Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Linkaroo

On my iPad so copy/paste isn't easy, click the link for story.
----------------

How incredibly sad for this boy and his family, but also how traumatizing for his classmates. Plus, how'd he get a gun in school?

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
terribly sad

Here's the article:

CINCINNATI (AP) — Other students began yelling as a 17-year-old boy sitting in the front of a classroom pulled out a handgun and shot himself in the head, according to a police report.
The student remained in critical condition in a hospital Tuesday as classes resumed at La Salle High School.
Green Township police said there were at least 21 other students in the first-period classroom Monday morning at the all-male Catholic school west of Cincinnati. Teacher Michael Holman told police he was at his desk when he heard yelling, then saw the youth struggle briefly with the handgun, put it to his right temple and fire.
He "discharged one round into his head," the police report stated.
The student is a junior and an honors student. He made the top honor roll on the most recent academic report and has been active in Boy Scouts. School spokesman Greg Tankersley said he has an extensive record of community service, and has been "highly involved" in school life.
Holman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. He is an English teacher and the school's director of the Lasallian Scholars Institute, a program for high-performing students.
Tankersley said an all-school prayer service and discussion was planned Tuesday, with grief counselors on hand. He said school officials felt it was important to bring students back together to talk about what happened.
Green Township police said they would review security at the school, but Chief Bart West said school officials reacted according to their safety plan Monday. The school was put in lockdown, and students were later dismissed to parents.
Improving school security has been a high priority around the state in the aftermath of last year's fatal shooting of three students at Chardon High School in northeast Ohio and the December shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut. Officials say the FBI and U.S. Secret Service have gotten involved in a bomb-threat investigation at Cuyahoga Falls in northeast Ohio, which was closed Monday as a precaution. There was a similar threat there in March.
Green Township police were investigating how the boy obtained what they described only as a semi-automatic handgun.
His family has requested privacy while they focus on efforts to save his life by the University of Cincinnati Medical Center doctors and staff.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
There's a lot of mental illness and depression issues I won't even begin to address, because I don't know the kid.

But this is a disturbing trend. We've always been a 'look at me!' society to an extent, but for the most part that was often used as a carrot on a stick to make some accomplishments out of one's life. Now, it doesn't matter what you do, so long as people take notice.

That manifests itself in many, many ways, and it's not a positive thing.

Legend
Legend
Very sad for him, his friends, his family, and the people in that classroom.

I hope that he recovers well, and that he learns that no matter what, life is worth a whole lot more than that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow. I am sorry to hear this.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Thanks for posting the article for me.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's always incredibly sad when a young person feels the need to try and end their own life.

I cannot imagine what drives a person to that level of hopelessness.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
sad and scary. Hopefully this kid gets the help he needs.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Teens are stuck between having what seems to them as incredible power and inability to have control over their own lives. Their minds are not able to process the idea that they will not forever be stuck as the person they are in the situation they are in.

This kid was an Honor-Roll kid at an all boys school, which I assume his parents have to pay tuition.

A lot of kids experience break-downs in their first year of college.

It's hard to determine the causes for this boy's snap, but it was at the school and self destructive, so I assume he somehow was over his limit of stress and felt powerless to change it.

I hope he lives and is able to have a fulfilling life.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I agree, it is sad to see our young people resort to suicide, thinking that is the only way to address their problems. I hope and pray this young man pulls through.

The young man is an honors student (junior) at La Salle High School, an all-male Catholic school, near Cincinnati.

I question...how did this kid get a .45 semi auto into that classroom?...a classroom with 21 other students. This could have been another tragedy had the other students and teacher been the intended target.

The La Salle school officials and school board need to explain how that gun made it's way into the school. If they thought..."gun violence can't happen at La Salle"...they just got a rude awakening.

La Salle could have been the next Sandy Hook...

As far as I know, there are no mandated safety standards to stop guns from entering Ohio schools. If there are, please correct me.

I'm afraid that many schools in the United States have the attitude..."it can't happen here"...

Sadly, imo, it will happen again...there will be another school shooting in the USA.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
F
Legend
Legend
F
Because unless they install metal detectors, guards and/or check every backpack/purse that enters the school, it is very easy to get a handgun into school.

Hence why "Gun Free" zones don't work, especially when the sign is only a deterent to a law abiding citizen with no intent on harm of themselves or others.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Thought this would kinda it in here.

Quote:

Baker Act reports for Lee Co. students climbing

LEE COUNTY, FL -
Deputies are responding to more outbursts at schools across Lee County. The result is that more students undergoing mental health evaluations after being committed through the Baker Act.

Baker Act reports are up 50-percent from 10 years ago, according to the Department of Children and Family Services. And in Lee County, the numbers are just as staggering.

