Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#777182 04/18/13 12:11 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Here's my all-underrated team. These are guys who have borderline-/un-draftable grades by major scouting services that I think can play.

Who are your guys? Doesn't have to be a list this big, just a few names you like that you think are underappreciated.

QB: Colby Cameron, LA Tech
RB: Khiry Robinson, West Texas A&M
RB: Rex Burkhead, Nebraska
FB: Braden Wilson, Kansas State
TE: Jake Stoneburner, Ohio State
LT: Manase Foketi, KSU via WTA&M
LG: Josh Dworaczyk, LSU
C: Joe Madsen, West Virginia
RG: Lamar Mady, Youngstown St.
RT: Oscar Johnson, La Tech
WR: Chad Bumphis, Mississippi St.
WR: Marquess Wilson, Wash St.

4-3 Front Seven
LE: Armonty Bryant, East Central (OK)
NT: Chris Jones, Bowling Green
UT: Joe Vellano, Maryland
RE: Travis Johnson, San Jose St.
SLB: Etienne Sabino, Ohio State
MLB: Vince Williams, Florida St.
WLB: Ja'Gared Davis, SMU

3-4 Front Seven
DE: AJ Francis, Maryland
NT: Byron Jerideau, South Carolina
DE: Brandon Moore, Texas
OLB: Brandon Sharpe, Syracuse
ILB: Taylor Reed, SMU
ILB: Jordan Campbell, NM Highlands
OLB: Travis Long, Washington St.

Defensive Secondary
CB: Kayvon Webster, South Florida
CB: Travis Howard, Ohio State
FS: Rontez Miles, California (Pa)
SS: Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami

http://cornerblitz.com/2013/DraftTeams/Underrated.aspx (prospect comments/profiles on link)

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Are these 4/5 star recruits that didn't pan out in college? If not how the heck do you have the time to watch this much football. I only say this because of Sabino and his supposed promise coming into OSU. There are a couple of others that jump out at me as well.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Heheh got a good chuckle from that Hel... I think Ray Ray, Campbell, and Moore kind of fit that decription... not sure if anyone else does.

It really doesn't take that long to get a feel for a guy... a guy sticks out in a game you're watching and you look into him a bit more. It's not as though I watched 6-10 full games of each of these guys. It's all just my opinion based on what I've seen. It's fun!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Peter Lalich QB

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
I definitely haven't followed the scouting portion as closely as I usually do. I basically am falling back on what I saw during the college football season and some of what I have read.

You do a much better and more thorough job than I would, but here's some thoughts to add.

Of the guys I remember:

Burkhead - a tweener RB. not a burner/slasher, but not a power-back. I guess that makes his ceiling Ahmad Bradshaw, but few of his style get there. He's definitely a tough runner though, so I'd say he's definitely a RB2/RB3 in the NFL.

Stoneburner - there are OSU guys I never want to see on the Browns and ones I really, really hope we find a way to draft. He is one of the guys I'd love to see on the Browns.

Marquess Wilson - is he a good leader who was standing up for his team against an abusive coaching staff? or is he a whiner who couldn't handle a little tough love? that is the main question and why he's dropped. he certainly is a very skilled WR.

Sabino - watching him was like watching Gocong (both the good and the bad). Run to his side and he's going to stone the blocker, shed, and make the tackle. Run away from him (or to the edge) and he just doesn't get there. He'd be great for run package defenses and if it was 15-20 years ago, he'd likely be guaranteed a starting spot for a long time.

V. Williams - actually a bit like Sabino. He's not going to lead anyone in TFL or sacks or big plays, but he's going to be steady. He was definitely the leader of the FSU defense (and that does count for something). He's a bit better in coverage as well (but that's not a plus for him either).

B.Moore - agreed that 3-4 DE is the spot for him. he was a good space-eater for Texas but really wasn't as dynamic as advertised (of course, being here in Austin they were expecting the former Bama signee to tear things up).

