somewhere else though. Some team will fall in love with that arm.

The way I see it, if he's played his last game as a Brown, it was with house money. That was an extra pick. This was not Brady Quinn which we surrendered multiple picks for.

I know some of the draftknobs love Julio Jones, and no doubt, he is a very good player, but he's still a receiver at the end of the day, and I don't think he would have done as well in Cleveland with McCoy or Seneca Wallace or whoever throwing to him. If he's a Brown, that means Weeden isn't here because we don't have 22. Neither is Phil Taylor or Greg Little. Both of whom really grew on me this year.

Not having Julio Jones but instead having Taylor and Little isn't the end of the world. Atlanta got the pro bowler, but we have 2 good starters with good potential.

I've always said that. I said we'd never regret the trade of Weeden panned out, because of the importance of QB, but if he didn't I was still OK because I like both, and that was before the season started.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Failed 1st RD picks is a reason why the Browns are in the state they are in.
Right now Weeden is just another wasted 1st RD pick who didn't pan out for the Browns.
If you have to continually look for a franchise QB every few years,your team will
never get out of the constant 4-12 seasons.
Right Atlanta got the better of that deal. The Falcons got a Top 10 WR in the deal.
A playmaker.
Phil Taylor and Greg Little aren't Top 10 players at their positions.
Heckert reached on the Weeden pick.
The thing is,there were players drafted after Weeden that could have been serious upgrades at other positions
Kevin Zeitler,Coby Fleener. Janoris Jenkins, Harrison Smith, Whitney Marcelius
if you whiff on a QB in the 1st RD,it really sets your franchise back.
Weeden will never start for another unless the starter is injured

O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I would think that a "C" would be about the upper limit of what I would expect. I would want to see flashes, and would expect rookie mistakes, and maybe even dead arm towards the end of the season. We certainly saw those last 2 things.

I don't know if it matters or not though ..... because who knows if we even have next year's starting QB on the roster?

I want to preface this by noting I'm still of the opinion that I'd keep Weeden for one more year if all things were equal.

So, having said that, it's fair to ask how much we should expect from Weeds.

On one hand, he's a rookie, 29-year's old or otherwise. In spite of my grumblings I would have been perfectly content letting him sit on the bench if he proved he wasn't ready to start. Turns out, even though he didn't have a good season, he was ready and should have been out there.

He was sold to everyone as a QB who was ready to play. In fact, it was stated quite often that the routes he threw to in college translated well not only to the NFL, but specifically to the WCO. In that regard, he disappointed.

The big problem was that as the year went on he should have progressed. He didn't. He could put up the same numbers and be considered a QB on the rise had he followed the curve of guys like Russel, but that isn't the case.

Dj and a few others will absolutely hate hearing this, but if Weeden were 23, would any new coach be so ready to send him packing? I don't think so. His age is handicapping him.

His season wouldn't be viewed nearly as badly if he were 23 or 24, but he's going to be 30 next season. Whether people choose to believe it or not, his age continues to play a major role in how he's viewed and therefore in his future.

Again, I'd be willing to give him one more partial season at least, but facts are facts: Weeden was a HUGE gamble, and if he's sent packing, it's not because he just had a poor year. It's also because he's going to be 30, and his upside is viewed as very limited.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Assuming he starts the year next year, I don't care who's offense he's in, he's gotta show us something in the first few games.

I'm tired of hearing about changing coaches and coordinators and quarterbacks, and how you have to stick with what you have for "stability" meanwhile the rest of the league is seeing immediate success.

I won't make any excuses for Weeden next year if he doesn't improve, and I've been in his corner since day 1.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Assuming he starts the year next year, I don't care who's offense he's in, he's gotta show us something in the first few games.

I'm tired of hearing about changing coaches and coordinators and quarterbacks, and how you have to stick with what you have for "stability" meanwhile the rest of the league is seeing immediate success.

I won't make any excuses for Weeden next year if he doesn't improve, and I've been in his corner since day 1.

The good news is your about to see your immediate success next year. Just like all those other teams it took 3 or more years to get to the point that 1 move could be considered the only reason for that success when in reality it was many moves made by many people that lead to some final changes and those on the outside saying "Wow look what that 1 thing did for them, why didnt we do that?"

I have no idea what that move will be that outsiders will latch onto yet but they will proclaim that was the only reason.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

The good news is your about to see your immediate success next year. Just like all those other teams it took 3 or more years to get to the point that 1 move could be considered the only reason for that success when in reality it was many moves made by many people that lead to some final changes and those on the outside saying "Wow look what that 1 thing did for them, why didnt we do that?"

I have no idea what that move will be that outsiders will latch onto yet but they will proclaim that was the only reason.

Yes, assuming Kelly or whomever comes in and doesn't blow it up, we could see a much better team.

