Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Sure it's a fluff piece .... but I love hearing how Weeden looks comfortable already, and hos Horton sounds "positively ecstatic" talking about what he saw during the week.

http://blogs.clevelandbrowns.com/2013/04/19/5-takeaways-from-browns-first-minicamp/

5 takeaways from Browns’ first minicamp
Posted by Vic Carucci on April 19, 2013 – 5:07 pm

By Vic Carucci, Senior Editor

Here are my five biggest takeaways from the Browns’ first minicamp week:
One thing that jumped out at me during the three days of Browns minicamp practices this week was the faster pace of the offense. This is a top priority of new offensive coordinator Norv Turner. He’s instilling in Brandon Weeden, and the rest of the quarterbacks, the importance of functioning with a greater sense of urgency. And Weeden, Jason Campbell, and Thaddeus Lewis seem to be grasping the concept, along with the other members of the offense. In particular, Weeden seemed to get the ball out of his hand more quickly than he generally did as a rookie last year.

Turner wasted no time demonstrating how aggressive the passing game will be. The first play from scrimmage in team drills was a long throw that Weeden completed to Josh Gordon. Weeden looks extremely comfortable working in a scheme that calls for him to frequently be in shotgun formation (as was the case when he was at Oklahoma State) and to often throw deep. The receivers also seem to enjoy the more attack-oriented mentality of the offense, although they will need more time to learn all of the finer points about where to line up and how to deal with all of the motion and adjusting before the snap.

Tight end Jordan Cameron seems to be in the best physical condition since he joined the Browns as a fourth-round draft pick in 2011. And it is showing up in his performance. He’s moving with excellent speed and explosiveness, and making athletic plays. Cameron looks to be more confident in how to play tight end. He seems to be making major strides in transitioning from a basketball player who is trying to play football to a legitimate football player.

While such observations must be tempered by the fact there is no contact in minicamp drills, the Browns’ new 3-4 defensive scheme looks as if it could be dynamic. It’s evident that outside linebacker Paul Kruger and the other newcomers in the front seven are excellent fits for what defensive coordinator Ray Horton is implementing. They get off the ball quickly and drop into coverage smoothly. Horton sounded downright ecstatic in talking with me about what he saw during the three days of practice.

When you look at the Browns’ schedule, you’re reminded of why this team has placed so much emphasis on bolstering its pass rush. Consider the quarterbacks this team will be facing: Baltimore’s Joe Flacco (on Sept. 15 and Nov. 3), Detroit’s Matthew Stafford (Oct. 13), Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers (Oct. 20), Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger (Nov. 24 and Dec. 29), New England’s Tom Brady (Dec. 8), and Chicago’s Jay Cutler (Dec. 15). Something tells me the Browns aren’t finished in their search for game-changing pass-rushers.

Be sure to join me on Monday, April 22, at noon ET for our “Real Talk” chat about the draft and the Browns on ClevelandBrowns.com.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Nice to see positive news (especially right now with everything going on in the country) but still so early... Can't get took excited

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

Would be interesting to know who was lined up at NT and the other DE spot (assuming Bryant was the other DE) for the majority of the camp. Is that info anywhere?

Tackles are tackles.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Ahh... Springtime in Cleveland, Ohio.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ahh, yes... where optimism is high, fueled by rose colored reports from behind closed doors

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Ahh, yes... where optimism is high, fueled by rose colored reports from behind closed doors

amen

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

amen

Well, with all this nonsense going on with Jimmy, a little positive distraction never hurt.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

JC

Would be interesting to know who was lined up at NT and the other DE spot (assuming Bryant was the other DE) for the majority of the camp. Is that info anywhere?

It was in another article that Big Phil was at nose and Rubin at DE.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

JC

Thanks for this. I thought they'd put Taylor at NT but I don't understand Rubin at DE. Personally I think they'd still prefer Winn to take that spot if a trade for Rubin surfaced. I just don't see Rubin as a 3-4 DE in this scheme, but that's just me.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JC

Thanks for this. I thought they'd put Taylor at NT but I don't understand Rubin at DE. Personally I think they'd still prefer Winn to take that spot if a trade for Rubin surfaced. I just don't see Rubin as a 3-4 DE in this scheme, but that's just me.

