Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
NFL announces compensatory picks for 2013 NFL Draft - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on...-2013-nfl-draft

PHOENIX -- The NFL announced on Monday from the 2013 NFL owners meetings that the league awarded 32 compensatory picks to 16 different clubs. These picks are given to teams losing more or better compensatory free agents than they acquires in the previous year.

The Falcons and Ravens received the most compensatory picks, with four each, while the Texans, Chiefs and Titans each received the highest-possible pick, with an third-round selection each.

The Texans, who lost Jason Allen, Mike Brisiel, Joel Dressen and Mario Williams (while gaining Bradie James and Donnie Jones) were awarded the highest selection of all teams, netting the 95th-overall pick (33rd pick in the third round).

Since 1994, no one has more compensatory picks awarded than the Ravens with 37, for those fans freaking out about Baltimore's free-agent exodus. (The Packers are next with 31.) And this year, once again, Mr. Irrelevant will be chosen by the Colts, who hold the final pick in the NFL Draft. (Compensatory picks cannot be traded.)

The chart is better on the actual site.

Code:

Team
Round
Pick-Overall Pick
Texans
33-95
Chiefs
33-96
Titans
33-97
Ravens
33-130
49ers
34-131
Lions
35-132
Falcons
36-133
Dolphins
33-166
Packers
34-167
Ravens
35-168
Texans
33-201
Titans
34-202
Ravens
35-203
Chiefs
36-204
Raiders
37-205
Steelers
38-206
Eagles
33-239
Bengals
34-240
Seahawks
35-241
Seahawks
36-242
Falcons
37-243
Falcons
38-244
Lions
39-245
49ers
40-246
Ravens
41-247
Titans
42-248
Falcons
43-249
Dolphins
44-250
Bengals
45-251
49ers
46-252
Giants
47-253
Colts
48-254

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Surprised we didn't get a pick. I know we have not been players in Free Agency under Heckert. Thought we lost our starter RB Hillis...FS Adams.

Not that I wanted a 7th round pick just the identity that we didn't sign FA's n spend money n lost some guys??? We are talking what happened in 2012 not this off season.

JMH???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Yes....this off season counts towards next year since the new league year srarted in late Feb.

The picks are largely valued by the amount of contract dollars you lost (the contract value the new team signed him for) v what you gained. Losing Hillis and whoever was offset by us signing Rucker and whoever else.

We probably won't get any picks next year either as the contract values we just picked up will probably be way more than we give up.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

No surprise really, but was thinking we might get a late 7th, as they like to be around 255 picks, and sometimes award the early drafting teams at the end of the draft with an additional pick.

With the comp's announced that sets the draft order...

Our picks are:

Round 1 = #6

Round 3 = #68

Round 4 = #101

Round 5 = #132

Round 6 = #163 (from eagles)

Round 6 = #165

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Legend
Legend
I liked it better when we had 11 picks.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

No surprise really, but was thinking we might get a late 7th, as they like to be around 255 picks, and sometimes award the early drafting teams at the end of the draft with an additional pick.

Just to be more specific, there are always 32 picks (basically an eighth round) allowed, so the number is 256. This year, Cleveland and New Orleans are docked their 2nd rounders, so the total is 254.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Just to be more specific, there are always 32 picks (basically an eighth round) allowed, so the number is 256. This year, Cleveland and New Orleans are docked their 2nd rounders, so the total is 254.

I wouldn't say we were docked, I thinkwe stole the best WR that would be in this years draft ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I liked it better when we had 11 picks.

We had 13 picks until all the wheeling and dealing in last year's draft.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I was 50/50 on if we were going to be granted a comp... pick. Ah well...

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

We probably won't get any picks next year either as the contract values we just picked up will probably be way more than we give up.

In the light of that, it seems there is even less to be liked about the two or three also rans that they just signed in the free agency period. It really shows that the old regime was starting to get it. For one, I always look forward to draft picks because you have a chance to develop them and mold them into their careers and in the future when they leave they bring you compensatory picks, and they pan out about 30% of the time if you consider only 2nd -5th round guys.

Whereas, free agent signings rarely pan out worth a (anything), you're already getting a player who is older than 22-23, the average draft picks age, and even if they work out, marginally, for a few years , ... like Orpheous Roye, and """maybe""" Jamal Lewis, ... even if, ... when they leave they don't bring you anything but memories.

The bottom line is, unless your're signing the really good guys, and they don't come to Cleveland, for a NUMBER of reasons, like San Fran did this year, with Phil, and last year with a couple of receivers.