- Learn more about the Baker Act

Amity Chandler, with the Lee County School District, says sometimes a student's plea for help can come in the form of writing. Other students, she explained, may have violent outbursts.

"It can be a physical outburst that escalates," she said.

Officials we spoke with say one of those extreme situations happened last week when deputies met an Estero High School student in the hospital.

That student had attempted suicide and told deputies, "Yes. I wanted to kill myself."

"There are two to three Baker Acts per week from elementary all the way through high school," Chandler said.

An outburst can land a person at the Lee County Mental Health Center for at least 72 hours.

Officials we spoke with explained that a law enforcement agent or school resource officer can Baker Act a student even without the parents agreeing to it.

Experts say that students' erratic behavior seems to be escalating for a number of reasons. They say social media, bullying and lack of real relationships are factors.

But perhaps the most dangerous, they say, is drug use.

"We have an increase in kids certainly that are doing illicit drugs or taking prescription drugs that are not prescribed to them," said Sofia Adams, VP of the Lee County Mental Health Center.

They say there is one drug in particular that has an increased potential to put kids into a crazed state of psychosis.

"There has been an increase in Spice; it's a synthetic type of weed. It can take days and days and days to clear so it's quite scary," said Adams.

Lee Mental Health has already helped 960 people under 17 this year alone. That's more than they helped all of last year.

Lee County Mental Health has been keeping their statistics for years. However, this is the first year the Lee County Sheriff's Office is tracking it.

Deputies are also getting better crisis management training to assess mental health cases.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/22122330/student-baker-act-reports-climbing

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Pearl Jam saw this coming 22 years ago...

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

And Nirvana perpetuated the woe is me, life sucks attitude. Damn music got so dark and woefull in the 90's

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

And Nirvana perpetuated the woe is me, life sucks attitude. Damn music got so dark and woefull in the 90's

he's referring to the Jeremy music video where a teen commits suicide in front of his class

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Never seen it, but then I wasn't a PJ fan. Vedder looks constipated when he sings.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
the song Jeremy was about a boy in Texas who really did pull a gun in class and shoot himself. Eddie read about it in the paper and wrote a song about it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I question...how did this kid get a .45 semi auto into that classroom?...

He put it in his backpack and walked into school.. the better question is, how did he get it out of the house.

Quote:

As far as I know, there are no mandated safety standards to stop guns from entering Ohio schools. If there are, please correct me.

As was stated, the only way to even come close to that is limited entry access points, metal detectors, guards, and mandatory backpack and package searches... and almost every school system claims to be operating on a shoestring budget anyway... granted this was a private school but still... schools don't have tens of thousands of dollars a year to maintain that level of security.

yebat' Putin
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Even so, if they did have those searches and measures in place, it only changes where the incident would occur. If a kid wanted to shoot up a school, it wouldn't make a difference to him if it was the kids standing in line to go in, or kids in his classroom...

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
One thing that keeps amazing me in these stories is how amazing our medical treatment must be these days. I can't believe a kid can shoot himself in the head and be saved. That is astounding to me. Same story with the medical treatment in the marathon bombings and the treatment for all the stabbing victims a while back.

Legend
Legend
That likely isn't so much the medical treatment as it is the caliber of the round and the path it took.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

That likely isn't so much the medical treatment as it is the caliber of the round and the path it took.

This. My neighbor growing up shot himself in an attempted suicide. It hit his skull and deflected straight up. Basically they stitched up the skin and that was it. It was a .22 and a lucky bounce.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Agreed.

A person could be on the operating table of the best trauma center in the country, with 10 surgeons on hand, and if they put the gun to their head, pulled the trigger on 12 gauge shotgun with a slug in it, they just ain't making it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Now, it doesn't matter what you do, so long as people take notice.

And this is a new phenomenon? This has been true as long as people have been around.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
In the meantime we could just attack security cameras to every kid to make sure they don't misbehave. Don't relieve paranoia by giving up your rights, kids.

It turns out when people really want to kill other people metal detectors won't stop them.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
We'll be thankful for the metal detectors when the robot apocalypse comes.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

He put it in his backpack and walked into school.. the better question is, how did he get it out of the house.

Excellent question!

How many of these kids get guns from law abiding yet stupid-not mentally ill-stupid gun owners?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Excellent question!

How many of these kids get guns from law abiding yet stupid-not mentally ill-stupid gun owners?

I don't know. 4? Is 4 the answer?

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Excellent question!

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

We'll be thankful for the metal detectors when the robot apocalypse comes.

http://www.youtube.com/v/lVr1BQ3MGOQ

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Excellent question!

That's the answer to an entirely different question which would take me a while to ask.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Ohio Teen Attempts Suicide in Class

Link Copied to Clipboard