Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Al Michaels of NBC arrested for alleged DUI in California - ESPN
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9196392/al-michaels-nbc-arrested-alleged-dui-california

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- NBC Sports announcer Al Michaels was arrested over the weekend in Southern California on suspicion of drunken driving, authorities said Sunday.

Michaels was pulled over at about 9:30 p.m. Friday after officers manning a DUI checkpoint witnessed him make an illegal U-turn, Santa Monica police Sgt. Richard Lewis said.

Michaels, the play-by-play man for "Sunday Night Football," was taken to the station, where he registered a blood-alcohol level over the .08 percent legal limit, according to Lewis.

He was booked for suspicion of DUI and held for about five hours before being released on his own recognizance, Lewis said.

"We are aware of the situation and we've been in contact with Al," said Greg Hughes, a spokesman for NBC Sports. "We have no further comment at this time."

A call Sunday by The Associated Press to Michaels' agent was not immediately returned.

Michaels was ordered to appear in court June 26.

An Emmy Award winner, the 68-year-old Michaels spent nearly three decades at ABC Sports before moving to NBC in 2007.

Michaels worked NFL games and other sports for ABC, and called "Monday Night Football" for nearly 20 years. He also is known for his call of the U.S.-Soviet Union "Miracle on Ice" game at the 1980 Winter Olympics and the earthquake-interrupted Game 3 of the 1989 World Series.

Last year he received the Vin Scully Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Broadcasting.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No offense YTown, but we should care why?

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Haha the circumstance is pretty funny if you look at the details.

Michaels pulled up to some traffic and then realized it was a DUI checkpoint. Pulled a U-Turn and the cops chased him down.

Without knowing his blood alcohol content I don't take his arrest very seriously. The legal limit is far too low.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
it happens...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Haha the circumstance is pretty funny if you look at the details.

Michaels pulled up to some traffic and then realized it was a DUI checkpoint. Pulled a U-Turn and the cops chased him down.

Without knowing his blood alcohol content I don't take his arrest very seriously. The legal limit is far too low.

I know he wont do it because he is a TV personality, and he will want to take care of this as quick as possible, and make it go away, but it would be interesting if he challenged his arrest based on the constitutionality of DUI check points, and the fact that it is legal to turn and avoid a DUI check point. You are not required by law to go through them, and you are not required by law to submit to them. So how is it legal for the Police to chase you down for doing something that is not illegal? I would guess they will say they stopped him for illegal U turn.

KING

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The only reasons I posted it are:

1) He's famous, and well known to sports (especially football) fans.

2) He calls a very visible weekly broadcast, and an arrest of this nature could impact his ability to continue doing so.

As far as the "constitutionality" of a check point ...... the police can pull someone over if they have probable cause .... the definition of which has been pretty wide ranging ...... and someone pulling a u-turn to try and avoid a checkpoint would be suspicious enough to fall into that category, Neither you (nor I) have a "constitutional right" to drive a car. It is a privledge, and can be taken away from us through a myriad of legal means, and for any number of offenses.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm getting very rusty on criminal law, but change "probable cause" to "reasonable suspicion" and I agree with you as far as stopping someone goes.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Fair enough. I'm not an attorney ..... but I do know that an officer can pull someone over for almost any suspicious behavior at all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You are right, in a way, but also wrong on DUI checkpoints.

DUI check points are not reasonable suspicion, they are a violation of our constitutional rights against illegal search and seizure. If you are stopped at a DUI checkpoint you were not stopped for suspicion of anything, you were stopped randomly for no reason. If you stop at a DUI checkpoint, you DO NOT have to comply, and you do not have to answer any questions, or even show ID. All you have to do is tell the officer you do not wish to answer any questions, ask if you are being detained, and if so on what grounds.

So him turning away from a checkpoint gave them reasonable suspicion? A check point that you do not have to comply with? How about if they didn't have the checkpoint then there would have been nothing for him to turn away from?

I can not believe somebody who is a Tea Party supporter, who as a party wants less government intrusion into our life, and wants the constitution upheld is ok with illegal search and seizure.