B.Sharpe - I watched a couple Syracuse games but I don't remember a thing about him. I see that he did well with TFL (15) and sacks (7), so I probably just watched a couple quiet games for him.

T.Long - I've read good things about him, but I don't know how people can figure out how good he is. Wash.State was a disaster. Just completely unorganized and a mess.

Howard - careful, people are going to start calling you a Buckeye-honk. Howard is going to benefit from the move to big-CB's in the NFL (I think) and be drafted somewhat earlier than what I have seen on mocks (IMO - 3rd/4th round pick). He is a terrible form tackler, but is quicker/faster than it looks like he should be. I think he'll do fine in the NFL.

Ray Ray - hey, he's a true coach on the field (sorry, couldn't resist). Always a risk bringing in a guy who hasn't played in a year.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Howard - careful, people are going to start calling you a Buckeye-honk.

Yeah, I kind of felt that way, but I only wanted to mention guys I felt confident in.

It seems like when teams get put on probation, the players start to get overlooked as draft prospects. The Buckeyes had a pretty good bunch of players this past year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Only 300+ on nfldraftscout players:

QB: Colby Cameron, LA Tech
RB: Rex Burkhead, Nebraska
FB: Braden Wilson, Kansas State
TE: Ryan Griffin, UConn
LT: Elvis Fisher, MissouriManase Foketi, KSU via WTA&M
LG: Matt Summers-Gavins, Cal
C: Joe Madsen, West Virginia
RG: Omoregi Uzzi, Georgia Tech
RT: Oscar Johnson, La Tech
WR: Emory Blake, Auburn
WR: TJ Moe, Missouri

3-4 Front Seven
DE: AJ Francis, Maryland
NT: G.Pena, Ole Miss
DE: Will Pericak, Colorado
OLB: Brandon Sharpe, Syracuse
ILB: Bruce Taylor, Virginia Tech
ILB: Will Compton, Nebraska
OLB: Travis Long, Washington St.

Defensive Secondary
CB: Demontre Hurst, Oklahoma
CB: Nigel Malone, Kansas State
FS: Jarred Holley, Pittsburgh / John Boyett, Oregon
SS: Jordan Kovacs, Michigan

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think you have a typo there... Bruce Taylor is a nice ILB for Virginia Tech... good leader and effort but not he most physically gifted, and Josh Francis is a speedy, undersized WILB prospect (good tackler) for West Virginia.... you meant the hokie, right?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yep, Virginia Tech not West Virginia

Mind oyu though, this is DEEP sleeper team, mostly UDFAs that I think could stick as solid backups/ST guys, not much starter upside there, maybe for one of the OL. I really want the Browns to take Emory Blake (former NFL-QB's Jeff Blake's son, btw) into TC somehow, late pick or UDFA...he'd be hard to cut. Very underrated imho...there are also some big school/high talent sleepers on that team like Will Compton, but overall it's my UDFA list I want us to bring in

#gmstrong

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Peter Lalich QB

He is definitely not underrated. He is a player that will probably not get drafted, yet some people here would probably use a fourth round pick on him because he has a crazy story. That is overrated.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Lalich is a WCO project, nothing to look at for Norv and Chud imho

#gmstrong

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
QB Sidd Finch - Converted pitcher

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

QB Sidd Finch - Converted pitcher

sorry, but he ran off to Neverland with Lennay Kukua

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'll stick to what I know.. AJ Francis could be pretty good but has always struggled with his weight. If he can have the discipline to stay in shape, he could be decent.

Joe Vallano will get eaten alive as a DT at the 280-285 he played at in college. Quality run stopper if he can bulk up without losing any of his athleticism.

Those are the only 2 guys on your list I've ever heard of.

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
Never heard 4th rounder here?? I know I have been one of the few ever to mention him. At first for a possible pick of one of our 6th rounders...after the Colt trade possibly our 7th. But never mentioned on any mocks or any sites which is what I thought warranted Under Rated. But once again...I am wrong - My Bad.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) All Underrated Team

Link Copied to Clipboard