Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
I

First off, I will admit, I kinda had my hopes set on Milliner. The Browns needed a Cornerback to opposite Haden and It seemed like a perfect fit. But after reading this article, and hearing multiple rumors about Dee Milliners Medical Status, I am happy we didn't draft him, because a injury prone Cornerback Is the last thing we need.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/dee-milliner-has-had-five-surgeries/

And perhaps some of you may be thinking that "5 Surgeries don't mean nothing" Lol well, let me just tell you. When your playing at a Pro Level, against players that are twice your size, and you have a Medical History like this, you won't last.

I can see Dee Milliner playing at a max of 7 years, and that's pushing It. Yes his mind may be young, but his body Is old and fragile, and that Is not good, especially when you have huge receivers playing In the NFL these days, like Calvin Johnson JR.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not a big fan of the Mingo pick myself, but considering that this Draft Class Is pretty bad, (Unless you need a O-lineman) then this pick makes perfect sense. And If It makes you guys feel any better, I can guarantee you 100% that Pittsburgh would have picked Mingo over Jones.

Did the Browns have better options? yeah, maybe, we could have traded down and gotten more picks, and maybe draft Rhodes or Mingo then, but the FO probably didn't want to take any risks, because like I said, this draft class Is so weak.

But since we drafted a OLB, we still have potential trading options with Sheard, who Is very young and talented. And I'm sure there will be alot of teams that would be interested In him.

Legend
Legend
I'd like to get Sanders Comming in the 4th...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
How many games did Milliner miss in college?

Legend
Legend
Playing injured isn't necessarily a good thing.....especially if it results in 5 surgeries.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'd like to get Sanders Comming in the 4th...

I'd be fine with this if we took a FS in the 3rd. Commings has played CB and safety so his versatility is also very appealing.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Passing on Millner was not a good thing.Mingo is a good player,but not when the secondary looks like crap....and you get more bang for your buck with Millner.Just putting pressure on a QB is not the same as,actually getting to him.They can sugar coat that all they want...I'm not buying it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
So they purposefully drafted a player that they thought was worse for the team?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

So they purposefully drafted a player that they thought was worse for the team?

I've looked at Lombardi's draft record. I don't think it was on purpose.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Funny.

There are others in the room.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
No matter how good your secondary is......they can't cover if the QB has all day to throw the ball.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If anybody bothered to read Chud & Horton's pressers about Mingo vs. CB's then it's quite clear he was their #1 Man. I think if Detroit took Mingo we would have traded down. It's real clear who they wanted and I'm glad we got him.

Hearing Chud explain why we passed on a CB for a DE/LB, Like he says, if you can put pressure on the QB, then you don't need all-pro CB's. Someone on here said the other day that it's easier to pressure the QB then it is to cover a WR for 5-6 sec's. I agree.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
First off, let me congratulate you on devising one of the more unique screennames on the board.

Secondly: I agree. "Injury History" has GOT to be a prime consideration in draft rooms... and I'm certain that it factored in the decisions of not just the Browns- but many other teams, as they were setting up their draft boards....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

and you get more bang for your buck with Millner

You only get "bang for buck" if the player can stay actually on the field.

Prime Exhibit Number One:
Courtney Brown.

I rest my case.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I can understand their hesitation on Milliner. That's fine. I would of picked him. But targeting Mingo???? I really question it. He is the epitome of boom or bust pick. But to have this kid as your first pick of the regime...especially, with a trade down available. I really question it and whoever is making the calls.

If they really do believe Sheard can fill the WOLB role, then why we drafting a backup at the top of the draft? We have glaring needs at CB and FS. It's not like our line last year didnt do well when they were healthy. After Taylor came back production across the line increased dramatically. I dont think we are at the point that we can draft back ups.

Last year we had some bad luck... but the team played hard and it was close. We could very easily been 9-7 and in the playoffs. This team is close and filled with good young talent. But to completely disregard a prime defensive position of need for a back up doesnt make sense. They must not of looked at the tape from last year when Haden was out.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I agree 100%....His previous injuries combined with his current medical report made him too much of a risk , especially given the increased physicality of the NFL....Grabbing McFadden in Rd. 3 is a decent pick at CB in terms of his and potential , what worries me is that he is only 5'8-5'9 and around 195 pounds.

The Mammal
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

They must not of looked at the tape from last year when Haden was out.

I think they looked at the tape lol. They're paid to do that, you know.

Mingo was the BPA. He's nowhere near as boom-or-bust as some would like to claim.

Building for the long-term (by drafting the BPA) is probably better than building for the short-term (drafting for need).

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
idont think he was the best player available.

Most boards I'd seen had him anywhere from 7-15. Only a couple had him top 5.

And Boom/Bust is Mingo.. Raw skills with a good athletic body that he can put some weight on that under produced in college is the ideal definition of boom or bust. But I do like his character and hope he booms. I just think that situationally it was a bad decision.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

idont think he was the best player available.

Most boards I'd seen had him anywhere from 7-15. Only a couple had him top 5.

And Boom/Bust is Mingo.. Raw skills with a good athletic body that he can put some weight on that under produced in college is the ideal definition of boom or bust. But I do like his character and hope he booms. I just think that situationally it was a bad decision.

Well he was the BPA IMO. And in Cleveland's opinion as well.

I had him going 9th to the Jets, but I've always believed he would be the most productive pass rusher in this draft class (barring Dion Jordan coming to Cleveland specifically).

He's not boom or bust. His floor is where Bruce Irvin was last year. His ceiling is Von Miller IMO. And I'd be surprised if he ends up closer to Bruce Irvin than Von Miller, considering he's so close to Von Miller as a prospect. The main difference, IMO, between the two is college production. Athletically, the two are extremely similar. They both share a world-class first-step and flexibility, they're both very good in coverage, and they're both similar in stature.

Mingo is a little rawer (probably because he was completely misused in college) than Von was when he came out, but he's not that raw. And his upside (which I think he'll hit with such great coaches here in Cleveland) is just as high.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Hey Clem, how about it's bad business to spend a top ten pick on a #2 CB with stiff hips and lacking ball skills? Seriously how is anyone upset we didn't waste a top ten pick on a CB?

Anyone look at the Steelers/Ravens and their CBs? PASS RUSH ppl. Name of the game. This board lives in lala land.

Also Clem, how many games did Brown miss in college? SMH

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

They must not of looked at the tape from last year when Haden was out.

I think they looked at the tape lol. They're paid to do that, you know.

Mingo was the BPA. He's nowhere near as boom-or-bust as some would like to claim.

Building for the long-term (by drafting the BPA) is probably better than building for the short-term (drafting for need).

I agree with this.

Also, I have always said that great players find the field ..... no matter who is ahead of them. If they force a trade to clear a spot, then so be it.

I would rather have a great player fighting it out with a decent type player for a spot, than a pair of decent type players at 2 different positions. Great players elevate those around them by making their jobs easier. They put pressure on the opposition, and take pressure off their teammates.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Passing on Milliner was a 'Good Choice'

Link Copied to Clipboard