Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I finally got a computer repair scam call today! This guy with an Indian or Middle East type accent called be today from "Microsoft", and was calling because he heard that I was having problems with my computer.

I said, "Gee, I didn't call you, but maybe my wife did. Thank goodness you did though because I have been having problems with my computer, especially when I try to do my online banking."

I then asked him if I would need my credit card. He said that would be good, so I asked him to hold on while I "went to get it".

I then got back on the phone and again mentioned how I'd had trouble with my banking online. I said "I tried to transfer a couple thousand dollars the other day, and had problems. I really need to get this money transferred, do you think you could do it for me if I give you my ID and password?"

He said that he would be happy to do it. He was probably just about peeing himself with excitement by now.

Then I said, "I bet you would. Just how stupid do you really think I am?"

He hung up. I just can't believe it.

I love these spoofed numbers though. This one came from a 645 area code, which doesn't even exist in the US. I also get calls from companies offering to lower my gas bill, or the interest rate on my credit cards. Some of those numbers are spoofed as well. I try to call them back just to mess with them, but the number on the caller ID is not a working number.

Anyway ... just a warning to pass along to anyone who might be more vulnerable to these kind of scams.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I've had similar things happen. It's fun to string them along.

When I do it I like to invent more and more guilt trips just to see how they handle it.

I remember one time I had someone trying to pull some 'send my brother in Iraq a PS3 for him and his unit and the Army will reimburse you'. I kept stringing this woman on saying things like 'Well, the money is supposed to be for my heart medicine. I don't *need* it, but if I don't have it just in case, and something happens, I'm screwed. But I do want to help the troops'.

Most of them didn't hesitate. When they did it was worth the waste of time.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've posted about the times I've been called about home security systems. They were immediately after big headline news of shootings explosions and such.

I have never received any at any other time.

We get the calls that will only leave a message. If you pick it up there's no one there.

The very BEST call I got was from a lawn treatment company. it was way back when everyone was advised to not even use the word "yes" while responding. We would always politely say, "We don't take phone solicitations, if you want to you can send us something in the mail"

Well when I said this to the lawn guy he replied, "How about I send it by camel!!" He hung up before I could tell him that was pretty hilarious. I called the number back, because I figured they would want to know this guy was doing a bad job and I explained it was all cool and that I really thought his reply was pretty funny but maybe they need to give him a break or a raise because he seemed a little stressed.

Bottom line. I got free lawn care that summer!

Legend
Legend
The problem, older folks can get roped in on this stuff.. I don't worry about me cause I'll catch them, but my Mom in Law has a puter and does her banking stuff online. She's pretty savvy but I can see that at 80, there may come a time.

I sure wish there was a way to stop these guys.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
When I got a call like this a couple weeks ago, I went into my "be very nice but continually interrupt the other person" mode. It is extremely annoying (which is a feat for me, since I'm pretty annoying to begin with).

As soon as the lady would start talking, I'd say "give me your phone number so I can check this out and maybe have the FBI call you to make sure this is legit." Then there'd be silence, she'd start talking again, and I'm immediately interrupt her with the same thing.

Eventually, she hung up on me.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My favorite is trying to turn the tables and getting them to buy something.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I do a pretty great fake German accent. I've used that several times.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
HAHAHA!

I speak Spanish. I'll have to try that next time. Either that or talk like Tony Montana.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I also like to pretend I can't hear them, and I talk really really loudly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just a couple of months ago my 93 year old grandmother got one of those "This is your oldest grandson i am in jail and need money for bail please don't tell Mom and Dad" phone calls, thankfully she realized it was a scam and hung up on them.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I kept one on the phone for 20 minutes once pretending to follow their instructions. Then hung up

Joe Thomas #73
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Just a couple of months ago my 93 year old grandmother got one of those "This is your oldest grandson i am in jail and need money for bail please don't tell Mom and Dad" phone calls, thankfully she realized it was a scam and hung up on them.

Ya never know, being old school like that she just mighta thought, 'whatever he did he probably deserves it so he can just sit there till he learns his lesson!'

Way back in the late '90's before the do not call list I was painting for a lady and she got a call when I was standing in the kitchen, she just told them that 'she' wasn't there even though they were asking for her.

So that's what I started doing!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
<-- No home phone.

A couple years ago we got the Comcast triple play which included a home phone. After about 2 weeks the calls started. Right around week 3 I unplugged all the phones in the house. Month 2 we canceled the phone all together. Now we have dish for TV and Comcast only for broadband.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I have an 80 year old mother, and I don't always keep my cell phone by my side at home. I pay $30/year for VOIP through Net Talk for my home phone.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
OK, cool. I guess. I wasnt bashing you or anyone that has one, just sharing my personal experience.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
It's cool. I didn't take it that way. I just want my mother to have every chance to be able to reach me if she needs to.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I also like to pretend I can't hear them, and I talk really really loudly.

I've also talked real quietly and like I'm senile until they hang up.

I still like that episode of Seinfeld when he said he's very interested but busy and could he call them back.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
JC

I got an email from someone claiming to be in the UK with an Sacramento, CA address saying I won the lottery in the UK in British pounds. They need my info so they can give me a ATM card (Pound currency). I been anonymously selected out of 9 million people across multiple countries.

I also love when they look at my name in the phone book, call me and totally butcher my name, lol.

[Linked Image from i442.photobucket.com]
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Pffffffffffffff I have won billions and billions by now. I don't even bother answering them anymore, because I feel that someone else should have a chance.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You are probably "That Guy" that puts cigarette loads in smokes just to hand out to the bums, huh? LOL

You seem to have been planing for this for a really long time Ytown. LOL

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I am not "That Guy". He is a completely different poster.

