Print Thread
#761862 03/11/13 05:34 PM
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
So I'm heading to Connecticut for a wedding for a week+ in June.

Any good ideas?

I'm staying in a home in Branford which is about 15 minutes from New Haven.

All I know is that Yale is in New Haven so I'm probably going to check that out and dole out any necessary wedgies and / or swirlies.

I know Foxwoods is in Connecticut.

It's going to be me, the wife and our 2 year old.

Any help, ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmm. I lived in Connecticut until 10 days ago. Branford has a nice coastline. You could always check out the beach.

15 min away in New Haven, there's the Peabody Museum. That's about it. May be go to dinner at Pepe's Pizza. It's one of the first Pizza Places ever in the USA. Featured on the Food Network.

Mystic is probably 45 minutes away. They've got an old-fashioned village and a famous aquarium there. And there's a Pizza Spot famous for the Julia Roberts movie (my g/f is saying that cause she is next to me, I don't watch that trash)

Ummm, catch a minor league baseball game if you want in New Haven or Bridgeport (New Haven Ravens or Bridgeport Bluefish). You can catch a ferry over to Long Island in Bridgeport and take a ride over to the Hamptons. You can catch a ferry to Block Island or Fisher's Island, which are very nice islands.

Not much else to do in Connecticut. Essex is very nice, my parents who are like 60's, 70's and enjoy boats go over there and get lunch sometimes. There's this tavern over there that's pretty famous

Honestly, I love CT in the summer. It's my favorite. I'm hoping Chicago can compete, although I'll definitely spend some time there this summer. But that's because I lived on the water and I'd go to the beach and go sailing all the time. It was volleyball, the beach, summer bars, the Yankees, and sailing all the time. Tough to beat. But for a casual visit, I'd say, bring some beach stuff, and go to one of the public beaches. Masquamakit should be like an hour away if you want to go to the ocean. It's very nice and in Rhode Island, and it's over near the Foxwoods and Mohican Sun.

Newport is about 1:45 away, and that's a really cool town if you want to go all the way there. That's all Rhode Island though, but Newport has these old mansions, and if you're into boats, it's great to walk around the harbor. I like to just go there, take a look at the boat yards and the docks. It's also got nice little pub bar things that are pretty salty. It's a sailing town, home of NY Yacht Club's Club House (that's actually on the water)

PS: Foxwoods and Mohican Sun are both in CT and both about an hour from Branford

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/11/13 07:10 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Head over to Mystic, check out the Amistad and have some really good seafood.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Head over to Mystic, check out the Amistad and have some really good seafood.

I suppose.

I have been to Mystic twice, and both times it was fogged in....I mean you couldn't see 25 feet in front of you.

No kidding here, you had to drive 10MPH....you couldn't see 3 stripes in front.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Any help, ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stay home.

On a serious note, have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have been to Mystic twice, and bothótimes it was fogged in....I mean you couldn't see 25 feet in front of you.

What time of year did you go?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have been to Mohegan a couple times for shows. They really do a nice job their. It all depends on what happens to be going on the nights you are there , I guess.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I have been to Mystic twice, and both times it was fogged in....I mean you couldn't see 25 feet in front of you.

What time of year did you go?

Had to have been mid September to early October....we always went for fall color season.....maybe 10 years in a row.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Had to have been mid September to early October....we always went for fall color season.....maybe 10 years in a row.

Hmm. Probably cause the water was warmer then the air. I think that's advection fog. I'm guessing it wasn't morning fog that burns off by noon?

Well I'm sorry to hear that Peen. It gets foggy on that side of CT where the ocean mixes with Long Island Sound sometimes. Supposedly they have huge problems with that on the coastal areas of Maine too. I am surprised that you get that two for two though.

Around me we rarely have major fog problems, but I'm about 60 miles west (along the coast). Sometimes on the water, but only once really for me where I couldn't see. Night time fog, pretty nerve wrecking considering I didn't have a compass and had no idea where I was going.

But I work on tugboats now, and it's nothing like all the fog you get at the base of the Mississippi River

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt just luck of the draw. We would usually fly in to Boston, but for whatever reason flew in to Hartford a couple of times to start the trip. No burning off for this stuff. This was 2PM type fog.

No doubt about the fog in the delta. Sticky fog to boot.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Going to Connecticut

Link Copied to Clipboard