Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#767986 03/23/13 01:23 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
There are quite a few hunters on here I have seen, curious if anybody has gone shed hunting and has found anything?

I have went out numerous times and walked miles and haven't found a single shed. Although I did find a 150 class 11 point dead im gonna make a nice european mount out of.

Legend
Legend
I don't go shed hunting, but I've spent time in the woods in the spring. I've never found a shed either.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #767988 03/23/13 01:32 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Its quite honestly like finding a needle in a haystack though I am suprised I havent found any yet. The areas I have been looking are common places where they should be. Crick banks, bedding areas, feeding areas. etc.Though they can drop just about anywhere. Just havent caught any luck yet.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Ive gone out a couple times, but I think the coyote's get after em pretty quick. I know a guy that has a dog trained to find them and he does pretty well sometimes, then others nothing,

Legend
Legend
I'm no hunter ..... so I had no idea what shed hinting was.

I had visions of someone with a gun, Elmer Fudd style ..... sneaking through the back yards of Suburbia ...... hunting sheds.

"Be vewy vewy qwuiet ..... I an hunting sheds ........."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Arps #767991 03/23/13 02:11 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A shed dog would be nice to have. Wouldnt even know where to start on training one though.

Next year I think im gonna make about 10 shed traps with some chicken wire.or maybe a tall box they can bang em on when they are eating the corn. Chicken witre is kind of iffy because if they arent ready to come off the either get hung up in them or they tear them to shreds if they aren't ready to fall off.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
lol

All Pro
All Pro
I have found 17 half racks this year. Set up some wire garden fence in the woods about 6 feet in the form of a V, stake it in good or tie it to trees. Throw down some cracked corn in the V and check it every day. When they eat the corn their antlers get stuck in the fencing and if they are ready to come off you will find them laying by the corn.

GO BROWNS!
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Yeah I mentioned that a few posts ago. I was going to build some shed traps this year but I put it off and put it off, I regret it now.

Next year im definately building me some. I was gonna build a box or maybe use half of a 55 gallon drum and put corn in the bottom so when they feed on it they are banging thier antlers on the edges. Chicken wire kinda makes me a little iffy.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Yeah I mentioned that a few posts ago. I was going to build some shed traps this year but I put it off and put it off, I regret it now.

Next year im definately building me some. I was gonna build a box or maybe use half of a 55 gallon drum and put corn in the bottom so when they feed on it they are banging thier antlers on the edges. Chicken wire kinda makes me a little iffy.

I set 4 sites this year clutch, problem is you have to check the sites every day because the porkys eat the corn and the antlers. I did get to shoot a porky that was up a tree by one of my sites. It was a beauty, got him with my Tarus Judge shooting a .410 slug and bukshot load.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I had visions of someone with a gun, Elmer Fudd style ..... sneaking through the back yards of Suburbia ...... hunting sheds.

I thought it was going to be about a little metal building for your backyard.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #767997 03/23/13 04:32 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

I thought it was going to be about a little metal building for your backyard.

When I do that kind of shed hunting I call my Amish friends and tell tham how big I want it. The last shed they built for me cost $1400 10x20 the material alone if I built it was $2800. But they have their own saw mills and you get real 2x4's. Just don't have them stain it because they use used motor oil.

GO BROWNS!
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I set 4 sites this year clutch, problem is you have to check the sites every day because the porkys eat the corn and the antlers. I did get to shoot a porky that was up a tree by one of my sites. It was a beauty, got him with my Tarus Judge shooting a .410 slug and bukshot load.

The Judge Nice piece there.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Judge Nice piece there.

The Judge is one of my best friends along with my Bodyguard .380. The Judge usually sleeps with me and the Bodyguard spends time away from the compound with me. The only problem with the Judge is that if I have to introduce someone to the Judge in the middle of the night there will be a lot of collateral damage in the household.

GO BROWNS!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The Judge is good but I prefer the lcp to the bodyguard.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Would've been cool if you kind of gave a brief description on what shed hunting is. I thought you were shopping for a shed for your yard or something.

Arps #768002 03/24/13 08:56 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

The Judge is good but I prefer the lcp to the bodyguard.

The lcp is a nice smooth gun, a few bucks more but another great carry option.

GO BROWNS!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just stretch a length of chain link fence between two 4x4 posts and drop corn under it.
Got a nice matching set of eights this year but not much else.

I need to walk the trails on my property next week.

1oldMutt #768004 03/24/13 05:56 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Just got back from down around Caldwell area.

Still no luck, I bet you I walked close to 6 miles or more today.....hungover, which really sucked. I'm freaking whooped.

Rishuz #768005 03/24/13 05:57 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Would've been cool if you kind of gave a brief description on what shed hunting is. I thought you were shopping for a shed for your yard or something.

lol.

No shed. Just looking for deer antlers that they shed yearly before the animals chew em up.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Haha ... I know now. I looked it up on the interweb after reading your post. Crazy. Never heard of that before.

Btw, Sons of Anarchy rocks. Just waiting for season 5 to come onto Netflix now. The wife and I will probably finish it inside of a weekend.

Rishuz #768007 03/25/13 07:34 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
This is my first year looking for them. If nothing else its great exercise, some of the terrain I look in is a bit un-forgiving.

I love that show! Season 5 was pretty darn good. You will like it.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Shed Hunting

Link Copied to Clipboard