Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Your spot on in my book. He adds depth to the OL, which was needed. Will he be an all pro? I doubt it, but he is an able body compared to some of the OL players the Browns had prior. I am not going to list names since there are too many, but Butler is an upgrade even if just for depth then some of the other players the team had before.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't understand how people are down on this signing and think they need to scrutinize every single move made by the front office. The guy was brought into camp to compete for a backup role on the o-line. Not every signing is going to be a big name or big impact guy. They need bodies and grabbed another one with Butler. There is pretty much 0 risk with the signing. If he works out, great. If not, nothing was lost.

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
I agree my friend it's all about capable bodies the more the better off the Browns are especially with injuries which happen. Big names are nice, but you also need depth, cheap depth and if they don't pan out, no harm no foul. Those are my thoughts and some may disagree which is cool, but the more possible able bodies the Browns add, the better off the team will be in the long run.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I don't mind the attention being paid to the OL. Although it's one of the strongest units on the team the FO seems to be trying to tweak it somehow. I am not opposed to trying to improve a strength; the logic behind it is just not obvious to me unless some of these OT's they are bringing in will be tried at guard. They aren't saying this publicly nor do they have to. It just leaves questions hanging out there.

And you bring up a very valid point.

While "some claim" the OL is our strongest unit, I suggest for them to look at how they play in run blocking. While we do have some very good talent on our OL, I think they do half of their job poorly. (Run blocking)

So interior help is needed whether people wish to see it or not.

I have no idea if their intention is to even try moving him to G, but it's much easier for a OT to transition to G than some make it out to be, although his sixe does concern me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Quote:

Quote:

I don't mind the attention being paid to the OL. Although it's one of the strongest units on the team the FO seems to be trying to tweak it somehow. I am not opposed to trying to improve a strength; the logic behind it is just not obvious to me unless some of these OT's they are bringing in will be tried at guard. They aren't saying this publicly nor do they have to. It just leaves questions hanging out there.

And you bring up a very valid point.

While "some claim" the OL is our strongest unit, I suggest for them to look at how they play in run blocking. While we do have some very good talent on our OL, I think they do half of their job poorly. (Run blocking)

So interior help is needed whether people wish to see it or not.

I have no idea if their intention is to even try moving him to G, but it's much easier for a OT to transition to G than some make it out to be, although his sixe does concern me.

Excellent points you laid out and I agree. Depth is key. If Butler works out, that tells me he worked to gain a roster spot, if not, no harm no foul In my opinon we need more like him, accept your role and go with it from that point. I am tired of waiting on taking developmental players, but rather stock pile on players who have been there and done that..

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

Isn't Brandon Moore still a free agent!? He would be way better than any of the Guards we currently have on the team.

If that was true I doubt he would be unsigned as of yet. Again we got OGs that can be upgraded on but not as easily as one will think. We seem to be signing a heck of a lot of OTs not OGs. Although I have maintained that OTs can move to the Interior a lot easier than OGs going outside. But it looks like we are looking to upgrade on our depth...possibly one of these kids can surprise in the development n upgrade on Greco, Pinkston or Lava. But they got to be a heck of a player to do so.

JMHO

This is nothing more than an attempt to upgrade our swing-tackle depth in Cousins.

And it's needed.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
With Hardesty in there, I thought the run blocking looked pretty good.....

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I was hoping I wouldn't have to see a reposting of that.

At this point, any players of this type are moves to possibly strengthen the bottom of the roster.

Building the bottom of the roster is as important as building the top of the roster.

I don't see any negatives.

Exactly. If he beats out the last OL on the roster, then we improved the bottom of the roster. If he doesn't, then he's gone. Why is this such an issue?

If you improve the last spot on the roster, you improve the team.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If you improve the last spot on the roster, you improve the team.

Yeah!! Some one gets it!

Not every signing improves a team from the top down.

They bitch about lack of depth, sign a player for possible depth and they bitch because they signed a player for depth....

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

With Hardesty in there, I thought the run blocking looked pretty good.....

It was. Hardesty and Richardson are 2 completely different players. Hardesty hits the hole immediately. He bursts through the line. Richardson is more of a read the line and see where to go type. In college he would set up deep in the backfield and see plays develop. It was different in last year's offense, where he set up much closer to the line, and timing was the most important aspect of every play. Trent had to learn to trust that a hole would be there, as opposed to being able to see the hole in college.

I think that Trent will be more effective this year, as the offense will better fit him, and he will almost certainly be set up deeper on a regular basis as we use the shotgun more.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
True Lemmy

All the Impact signings have been done. Now we are bringing in competitive players for the 80+ roster for training camp n Preseason Games. If one or two make the team...great.

