Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#772943 04/06/13 02:26 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Every year, a group of us gets together to play golf. We try to make the teams fair so no team runs away with it. However, one friend of mine is a much much better golfer than the rest of us. So, no matter who we put on his team, his team wins. Sometimes it's closer than others, but he has won I think the past 4 or 5 years.

So, for fellow golfers, have any of you had any experience playing different kinds of scoring that would help even things out?

I'm pushing this year to have each person play their own ball, and then the team score is the gross score. So, if he's on a team with the absolute worst golfer, then that helps other teams who play more consistently. If he gets a 4 on the hole but his partner gets an 8, then they'll lose that hole to a team where both people got 5's.

Last year, we did where you had to use at least one drive, one approach shot, one putt, etc. from each person on your team on each of the front and back 9. But that wasn't an issue because, even though he wasn't with a great golfer, there was at least 1 or 2 holes each 9 that the bad golfer had an ok shot that was usable.

Thoughts?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
All Pro
All Pro
play worst ball every other hole But really my friends and I never had your problem because we all pretty much suck Our winner is the guy who broke the fewest clubs

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Teams of how many?

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't golf, but doesn't golf have handicaps that weight scores based on ability, to even things up competitively?

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

I have played where u have to use at least three of the people in the foursome on each hole. Of course if you get a two on a hole that's okay. Also, that you have to use at least one drive, approach, and putt each nine holes from each person.

You can also have a rule where a team cannot use two shots in a row from the same person.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would be hard to use a handicap when you're playing best ball.

Here's the best solution I have...

You cannot use the same persons shot on two consecutive shots.

Example :

4 players per team, team uses Player A's shot.

Players B,C,D shoot the 2nd shot, and the team has to use one of their shots.

Team uses Player B's shot.

Players A, C, D now shoot from that spot.

and so on.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

I don't golf, but doesn't golf have handicaps that weight scores based on ability, to even things up competitively?

I was going on the assumption that they were playing a scramble, best ball match. Where all four players play the best shot from each location; drive, approach, chips, and putts.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

You can also have a rule where a team cannot use two shots in a row from the same person.

^^^^ This

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Put the better golfer's ass back at the pro tee's while everyone else gets to play from the most forward tee's which aren't the ladies tee's (unless you're into that kinda thing ).

One wouldn't think that going back an extra 5-10 yards would make a difference, but depending on the course it can be a ten-stroke swing. Moving him back there will be alot easier than trying to implement new rules.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Just make that one guy play with US Junior clubs, that should even things up a bit.

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Put the better golfer's ass back at the pro tee's while everyone else gets to play from the most forward tee's which aren't the ladies tee's (unless you're into that kinda thing ).

One wouldn't think that going back an extra 5-10 yards would make a difference, but depending on the course it can be a ten-stroke swing. Moving him back there will be alot easier than trying to implement new rules.

You ever hit a "dangler" shot?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

You ever hit a "dangler" shot?

Well, before I was very good at golf, I was very, very bad So while I don't recognize the name, at some point I've just about every possible shot out there, both good and bad. From a hole-in-one to hitting a tree from 3 yards away and having the ball hit me in the chest and everything in-between.

So...is a Dangler where you play a crap-shot and yell out "Dangit!" ?

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
A
Legend
Legend
A
No, sir. A "dangler" is when you tee off (as a man, this is), and it doesn't make it to the lady's tee box.

If/when that situation arises, one of your golf buddies say's "Uh, bud, you didn't even make it to the ladies tee - drop your drawers and dangle to prove you're a man."

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The aggregate score method is what we do. I usually get stuck with a guy who appears to be playing lawn hockey.

If you want to play a best ball team format then just play where he's not allowed to attempt any putts under 10 feet. That evens out scores out pretty quickly especially if he's playing with a high handicapper.

[Linked Image]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Ahhh...Not since I was a teenager, but you know what...I did drop my shorts and played the hole in my boxers

B
Legend
Legend
B
Play select shot. I assume 4 man/woman teams.

Each player has to have a drive and putt as the stroke of record per side. That way big boy only gets 2 extra shots per side. Now, if he keeps stiffing them in there to 3 feet with the 2nd shot, just keep paying him and his team. I guess you could extend it to approch shots as well if you some how took in account par 3's.....it's a good game. Every player on the team has to score a drive and a putt of record. That balances things when one good golfer is playing with a bunch of bad golfers.

