Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap100000...ise-quarterback

Quote:

Mike Glennon grades out as a future NFL franchise quarterback

By Bucky Brooks
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: March 21, 2013 at 02:27 p.m.
Updated: March 21, 2013 at 03:57 p.m.

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Mike Glennon is a franchise quarterback.

That statement certainly will draw the ire of evaluators with a lesser opinion of the North Carolina State star, but my experience in the NFL as a player and scout leads me to believe Glennon possesses all of the traits to be an effective starting quarterback as a pro.

Measuring in at 6-foot-6, 222 pounds with A-plus arm talent, Glennon is a prototypical pocket passer, the kind that dominated the NFL in the 1990s and is still flourishing today. He is at his best when working off five- and seven-step drops in the pocket, delivering accurate strikes to receivers on intermediate and deep routes. Whereas some quarterbacks are most comfortable compiling completions on a variety of dink-and-dunk throws, Glennon is the master of the pro throw, which requires him to push the ball downfield on deep comebacks, square-ins and post-corner routes. Additionally, he excels at throwing vertical routes following strong play-action fakes in the backfield.

When I watch Glennon, I see glimpses of Baltimore Ravens QB Joe Flacco. These observations stood out to me while I studied six of Glennons's game tapes (Tennessee, Miami, Florida State, North Carolina, Clemson and Vanderbilt). I also traveled to Raleigh, N.C., on Wednesday to observe Glennon's pro day in person. Here's a complete breakdown of what I saw, both on tape and on the practice field:
Arm Talent

To earn a blue-chip grade in the minds of most scouts, a quarterback must display exceptional arm strength, velocity and zip consistently during his play. Glennon has all of that and might be the most gifted passer in the 2013 class. He has the capacity to make every throw in the book with zip or touch; he doesn't have any problem making rope throws to the outside portion of the field from the opposite hash. This is the ultimate test of a quarterback's arm strength, and Glennon passes with flying colors. In addition, he shows the ability to push the ball down the field 50-plus yards with superb touch and ball placement. Glennon understands how to change the trajectory of his deep throws to provide his receivers with enough time to run underneath his high-arcing rainbows. Given the fact that most offensive coordinators covet a quarterback with natural passing skills, Glennon's raw talent certainly puts him in the conversation as a high pick.
Mobility

One of the biggest knocks on Glennon is his lack of athleticism and mobility within the pocket. Critics suggest he's a sitting duck in the pocket, making it easy for NFL pass rushers to hunt him down off the edges. Moreover, critics wonder if Glennon has the ability to slide, avoid and step up to deliver accurate strikes within a collapsing pocket. Given the need for NFL quarterbacks to routinely make strong throws within a muddy pocket, the questions about Glennon's athleticism and mobility certainly are warranted. When I watched Glennon perform on tape, I believed he displays better maneuverability than he is given credit. While he lacks the quickness and agility to consistently avoid rushers in the pocket, I saw several instances where he would step up to deliver accurate throws against pressure. Now, these occurrences are not enough for me to upgrade his athletic assessment, but I've seen limited athletes like Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde and Matt Ryan thrive within the pocket; I'm not concerned about Glennon's ability to make strong throws from a seven-yard launch point behind the center.
Decision Making

Another area of concern regarding Glennon's game has been his penchant for turnovers. He has tossed 29 interceptions over the past two seasons, including 17 picks in 2012. Although those numbers certainly standout on the stat sheet, it is important to note that Glennon attempted 1,017 passes in his 26 career starts. That breaks down to 39.1 attempts a game, which is a lot to ask of a quarterback in a vertical passing game with a number of high-risk throws.

When I broke down the tape to discover reasons behind Glennon's alarming interception total, I noticed that most of his turnovers were the result of poor footwork leading to errant throws from the pocket. When Glennon fails to set his feet or properly step into his throws, his balls sail woefully off target. Additionally, he took too many chances attempting to squeeze balls into tight windows over the middle of the field. While some turnovers are expected in a high-risk offense, the fact that Glennon can reduce his miscues from the pocket with better footwork and mechanics is encouraging. Now, he must find a way take some of the instruction that he receives from coaches and put it into practice on the field, but every quarterback in the 2013 class must refine an area of their game to become a productive first-year starter. Glennon is definitely in that boat.
Clutch Factor