Another one is down in the southwest border states, they are doing immigration checkpoints. Which would be fine at the border, but they are doing them 50 to 100 miles away from the border. You are not required to submit to these illegal checks, and they don't want you to know this, but they know they are illegal and if you call them on it they will wave you on.

KING

N
Legend
Legend
N
what you say is true, but it does not apply to Al Michaels here.

Quote:

So him turning away from a checkpoint gave them reasonable suspicion?

he made an illegal U-turn. that is not only reasonable suspicion, but it is illegal and a reason to pull him over. if he would have done what you suggested (not complied to the checkpoint but gone through it), then he would have likely gotten off in court (if they even pressed forward).

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

what you say is true, but it does not apply to Al Michaels here.

Quote:

So him turning away from a checkpoint gave them reasonable suspicion?

he made an illegal U-turn. that is not only reasonable suspicion, but it is illegal and a reason to pull him over. if he would have done what you suggested (not complied to the checkpoint but gone through it), then he would have likely gotten off in court (if they even pressed forward).

And I did say they probably got him for making an illegal U Turn. An Illegal U Turn that never would have happened if they Gestapo wasn't subjecting American citizens to illegal search and seizure.

King

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Has there been a court case where DUI checkpoints have been found to be unconstitutional?

I don't remember one, but then again, I'm not 100% up on all legal matters.

Last I heard on the general matter, driving is not a Constitutional right. It is a privledge. As such, it can be licensed and legally controlled. As such, checkpoints are within the legal arena of law enforcement.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

The following article appeared in Volume 2, Issue 4 of the NMA Newsletter.

By William Pangman, a past president and founder of the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

What is a motorist obliged to do when confronted with a police roadblock?

The United States Supreme Court arrived at an answer to this question in Michigan Department of State Police v. Sitz, 110 S.Ct. 2481 (1990). In Sitz, a group of Michigan motorists challenged the constitutionality of a highway sobriety check-point utilized by the Michigan State Police. The only check-point operated in Michigan was in Saginaw County. The operation lasted for an hour and fifteen minutes and every vehicle passing through the designated location was stopped for approximately 25 seconds. When officers believed that the drivers stopped at the check-point might be under the influence of an intoxicant, those vehicles were asked to pull over to the side of the road and drivers were requested to perform field sobriety tests.

Out of the 126 motorists which passed through the check-point, only three motorists were asked to pull over. These facts were apparently important to Supreme Court Chief Justice Rehnquist, who wrote the opinion for the majority. The Court determined that the Michigan check-point, under the facts and circumstances presented, did not create an overwhelming intrusion on individual's privacy under the Fourth Amendment.

Rehnquist applied a three-point balancing test to determine whether sobriety check-points in general are reasonable under the Fourth Amendment. This test involved balancing the State's interest in preventing accidents caused by drunk drivers, the effectiveness of the sobriety check- points in achieving the goal, and the level of intrusion on an individual's constitutional right to privacy caused by the check-points.

The Chief Justice reasoned that no one could seriously dispute the magnitude of the drunken driving problem or the State's interest in eradicating it. Moreover, Rehnquist found that a 25 second delay in travel was minimally intrusive on motorist's rights, especially considering the fact that traveling motorists could turn off the road when they saw the roadblock, or make U-turns to avoid passing through it. As to the effectiveness of the sobriety check-point, the court held that the procedure was effective, even though only 1 of the 126 drivers stopped was arrested.

In the final analysis, it is now the law that from a narrow Fourth Amendment standpoint, nondiscriminatory sobriety check-points in general are not unreasonable. Bear in mind that other Fourth Amendment problems with sobriety check-points may exist when individual drivers passing through the check-point are asked to pull over.

Police do not have the right, per se, to check driver's licenses or registrations when the stop is not initiated by a violation. However, where the police have a reasonable suspicion of illegal conduct, even though there is not actual violation of the law they may examine drivers' licenses or registration.

