Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#764319 03/15/13 08:28 AM
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Hey guys. Have not posted on these boards in a while before the main website went down, so I'm not sure if everyone posts their own mock drafts or what. I wanted to post my dream mock draft and what I think could end up happening and get everyone's thoughts. If this post is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it to the appropriate thread.

At this point, I would love to trade down maybe with the Rams or Vikings (who both have two first round picks) and pickup an extra 2nd and 4th round picks for our #6 spot...Here is my mock based off of a trade down.

1st Round - Jonathan Cooper OG/North Carolina -- OR -- Jarvis Jones OLB/Georgia. If we trade down, and Jarvis Jones for whatever reason drops to us at that spot, I think it's a no brainer to pull the trigger.

2nd Round - Matt Elam S/Florida -- OR -- Larry Warford OG/Kentucky. If we end up taking Jones or a pass rusher in the 1st round, we have to take a guard, but for the sake of realistic draft scenario lets just say we've addressed Safety and Guard.

3rd Round - John Simon OLB/Ohio State - Good defenses have good pass rushers, but quality depth makes a good defense great. I think Simon could make a fairly productive edge or stand up rusher, he is strong, athletic and has a motor that doesn't stop.

4th Round - William Gholston DE/Michigan State - Again, adding quality depth is always a must when switching defenses. Wynn, Hughes and Gholston as the three backup defensive lineman sounds awesome to me.

4th Round (From Trade) - Andre Ellington RB/Clemson -- OR -- Michael Ford RB/LSU. I think we need a speed/scat back somewhere in the draft, I know we just signed Obi but I still think adding one in the draft could be a possibility.

5th Round - Ace Sanders WR/South Carolina - Had a bad combine, his stock may have dropped but the guy is very quick and was South Carolina's most explosive player, and he put up good numbers with a very shakey Quarterback situation and did it against good competition.

6th Round - Tyrann Matheui (Spelling?) CB/LSU - Why not take the risk in the 6th round on a guy who might have huge potential? We'll see.

7th Round - Zack Boren FB/Ohio State - Not an Ohio State homer by any stretch of the imagination, but we need a hard nosed fullback on this team. I think Smelley could be it, but drafting a guy to push him isn't a bad idea especially in the 7th round.

Again if this needs moved, please move it. What does everyone think?

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you trade the #6 to either the Rams, moreso the Vikings, it will cost them both 1st rounders, not a 2nd. This year perhaps may be different as there may be less interest after the first three or four slots...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think a trade down is absolutely possible and a name I'll throw out there that no one is really talking about relative to us and a trade down candidate is Tyler Eifert. Depending on where we trade down to and what we do in FA, he could be a possibility. TE is a need on this team and he would add another offensive weapon. Chud and Norv love their TEs.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
the obvious trade-down partner to me is with the Bills. Do they want Geno Smith? If they want a true shot at him and he's there when we are on the clock.. i'm sure the phone will ring inquiring about what it would take to jump the 7 spot (Cardinals), who are also in need of a QB.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's quite possible, Turk, but I believe the Bills are considering Nassib (Syracuse) in the 2nd round. I don't think we can get the Bills 2nd rounder to move up from #8 to our #6.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Please don't be offended, but I absolutely would hate that draft.

If we draft a Guard in the 1st round with the playmakers available, then we deserve to continue to suck. How many high draft picks do we need on our OL?

Isn't Elam more of a SS type than a FS type? If we draft a S, I want a true, centerfielder type FS.

I love John Simon ...... except that I don't know where he plays in the NFL.

As far as the rest, I'm not that deep into things yet.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think a trade down is absolutely possible and a name I'll throw out there that no one is really talking about relative to us and a trade down candidate is Tyler Eifert.

I dont follow much college ball but Eifert really stood out in a couple games I saw him in. Although he didnt seem to do much in the bowl game.

Joe Thomas #73
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I think a trade down is absolutely possible and a name I'll throw out there that no one is really talking about relative to us and a trade down candidate is Tyler Eifert.