Quarterbacks must be able to inspire confidence in their teammates by playing well in key moments. From executing flawless drives in two-minute situations to connecting on critical third-down plays in a pivotal situations, the top quarterbacks in the NFL thrive under pressure. Glennon strikes me as a player who plays well in big games. This was particularly evident when I watched him lead his squad back from deficits against Florida State and North Carolina. He was outstanding in the UNC game in particular, rallying his team from a 25-7 deficit. He finished the game completing 29 of 52 passes for 462 yards with five touchdowns and two interceptions. If not for the fact that his receivers dropped 11 balls in that contest, Glennon might have tossed for 500-plus yards against the Tar Heels.

Against Florida State, Glennon directed his troops back from an early 16-0 deficit to knock off the Seminoles at Carter-Finley Stadium. In doing so, he connected on 30 of 55 passes for 259 yards with two touchdowns, including the game-winner with two seconds remaining on the clock. Most importantly, he converted three fourth-down passes, including one inside the 15-yard line on the game-winning drive. Given the importance of playing well in key moments, Glennon's display of poise and composure in the clutch suggests to me that he possesses the right mental makeup to be successful in the NFL.
Workout Evaluation

As I mentioned on "Path to the Draft", Glennon's workout wasn't your typical scripted performance designed to mask a quarterback's deficiencies. The N.C. State star primarily threw intermediate or vertical throws throughout the workout. From a series of deep comebacks and post-corners to a variety of deep crossers, post- and go-routes down the field, Glennon let it fly in front of 38 coaches and scouts (including Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Doug Whaley and New York Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg). He showcased his exceptional arm strength and talent in a challenging workout that featured every conceivable throw in a playbook deeply rooted in West Coast offense concepts or three-digit passing game principles. Moreover, he gave evaluators the opportunity to see him make throws that are customarily reserved for NFL quarterbacks on Sundays.

It did not go unnoticed by the scouts in attendance. Following the pro day, I talked to several who left impressed with the structure of the workout and Glennon's performance on the day. Although he missed a handful of throws on intermediate routes, he showed his capacity to make line drive throws through a slight headwind. For teams located in climates where the weather plays a factor near the end of the season (New York Jets, Buffalo and Cleveland, in particular), Glennon's ability to execute in those unfavorable conditions will carry weight in the final evaluation.

If I had to point out a few areas of concern based on the workout, I would continue to point to Glennon's ability to make accurate throws out of rhythm. By that, I mean he must continue to demonstrate to coaches and scouts that he can drop back, move to his right or left, reset his feet and deliver accurate strikes down the field. In the NFL, the pocket routinely breaks down and elite quarterbacks find a way to maneuver within the pocket to make accurate throws. Glennon's limited athleticism could lead to some issues at the next level; he must continue to refine his footwork, agility and body control to ensure consistent throws from the pocket.

Finally, Glennon must convince coaches and scouts he has the right personality to take charge in the locker room. Franchise quarterbacks must be able to inspire confidence in their teammates through their performance and verbal prodding. Even quiet leaders like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco have to step up and hold their teammates accountable by challenging them in one-on-one or small group confrontations. Evaluators still have concerns about whether Glennon possesses that take-charge personality. When I asked Glennon about this following the workout, he pointed to the leadership styles of Manning and Flacco as examples of how he envisions his personality evolving at the next level. Furthermore, he told me to ask his teammates if they believed he had the moxie to be a leader at the highest level. If Glennon can remain steadfast in his belief in his leadership style and convince enough personnel men that he is capable of leading a team in the right direction, he can certainly build a case to be one of the top quarterbacks selected in the draft.
Conclusion

I've been one of Mike Glennon's biggest fans since the middle of the season. I believe he has all the physical tools that you covet at the position. I respect his intelligence (Glennon already has obtained a master's degree in liberal arts to accompany an undergraduate degree in business administration) and football savvy. I believe he is a second-round talent with the ability to emerge as a star in the right system.

