Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...32459--nfl.html

Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree charged with DUI just days before the scouting combine

.By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner – 2 hours 54 minutes ago.. .

Alec Ogletree has a lot of explaining to do. (Getty Images)There's never a good time to get a DUI, of course, but just a few days before the scouting combine, when you're a draft prospect? Yeah, that's especially bad. Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, who found himself 28th on Shutdown Corner's pre-combine Big Board, now finds himself in this situation. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk heard from Pat Dye, Jr., Ogletree's agent, who told him this:

“Last weekend, my client Alec Ogletree was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona. After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

Ogletree was also suspended four games at the start of the 2012 for a "violation of team rules," which, according to reports, was actually a violation of the team's substance-abuse policy. He still managed to make All-SEC Second team with 98 tackles in nine regular games, including 15 stops each against South Carolina and Georgia Tech. He added 13 tackles and a sack in the Bulldogs' 45-31 win over Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1. He declared his intention to make himself available for the draft soon after.

Sadly, Ogletree has more examples of sub-par judgment. One day before what was supposed to be his first collegiate start, he was arrested for the theft of a motor scooter helmet that belonged to a member of Georgia's track and field team. Head coach Mark Richt suspended Ogletree for one game.

[Related: From Senior Bowl to combine, drills change, intensity picks up]

Based on his game tape alone, Ogletree was projected by most as a first-round prospect, even after the four-game suspension, because his athleticism and pure speed make him the ideal player for the NFL's new linebacker template -- the half-field defender who can cover slot receivers and tight ends as well as he can slam downfield on run fits. Had he simply gone into the combine interview process and had only that suspension to answer for, he'd still be in pretty good shape. Teams realize that young men make mistakes, and this is a player who explodes off the game film.

Now, however, Ogletree has a couple of things to deal with. Not only will he be interrogated by teams who want to know about a pattern of questionable behavior, he'll also be painted with the stigma of a guy who was, quite frankly, too dumb to realize that he needed to keep his nose clean so soon before the biggest interview situation of his life.

[Related: Plenty of offensive tackles available for NFL draft]

Ogletree had a good shot at being the first linebacker selected in this draft, but that's certainly in question now. LSU's Kevin Minter and Notre Dame's Manti Te'o could be rising up as a result of Ogletree's bad judgment. And Te'o, who was probably not looking forward to answering a bunch of questions about the recent and well-publicized fake girlfriend hoax, could not have asked for a better situation for himself. What Te'o went through was a simple embarrassment in comparison, and certainly doesn't seem so serious in the harsh light of comparison.

Oopsie Alec...that just seems like a braindead moment. Whatre you thinkin man

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
He had a substance abuse suspension at the start of this year, then bookends it with a DUI at the end.

He wasn't thinking.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He had a substance abuse suspension at the start of this year, then bookends it with a DUI at the end.

He wasn't thinking.

yep - seems like a pattern that you'd hope he'd grow out of...

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He was OFF my board well before this. Whoever picks this guy, deserves him, Bad class for ILBs imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I like it.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
How far would he have to fall before he would be worth the risk?

Reminds me alot of Burfict who went undrafted last year but played well for Cincy.

If he is still on the board in the 4th/5th I think he would be worth the risk.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Reminds me alot of Burfict who went undrafted last year but played well for Cincy.

If he is still on the board in the 4th/5th I think he would be worth the risk.

Burfict's problem was that he couldn't play on the field, and then had a disruptive personality. Oge has proved that he can play on the field.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
[quote
Burfict's problem was that he couldn't play on the field, and then had a disruptive personality. Oge has proved that he can play on the field.

Burfict had a disappointing last season but was a very highly regarded prospect the year before. Add in the off the feild concerns is why he wasnt drafted. I wouldnt say he couldnt play. Did he just forget how to play after his Junior year and then suddenly remember in Cinci? I said Ogletree reminded me of Burfict not that he was Burfict.

Regardless, how far do you think he will drop if at all and where would you be willing to take him were my questions. Not what do you think of my comparison to Burfict.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

[quote

Burfict had a disappointing last season but was a very highly regarded prospect the year before. Add in the off the feild concerns is why he wasnt drafted. I wouldnt say he couldnt play. Did he just forget how to play after his Junior year and then suddenly remember in Cinci? I said Ogletree reminded me of Burfict not that he was Burfict.

Regardless, how far do you think he will drop if at all and where would you be willing to take him were my questions. Not what do you think of my comparison to Burfict.

Well, Burfict had problems with that team. And his best friend, who also played defense on that team, and, from all accounts, kept him inline during games got injured his Sr. year. That's what happened his Sr. year. He just didn't get it for whatever reason.

I think Oge's going to drop like 2-3 slots. ILB class is weak, and the teams that need that position know they won't get another chance at any of them (Minter, Oge, Tio) in the next round. I'd take him in the late first. I like him and Minter about equally.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I don't know but Gordon had three weed issues and the last regime spent a second rounder on him. I guess we'll see.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
True Pit...Gordon's discretions were a little removed n possibly his year away from football would humble him??? We'll see if this new regime has a strict policy or a policy of forgiving if the Prospect shows remorse n maturity growth.

I hope we don't go the way of the Bengals n just go by the Ends justify the Means.

Obviously the kid will drop cause of the timing of this...just on the basis of stupidity let alone having more history in his closet. Also just as obvious...odds are he will be a Bengal.

Not only Gordon from the last regime but also Haden who had to come into the NFL w/Strike one already against him to get a suspension with his first indiscretion in the NFL. So I don't mind thought out lets get that talent rather than the JUST SAY NO to across the board. As long as we assess the kid has Matured. Now the Honey Badger kid scares me a lot...I think money gets in his hands n he's a Pac Man type.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dude looked slooooow at the combine.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Ogletree Plaxico's his draft status

Link Copied to Clipboard