I dont follow much college ball but Eifert really stood out in a couple games I saw him in. Although he didnt seem to do much in the bowl game.

when covered almost exclusively by Milliner

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK Lets take Mlliner

Joe Thomas #73
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK Lets take Mlliner

gladly would except that he'll be gone to JAX (or even Philly or Detroit if he lasts to them)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, but we wouldn't be drafting Milliner to cover tight ends.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
troll.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What is it about the Browns pick at 6 that make all the trade down pimps think other teams will want to come up to that spot?

If you have a senario that makes this plausible I would like to hear it. Right now it sounds like SWAG.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Joekel to the Chiefs
Fisher to the Lions

The difference between Lane Johnson and DJ Fluker is vast.

A team needing a LT could want to jump Arizona.

Miami being a logical team to do so.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
San Diego is another team biting on that.

Another scenario is Buffalo doesn't trade up higher and wants Smith. Cards cut Kolb and they pick after us. Could be an OT, but BUF might not want to risk it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As I said elsewhere I am not opposed to a trade down. But did want to know why others believed it to be plausible. So consider me offically on board given that the conditions necessary to create demand for the 6th pick present themselves.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Also QB...Geno had a good showing if Eagles, Jags or Raiders don't take him...Buffalo n Zona might have a battle to move up n get him...of course they can trade w/Lions as just as well.

So for me there is only two reasons for a team to want to move up.
Left Tackle scenario...or Geno Smith scenario.

But you are right not much for teams to move up...I've heard a lot of teams saying Trade Down as a possiblity. Not a strong up front draft...best players outside of LTs or a DT are all RAW PLAYERS not usual for Top 5 or Top 10. Evidence of the weak up front class we got this year. JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I do think that we could see an opportunity to trade down a couple of spots is Smith and/or one of the LT are still on the board.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

G
gsa Offline
Rookie
Rookie
G
This is my first time posting on this board. I have posted on the main website board occasionally.

I think the Browns should be able to trade down. The main possibilites being the Geno scenario and the LT scenario as you mention. That's 4 players as there are 3 top quality LTs. There is also the possibility Milliner will be available (and we should take him and not move down if he is available). But if we wanted to, there would be a market for Milliner. Milliner would be the only scenario where I would be opposed to a trade down. The worst case scenario is if all 3 LTs, Geno, and Milliner are gone when we pick. Even then, I'd imagine Dallas would want to trade up for Chance Warmack. So if we are smart we can come out ahead no matter what the scenario is.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

This is my first time posting on this board. I have posted on the main website board occasionally.

I think the Browns should be able to trade down. The main possibilites being the Geno scenario and the LT scenario as you mention. That's 4 players as there are 3 top quality LTs. There is also the possibility Milliner will be available (and we should take him and not move down if he is available). But if we wanted to, there would be a market for Milliner. Milliner would be the only scenario where I would be opposed to a trade down. The worst case scenario is if all 3 LTs, Geno, and Milliner are gone when we pick. Even then, I'd imagine Dallas would want to trade up for Chance Warmack. So if we are smart we can come out ahead no matter what the scenario is.

Welcome to the board.

GO BROWNS!
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

San Diego is another team biting on that.

Another scenario is Buffalo doesn't trade up higher and wants Smith. Cards cut Kolb and they pick after us. Could be an OT, but BUF might not want to risk it.

I really, really wanted SD to trade their second-rounder for the Cleveland's sixth overall pick. That would have given them Fisher. Then Jeff Backus retired and suddenly the Lions are probably going to take Fisher. Ugh, I'm still so upset over this.

As for the Browns, not signing a CB in FA (which was a stupid move considering it's a buyer's CB market), is going to force them to draft Milliner. Non-high draft pick CBs almost always suck in their rookie year, and Milliner is the only high draft pick CB.