Starters? I don't expect that.

Pit... I don't get what you are stating. Butler was brought in here to better our Run Blocking???

Quote:

While "some claim" the OL is our strongest unit, I suggest for them to look at how they play in run blocking.

Well its pretty much a fact not a claim. Why don't you tell us what you see when you look at our play in run blocking...IF YOU CAN, I'm just curious what fallacy you can dig up here. Oh wait...Teams played 7 in the box

We had Absolutely no passing game to speak of - We had no vertical stretch established. We had a rookie RB that was top pick of this draft. Teams didn't game plan to stop him first yeah otay...I know you never hear teams talking about defense and state the first step in stopping the pass is to stop the run...on our team with our Offense in 2012 that was sort of personified.

So I definitely did see things to be improved regarding our Run Blocking. I thought our power pulls from our offside OGs were inferior. Especially from the LG. Pinkston was flat out slow n late. Greco got there but couldn't make a block on a moving target nor have the ability to over power the Defenders. I thought that was our most glaring overall Run Blocking character that was unsatisfactory. But for the most part we were out numbered at the point of attack. We had no Slobber knocker FB to even up the number n although Alex Smith got into the 2nd tier withing the play being drawn up he was not much help.

Whether teams actually had a 7 or 8 count within that exact drawn up box...there was usually 10 close or into the box due to the lame routes in our WCO most peeking n overplaying the run (unless a passing down) - why our play actions had WRs wide open too bad we didn't utilize that enough - I have no clue why? But when we did pressure was none existent n WRs had separation.

Was our pass blocking more superior than our run blocking...I think so.

Can our run blocking improve...without a doubt it can.

Was our Run blocking as bad as portrayed by some dawgs like Pit...no way. Just a fan who looks at the game n stares at the ball n has no clue whats going on in that LOS. Oh wait...my observances do not apply in discussion. I post way too much in Positives... so PIT's opinion rules according to him yeah OTAY.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm always amazed at how a scrub like this can get two pages of chat on him. lol wut

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'm always amazed at how a scrub like this can get two pages of chat on him. lol wut

HAHAHA!!! Same here.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It's the off-season.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

It's the off-season.

So true ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

One of two things happens when we sign a back-up or draft a guy in the 6th round..

1. It was stupid because the guys no good or has been hurt or has character issues or something.....

or

2. The guy is a diamond in the rough that is going to be a super star some day if he can just get the chance and get some decent coaching...

Most people just don't want to let it go as... it is what it is...

yebat' Putin
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

One of two things happens when we sign a back-up or draft a guy in the 6th round..

1. It was stupid because the guys no good or has been hurt or has character issues or something.....

or

2. The guy is a diamond in the rough that is going to be a super star some day if he can just get the chance and get some decent coaching....

Name a back-up or 6th/7th round pick who doesn't, or didn't, fit into one of those 2 categories.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Pit... I don't get what you are stating. Butler was brought in here to better our Run Blocking???

I wouldn't say that was the primary cause for bringing him here, but I hope he can help in our run blocking.

Quote:

So I definitely did see things to be improved regarding our Run Blocking. I thought our power pulls from our offside OGs were inferior. Especially from the LG. Pinkston was flat out slow n late. Greco got there but couldn't make a block on a moving target nor have the ability to over power the Defenders. I thought that was our most glaring overall Run Blocking character that was unsatisfactory. But for the most part we were out numbered at the point of attack. We had no Slobber knocker FB to even up the number n although Alex Smith got into the 2nd tier withing the play being drawn up he was not much help.

So even you saw things that needed improvement in our run blocking, yet somehow I was wrong by saying the very same thing. wow.

Quote:

Was our pass blocking more superior than our run blocking...I think so.

Can our run blocking improve...without a doubt it can.

Yeah, I said that too,

Quote:

Was our Run blocking as bad as portrayed by some dawgs like Pit...no way. Just a fan who looks at the game n stares at the ball n has no clue whats going on in that LOS.

Well of course Tab. Unless people look through orange colored glasses like you do, they couldn't possibly have a clue how much our run blocking failed in many areas. Even though you pointed out some yourself.

Quote:

Oh wait...my observances do not apply in discussion. I post way too much in Positives... so PIT's opinion rules according to him yeah OTAY.

