Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Why is everyone so upset about the Fullback position?? Isn't this the least important position on the team?? From what I've seen, we're going to be running out of the shotgun most of the time anyway, so I worry so much about the freaking fullback position.

I could be wrong, but isn't the FB a little more important in Chud and Norv's offense than it was in whatever that was we saw the last 2 years?

I do agree that this coaching staff will adjust to Brandon a little more, instead of trying to jam him into their philosphies and ideas.

Is it true we are going to run some pistol?

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

Quote:

Why is everyone so upset about the Fullback position?? Isn't this the least important position on the team?? From what I've seen, we're going to be running out of the shotgun most of the time anyway, so I worry so much about the freaking fullback position.

I could be wrong, but isn't the FB a little more important in Chud and Norv's offense than it was in whatever that was we saw the last 2 years?

I do agree that this coaching staff will adjust to Brandon a little more, instead of trying to jam him into their philosphies and ideas.

Is it true we are going to run some pistol?

I asked Doug Dieken about the FB position over the weekend in a live chat and he told me that Turner didn't really utilize the FB in his scheme. I am sure he is used as a run blocker but thats it. Run blocking is still important however.

Legend
Legend
And Marecic sucked at run blocking. I remember a couple times when TR actually got to the hole at the same time. I also remember him whiffing and getting blown backwards. He just didn't appear to have the strength or explosiveness to do the job.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Doug Dieken doesn't know what he's talking about as it relates to Turner's offense and the FB.

It's a vital part of it and it's the biggest headscratcher of the offseason for me why we haven't invested in the position yet.

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Quote:

Bess and nelson are both bleh as in no real improvement over what we had. They are depth WR from other teams who put up the same crappy numbers as our depth WRs.

Bess has 5 years in and has only missed 3 games in 5 years from injury averaging about 700 yards and just over 2 TDs a season in Miami with the rock solid QB rotation of Pennington, Henne, Moore, and the rookie Tannehill...

Which of our depth receivers has achieved anything close to that? MoMass who can't stay on the field and averages about 400 yards a year? Cooper and his 200 yards? Norwood and his 200 yards?

David Nelson has been less productive but in 3 seasons he still has a 650 yard season, which beats any season MoMass has had, primarily because Nelson actually finished the season on the field.

It's not a mindblowing improvement, but they are, Bess specifically, better than any other WR we've had to be our possession type guy.

I dont know mate he was thrown to an aweful lot to ONLY have 700 yards. There is a reason miami wanted to get rid of him. I think he will be lucky to gain 4-500 yards with us and the 30-40 catches he will get instead of 50-70 catches.

I am not saying I hate him or think he is terrible. I think he is OK. I'm just saying it's only a marginal improvement at best so bleh =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

And Marecic sucked at run blocking. I remember a couple times when TR actually got to the hole at the same time. I also remember him whiffing and getting blown backwards. He just didn't appear to have the strength or explosiveness to do the job.

I agree with your comment, my point is that FB was not a position Banner and Lombardi were gonna concentrate on.

I hope Richardson can do more this year in a better offense.

I loved Obi last year though, the few times we saw him he reeled off big runs.

Not sayin Obi should be the #1 RB, just loved his style. He didn't hesitate when he got the ball, he hit the holes fast. I don't see Obi as the #3 back, I see him as the #2. I was a Hardesty fan, but Obi is the guy I wanna see when Trent Richardson takes a breather.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bess and nelson are both bleh as in no real improvement over what we had. They are depth WR from other teams who put up the same crappy numbers as our depth WRs.

Bess has 5 years in and has only missed 3 games in 5 years from injury averaging about 700 yards and just over 2 TDs a season in Miami with the rock solid QB rotation of Pennington, Henne, Moore, and the rookie Tannehill...

Which of our depth receivers has achieved anything close to that? MoMass who can't stay on the field and averages about 400 yards a year? Cooper and his 200 yards? Norwood and his 200 yards?

David Nelson has been less productive but in 3 seasons he still has a 650 yard season, which beats any season MoMass has had, primarily because Nelson actually finished the season on the field.

It's not a mindblowing improvement, but they are, Bess specifically, better than any other WR we've had to be our possession type guy.

I dont know mate he was thrown to an aweful lot to ONLY have 700 yards. There is a reason miami wanted to get rid of him. I think he will be lucky to gain 4-500 yards with us and the 30-40 catches he will get instead of 50-70 catches.