Now if Milliner is taken by the Lions (which I don't think will happen for aforementioned reasons), the Browns really need to trade down to get Cooper, Warmack, or Cordarrelle Patterson. Hopefully that trading partner is San Diego so we can draft Fisher!

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I think Fisher is gone by the 5th pick. If the Chargers want a LT, they have to be satisfied with Lane Johnson and may have to trade up to 6 to get him over the Cards. I see it playing out as follows: 1. Chiefs - Joekyl, 2. Jags - Jones, 3. Raiders - Floyd, 4. Eagles - Fisher, 5. Lions - Ansah, 6. Browns - Milliner or trade back.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

I think Fisher is gone by the 5th pick. If the Chargers want a LT, they have to be satisfied with Lane Johnson and may have to trade up to 6 to get him over the Cards. I see it playing out as follows: 1. Chiefs - Joekyl, 2. Jags - Jones, 3. Raiders - Floyd, 4. Eagles - Fisher, 5. Lions - Ansah, 6. Browns - Milliner or trade back.

There's a strong possibility that can happen. Although I can definitely see the Eagles taking Milliner too. That would force a trade-down for the Browns IMO, as I've already written about.

E
Legend
Legend
E
gsa...one thing...I really doubt Warmack will be considered in the top 15. If Dallas moves up it would be just a couple of spots from their pick...not into the top 10. Warmack might not be the first OG taken now in this draft.
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
It may be my OSU homer attitude speaking, but i'd love to see Simon come to us...

LOVE IT!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

It may be my OSU homer attitude speaking, but i'd love to see Simon come to us...

LOVE IT!

+1

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

LOVE IT!

I like his skillset as an ILB for us. He reminds me of a more complete Gocong.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The OSU homer in me wants us to take Zach Boren in the 6th or 7th, or as a UDFA. I like Simon too, but I think he goes no later than the 2nd round. I don't know if Boren plays FB or ILB in the pros, but I bet he'll be a killer on special teams.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The OSU homer in me wants us to take Zach Boren in the 6th or 7th, or as a UDFA. I like Simon too, but I think he goes no later than the 2nd round. I don't know if Boren plays FB or ILB in the pros, but I bet he'll be a killer on special teams.

Amen +1

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
My 2013 BrownsFan80 Draft

1st round---Dee Millner, CB, Alabama. Stay at 6 unless a 2011 type trade comes along

3rd Round---T.J Mcdonald, S, USC. Ward and Mcdonald, Millner and Haden. Scary

4th Round---Lonnie Pryor, FB, FSU. Need a Dominant FB

5th Round---Brett Mayer, K, Nebraska. Used to kicking in bad climate.

6a----Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico.
6b---Tyler Shaw, Northwest MS St......Burner, slot guy, kick/punt returner.

Legend
Legend
If we draft BOTH a kicker AND a fullback, I'll be livid.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

yeah... you might be

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ditto ....... at least in the 4th/5th rounds. Maybe 6th and 7th might be acceptable.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In fairness, we do need a kicker and a fullback. But I agree that I wouldn't until 6/7.

But look at that draft again. Not only is it a kicker and fullback but also a TE. I wonder if any team in history has had that trifecta in one draft? Conceivably we could do it and also draft a punter! Shudder.

Just noticed that the last draft pick was a kick returner.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I really wouldn't draft a kicker at all, unless there is someone who is incredible special. There are tons of free agents available, along with soon to be UDFA all over the place. Most will prefer to sign with a team that has an opening if possible ..... and that's us.

I think that Lanning is in the lead as our Punter right now, and we'll probably bring in an UDFA or UFA to battle him for the job as well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If you can draft a 5 year starter with a 5, 6 or 7 why would you be livid. I have no problem spending a late round pick on a punter, FB, kicker, long snapper or mascot if he is great at his position.

I dont know if there is a kicker I would draft but there are a couple punters that I would draft as high as the 5th and the same with FB. Actually, I have no problem spending a 4th and beyond on those positions if the kid is good enough.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) My 2013 Browns mock draft.

Link Copied to Clipboard