D
Legend
Legend
D

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
6mil over 3years...hmm, that's cheap for a solid FS....we could have signed him to that annually just by cutting Usama Bad non move, guess he was too old, as he just turned 30 a couple weeks ago...thank god that Usama is 2 years younger, maybe he'll be as good as Huff is now in 2years

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

thank god that Usama is 2 years younger, maybe he'll be as good as Huff is now in 2years

That's a HUGE "maybe" lol.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ed Reed vs. Huff&puff yay!!!!! He couldnt live up to the pressure of his college hype and now he has to replace Ed Reed.

Legend
Legend
Ugh. I wish we would have signed Huff.

I would almost preferred Huff to Dumervil on the Browns. I think that Huff would have plugged a gaping, bleeding, rupture in our defense. Not only that, but Huff is capable of playing CB at a decent level. He's not an All Pro there, but he's not an embarrassment either.

Further, I think that he can almost upgrade the FS spot for the Ravens. They moved on from soon to be 35 year old Ed Reed, and picked up a guy 5 years younger. Reed looks to have slowed down, even though he still has solid numbers, he's not the same guy he was even a couple of years ago. His famed range is slipping, and Huff should, unfortunately, be a solid replacement.

The only thing that I can assume is that Horton likes someone on our defense in the FS role, because Huff signed for very litle .... and as far as I know, we didn't even check him out at all.

I will add that Ozzie is showing why he has been one of the best in the NFL for quite a while now. His defense was decimated, and he signed 2 impact players on the cheap.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Has Kerry Rhodes signed anywhere? He was w/Horton in Arizona.

Legend
Legend
He hasn't that I know of.

I still would have preferred Huff.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

According to the NFL Free agent tracker, Rhodes is still available. I prefer Rhodes over Huff in a heartbeat. Grimes/Millner/X. Rhodes, K. Rhodes, Ward, Haden looks like a very respectable backfield on paper.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

According to the NFL Free agent tracker, Rhodes is still available. I prefer Rhodes over Huff in a heartbeat. Grimes/Millner/X. Rhodes, K. Rhodes, Ward, Haden looks like a very respectable backfield on paper.

He was with Horton and we still aren't talking to him.... is that telling us something?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

6mil over 3years...hmm, that's cheap for a solid FS...

Sure is. Not saying Huff is a star, but we have nothing at that position right now. But that's OK... the genius of Lombanner will fill this hole with a rookie 6th round draft choice, while we sit on 30M in cap space. I know I know... "We're using that money to extend Mack & Haden". Yeah.. all 30M of it.. uh huh.....

[Linked Image from media.247sports.com] Pope Dezz!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well we all knew Ozzie wasn't going to just sit still n do nothing. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't sign Urlacher for a year.

My question is - where is he getting all this Money??? thought he was right at the -0- cap room area.

Us...I think we are all done with FA...hehehe every time I say that we go sign somebody .lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He was with Horton and we still aren't talking to him.... is that telling us something?

Whether we're talking to him or not is kinda unknown. When it comes to free agent FS, unfortunately I haven't heard us talking to anyone.

I don't think Horton has any pull on FA acquisitions right now. I don't think Young and Bademosi fit his mantra 'big guys that can fly or fast guys that can hit'. Rhodes is a perfect fit IMO.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think Young and Bademosi fit his mantra 'big guys that can fly or fast guys that can hit'. Rhodes is a perfect fit IMO.

I absolutely disagree regarding Bademosi. He crushes people on special teams. He is a powerful hitter, and a sure tackler. he played well on regular defense near the end of last year, and that was at CB. (nickel and dime)

I think that he could be a very good safety ..... if he gets the chance. He has nice size and excellent quickness. He understands how to break down and tackle as well. I hope that he gets a shot.

I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think Young and Bademosi fit his mantra 'big guys that can fly or fast guys that can hit'. Rhodes is a perfect fit IMO.

I absolutely disagree regarding Bademosi. He crushes people on special teams. He is a powerful hitter, and a sure tackler.

Similar to Josh Cribbs, most of Bademosi's highlights were on special teams. I don't remember him playing much until Ward went down. I do know that we used FS by committee most of the season and I saw waayyy too much of Hagg and Young.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Bademosi, I just didn't see him making plays and I rather have the proven playmaker in Rhodes while he's available.

By the way, Rhodes is still a beast:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/v/qEcwJwJL4fY[/youtube]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, not sure why there is so much love for Huff. The guy has underachieved and not been much of a force.

Rhodes has both good and bad qualities. He flies all over the field. He is a huge hitter. Well built. However, he misses too often, at least he did w/the Jets. I haven't followed him in Arizona.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think that he could be a very good safety ..... if he gets the chance. He has nice size and excellent quickness. He understands how to break down and tackle as well. I hope that he gets a shot.

Come on man, don't you know no Browns rookie ever progresses

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
In the Cowboys game, Bademosi was lined up against Bryant and Miles Austin late in the game because of injuries.

