Next Thread
Print Thread
#755913 02/19/13 04:54 PM
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
Rumors about UVA willing to make the jump...

Also UNC has received an offer to join the Big Ten

http://fansided.com/2013/02/19/north-carolina-tar-heels-receive-offer-to-join-big-ten/

EDIT: I'm going to note here that there is only one guy who has said anything yet and it's a dude who reports for the Terps. (Granted he was also the guy who broke the news about MD making the jump)

If there truly is an offer to the Tar Heels this story will pick up steam and B1G will have to comment on it it.

EDIT: also forgot to mention that the report also states that Georga Tech is also being talked about..

Last edited by The Collector; 02/19/13 06:45 PM.
S
Legend
Legend
S
UVA? UNC?

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO THAT!

N
Legend
Legend
N
UVA and UNC would be great additions. Opens the Southern corridor a bit more, adds academic prestige, and lots and lots of market value.

I would be a bit surprised though as I would have thought UVA (in particular) would be pushing hard for SEC admittance if they left the ACC. They are awfully proud of their Southern roots, no?

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I could see UVa going and I don't see either way how that would make any difference for the ACC.

That is a program that outside of lax has been very well...lax in success. UNC wouldnt leave for the rivalries they would destroy. I understand that teams have done it, but what sense would it make for UNC to leave the ACC where it fits within its programs being the same caliber in all sports as its counter parts, increase travel (3 road games a year within a stones throw), and lessen their success probability? Seems dumb.

With Cuse and Pitt joining...the ACC stacks up to what UNC represents and is successful in. To leave it to join B1G doesnt make sense.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
With UVA being mentioned, I wonder if Virginia Tech would be in the conversation as well.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
if the superconferences come to fruition, then either the ACC or the BigXII is going to fall. it makes the most sense for ESPN for it to be the ACC to fall (having a strong foothold in each region with just some overlapping of the conferences).

#gmstrong
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
No doubt in my mind that superconferences are coming to further put emphasis on the supposedly almighty dollar... Quantity doesn't always equal quality.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

No doubt in my mind that superconferences are coming to further put emphasis on the supposedly almighty dollar... Quantity doesn't always equal quality.

in this case it might though. 4x16 team conferences mean a likely 4-team tournament to decide the winner of each and then a 4 team tournament to decide the overall title. that makes a 16 team championship playoff format where everyone gets an equal shot at the beginning of the season.

you just have to be apart of the 64 teams. better get into a power conference while the gettings good.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
At what point is enough, enough?

I think the Big X needs to cool it for a while, as long as they want to preserve the NCAA.

I think you need 4-5 top level conferences. If one keeps raiding others we'll just end up with 2 or 3.....and maybe that's OK, but overall I think it will hurt the game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would be a bit surprised though as I would have thought UVA (in particular) would be pushing hard for SEC admittance if they left the ACC. They are awfully proud of their Southern roots, no?

UVA to the SEC? I don't see it. They are proud of their southern roots but they are more proud of their academics.. they are also in Charlottesville, which doesn't really add a big TV market for anybody, Richmond being the closest city of any size. The draw to the Big 10 is that a lot of UVA grads live in the DC area, so with MD and UVA, the Big 10 would gain a lot more strength in the DC market.. it would also create an immediate in-conference "rival" for MD who is going to the Big 10 without any history there... they already have a history with UVA... who knows, in adding MD and UVA, the secret behind the whole thing is the Big 10 trying to build it's lacrosse program.

UNC? I don't think the Big 10 has enough money in its coffers to lure UNC away... their 2 biggest rivals are 8 miles and 25 miles away... What other big time school can say that? Nobody that I can think of.... and I will just add, if UNC were to leave, the ACC is done, it would become the Big East.

Somebody brought up Va Tech, I think they would make a better potential partner than UVA for a couple reasons.. they are a better football school, they also have strong academics, they are a newer and less embedded ACC member, they also have the strong DC presence...

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
i did think about that with the academics and UVA, but the SEC has gotten better academically with their latest adds (A&M, Mizzou) to go along with a few of their other strong programs (Florida, Vanderbilt). it's still not the ACC/Big10 though in terms of academics.

as far as UVA v. VaTech, it seems like UVA is always the rumored team and I don't think that the Big10 would want both teams. I agree that VaTech makes sense in alot of areas as well.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Agreed. At some point too many is too much. The "Bigger 37 Conference" lacks charm, just too large. How super a superconference do you need to assemble? Unless we are just trying to boost the TV network base to compete head on with ESPN's and such. Wonder what a game you don't "own" within the conference is worth if these talked about schools join . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
That's the thing, it's all about building their TV networks. Bigger is better (in that context).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Quote:

Quote:

in this case it might though. 4x16 team conferences mean a likely 4-team tournament to decide the winner of each and then a 4 team tournament to decide the overall title. that makes a 16 team championship playoff format where everyone gets an equal shot at the beginning of the season.

you just have to be apart of the 64 teams. better get into a power conference while the gettings good.

I don't agree with this mindset at all. Gimme Gimme Gimme More More More mentality with these college programs. Throw out tradition and integrity to balloon the already fat wallets and add fuel to the arrogant fire. On paper and in the short term, people may think that having these superconferences is a good thing but you're just going to open up new cans of questions that will probably lead to the same old problems.

Get in when the gettings good? I prefer to pass and keep my integrity, thank you very much.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

...tradition and integrity...

I want to know when colligate sports were ever about tradition and integrity. Last I checked, it's been about money forever.

I was on another site when a member said the Cubs were being too greedy by potentially dropping WGN to chase a better TV contract. Like above, they've ALWAYS chased every last nickel. If anything, the "tradition and integrity" of the bottom line is alive and well.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
Legend
N
the University of Chicago and Holy Cross (and plenty of others) welcome you with open arms. of course, they might warn you that long-term it hurt their academics and research programs.

i don't get why people are so up in arms. who really cares what conference teams are in? the whole point is to get a balanced offseason with a tournament and a fair way of evaluating a champion. if a 64team setup among 4 conferences accomplishes such a thing, why is that bad?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't agree with this mindset at all. Gimme Gimme Gimme More More More mentality with these college programs.

So if you worked for Company A and Company B came along and offered you a 60% raise you would turn it down to maintain your tradition and integrity?

College sports at most institutions in the big conferences is about competing for championships, to compete for championships you have to recruit good players, to recruit good players you have to have good facilities and a good coach, to have good facilities and a good coach you have to have money...

I don't particularly like the system, but schools like Maryland, Arkansas, Iowa, West Virginia, Oregon State and a bunch of others don't want to be also rans in their conferences forever just for the sake of tradition..... there is no pride or prestige in that... they want to win.... and the way its set up, it's extremely hard to go from bottom of the conference to top of the conference without a big injection of cash and about 10 years of consistent growth and a fair amount of luck....

So if you don't like the system, that's fine, but don't blame the colleges, blame the fans who put so much emphasis on winning and competing at a national level.. that's the reason a coach who wins 9 football games a year almost every year gets fired.. because he's good, but he's not competing for championships... so he gets fired and you go find a new coach and pay him $3 million a year...

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Big Ten Expansion

Link Copied to Clipboard