Big boy isn't going to play if you stick him with some duffer who shoots 111 to counter his 72....why would he or should he....I wouldn't. I'd find better golfers to play with. Go ahead and give him a blind man with one arm as a playing partner if you really want to fix the field.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
I am a golfer.

To be fair you cannot make that one one guy play from the back tees or limit him only, in some fashion. IMO that is totally unfair and will make the situation worse.

What we have done in the past is what a couple of people have already said.
one player cannot make 2 consecutive shots. This is the best way to handle it.

Legend
Legend
Just break his leg before you start. If he is still winning after nine holes then break one of his arms. Problem solved.

BTW if he still wins I suggest ya'll give up golf.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks all for the suggestions. We usually only have 6 total people play, so it's teams of 2.

All Pro
All Pro
What about 2 teams of 3 it would make the alternating shot rule a little more effective

B
Legend
Legend
B
You could do it the way the USGA has it set up and use everybody's verified handicap, but if everybody doesn't have a card, then you are just going to have to let him beat your butt again....that or don't invite him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
How about "winner buys the drinks?".

That way, you're still playing golf instead of some other game, also, you'll still get beat but you won't mind it so much.

You want an equalizer, every hole he wins, he takes a shot or a beer.

Would this guy win BOTH a separate driving contest, and a separate putting contest?

The other suggestion would be to watch him carefully, ask questions, and try to improve everybody else's game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

To be fair you cannot make that one one guy play from the back tees or limit him only, in some fashion. IMO that is totally unfair and will make the situation worse.

As a guy who has played my share of rounds as "the good player" in situations where they are trying to make a fair match.. I can tell you that it won't make it worse and the good player won't mind at all.... unless they are playing for significant money, at which point I might get upset for being penalized... but if it's a friendly game or even a friendly wager, it's never bothered me at all to be asked to be the only guy hitting from the blue or black tees...

Other things I've been asked to do to make it "fair"...

Once I was only allowed to bring 6 clubs.... (I chose driver, 4-iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, wedge, putter) on most recreational courses, this is not nearly as big of a challenge as it seems since you rarely use long irons any way unless it's to get to a par 5 in 2 or the occasional long par 3.

Once I was not allowed to use a tee.

Those are two of the more creative things that were done. If the guy is a good sport about it, get creative and he will have fun trying to overcome the challenge.

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
j/c

A little more background on the event will help.

This is just a group of my college buddies and me. I believe we started doing it every year since 2000. We play at the Kent State golf course, which is fine, but it's certainly no PGA course. To put it in perspective, there are train tracks that separate the front and back 9 and a train goes through, blaring its horn, about once an hour. I have the honor of being the only one in the 12 years we've done it to hit the train on accident with a tee shot.

My buddy who is the good golfer is just a good golfer. Played in high school, does the right things, etc. He's just good. The rest of us range from pretty good to downright awful. I'm certainly closer to awful than good. Really, it's just a tradition and it's very much for fun.

The winning team gets their initials carved into a coffee mug. That's the extent of the winning. We do skins as well, but it amounts to maybe a total of $20 each guy for the 18 holes. Like I said, it isn't about the money but the tradition and all of us getting together.

I don't think my buddy would have any problem if we "handicapped" him, but I think he'd still win. He is really that much better than us. But we don't take it seriously enough to really care all that much.

I just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas as to ways we can make it a little more equal. The handicap idea isn't bad, but some of the guys don't play enough to really know what their handicap is.

Right now, we're leaning toward just taking the overall score for each hole, or doing the alternating shot thing.

Last edited by brownsfansince79; 04/09/13 02:17 PM.

Legend
Legend
hmmmm Maybe the one good player shout have to do a beer, and a shot after each hole

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Barefoot is the key.

Take his shoes away.

Remove his platform and you'll level the playing field.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Once I was only allowed to bring 6 clubs.... (I chose driver, 4-iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, wedge, putter) on most recreational courses, this is not nearly as big of a challenge as it seems since you rarely use long irons any way unless it's to get to a par 5 in 2 or the occasional long par 3.

That is a good way to practice. Helps your tempo. You end up hitting a lot of shots at 80%, which is where most of us should be most of the time. The Pro's aren't hammering every shot as hard as they can on every shot.

The average golfer would see their game improve 4-5-6 shots overnight if they picked the right club and gave it a smooth swing.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Make sure he is 3 beers ahead of everyone else.

If that's not enough, He could play "polo" shots with his irons. has to hit from the passenger side of the cart while its in motion.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Golf scoring options...

Link Copied to Clipboard