As much as I like Rubin and Sheard I believe one of them is headed to Atlanta for pick #30 ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

you guys just wait until this time next week.

Vesuvius would blush

Legend
Legend
all hype til we actually hit the field against another team.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

At first I thought, "Sounds like the O needs some work!"

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Is this the reporter who works for the Browns?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
he works for the Browns but he has always been pretty good at an honest evaluation.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks, but I think it was a complete BS article. And this is coming from a guy who supports the new regime.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is minicamp lol There is excitment in the air from the coaches and players as it is their first chance to start putting things together. Its a BS article because he said the first play Weeden connected to Gordon deep and Weeden was getting rid of the ball quicker?

I suppose if he said weeden was holding the ball to long and Gordon looked like a fat pig out of breath running down the sidelines, it would have been woo hoo now there is some journalism. Couldnt resist busting your balls so :P

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

JC
As much as I like Rubin and Sheard I believe one of them is headed to Atlanta for pick #30 ... JMHO

I wouldn't be surprised if both are on the block depending on what surfaces in compensation. I was the 1st to mention ATL on the other board. I still think it's most probable. No way we get a 1st for Rubin though. Probably a high 3rd at best.

Last edited by predator16; 04/19/13 11:17 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Good stuff on Camerion.

Hopefully the shotgun will make Weeden look better on the field.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

all hype til we actually hit the field against another team.

This. This is almost the worst time. TC is worse.

What a joke, every year we are training camp champions. Every season we are either pathetic or play well, lovable losers.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Yep, wish we had these stories from every opening of camp for the last 10 years. The QBs are always comfy, and everyone is happy.........
And then one day we wake up and the team is at 1-3 and still not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Yep, wish we had these stories from every opening of camp for the last 10 years. The QBs are always comfy, and everyone is happy.........
And then one day we wake up and the team is at 1-3 and still not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Then our first year QB throws his first INT, and the fanbase wants him fired. Then we are 1-3 and the fanbase wants the coach fired. Another losing season and the fanbase wants the owner fired. Then our rookie RB gets almost a thousand yards and has multiple TDs and the fanbase says he's a bust. Then we get a great rotation for the defensive line and the fanbase wants to trade one of them, for no reason other than to get a draft pick. Then our young team wins a game in which they play tough and do what it takes to win, and the fanbase makes every excuse why it was something the other team did or didn't do that led to the win. Then the team has a good season, but the fanbase complains that it is only because of a weak schedule.........Okay, I'll stop now

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JC

i doubt the falcons would give up the #30 for either one of those guys...especially not rubin.....if im giving up the 30th pick in the nfl draft it better be for a player who has been to at least 1 probowl......

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Sheard was drafted 7 picks behind #30, and is now an experienced DE, on a cheap deal, at 23 years old...

I might even ask for more than #30 for him...

Rubin is only 3 years older, and is a Pro Bowl calibur NT/DT, just because a guy doesn't go to a Pro Bowl doesn't mean anything..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Awww, c'mon, Arps! We are undefeated, are we not? LOLetc. It is good to hear some upside stuff, especially with the Haslam lunacy breaking out here. I like the annual temporary thrill when hope blooms anew in Berea!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then our first year QB throws his first INT, and the fanbase wants him fired. Then we are 1-3 and the fanbase wants the coach fired. Another losing season and the fanbase wants the owner fired. Then our rookie RB gets almost a thousand yards and has multiple TDs and the fanbase says he's a bust. Then we get a great rotation for the defensive line and the fanbase wants to trade one of them, for no reason other than to get a draft pick. Then our young team wins a game in which they play tough and do what it takes to win, and the fanbase makes every excuse why it was something the other team did or didn't do that led to the win. Then the team has a good season, but the fanbase complains that it is only because of a weak schedule.........Okay, I'll stop now

So True

I think we have a great group of young talented guys. I think the game plan is Weeden starts/Cambell=stopgap serviceable vet. If we can solve CB/S issues our defense will be set and we can draft BPA on that side of the ball from now on. There's enuff talent on the offensive side of the ball and with our creampuff early schedule, Imho I can see us starting off 7-2 and splitting w/ravens. W/weeden being good or bad.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 5 Take Aways From Browns First Mini Camp

Link Copied to Clipboard