Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Weren't there some people who were really upset that we didn't sign this guy?

link

Rolando McClain’s turbulent NFL career is coming to an end at the age of 23, and just about a month after getting a second chance in Baltimore.

The Ravens placed the inside linebacker and former first-round pick on the reserve/retired list Wednesday afternoon, General Manager Ozzie Newsome announced.

“Rolando let me know that he plans to retire from the NFL,” Newsome stated. “We have placed him on the Reserve/Retired list.”

McClain signed a one-year contract with the Ravens on April 12, but was arrested just 10 days later in his hometown of Decatur, Ala. It was the latest in a string of off-field problems for McClain since entering the league in 2009 as the eighth-overall pick.

McClain was arrested in December of 2011 and charged with third-degree assault, among others.

In January, he was arrested after an officer pulled him over for a window tint violation. He reportedly pleaded guilty to that charge on May 6 and charges of providing false information were dropped, according to The Baltimore Sun.

McClain’s is due in court on July 9 for his most recent charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

McClain finishes his three-year NFL career with 274 tackles (195 solo), 6.5 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble and 23 passes defensed in 41 career games with Oakland.

The Ravens now have one less inside linebacker, but did select Arthur Brown in the second round of the NFL draft. That leaves Brown and Jameel McClain as the likely starters, with Josh Bynes and Albert McClellanas the top challengers.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I heard he was retiring so he could spend more time with the police.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Not that surprising.

I'm telling you (not specifically you BFS79), this guy is really no good on or off the field. Even the Ravens make mistakes (See Boller, Kyle).

If you're curious, watch film of his play last year. Always making bad decisions and out of place.

Something is not right with the guy upstairs.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
didn't HACK trade for him in our mock draft? Way to go HACK

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

If he somehow manages to avoid prison time within the next year or two, we'll be reading all about how he's turned his life around and is coming out of retirement - and some team will offer him a nice contract too.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
M
Legend
Legend
M
He'll make a comeback in a year or two once he figures out he needs money to sustain his lifestyle. This is a temporary thang.

He's 23?

Yeah, ok.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 05/15/13 04:40 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

J/C

If he somehow manages to avoid prison time within the next year or two, we'll be reading all about how he's turned his life around and is coming out of retirement - and some team will offer him a nice contract too.

I doubt he'll manage to stay off the trouble-radar. But if he does, he'll be welcomed back more than JaMarcus Russel is IMO, haha...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I heard he was retiring so he could spend more time with the police.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

didn't HACK trade for him in our mock draft? Way to go HACK

He did. I got conditional picks. LOL

Legend
Legend
I hope your conditional pick is still in effect!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

Not that surprising.

I'm telling you (not specifically you BFS79), this guy is really no good on or off the field. Even the Ravens make mistakes (See Boller, Kyle).

If you're curious, watch film of his play last year. Always making bad decisions and out of place.

Something is not right with the guy upstairs.

This.

I do think we'll hear about his comeback attempt someday, but he'll never be any good.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First offense was too much TINT on his windows? Wow, lets lock the bum up for life. No one knows the circumstances of this latest offense. Considering it's the South some bubba cop might have been out of line..... or perhaps McClain was the guilty party.... who knows? Making him out to be some desperate criminal though is a bit much.

The retirement is extremely weird tough....as others have said, he'll probably try a come back at some point.... we shall see

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Considering it's the South

What?????

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I was one of the guys who thought we should have brought him in. Never said he was great. Just thought it was worth a shot because I felt we needed a run-stopper at ILBer.

I was wrong.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
What do mean by that????
I can tell you know JACK about the south!!!!!
You can keep you mouth shut if your intelligence is no more than that!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
You know what's funny about this. If we had of brought him in most know it alls on here would have been giving Lombardi total heck over it and how much a idiot we have running the show and how nobody but us was even considering him. He would have been BLASTED on here. But since it was Ozzie that made this mistake you will NEVER hear not one negative peep!!!!
Yep...perception fuels the fire!!!!!

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
simmer down little feller

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Legend
Legend
Geez if I knew insulting the south would bring you and deep out of the woodwork I would have done so myself much earlier

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
The first offense was third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and discharging a firearm inside the city limits. After a financial settlement the charges where dropped while on appeal. Second was the window tint which was not what got him arrested it was the lying to a police officer ( false name). The third was disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Maybe if you spent more time reading and less time with the south cracks you would not have missed all of that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What do mean by that????
I can tell you know JACK about the south!!!!!
You can keep you mouth shut if your intelligence is no more than that!!!

I think there is indeed a stereotype out there about southern law enforcement. Not sure if it's earned or just a product of the entertainment industry pushing that view.. Myself, I've traveled a bit in the south and haven't seen any behavior that would lead me to believe they are any different in the south then they are in the north..

I think too many people have watched that movie "in the heat of the night" I'm talking the original movie, not the TV show.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
" I got the motive which is robbery and the body which is dead"

I thnk the implication is a little overboard but make no mistake there is an undertow in the south that has a higher prejudice quotient than in the north ( i have lived in a lot of places ), while I do not want that to be an indictment of all police, human nature would indicate some ( and I emphazise SOME), may still fit the old stereotype.

That said, don't try to mitigate this moron's actions by implying some deep seated hatred for African Americans inherent in southern law enforcement... that on it's basic level is absurd and does exactly what we often do for our athletes and stars... gives them an out.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
K
All Pro
All Pro
K

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D

I knew you had tobacco juices flowing on that one!!!

Whats up my friend?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I agree Daman on the incorrect stereotyping. The movies and media are two very powerful impressionable tools.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
funny what a few words can do!

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Rolando McClain...retiring...

Link Copied to Clipboard