In my opinion, the right system should consist of a philosophy that features a dominant downhill running game complemented by a vertical passing attack. From a personnel standpoint, it will be important for the team that acquires Glennon to have a workhorse running back in place to facilitate an effective play-action passing game. If I had to point to a blueprint for success for Glennon, I would point to the Atlanta Falcons' development of Matt Ryan. Thomas Dimitroff provided his franchise quarterback with multiple threats in the passing game, and surrounded him with a solid offensive line. If a team is willing to do the same for Glennon, he could also emerge as a franchise quarterback capable of leading a team into the postseason.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

Honestly, not being a guy that follows college ball enough to know about players like this that could be hidden gems, I was just wondering what you guys thought.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Sometime last year I was watching nc state and thought "he seems like he'd make a good backup for Weeden.". They're very similar to me.

Then I saw him with his helmet off and I'm convinced he's Weeden's son.

*edit* and he wouldn't really qualify as a hidden gem... He's been mocked as high as 8 to buffalo this off-season.

Last edited by clevesteve; 03/21/13 05:15 PM.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I always enjoy going back and reading predictions of guys like Brooks...

Quote:

• Who would impact the Falcons most as the third-overall pick?

Of all the players available for Atlanta at No. 3, including possibly Jake Long, Matt Ryan and Glenn Dorsey, the LSU defensive tackle would make the biggest impact on the franchise.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/wr...l#ixzz2ODG3ZXWD

Since the organization has seemed to sit on the sideline in their quest to find competition for Weeden, I've spent several vacation days doing three things: Golfing, the girlfriend, and watching everything I could find on all the viable QB's in this draft.

So what about Glennon. Well, for starters, I certainly like him more than I ever liked Weeden.

The BAD:
I've read that he's got "NFL size." That's a myth, as he only goes 225 on a 6'7 body. That's awfully light in the ass, people. He does a great job of wearing enough sleeves and pads to cover it up on film, but he has a frail body. Exhibit A:

Has a tendency to stare down his receivers
Steps away from throws far too often instead of driving, relying solely on arm-strength
Will drop back shoulder when making deeper throws losing accuracy
Not very courageous in the pocket in the face of pressure
Loses his mark when scrambling around
Will make an NFL throw then turn around and miss terribly
Poor play-action mechanics which need a bunch of work
Poor pocket awareness
Marginal mobility

The GOOD:
Has a quick, over-the-top release without any load (much better than Weeds)
Best arm in this draft
Has solid footwork for a big guy, keeping his feet moving and his body balanced to throw
Played in and operated an NFL-style offense
Good accuracy when given time
Showed he knows how to work his way through his progressions
Kept his eyes downfield when moving around in the pocket
Got used to taking punishment in college
Very natural spinner of the football, almost never throwing wobblers
Willing to check it down if something deeper wasn't there

I used to view Glennon as a 3rd round guy who would end up going in the 2nd, but I think he's going to end up in the 1st now. I'm not sold on Manuel going ahead of Glennon, but I suppose that depends on whether a team falls in love with his mobility and intends on using him in the spread. I'm beginning to think that Glennon may end up being the 2nd guy taken, in which case I'd apologize to Mel Kiper for saying he's been smoking bad granola when stating Glennon would go in the 1st. The big issue for Glennon is going to be holding up to NFL punishment, and it's his very-thin NFL body that'll keep him from going higher.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I put him in a similar category with most of these QBs, they seem to be ok at most things but nothing really eye popping in their skill set. Reminds me to much of Rick Mirer without Rick's arm. The best thing in his skill is the long strides in his drops. He can really set deep and pretty quick for a guy that often looks pretty uncoordinated.

Now with that said, once he takes a good hit, he starts squaring his body and stops stepping into his throws which causes some throws to get away from him. I have a fairly similar grade on him with Manuel, Jones and Bray. I agree with toad in that he will probably go in the first but I just havent seen him separate from the others to have that high of a grade.

It is just one big pile of QBs and I would not draft one before the 3rd. You will get the same quality in the 3rd and 4th as you will 1st and 2nd. Seriously is there anyone prepared to say Gino, Barkley and Glennon are a lock to be better than Manuel, Jones, Bray and Wilson? I certainly am not.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I don't know why, but very time I hear his name I think Derek Anderson. As such, I'll defer to others....

Legend
Legend

Glennon is the one quarterback that I would not touch. In addition to what you have clearly stated in regards to his physical make up he lacks huddle presence. I have listened to interviews. He does not come off as a natural leader. He looks to be about 14. He just has no presence to him.