He played very well.

Here's an article I remember on Bademosi ....

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/11/cleveland_browns_rookie_johnso.html

Cleveland Browns rookie Johnson Bademosi knows how to take advantage of his opportunities

BEREA, Ohio -- The son of Nigerian immigrants, Johnson Bademosi didn't need a history degree from Stanford to realize America is a land of opportunity.

That educational process began on rugby fields in Silver Spring, Md., extended into the classrooms of the oldest all-boys prep school in Washington, D.C., and continues today in NFL stadiums where this undrafted rookie cherishes every chance afforded him.

The most recent came last Sunday, with the game on the line in Dallas and the Browns spread thin at cornerback because of injury. The coaching staff inserted Bademosi as the Cowboys were driving for a potential game-winning touchdown in the final minute of regulation. While he excels on special teams, Bademosi hadn't played a down on defense in the regular season.

He spent the next three Dallas possessions -- including two in overtime -- pitted against receivers Dez Bryant and Miles Austin. Quarterback Tony Romo targeted Bademosi's man five straight times looking for signs of inexperience or panic. Three short passes were completed. Three tackles were made by Bademosi. On the fifth attempt, the 22-year-old anticipated the play and broke up a pass intended for Bryant to get the defense off the field on third down.

A few days after the Browns' 23-20 defeat, Bademosi was asked what has driven a defensive back not even invited to the NFL Combine to become the leading tackler on specials teams and an intriguing option for additional snaps at corner.

"I've been blessed with opportunities in my life, opportunities some kids in my neighborhood never had," he said. "It would be wrong of me not to take advantage of them. A lot of people helped me get this far."

Teammates voted Bademosi their fourth captain for Sunday's home game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a reward not only for a commendable effort under difficult circumstances in Dallas, but for the tenacity he demonstrates as one of the Browns' two gunners on the coverage units.

It's premature to speculate whether the chiseled 6-0, 200-pounder finds more playing time in the secondary once Joe Haden, Buster Skrine and Dimitri Patterson get healthy. Defensive coordinator Dick Jauron said he believes Bademosi has a future at his position if he hones his technique.

There is no mistaking Bademosi's desire, however, and his teammates' appreciation of it.

"He is by far the hardest-working rookie I have ever been around," Browns cornerback Sheldon Brown said. "He is always taking notes, never falling asleep in meetings, always in the weight room even when he doesn't have to be in there. That speaks volumes to how he must have been raised."

Expanding horizons

In a sport percolating with testosterone and tough talk, Bademosi draws inspiration from a woman who motivated through her actions.

His mother, Margaret, raised Johnson and his sister, Leslie, in Silver Spring with no extended family for support and little money. She kept the unit together working as an in-home nurse, taking jobs at all hours. The son saw firsthand the hardship of an immigrant's life and did his best to honor that pain.

"She has been through some great challenges," Bademosi said of a mother who continues to work. "She did things that were very hard for her, and it showed tremendous resilience and determination to go through what she went through and still raise us.

"She taught me how to carry myself, how to put in the work when you're not feeling your best. She never had to say a word."

His journey to manhood and the NFL has included surrogates who have showered him with attention and offered guidance. Dan Soso taught him how to play rugby as a child during a summertime program. Bademosi's quickness, strength and ability to process the game caught the eye of Lee Kelly, a rugby coach at powerhouse Gonzaga College High School in Washington.

Kelly had children of his own, and soon Bademosi was like an extension of his family going to rugby, football and wrestling practices in the back of the coach's Chrysler Sebring. Kelly encouraged the youngster to play multiple sports.

Bademosi could not afford to attend Gonzaga with its $18,000 tuition on his mother's salary, but he qualified for financial assistance. Each year, the school receives about 1,000 applicants, Kelly said, for 250 spots in the incoming freshman class.

There was nothing easy about Bademosi's transition. He woke up each weekday at 6:30 a.m., and took a bus to the Silver Spring Metro stop, where he grabbed the subway into the city before walking to the 191-year-old school located just blocks from the U.S. Capitol. His morning commute totaled 50 minutes.

"I was exposed to a lot of different people and a lot of different things that expanded my horizons," Bademosi said. "There were parts of D.C. that I had never seen. My world was just very small before then and it rapidly expanded."

Attorney John Gary McDavid served as his mentor, and school librarian Patty Tobin oriented him with the traditions and expectations at Gonzaga, a Jesuit school which counts U.S. politicians, Pulitizer Prize winners and astronauts among its alumni. Bademosi enrolled in a cooking class. He joined the debate club. He performed community service. He took hold of opportunities like a hungry kid filling his tray in the lunch line.

Bademosi was a natural on the athletic fields. He was so accomplished as a rugby winger that he competed for the U.S. junior national teams. A teenager who once didn't know his way around his hometown was traveling to Europe to play international tournaments.

