Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure why this is considered racial or bad. They only way I would put a name on something of mine, is if I was proud of it. So someone was proud of the name Redskins...

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure he'd want the Washington Grays.
Please go away Mayor. You have too much crime to meddle in this.

DC's crime rate is actually decreasing and is way lower than it used to be. I'm happy to live here and could actually see myself staying here for a long time.

As for the Redskins, I think the name should be changed because it's on the same level as other ethnic slurs. There's plenty of names and the only people who don't see the negative meaning are the older people on this board it seems.

As for Chief Wahoo, this pretty much sums up my feelings:

I find it interesting that the Cheif Wahoo actually looks like a person yet the rest have strange shaped heads. Almost like the cartoon Arnold. I do think the Hispanic guy is from the guy at Captian toco though so they may have to worry about copyright problems.

All that aside A native american drew cheif Wahoo if legend has it correct and was once a source of pride until some people felt that it insulted other people so they had to create a ruckus and gain some attention otherwise those unknowingly unoffended people remained in the dark and not become offended.

If they called them the Cleveland Italians and had a godfather looking guy with a gun I wouldnt have a problem but someone would because it would be insensitive to me. Why does everyone need a platform?

As far as the Redskins go... Name them the Washington Deficit. Who could possibly be offended by that?

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

True, but I'd be willing to bet that it had something to do with them being considered barbaric or war-like or savage. I doubt it was meant to be overtly insulting but the connotations are still there.

Like the Cowboys, the Trojans, the Irish... almost every ethnicity has gone to war or has some level of violence associated with it...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I'd be proud to have my ethnicity branded by a professional sports team. "The Pummelling Polacks" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Would the team wear white shoes with flooded, dark slacks?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I am about as neutral as one can be on this issue. I see valid points in both arguments, and went through the whole debate ad nauseam when my alma mater changed it's nickname from 'Redskins'.

With that said, would anyone feel comfortable calling a Native American a 'Redskin' to their face?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

True, but I'd be willing to bet that it had something to do with them being considered barbaric or war-like or savage. I doubt it was meant to be overtly insulting but the connotations are still there.

Like the Cowboys, the Trojans, the Irish... almost every ethnicity has gone to war or has some level of violence associated with it...

"Cowboy" is an occupation.
"Irish" is a nationality.
Troy and Trojans havn't existed for a few millenia now.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I am about as neutral as one can be on this issue. I see valid points in both arguments, and went through the whole debate ad nauseam when my alma mater changed it's nickname from 'Redskins'.

With that said, would anyone feel comfortable calling a Native American a 'Redskin' to their face?

Well Ive never had a problem calling my friends pale face so I dont really get your point?
Its a discription of sorts. When discribing someone I can say he was Black however I wouldnt walk up to him and say hey black man. He'd say really thanks for telling me. It would be redundent not insulting.
People are just way to fast to look for reasons to feel someone else could be offended.

If you renamed them the Washington Whiteskins everyone would be up in arms because its racist and elitism oppressing minorities. Crazy world we live in.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
If they must be renamed, and since all Washington is known for these days is taking our money, they should be renamed to the Greenbacks and use pictures of IRS agents on their helmets.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

"Cowboy" is an occupation.

Cowboy is also a euphemism for ranch hand or any number of other names.. it just happens to be one that is embraced by many... it's also closely associated with killing and violence in the old west...

Quote:

"Irish" is a nationality.

Is it the Drinking Irish? Is it the Potato Growing Irish? Is it the "Invented the Submarine Irish"? Is it the "Improved Edisons Nickel-Zinc Battery Irish"? Nope, it's the Fighting Irish....

Quote:

Troy and Trojans havn't existed for a few millenia now.

A millenia and a half, but whose counting.... Rome still exists, the history is actually celebrated by many whose ancestors can be traced back to that period, to the best of my knowledge, the coliseum still exists where Christians were fed to lions and countless others were tortured and killed for sport, I think USC even plays in a stadium that is named after it........ Warring Indians don't exist any more either in this country.. how long after they are done fighting until we can use their likeness for a sports team?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's the Fighting Irish, not the Fighting Micks. I think that's the more appropriate analogy to "Redskin"

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's the Fighting Irish, not the Fighting Micks. I think that's the more appropriate analogy to "Redskin"

Perhaps... but people also take exception to the use of "Indians" "Seminoles" "Fighting Sioux", etc...

yebat' Putin
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:

While I don't really agree with making the Redskins change their name I don't think comparing the Redskin name with the Indians, Seminoles etc is close to an equal comparison.And I do understand why some would find it offensive.

My son, adopted from Guatemala, is more than 50% Maya. We went to an Indians game where demonstrators were protesting "Chief Wahoo". I asked him what he thought about the protest, and about "Chief Wahoo" and he couldn't believe people would be offended by the logo. He said he was proud of his Maya heritage and that the Indians, Washington Redskins, other teams names/logos had nothing to do with him. He said the logos were not degrading to native Americans, and he was OK with them.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I will ask again if they called them the Washington Whiteskins or better yet Palefaces would anyone have a problem but the people complaining now? I know I wouldnt care 1 bit.
Its not like they have some toothless degeneret as a representation either. non issue. Maybe we should be insulted by the patriots because the guy is white.

Legend
Legend

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
That's the thing that gets me, when one race or group gets offended on behalf of another group.... I'm white, another guy is black, he makes a comment about native American women and I get offended on their behalf...

yebat' Putin
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Washington D.C. Mayor wants Redskins name change

Link Copied to Clipboard