I know that this is an intangible characteristic. But I do not see Glennon leading a group of veteran players.

I remember watching a game between NC State and Florida State when Phillip Rivers was at NC St. It was just so clear that Rivers was the "man". You could see the way the team responded to him in the huddle and on the sidelines. At the time I knew nothing about Rivers. As I watched the game I said this guy will be a NFL quarterback.

I watched Glennon at the Senior Bowl practice week and the game He looked lost. He was horrible inconsistent. He showed no touch and I at times horrific accuracy.

He is just a tall narrow frame kid with a big arm. Poor mobility, bad footwork, can not handle pressure and is inconsistent in almost every aspect of the game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I liked him from the Senior Bowl thinking he would be perfect for our team.

1. I'm looking at him for our 3rd round pick cause we sure as heck are not going to pick him at #6. More than likely anyone I start out looking for our next pick (3rd) if he is as good as I think...they end up in the first round or early 2nd!

2. But he is a perfect example of a developmental QB for us as we play Weeden.
Size...225? its something that will slowly be put on him some muscle get him a comfortable 240 at the least with most for his Base/Legs. Part of the development.

I think his throwing ability is perfect from my vision of what we are looking to do with our Offense.

Very key - I am pretty sure Geno Smith will be the first QB taken in 2013. Barkley, Manuel, Bray, Wilson n Nassib along with Glennon are very close to each other so to me the key is HOW FAR DOES GENO DROP?? The later the better the chance one of them but for me the one I want dropping to us in the 3rd is Glennon.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
as an NCST fan...

The kids decision making is questionable at best....Too often he throws a ball that should be thrown, he puts em in places they don't belong.

Im good with passing on him. Hes mediocre at best. Move along, nothing to see here

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

as an NCST fan...

The kids decision making is questionable at best....Too often he throws a ball that should be thrown, he puts em in places they don't belong.

Im good with passing on him. Hes mediocre at best. Move along, nothing to see here

+1

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Brandon Weeden is our franchise QB for the next 6 years.

You know, maybe this guy would be better if he got a vote of confidence. I think he did a good job last year, given the offensive scheme he had to work with. I saw a "young" man getting used to the game and really taking a beating in the process. Give him one more year before we look for another QB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Give him one more year before we look for another QB.

Even if you have Andrew Luck, you should not stop looking for another QB. I like Weeden but I dont like him enough to put all my eggs in the Weeden basket. I draft a bargain developmental guy that will fit the scheme in the 3rd and let him give Weeden a strong push.

He can either push Weeden forward or out of the way. I do think Weeden was made for this offense. DA and Cam was successful under Chud and both are as inaccurate as Colt. Manuel, Bray or Jones would have a roster spot after the draft.

Who knows, I think this draft is setting up for the possibility of no QB going in the first.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

You know, maybe this guy would be better if he got a vote of confidence. I think he did a good job last year, given the offensive scheme he had to work with. I saw a "young" man getting used to the game and really taking a beating in the process. Give him one more year before we look for another QB.

No offense intended, but perhaps you've confused Brandon Weeden with Jeff Garcia, as Garcia got his teeth knocked in while Weeden had one of the best pass-blocking lines in the league.

Regarding his "vote of confidence" don't you have to earn people's confidence, or is it given just because you're a 1st-round selection?

Hey, if a QB has to have his widdle tushy patted like a child in order to feel good enough about his game to perform he doesn't belong in the NFL. Weeden is a grown man. He will either excel in an offense that will be tailor-suited to his game or he won't, and those things will happen based on his abilities, not whether he may have a fragile ego needs to be constantly stroked.

I did enjoy how you put the word "young" in quotes, though.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Who knows, I think this draft is setting up for the possibility of no QB going in the first.

If there's anything the 2011 draft taught the common fan it's that guys who don't belong in the first round like Ponder, Locker, and Gabbert (the guy Dj staked his reputation to ) will be taken way sooner than they should be.

Should any of these guys go in the first round? Smith is borderline, but the rest? Nope. Yet they will. I'm thinking three could go in the first with a big run coming on the rest in the 2nd, and I'm afraid we're going to waste a valuable pick on one because we did an idiotic thing and gambled on Brandon Methuselah, another developmental QB who went too early (and who was, not coincidentally, another Dj favorite ).