Actually, I have planned this a little in the back of my mind. I hate scammers, and if I can disrupt their day, take up some of their time, and maybe stop them from making one or 2 calls that might take advantage of someone, then I will do so.

I never gave cigarettes to a bum, but there was this guy who used to sit in front of the old WalMart in Warren with a sign saying "will work for food". I stopped the one day, and he was really begging for money. I offered to go into WalMart and buy him some food necessities if he would just tell me what he needed, and he told me basically to stick it. He moved around the area a lot, and he must have had a decent enough business going that he managed to stay in business. He probably figured that people would be more willing to give him money if they thought that he was willing to work for it, and that he was going to use it for food. I knw your comment was a joke ..... but it just brought back that memory.

A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

I've played with the scammers...........had a lot of fun, really.

But, my 90 yr. old grandma almost fell for a scam. Luckily, she didn't have her bank account numbers handy, as that's what the caller was asking for. It's sad what scammers do......to anyone, but especially to the elderly.

Ticks me off really.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Yeah, I wish there was a way to lock down a checking and savings account for an older person so that they have to have something in writing, with the person's signature, before someone else can withdraw money. If the person "giving" the money had to actually sign, and send back a signed form that the company would need to withdraw money, at least there would be some sort of paper trail, and an address to follow.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I remember back in the late "70's I took a week-end job in a motel room that was set-up with about 20 phones. You called numbers from a list and tried to sell holiday books for like $20 - $25.00 each. This was not a scam cause they really did get the book with coupons in them. I was selling pretty well and even got one older lady to buy two because she liked my voice. I went home for supper break and while I was eating I read the "book". Turns out most of the places that said you could save 20% - 40%, never heard of the book or said that only applied if you bought stuff over a certain amount. I went back & asked the people that were selling it if they knew that most of the companies would not honor this book and the guy told me to just keep selling & keep my mouth shut. Needless to say, I went back through my list & called as many people that I could that bought these books and told them to save their money, I'm just glad this was back in the day when this co. would have to wait for the people's check to come in the mail. Then I told them I was going out for a break and I never went back. I've never liked people who try to sale stuff over the phone since.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
When I get these calls, which is pretty infrequent, I usually take the call into really inappropriate waters. The last time, I was telling him how much pleasure I was getting from my computer, pressing just the right buttons....and now I am taking my shirt off...nice and slow......

What are you wearing.....

And that is usually when they hang up...

Its hilarious.

Another time I kept on acting like I couldn't understand them...making them repeat themselves a hand-full of times...then they get frustrated and hang-up.

My goal is to make these people dread dialing this number. Scammers and solicitors alike.

One time I got one of those political recordings and the lady used here name and where she was from in the recording....so I did a little research on the internet and called her at her house.....I am pretty sure it really disturbed her.....I waited until later and kind of laced into her about how those recording calls are completely inconsiderate and frankly, quite lazy. Then I pointed out that the internet gave me her phone number and home address....totally freaked her out...

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah, I wish there was a way to lock down a checking and savings account for an older person so that they have to have something in writing, with the person's signature, before someone else can withdraw money. If the person "giving" the money had to actually sign, and send back a signed form that the company would need to withdraw money, at least there would be some sort of paper trail, and an address to follow.

really.. says joe senior citzen...

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I never gave cigarettes to a bum, but there was this guy who used to sit in front of the old WalMart in Warren with a sign saying "will work for food". I stopped the one day, and he was really begging for money. I offered to go into WalMart and buy him some food necessities if he would just tell me what he needed, and he told me basically to stick it.

There is a longer version, but due to language it cannot be posted.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Well .... you're right, of course ....... but there should be some way to help protect people. I don't know what the answer is. I don't worry about it with my Mom because she would hang up on someone the first second they asked for money over the phone. She also watches her checking account monthly, and makes sure that everything is in perfect balance.

I guess that some people are just going to be susceptible to scam artists no matter what ..... but I just hate seeing someone go through the pain of losing everything they have just because some scumbag comes and preys upon their good nature, and desire to help others ...... or preys upon their fears. (of technology, or other factors) I suppose that this stuff has gone on for a very long time ... however it seems to be getting worse and worse.

I do wish that the phone company could eliminate spoofed calls ...... or offer a program that verifies the number calling as a valid number. Kind of like spam control for the telephone. The number I was "called from" doesn't exist ..... and in fact, the area code they "called from" doesn't even exist. That would seem to me to be a fairly easy service to implement. If the call comes with an ID that is invalid, it never even gets through to the phone. That would be a huge service for people.

How much of an inconvenience would it be for someone to call a number and get a message that states: "Please hold while your telephone number is verified"? If it comes back as a spoofed number, then it doesn't even get through. If it is verified, then the message says "Thank you, please wait while your call is connected".

Hell, I'd pay for that service myself, and I consider myself less likely than almost anyone on the face of this Earth to fall victim to scams ..... because I don't give out information to anyone over the phone. I won't even answer polls, simply saying that I don't give out any personal information to anyone over the phone. They keep calling, and keep getting the same response. Same thing for charities. I donate anonymously to those I choose to support, and I never mail stuff back in the pre paid envelopes. I also use money orders, just because I don't want them them getting my name and address from a check, and wasting my donation trying to get more money out of me. I send what I can afford, and that's it.

Anyway, lotta babbling, some rambling, a few ideas that I think could work, and some ranting. I worked a lot into this post!

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

But there was this guy who used to sit in front of the old WalMart in Warren with a sign saying "will work for food". I stopped the one day, and he was really begging for money. I offered to go into WalMart and buy him some food necessities if he would just tell me what he needed, and he told me basically to stick it.

Done that for years and years.

A third are grateful. A third begrudgingly accept. A third look at you like you're an ass.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Hello, I call for you today from the Microsoft Company

Link Copied to Clipboard