Unless you're signing the really good guys, free agents signings stink! And they screw up the organizations future which is doubly bad.
That is, of course, unless you are signing your OWN free agents.

The 2nd bottom line is. Unless you can add 9+ players from the college ranks in the draft, then, no matter what kind of quality you think you got, you are coming out of that weekend 2ND BEST!
That's just the way it is, in 2011, 2012, this year, and going into the future. Part of that is, the fact that, signing 9 + players, in that mid level range, give you a chance to let some aged vets go in free agency and replace them with younger talent.

If you only come out of the draft with 6 or 7 guys, when it's clear over time that anyone selected after the 160 range has a much higher chance to do almost zero, then that means you only get 4 or 5 guys that might contribute in the future.

That is just not enough, and it might take a few years, but it will catch up to your organization and you will be at a competitive disadvantage.

And THAT IS WHY, getting 8 or less players each year in the draft, is losing in the draft game.

Hey! You can't win a championship in the off-season, but you can sure as (something) ensure losing. We are witnessing this again, for the upteenth year.

I wish these new guys would figure it out.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I see those Optimists Anonymous meetings are paying dividends.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I see those Optimists Anonymous meetings are paying dividends.

Good one

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I am not extremely familiar with the compensatory pick process, but how did the Chargers not get one after losing Vincent Jackson?

Legend
OP Online
Legend
It is a top secret formula that the NFL has shared with exactly no one ...... and it depends on the value of certain veteran contracts vs the loss of veteran free agent contracts.

Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are looking at this year or last. I thought that Hillis was factored into last year's equation, but I could be wrong. The NFL won't tell.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

i'm pretty sure Phil Dawson should count as two comp picks

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Hillis would have done much for the Chiefs we probably would have gotten a late round pick as it was we lost Hillis, S Mike Adams, OL Artis Hicks and OL Steve Vallos last year and the only one that really did anything was Adams but we signed Rucker and Parker whose performance was equal to what we lost thus no compensation.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It is a top secret formula that the NFL has shared with exactly no one ...... and it depends on the value of certain veteran contracts vs the loss of veteran free agent contracts.

Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are looking at this year or last. I thought that Hillis was factored into last year's equation, but I could be wrong. The NFL won't tell.

It's not all that secret. I used a post on a detroit lions message board (made in January) before this year's were announced and it was about 90% correct.

I'm going to include projected 2014 comp picks on my web site once I finish the application I'm working on.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Yeah, but the NFL has never written out what the rules are for compensatory picks.

We don't know if every contract counts, or as many opine, only those above the veteran's minimum count ...... whether or not actual player performance matters or not ... (and I believe that it does not) and so on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

j/c

in the first round but it only counts next year

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

j/c

So next year we be compensated for Dawson Watson and who else?

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

So next year we be compensated for Dawson Watson and who else?

We probably won't be, because we signed Kruger, Bryant, and Groves.

Those contracts will outweigh Dawson and Watson's deals.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Did not know it worked that way, I thought you were compensated for who you lost not penilized for who you signed ...

Legend
Legend
So far, we have signed:
Paul Kruger: 5 years, $41 MM (~$8.2 MM / year)
Desmond Bryant: 5 years, $34 MM (~$6.8 MM / year)
Quentin Groves: 2 years, $2.8 MM (~$1.4 MM / year)
Gary Barnidge: 3 years, $3.75 MM (~$1.25 MM / year)

Signed away:
Kaluka Maiava: 3 years, $6 MM (~$2 MM / year)
Ben Watson: 3 years, ? ($? MM / year)
Phil Dawson: ? years, ? ($? MM / year)

so we currently get no picks. Josh Cribbs will likely sign with someone above the vet minimum I think. We'd still need one more guy (Sheldon Brown? Massaquoi? Parker? Brandon Jackson?) after Cribbs to sign a non-minimum deal to get a pick, assuming we don't sign another qualifying contract.

Rucker doesn't count, because he was cut.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Did not know it worked that way, I thought you were compensated for who you lost not penilized for who you signed ...

lol, it's not penalized. There are only 32 picks given out across the league each year. Getting a draft pick for each free agent lost would be a tremendous disincentive to retain your own players. Everyone would be on one-year deals and the draft would take a week otherwise.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
There is some formula where veteran minimum deals, and older player minimum deals don't count against the new team ...... but also not credited.

In other words, a player like Brown probably would not count in any part of the equation.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) NFL Announces Compensatory Picks

Link Copied to Clipboard