As poorly as we did in YPC, you can make all of the excuses in the world. But it won't change the facts.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

LOL

2 pages ... pfft that ain't nothing I can make it 5 pages by adding three words:

Heckert and Weeden

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Heckert and Weeden

Both would have picked Couch over Holcomb.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Heckert and Weeden

Solid proof of how stupid both men are. Holcomb was far superior to Couch.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heckert and Weeden

No way, not behind this line and with real RB's

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heckert and Weeden

He would if the receivers could get open and catch

#gmstrong

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heckert and Weeden

He would if the receivers could get open and catch

but Charlie Frye goes bass fishing with Joe Thomas in the offseason, which proves he's a real leader.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Wow Pitts pretty cold you have anything but lip service backing any of it. Here are a few stats you may want to take a look at it.

RB Yards: Yards per carry by that team's running backs, according to standard NFL numbers.

Cleveland: 3.79; NFL average: 4.25

Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. This is the only statistic on this page that includes quarterbacks.

Cleveland: 53%; NFL average 63%

Stuffed: Percentage of runs where the running back is tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage. Since being stuffed is bad, teams are ranked from stuffed least often (#1) to most often (#32).

Cleveland: 19%; NFL average 20%

Second Level Yards: Yards which this team's running backs earn between 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries.

Cleveland: 1.08; NFL average 1.07

Open Field Yards: Yards which this team's running backs earn more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries

Cleveland: .40; NFL average .72

It is important to understand that these ratings only somewhat separate the offensive line from the running backs. A team with a very good running back will appear higher no matter how bad their line, and a team with a great line with appear lower if the running back is terrible.

To me, it doesn't look like the Browns are worst in the league.

Innovative Statistics - 2012 OFFENSIVE LINES

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Heckert and Weeden

I am sorry, am I missing something here? How would Weeden have picked Couch over Holcomb? Do you mean Holmgren?

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
V
Legend
Legend
V
He was joking.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We weren't the "worst in the league".

But here is what did happen. The only G that even got to the second level of blocking was Lavau. He did get some downfield blocking. Otherwise, none of the rest did at any time with any consistency.

Our G's, to this point, simply haven't been of the road grading variety enough to sustain run blocks. Stats can say anything but when you watch the games, our G's simply aren't good run blockers.

Now you can change the blocking schemes with pulling and sealing to help to help create holes in other ways without having to be road graders, but such tactics weren't employed to overcome their lack of physicality.

It is what it is and stats simply won't change that.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

We weren't the "worst in the league".

But here is what did happen. The only G that even got to the second level of blocking was Lavau. He did get some downfield blocking. Otherwise, none of the rest did at any time with any consistency.

Our G's, to this point, simply haven't been of the road grading variety enough to sustain run blocks. Stats can say anything but when you watch the games, our G's simply aren't good run blockers.

Now you can change the blocking schemes with pulling and sealing to help to help create holes in other ways without having to be road graders, but such tactics weren't employed to overcome their lack of physicality.

It is what it is and stats simply won't change that.

Well there it is your opinion on what you saw, and you don't like stats! Therefore, run blocking bad!

Here is what I saw. A dancing/hesitating Richardson giving defenses way to much time filling gaps, which if you looked above, clearly pointed out with statistics. As for getting to the second level, it makes it dang hard to do when your back is looking for a hole that already came and went. Richards needs a more aggressive attack instead of trying to make is own hole. When Hardesty ran and wasn't fumbling, he get through the holes cleanly. In order to have success in the run game, both OL and RB must work in harmony after all it is the NFL. It is simple to blame the OL when a RB is unsuccessful. Richardson being hurt added to the problem, but it was not the root cause of all the run issues. A healthy second year Richardson having an entire TC should eliminate many of run blocking issues.

Biggest overall offense problem last season was speed. It started with the QB. Weedon couldn't make his reads fast enough. Richardson/Weedon exchanges were slow. Browns did everything in slow motion.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Funny thing, Weeden had all day to pass. So while Weeden had a solid pocket and did not perform well, I don't blame the pass blocking for that. I'm not going to debate the dancing by TRich, because it's true.

But I simply didn't see all of those holes to run through that he missed like you seem to indicate.

I judge the run blocking on holes to run through, not by what the running back does or doesn't do. Each man has a job to do and you can't base one by the actions of another. You must have seen a lot of holes to run through that were created that I simply didn't see. Or you may not have as I was watching the exact same games.

But it certainly wasn't an issue of eight men in the box as some tried to indicate. Yes, I guess we will see how much our run blocking is or is not satisfactory. But my eyes say we need quite a bit of improvement in that area.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign tackle Rashad Butler

Link Copied to Clipboard