Kelly believes, if football had not worked out, Bademosi would have been a candidate for the 2016 Summer Olympics in which rugby will debut.

"Rugby tackling is very different [from football] because you don't have time," he said. "In football you do. The game can change in a lot of different ways. Rugby is a very physical game. Football is a physical game, as well."

'Something to prove'

On Monday, reporters asked Bademosi about his time at Stanford, where he played cornerback and contributed on special teams. (Harvard, Penn and Maryland also recruited him heavily.) He was quizzed about his major and what he liked about history.

Someone asked what he wanted to do with his degree. Bademosi smiled broadly.

"Play football," he said.

Bademosi started 23 games over three seasons on a Cardinal team that went 31-8 in that span. He did not receive an invite to the NFL Combine, a slight he admits motivates him, but Bademosi caught the eye of scouts at the Stanford pro day by running the 40 in 4.35 seconds and registering a 40-inch vertical leap.

The Browns, looking for another gunner, signed him as an undrafted free agent. He knew any chance of making the team hinged on his special teams performance in training camp and the exhibition season.

"That was clear to me," Bademosi said. "I tried to become coach [Chris] Tabor's best friend."

Brown believes his teammate can be a good cornerback and has encouraged him to watch tapes of Chicago's Charles Tillman, who has forced seven fumbles this season. The veteran sees Tillman's mentality and physical nature in Bademosi.

"I always feel like I have something to prove, and if you don't have something to prove maybe your time is up," Bademosi said. "I am passionate about the game. I want to beat the man in front of me, and I want to win the battle."

Will he develop into something more than a reliable special teams player? Perhaps the remaining six games will represent a land of opportunity for a first generation Nigerian-American.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
great post! wow i missed that and am glad you posted this

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, that was inspirational. Like to see a kid like that make it.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Again, Haden 23, Skrine 23, Wade 23 n Bademosi 22 - all still very young quick n learning...all fitting in that Small guys that can hit. Not saying they are great well saying Haden is but the other 3 all later rounders or UDFA (in Bad's case) they got game n are PROGRESSING.

Ytown...btw so far Bademosi has been played at nothing but CB - I don't see FS in his future...does he have the size for SS? Well at least not yet too much to learn. Let him continue to progress at one position CB.

But we are young n developmental at CB a lot of dawgs will look at the stats n some play on the field as they develop n ASSume they all suck. (Again leaving Haden out of it...this kid came here overall #7 we know he has TALENT)

But even our 2nd tier FA additions...both are Mid round picks n deemed more talent than the other youngsters...but even these two FA Owens n the other guy are young 25, 26? Not all but one or two of these guys are going to step up n make us better!

We got some good young players on this team still not established as NFL worthy or not but definitely not BUMS.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #769368 03/28/13 11:12 AM
Legend
Legend
Bademosi is 6' 200#, and ran something like a 4.35 at his pro day.

He can hit, and is as sure a tackler as we have on our team. He played FS at Stanford, and I think that he can do so for us as well.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Nothing is impossible its just Safety you wish someone with NFL experience in there. Calling the coverages as the other team lines up. Note Impact I think Reed (not sure) but definitely Palo...Fast aggressive that possibly Bademosi can emulate...well he is a SS which is why I stated SS??? Once a season or two playing CB n Getting it I can see us switching him to FS to see if he knows the Looks n Calls???

JMHO - All I have seen him in the NFL level...will take your word on Stanford FS - is CB. I still think the best FS is still out there in FA.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

6mil over 3years...hmm, that's cheap for a solid FS....we could have signed him to that annually just by cutting Usama Bad non move, guess he was too old, as he just turned 30 a couple weeks ago...thank god that Usama is 2 years younger, maybe he'll be as good as Huff is now in 2years

I'm starting to wonder if Banner is okay with Usama. He survived the early cuts, and we haven't seen much word of safety visits in Berea.

I've never been a fan of Usama, but he did look a bit improved at times last year. I'd still prefer an upgrade in free agency, but if we target it early in the draft, Usama can buy us another year if the rookie isn't ready.

eotab and others, thanks for the info on Bademosi. I only remember seeing him on S/T.

Legend
Legend
The former coaching staff was a big fan of Tashaun Gipson. Maybe this group likes what he showed last year as well. Who knows?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The former coaching staff was a big fan of Tashaun Gipson. Maybe this group likes what he showed last year as well. Who knows?

I also liked what I saw In Gipson ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I honestly forgot about Gipson. He made some plays last year. Maybe some of these youngsters will grow up.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
eotab #769374 03/28/13 10:52 PM
Legend
Legend
It's very nice to see somebody else giving the young guys some props. I Think some of these guys are going to really suprise some people over the next few years

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

I also liked what I saw In Gipson ...

He made some decent plays. Honestly, i'm not sure why Hagg was even granted the starting role - I think either of the rookies would have played better than Eric. Usama is not free safety material, he's horrible in coverage in the open field.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ravens sign Huff

Link Copied to Clipboard