I am not saying I hate him or think he is terrible. I think he is OK. I'm just saying it's only a marginal improvement at best so bleh =)

I disagree, and here's why.

Bess will be the "go to" guy on 3rd downs. He may not break plays for TDs, but he will get 1st downs. He knows how to get past the sticks. He caught 61 passes last year, and 38 went for a first down. That's a very solid percentage, and something teams can definitely use. For his career, he has 183 first downs on 321 carer catches. That means that almost 2/3 of his catches go for 1st downs. That's exactly what you want from your slot guy.

Look at what Wes Welker did last year in New England. He only averaged 11.5 yards/catch, but 72 of his 118 catches went for 1st downs. That's astonishing, and helped the Patriots a huge amount.

The pats replaced Welker with Amendola ...... no speedster, but a guy who also moves the chains. Amendola created 38 1st downs on 63 catches in St Louis last year. He averaged only 10.6 yards/catch ...... but those 1st downs are vitally important.

We had no one like that last year, who we could go to and count on to get a first down for us. Norwood showed some promise, but then he got hurt. Josh Cooper had 6 first downs on 8 catches. That was a solid start .... but now we have a veteran who has proven capable of making first downs consistently.

In 2006, Joe Jurevicius had 40 catches for 495 yards. In 2007, he had 50 for 641 yards. He didn't go for huge yardage, but he had a very valuable role on the team.

In 2008, he got hurt, and we had no one to take that role. Stallworth and Steptoe were totally incapable of handling that role for the Browns. A vital piece of the offense was gone, and it collapsed. Romeo Crennel was out of a job the following year.

An effective slot receiver is probably one of the most underrated pieces on the entire team, yet that "security blanket" on 3rd down can be so important for a QB. He becomes the QB's best friend on 3rd downs once that trust is established.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
YT

I agree and like to add one more thing... this will give us a Vet WR (not MoMass) to help mentor our younger more talented WR's and provide depth. I still would like to bring one more Vet WR into camp.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a question. What is the difference between a route of a possession receiver and the route of a tight end. Arent they pretty much the same?

Joe Thomas #73
B
Legend
Legend
B
In some ways the same purpose, but not the same type of routes.

TE's are more drag route, filling in after another receiver clears the area, more finding soft spots in zones, and working the seam.

Slot guys do that as well, but run more quick hitting routes, such as slants.

TE's also tend to work more inside the hash while the slot guys tend to work more of the field.

At least that's how I see it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have a question. What is the difference between a route of a possession receiver and the route of a tight end. Arent they pretty much the same?

Maybe to some degree, but not completely.

A possession receiver will typically run a lot of drags, short outs, digs, some slants, and such. He will mostly run quick routes designed to get the yardage needed. His role is to become available to the QB so that if nothing down the field immediately presents itself, he can convert the 3rd down and keep the chains moving. Very often he is also one of the most precise route runners on the team, so that the QB can have absolute confidence that he will be exactly where he is supposed to be.

The TE can run some of these same routes, but he isn't strictly concerned with "just" moving the chains. Some TE can frequently contribute big plays in the passing game, especially up the seam. Depending on the player, a TE might run middle or even deep routes. He can still run possession type routes on other plays, but he is not as shoehorned into that role as a "possession" receiver is.

My brain is in pain med mode right now, but I hope this makes some sense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
aej Offline
Rookie
Rookie
A
how many times did our receivers drop the ball on 3rd and short. We didn't have anyone who weeden could count on to make the catch for 1st downs. Bess gives us that.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Had a feeling the FO would not upgrade the free safety position in this draft/ it wasn't as high a priority for them as pass rusher and cornerback.

I'm not counting the Slaughter pick as addressing the need, coming off a torn Achiles and being a 6th round pick. Gibson and Hagg are likely backups and that's being generous.

They should REALLY add a veteran, I'm hoping there's a camp casualty we can pick off from another squad. Keep our eyes peeled!

Other than that it's really nice to see them pump talent into the front seven, one thing at a time I suppose.

I'm totally cool stocking picks for a possible trade up to get Bridgewater next draft if he's all that and a bag of chips; thinking that could be the move. He's got a big arm, mobile, above avg athletically, game 'seems slow for him.' We shall see!

In this draft, the Bess trade will make the biggest impact as he's a HIGHLY underrated receiver who just seems to rack up 1st downs on 3rd like a boss.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How do we look after draft weekend??

Link Copied to Clipboard