Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#788873 05/16/13 07:13 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
With post that include, Tebow, Titus Young, Rolando McClain, Jimmy Haslam and Armonty Bryant I surely hope this will not be deleted or moved. Hoping the moderators cut me some slack.

This is what you would hope happens way more often in the NFL. Maybe in this cynical world it just goes unnoticed...

Warrick Dunn earns MBA

Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT

Getty Images
One of the most respected NFL players during his career continues to provide new reasons to respect him.

Retired running back Warrick Dunn, who played for the Buccaneers, Falcons, and once again for the Buccaneers, has earned an MBA degree from Emory University.

“You are never too old or too rich or never experienced enough to continue learning,” Dunn said, via FOX 5 in Atlanta.

Dunn completed the degree in 21 months.

“No matter where you come from, if you set your mind, if set your goals if you work hard and dedicate and sacrifice you can accomplish things and this is a huge accomplishment,” Dunn said.

Dunn likewise continues to raise funds to provide single parents with housing. On Tuesday, Dunn gave Kimberly Kindel and her three children their first home.

His assistance of single parents was inspired by the death of his mother, Betty Smothers, a police officer killed in the line of duty when Dunn, the oldest of six children, was 18.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Good kid even if he was FSU...

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
During the Browns hiatus Dunn was my favorite player in the NFL bar none. My favorite type of back, those little shifty / speedy guys who can still move the pile. He also saved me from being a Cowboys/9ers fan during my impressionable youth

Classy guy. He has been doing a lot of charity work over the years and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

Class act.....Well Done Warrick....

Only blemish on his life time list of acomplishments is he wasnt a Cleveland Brown....and we would have enjoyed having him...

Legend
Legend
This is the kind of guy that should be mentoring other young players coming into the league..

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I'm always supportive of people reaching their goals in terms of education. In the case of Vince Young he might need that degree more than most since his football career appears to have gone off the tracks.

No offense to Vince but his situation is a perfect example of why graduating is so important for players.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
I guess that means he wasn't as dumb as the Wonderlic test suggested he was.

Although I've read that he's also completely broke now.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I guess that means he wasn't as dumb as the Wonderlic test suggested he was.

I wouldn't go that far. If you notice, the article doesn't say what the degree is, and simply having a degree doesn't mean you're bright, or even not stupid (not by a long shot).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
That's true. And being that the University of Texas is quite prestigious, I'm sure he got plenty of "help" along the way.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Isn't a MBA a masters of business administration? I guess we'll see how he can apply his knowledge to real world concepts now.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Isn't a MBA a masters of business administration? I guess we'll see how he can apply his knowledge to real world concepts now.

Dunn established the Homes for the Holidays (HFTH) program in 1997, and started Warrick Dunn Charities (WDC) in 2002 as a way to grow programs and services. The HFTH program rewards single-parent families for reaching first-time homeownership. HFTH recipient families are chosen through a partnership with Habitat for Humanity affiliates and WDC with complete home furnishings and down-payment assistance. As of July 2012, HFTH has assisted over 115 single parents and over 300 dependents in Atlanta, Baton Rouge, Tampa and Tallahassee. By providing families with a positive home environment, WDC believes that children can thrive educationally, socially and economically.
Dunn's achievements have been recognized over the years. He received a Giant Steps Award in civic leadership from former President Bill Clinton for his program. In 2005, Dunn was presented with the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award; named after the Chicago Bears running back who died in 1999, the award is the only NFL award that recognizes a player for his community service as well as for his excellence on the field. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Dunn challenged all NFL players, except for those who play for the New Orleans Saints, to donate at least $5,000 to the effort. The effort received over $5 million in contributions.
In 2007, Dunn, along with Andre Agassi, Muhammad Ali, Lance Armstrong, Jeff Gordon, Mia Hamm, Tony Hawk, Andrea Jaeger, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Mario Lemieux, Alonzo Mourning and Cal Ripken, Jr., founded Athletes for Hope, a charitable organization that helps professional athletes, sports industry professionals and fans get involved in charitable causes.[4] For his exceptional involvement on and off the field, Dunn was awarded with the 2009 Bart Starr Award. He also received a Jefferson Award for Outstanding Athlete in Service and Philanthropy in 2011.
In July 2012, WDC launched Betty’s Hope. Named after Dunn’s mother, Betty Smothers, the mobile children’s bereavement program works to empower youth as they manage their grief in a responsive environment to heal and enhance their quality of life. Based in Baton Rouge, Betty’s Hope creates safe environments for support that are relevant, responsive and fun, through a mobile programming module that offers peer-group based grief support, community advocacy and awareness, parent/caregiver support, education and resources, and community support and training.

All of the above was accomplished by Dunn before he earned his MBA. Along with surviving the killing of his mother, Betty, a police officer, in the line of duty and essentially raising his younger siblings. No offense intended but that's more than concepts about the real world. That's overcoming the real world.

Legend
Legend
I have a ton of respect for what Dunn has accomplished. He has worked hard to help struggling families, and to help children affected by violence. He deserves a lot of credit for his hard, and continuing, work.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Warrick Dunn earns his MBA

Link Copied to Clipboard