In the Sitz case, officers were not allowed to make a driver pull over and show his/her license or check the driver's registration unless the officer noticed signs of intoxication. Moreover, a driver never has to consent to a police search of his or her person or vehicle, but, the police may make such a search even without the driver's consent when either: 1) they have probable cause to believe the vehicle contains contraband or the fruits or instrumentalities of a crime; 2) when the driver has been placed under arrest; or 3) they may make a visual inspection of the inside passenger compartment from the officer's position outside the vehicle, to observe illegal articles in plain view.

As to the extent of motorists rights; when citizens are faced with roadblocks, they should be cooperative. If they do not roll down their window it seems that the officer's suspicion would be heightened and, at minimum, may give the officer grounds to require the driver to pull over to the side of the road.

Upon initial contact with the roadblock, citizens may politely refuse to answer any of the officer's questions. The following is an example of an assertion of rights that can be reproduced and handed to an officer at a roadblock:

Assertion of Rights:

Officer, please understand:
•I refuse to talk to you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone.
•I desire to exercise all my rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this State, to be free from your interference with my person or affairs.
•If you attempt to question me, I want my lawyer present. I refuse to participate in any line-up or to perform any physical acts, or to speak or display my person or property at your direction, without first conferring with my lawyer.
•If I am under arrest, I wish to invoke and exercise my Miranda rights. If you ignore my exercise of these rights and attempt to procure a waiver, I want to confer with my lawyer prior to any conversations with you.
•If I am to be taken into custody, removed from my present location, or separated from my property, I request a reasonable opportunity to make arrangements to secure my own property. I do not consent to any impoundment or inventory of my property. I do, hereby, waive any claim of liability for loss, theft, or damage against you, your superiors or any other authority, and agree to hold all harmless therefrom, if I am afforded the reasonable opportunity to arrange for the safekeeping of my own property. If this reasonable opportunity is denied or is unavailable, I demand that only such intrusion occur as is minimally necessary to secure such property, hereby waiving any claim of liability for your failure to scrutinize the property or its contents prior to it being secured.
•If I am not under arrest, I want to leave. If I am free to leave, please tell me immediately so that I may go about my business.

We advise our clients to hand this card to the officer along with their license when stopped or contacted by police. However, drivers need not even present their license during the initial contact with the officer in a roadblock situation.

Drivers may also refuse to perform field sobriety tests. This does not prevent the officer from arresting the driver. However, the arresting officer will have substantially fewer factors to support the arrest when it is challenged later in court.

Generally, by the time the officer has requested a driver to perform these roadside agility tests, the officer already believes the driver is intoxicated. Citizens should think long and hard before deciding whether or not to provide the officer with additional "evidence" of intoxication by performing the field sobriety tests.

If the motorist does not wish to comply, the police, in absence of an articulable reason to believe a crime has been or is being committed, must allow the driver to proceed. In the face of police inquiries based on less than probable cause, the citizen has the right to remain silent and move on without fear of retaliation in the form of further detention. The "right not to respond" permits motorists to refrain from engaging in alphabet recitations or other "command performances" of verbal and physical exercises.

The Supreme Court of Oregon observed:

"I know of no law that obliges a driver to answer an officer's questions or perform 'field tests' directed at determining whether the driver has committed the crime of driving under the influence of intoxicants. Reluctance to inform the detained driver that such cooperation is voluntary can only demonstrate the state's willingness to take advantage of those of its citizens who are ignorant of their rights though it must respect the rights of those who know them."

Merely recognizing that a motorist is not obliged to cooperate with a police investigation, however, grants the citizen little security given the setting within which the questioning occurs. Understandably, the average motorist will hesitate to invoke this "right not to respond" to police questions and "requests" to perform so-called coordination tests. A late-night confrontation with an armed police officer will normally induce cooperation from all but the boldest citizens whose main concern is to appease the officer and avoid "trouble."

Indeed, the consequences of non-cooperation are undoubtedly understood to be further coercive detention. While this is, unfortunately, not unlikely to occur, it is, nevertheless, often advisable that the motorist insist on invoking his or her rights.

http://www.motorists.org/dui/roadblock

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Has there been a court case where DUI checkpoints have been found to be unconstitutional?

