Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Just a great interview from KRS1, besides being the best MC ever, and basically a father of Hip Hop, he is super smart and gave some very interesting introspective to the terrorist attacks against the US. Its a 4 part interview. The 1st part is mostly about his background and philosophy. Part 2 is where he gets more into politics.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
I made it just a little way into the second video.

I will say this, the "hip hop" movement means nothing to me, and nothing politically. Who cares what the "hip hop" movement was saying? Also, his numerous comments about Bush being "selected, not elected".........come on. He can take his "urban inspirational metaphysics" and shove it.

I couldn't listen to anymore of his self promotion.........who cares if he paid cash for his jewelry and cars.......

Maybe I'm missing something in the rest of part 2, and part 3 and part 4. if I am, tell me what I'm missing, cause I won't listen to him, or any other entertainer, tell me what to think. That goes for RUN DMC (which I loved and still listen to occasionally), LL Cool J, Bruce Springsteen, Kenny Chesney, Dariouis Rucker,,,,,,,,,,etc.

I don't care about their politics, just as they don't care about others politics. Again, maybe by not even listening to the rest of his self aggrandizing interview I'm missing something.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I made it just a little way into the second video.

I will say this, the "hip hop" movement means nothing to me, and nothing politically. Who cares what the "hip hop" movement was saying? Also, his numerous comments about Bush being "selected, not elected".........come on. He can take his "urban inspirational metaphysics" and shove it.

I couldn't listen to anymore of his self promotion.........who cares if he paid cash for his jewelry and cars.......

Maybe I'm missing something in the rest of part 2, and part 3 and part 4. if I am, tell me what I'm missing, cause I won't listen to him, or any other entertainer, tell me what to think. That goes for RUN DMC (which I loved and still listen to occasionally), LL Cool J, Bruce Springsteen, Kenny Chesney, Dariouis Rucker,,,,,,,,,,etc.

I don't care about their politics, just as they don't care about others politics. Again, maybe by not even listening to the rest of his self aggrandizing interview I'm missing something.

Wow....someone failed listening comprehension 101.....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
A
Legend
Legend
A
Possibly.

Summarize his 47 minute interview for me. As I said, I quit listening part way into the second video.

Thanks in advance.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I listened to a bit more.

"After 9-11, if it wasn't for hip hop, I'd have joined the army, or navy, and gone to Iraq...." Or, "I admire and respect the people that flew the planes into that building."

Upon further review, I guess I did fail listening comprehension 101. I'm just listening to his words. I guess the deeper meaning has escaped me.

Tell, me.........I can't listen to more at this time, tell me what I have failed to comprehend. Perhaps in the 4th video he brings it full circle?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I listened to a bit more.

"After 9-11, if it wasn't for hip hop, I'd have joined the army, or navy, and gone to Iraq...." Or, "I admire and respect the people that flew the planes into that building."

Upon further review, I guess I did fail listening comprehension 101. I'm just listening to his words. I guess the deeper meaning has escaped me.

Tell, me.........I can't listen to more at this time, tell me what I have failed to comprehend. Perhaps in the 4th video he brings it full circle?

I don't have a lot of time right now, so I have to make it short, for now. I did want to comment on that part because I knew that would catch some attention He clarified, he said he hated what the terrorists did, but he said he admired someone who is so committed to his cause that he is willing to die for his cause. Not that he believed in that cause, or that he supported what they did.

As far as his telling that he bought cars and expensive jewelry for cash. He as not bragging, he was telling how things were going before 9/11. He was telling how 9/11 was an eye opener.

He's making a point of, why are things happening like this, why are people attacking us?

I guess we can continue to stick our heads in the sand behind the thought of being patriotic and blindly follow what we are told. All I can think of is the simpleton George Bush Jr. " They hate us for our freedom" which is simpleton B.S.

KING

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Ok, I have a little more time, and have thought a bit on what you said.

Now for context, this was taped around 2004/2005 or so. SO GW was still the Prez, and Barack Obama had not happened yet. If you go on You Tube and listen to some other stuff he has said, he has been very critical of Obama, as well as the rest of our government.