While the coaches changed, the roster has progressed. From what Heckert had when he came in, to blowing it up, to rebuilding it. It's not all the way there, but it has come a long way.

That's why I hope whoever comes in, adapts to what we have, because I think we have some really nice pieces. Why switch to a 3-4? You have all those young d-lineman with promise who are under rookie deals for some time?

I was kinda hoping that we'd sign Chip, and then Carolina would can Rivera. I think Rivera is a very good coordinator who would have been perfect. He has actually worked with a 4-3 and a 3-4 (Chicago and San Diego) and could help transition if they wanted to change, down the line.

I'm not sure about him as a head coach, I think he'll be fired eventually within 2 years, but he is one hell of a coordinator.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, assuming Kelly or whomever comes in and doesn't blow it up, we could see a much better team.

While the coaches changed, the roster has progressed. From what Heckert had when he came in, to blowing it up, to rebuilding it. It's not all the way there, but it has come a long way.

That's why I hope whoever comes in, adapts to what we have, because I think we have some really nice pieces. Why switch to a 3-4? You have all those young d-lineman with promise who are under rookie deals for some time?

I was kinda hoping that we'd sign Chip, and then Carolina would can Rivera. I think Rivera is a very good coordinator who would have been perfect. He has actually worked with a 4-3 and a 3-4 (Chicago and San Diego) and could help transition if they wanted to change, down the line.

I'm not sure about him as a head coach, I think he'll be fired eventually within 2 years, but he is one hell of a coordinator.

The way I see it Heckert didnt really blow it up he just started rebuilding it. I see this the same way we wont blow it up but will continue to build onto it.

I agree I dont want to see us make a switch back to the 3-4. Wasnt Mangini a 4-3 guy and stuck with the 3-4 here because thats what we ran, and the players best suited for?

IDK but I dont think Kelly is tied to any 1 single defense the same as feel he isnt just about any 1 type of offense. He adapts to what he has. Of course he may start to gather players to make changes that suite him better as time goes on but I dont believe he will just blow it up and start over from scratch so to speak.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Mangini was a 3-4 guy? I'm guess so because he came from the Belichick tree. I don't really remember his Jet teams all that much.

As far as Heckert blowing it up, there wasn't much to blow up, but he did flip that thing into the youngest roster in the league really quick.

If I were a an offensive coach coming in to take over this team, and my philosophy was to do a 3-4, I think I'd stick with 4-3, probably hire an experienced nfls coordinator to take care of it. I guess Chip prefers 3-4, but my guess is, he's a lot more concerned about working with our offense.

Green Bay had a really smooth transition with defenses while not staying down for long.

I would definitely get the most out of these guys that we have now. On the flip side, it's not like we have a stud 4-3 DE (Sheard is good but I don't know if he'll ever be all pro)and the rest of our guys can be good to very good starters, but I don't know about pro bowl. Who knows though? It's not like we've had huge leads in a ton of games where the linemen get to feast on QB's? If the offense improves maybe we find out more about our defense. Right now they're keeping us in games, but cannot close. That's what bugged me the most. They gave it up late in games quite a bit. That's a top ten unit if they ever figure that out.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I would think that a "C" would be about the upper limit of what I would expect.

I don't really like grading a rookie QB on his entire rookie season. With a rookie QB, I think the most important thing to look for is gradual improvement over the course of the season to a point, that by seasons end, game 12-16 look much improved from games 1-4.

Game one was a complete disaster so just for the sake of arguement, we can throw out that one in this debate.

I didn't see that much improvement over the course of the season. Yes I saw some flashes here and there. But gradual improvement in all phases of the game like I think one should realisticly expect?

I just didn't see it.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Wasn't Weeden's age always a factor?

I mean why wouldn't it be a factor? Football is a young mans game. Every player under contract is monitored and graded by age, development and skill.

In the end analysis Weeden has to overcome the age factor and perform.

He has not done that.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I give him a D.

He never improved. Once the opposing defenses had a lil bit of film on him, all they had to do was go Man2man or press coverage and you that easily forced him to checkdown 80% of the plays. Weeden had tunnel vision and never improved at seeing the field. His footwork did get a lil better but its sad when the only real improvement after 16 games is footwork. His accuracy is horrible. He continues to have problems finding throwing lanes at the LOS.

The sad thing is if he is our QB next year, He will have his sophomore slump.... which is a lil scary with how he played this year.

Experiment failed and probably cost Heckert his job. Too much risk for the reward.. 1st rd QB that's 29yo. Waste, Waste, Waste of a pick.

Legend
Legend
Actually he did get better at things like finding the TE over the middle, and things like that.

From the games I recently re-watched, many of the batted down passes were on ridiculously short routes. Just one more thing I disliked about Shurmur's offense.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Brandon Weeden's final season grade: C-

Link Copied to Clipboard