I don't remember one, but then again, I'm not 100% up on all legal matters.

Last I heard on the general matter, driving is not a Constitutional right. It is a privledge. As such, it can be licensed and legally controlled. As such, checkpoints are within the legal arena of law enforcement.

No,but I disagree with the court decision in Michigan that Florida posted below, but in the judges decision he also stated that a driver is not required to pass through a road block, and may turn off or do a U turn if you do not want to go through that road block. So how can the police pull you over for something that you are in your legal rights to do? He also stated that you DO NOT have to comply, and non compliance can not be used against you.

If I am driving erratically, I have zero problem with being pulled over and checked for DUI. If I am driving down the street and I am just randomly stopped, I have a problem with it.

KING

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Again, an area of the law where I'm really rusty, but I think I remember them being regarded as constitutional by the SCOTUS. I think the case had something to do with Michigan IIRC.

I think there was a balancing test where the intrusion of the search/seizure was balanced against the intrusion on the individual. This would determine whether or not the search was "reasonable" under the Fourth Amendment.

Again, someone might want to check me on that. It's been a while.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Per the article, he did an "illegal u-turn", which then gave them justification for pursuing and pulling him over.

But I'm willing to bet if they see someone turn around to avoid a checkpoint they will have someone follow you until you mess up, and it's pretty easy to find an error in almost anyone's driving habits.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm not sure of the legal ramifications of it, but I know cops of gone after people who clearly evade checkpoints for years.

On a side note, I heard Al Michaels is a giant d-bag, who also clearly bets on games that he calls.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Per the article, he did an "illegal u-turn", which then gave them justification for pursuing and pulling him over.

But I'm willing to bet if they see someone turn around to avoid a checkpoint they will have someone follow you until you mess up, and it's pretty easy to find an error in almost anyone's driving habits.

In the judges findings in the Sitz case, his ruling was in part based on the fact that you are not required to go through these checkpoints. He even says specifically that you can make a U Turn to not have to go through the checkpoint. So fine, if they are going to not allow you to do something that you have the legal right to do, per a judges ruling, then they should have to have a sign up at the nearest intersection announcing the checkpoint, and alerting you of your legal right to turn off before the check point.

KING

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just a general question, aren't all U-turns illegal?

I'm aware of places where signs say you can and can't....but when you don't see sign, what's the law?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I'm aware of places where signs say you can and can't....but when you don't see sign, what's the law?

If there is no sign that says you can't, then you are OK to make one, as long as you yield (duh)

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If there is no sign that says you can't, then you are OK to make one, as long as you yield (duh)

Assuming your doing a u-turn within the roadway itself. Doing a u-turn in a median is illegal, as is doing one in the opposite direction turn lane (One I see almost daily down here).

I would be more inclined to pull into a parking lot and do a turn if possible.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Assuming your doing a u-turn within the roadway itself. Doing a u-turn in a median is illegal, as is doing one in the opposite direction turn lane (One I see almost daily down here).

The laws on it will also vary by State.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I kinda figured that went without saying.

I usually don't make them, because they always seem shady, lol.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They can also be illegal by city. Where I live there is a sign when you enter the city limits that states u-turns are illegal city wide. IMO the only reason they do this is to give more tickets and increase revenue - and they really don't like it when you tell them that as they are issuing you a ticket

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
In Ohio, you have to take the test if you are arrested for suspicion of DUI,

Ohio OVI/DUI: Refusal to Take a Blood, Breath, or Urine Test | drivinglaws.org
http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/dui-refusal-blood-breath-urine-test/ohio.htm

Ohio law requires you to take a blood, breath, or urine test if you are arrested for an OVI. Ohio’s “implied consent” law says that if you are lawfully arrested by an officer who has probable cause to believe that you have been operating under the influence, then you consent to taking a chemical test of your blood, breath, or urine for the purpose of determining your blood alcohol content (BAC). The test must be taken within two hours of driving and the officer gets to choose which test you take.