Why should you care what the Hip Hop generation has to say? Well first hip hop is not rappers. So I think right off the bat you discredit what he is saying because you think of him as a rapper. Also for context, he has been very critical of rappers today and how they and the big record labels have exploited rap music to make money, and what is being done today is not true hip hop. It is radio garbage. He has also been very critical of BET and the crap they choose to show, which is nothing but sex, and bitches and hoes type crap.

So you care what a segment of the population thinks, not because you agree or disagree, but because it is a large segment of this countrys population. You don't have to agree with all of what he says, or any of what he says, I don't agree with everything he said, but there is a lot of truth in a lot of what he said. You should care because a lot of what he said is thought provoking, and you should listen to issues of people who aren't the same as you. Who may be of a different race, creed, religion, economic background, sexual orientation, because that's what this country is, and that's what makes this country great, and people refusing to listen to or understand others view points is a big part of why our government has turned into what it has.

KING

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I did want to comment on that part because I knew that would catch some attention He clarified, he said he hated what the terrorists did, but he said he admired someone who is so committed to his cause that he is willing to die for his cause.

Sorry, I can't use the word "admire" in any way associated with a person who knowingly kills thousands of innocent men, women, and children to make a political statement whether that person is willing to die with them or not.

yebat' Putin
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
I would agree but to me Bin Laden is not that different from the Popes of yesteryear . A vile breed of men who are more concerned with furthering their own power than any real commitment to their supposed religion.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I did want to comment on that part because I knew that would catch some attention He clarified, he said he hated what the terrorists did, but he said he admired someone who is so committed to his cause that he is willing to die for his cause.

Sorry, I can't use the word "admire" in any way associated with a person who knowingly kills thousands of innocent men, women, and children to make a political statement whether that person is willing to die with them or not.

And he is not an admirer of what they did. he said he hates what they did. A lot of what he said was thought provoking, but people instead of listening to another view, instead want to get hung up on the exact word he used, or attack him for what he does , or is.

King

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I would agree but to me Bin Laden is not that different from the Popes of yesteryear . A vile breed of men who are more concerned with furthering their own power than any real commitment to their supposed religion.

Exactly right Ire, he also touched on that. He touched on the absurdity of murdering in the name of God, when it is really murder to help your self to gain more power and wealth. The Muslim terrorist leaders are certainly not the first to do it. The are building an army with lies and religious propaganda. Do you think the terrorists think what they are doing is bad? No, because they have so called leaders that have them convinced this is the right thing to do in the name of Allah.

KING

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Look, I have traveled many places outside the United States, I have spent more time arguing our case as Americans than I would have thought I needed to.

People overseas view us as arrogant and selfish. I know we are not but you need to understand what we are up against with the rest of the world.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

If by Yesteryear you mean the Crusades.....or I suppose as late as the beginning of the Hapsburg dynasty...but are we really going to hold any global standard in the postwar UN era to that place in time?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

If by Yesteryear you mean the Crusades.....or I suppose as late as the beginning of the Hapsburg dynasty...but are we really going to hold any global standard in the postwar UN era to that place in time?

He probably means WW2.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Look, I have traveled many places outside the United States, I have spent more time arguing our case as Americans than I would have thought I needed to.

People overseas view us as arrogant and selfish. I know we are not but you need to understand what we are up against with the rest of the world.

It is unfair to make assumptions on so many millions of people, based on a perception perpetuated by the actions of a few, but many of the actions of our government cause that perception.

We could apply that too many, if not most other countrys too, cant we?

KING

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If you're talking about terrorism attacks, I think many countries have been targeted for various reasons.

Insane people develop sociopathic tendencies. Insane people come from all over the world and we have our own share of them here.

If you're talking about image, I think much of the world sees us as ugly Americans, but on the other hand they wish they were Americans themselves.

Negativity is an easy attitude to adopt when considering anything, but when considering somebody or something that has influence over so many then negativity is often the first emotional response.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If you're talking about image, I think much of the world sees us as ugly Americans, but on the other hand they wish they were Americans themselves.

We as people are viewed as fat, lazy, violent people. Our government is viewed as tyrannical oppressors.

Our country is still viewed as a land of opportunity and freedom.

King

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Are WE Still Ugly Americans- KRS 1

Link Copied to Clipboard