Having said that, I'm of the same opinion I have been for several years: Go ahead and build up the rest of the team and let the mediocre guys we have at QB take shots until it's time to really go after a winner. This idiotic cycle of reaching for QB's out of desperation has got to stop. Frye, Quinn, McCoy, Weeden...I wonder how many legit starters we may have if we didn't over-draft on guys who shouldn't have ever been taken where they did.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Give him one more year before we look for another QB.

Even if you have Andrew Luck, you should not stop looking for another QB. I like Weeden but I dont like him enough to put all my eggs in the Weeden basket. I draft a bargain developmental guy that will fit the scheme in the 3rd and let him give Weeden a strong push.

He can either push Weeden forward or out of the way. I do think Weeden was made for this offense. DA and Cam was successful under Chud and both are as inaccurate as Colt. Manuel, Bray or Jones would have a roster spot after the draft.

The only questions are:

What level of investment do you make in someone to oush the incumbent?

Is there quality worthy of a high investment, or are players likely to come off the board way before they should because of position ..... and does it make sense for us to get caught up in a buying spree where we pay too much for a player not worth what he costs in terms of a draft pick?

Frankly, I see no one in this draft who I, personally, would take in the 1st round. I might be talked into Geno Smith in the mid 2nd. He will go much higher, though, because of the position he plays. So will Barkley. Personally, I wouldn't touch Barkley before the 3rd. He'll probably go in the late 1st to 2nd though ..... or maybe higher to a desperate team. In fact, I think that both QBs will wind up going higher than they should to a desperate team. I hope that we're not that desperate.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Look at some point someone within the Browns organization has to get it right.

How they have failed in identifying a quarterback goes beyond incompetence. I thought when Holmgren and Heckert came here they would get it right. Holmgren's experience with quarterbacks I truly believed would make the difference.

Man was I wrong. When Griffin went to Washington and Weeden was drafted I just went numb. How could he be that wrong?

So, here we are. You would think with guys like Kaepernick and Wilson making a impact that someone within the Browns with all the tools available to them be able to ID real talent at the QB position.

You can not in my opinion wait till next year. Just to many unknowns. You have to dig and dig deep. Find a guy. If Geno looks like the guy do not be afraid. Pull the trigger. If you do not like the top ranked guys then take a flyer on a guy like Matt Scott.

Whoever you bring in there is no pressure to start the guy right away. They can let Weeden fall on his sword.

For me I have seen what I needed to see in regards to Weeden. Everything is stacked against his success. Starting with his age and progressing through his inability to put the ball in the right place to the right person at the right time.

There has to be someone out there that can provide an improvement.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Yes of course, let's just pat him on the back and send him out there..

I don't think I ever made any mention of him replacing Weeden did I? All I asked is, what about this guy?

I'm reasonably sure that McCoy won't last,, so we'll need someone else. We haven't picked up anyone in FA, we certainly aren't going to use the #6 pick on a QB, not in this draft anyway and how likely is it we'll find one just laying around after the draft?

I was thinking of him as a back up/challenge to Weeden.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Its funny but this draft class for QBs is all about developmental guys. Thts why I keep saying its one big clump of QBs and there isnt a lot of difference in them. This class however imho is stronger than the Cam Newton draft class. Mallett was my #1 QB in that class and he ended up falling to the 3rd. I did believe that atleast 7 QBs would go in the first that year.

I think that class is what will hurt this class. If AZ passes on a QB in the first and I think they will, QBs will fall like a rock. I think the Bills want Nassib in the 2nd. AZ will probably be content to wait until the 2nd as well. Now all of that could change really quick if a team like the Raiders go QB. It will create a feeding frenzy.

After the Cards, I really think everyone is going to wait untilt he 2nd or try to trade back into the first to get their guy. Right now i would guess 1 QB goes in the first but 6 will go in the 2nd.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

Quote:

Made me lol.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There certainly doesn't appear to be any sure things (not that there ever really are) but even more so this year.

but you know what will happen. There will be teams that think this guy or another guy is THE guy and they'll go for it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
As long as he doesn't wear 8 in the pros. We've already tried that.

I think all that's left is 1, 4, and 14 was successful so maybe that again...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) What about this guy: Mike Glennon

Link Copied to Clipboard