I remember a certain head of the Democrat Party in Mahoning County years ago who got so drunk that he drove through the downtown Post Office, (there was no drive thru)

He then ran to the closest bar, had a couple drinks, and called the cops, When the police arrived, he told them that he was so shaken up that he had to have a few drinks to calm his nerves ..... in front of all of the witnesses in the bar, of course. (including a judge, and several lawyers, IIRC)

I think that he got a wreckless op, and a public intoxication, but no DUI. (going from memory here)

S
Legend
Legend
S
Not that I ever drink and drive, but I have been told by many lawyers to never take the test. They can work with a refusal in court, but it's obviously harder to work with a failed test.

Moral of the story is, don't get in the car and get to that point.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

In Ohio, you have to take the test if you are arrested for suspicion of DUI,

Ohio OVI/DUI: Refusal to Take a Blood, Breath, or Urine Test | drivinglaws.org
http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/dui-refusal-blood-breath-urine-test/ohio.htm

Ohio law requires you to take a blood, breath, or urine test if you are arrested for an OVI. Ohio’s “implied consent” law says that if you are lawfully arrested by an officer who has probable cause to believe that you have been operating under the influence, then you consent to taking a chemical test of your blood, breath, or urine for the purpose of determining your blood alcohol content (BAC). The test must be taken within two hours of driving and the officer gets to choose which test you take.

I remember a certain head of the Democrat Party in Mahoning County years ago who got so drunk that he drove through the downtown Post Office, (there was no drive thru)

He then ran to the closest bar, had a couple drinks, and called the cops, When the police arrived, he told them that he was so shaken up that he had to have a few drinks to calm his nerves ..... in front of all of the witnesses in the bar, of course. (including a judge, and several lawyers, IIRC)

I think that he got a wreckless op, and a public intoxication, but no DUI. (going from memory here)

YTown........ that is exactly what happens if someone does that. I was a Police Officer in Sandusky. This is a well known way to get out of a DUI if you are in a single car accident.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Which has always made me wonder, why do bars have parking lots??

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

For the plethora of taxi's needed by the patrons.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Designated drivers and the staff.

Too bad it's not always the case.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Yeah, good ol' Don Hanni knew every trick in the book.

I an trying to remember the name of the bar .....something like the Down Under ... or the Under Tunnel ...... or some damn thing. Tons of lawyers, judges, and such used to go there. He made sure that they all saw him having a few.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

An Emmy Award winner, the 68-year-old Michaels spent nearly three decades at ABC Sports before moving to NBC in 2007.

Michaels worked NFL games and other sports for ABC, and called "Monday Night Football" for nearly 20 years. He also is known for his call of the U.S.-Soviet Union "Miracle on Ice" game at the 1980 Winter Olympics and the earthquake-interrupted Game 3 of the 1989 World Series.

Last year he received the Vin Scully Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Broadcasting.

I have nothing against the guy except for that every time there is an interesting game on T.V. his face is on my T.V. screen.
I hate listening to anything he has to say, and I hate looking at his face. I'm sure he is a nice enough guy, just those two things.

20 years, and 30 years, He never goes away, that's half a generation, Whether it's Madden and Sommerall, or this guy and whoever he partners with, or that new announcer who sits across from Troy Aikman.
About the only one I like is who everyone seems to hate, and that is Collinsworth.
It really is one of the biggest problems I have with the NFL and sports in general that they lock these guys in to so many important broadcasts and don't rotate different personalities that I might not hate so much.

This guy is going to lose his MNF or SNF gig? No way would I be so lucky, And No way would a DUI, without injury or accident be enough to get him fired.

The problem is, these television dolt producers and exec's think there is some great value or benefit to having a storied and respected personality like this one, or maybe Bob Costas, to commentate on the biggest broadcasts instead of getting new or interesting, or a VARIETY of people to do them.
Well it is not a benefit, it is a detriment, and it makes it so Loathsome to watch these ("lousy") broadcasts. x years

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Al Michaels Arrested for Alleged DUI

Link Copied to Clipboard