Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

I might say that Greco is one of the only positive things Shurmur did for this franchise. I can't think of too many more positives.

But that's not what pblack is saying. He says Heckert has final say on everything, including a guard only Shurmur worked with. It's not a Heckert guy...wait, what?

when you gut a roster like nutcase did the only people left are what? just that nutcase made sure his draftpicks had the playing time no matter what. talent or earning the position did not matter.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I might say that Greco is one of the only positive things Shurmur did for this franchise. I can't think of too many more positives.

But that's not what pblack is saying. He says Heckert has final say on everything, including a guard only Shurmur worked with. It's not a Heckert guy...wait, what?

when you gut a roster like nutcase did the only people left are what? just that nutcase made sure his draftpicks had the playing time no matter what. talent or earning the position did not matter.

Yeah, I'd prefer most of the talent before Heckert came here.

Yikes...

They (not just Heckert) gutted a roster of past their prime jets and over jealous special teamers. If you want that, fine. Not me. I'll take the talent and approached Heckert developed over the past three years.

Also, I'll take the FA signings of this current regime. I think they did a good job, but like any defensive/offensive change there are unknowns.

Finally, let me get your take on this....which is better? A seventh rounder that is cut in year two or an UDFA taken over the 7th rounder considered to be a possible starter in year two?....both signed by Heckert.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 05/21/13 07:23 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
He battled.

Legend
Legend
He battled his guts out.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Gawd it sucks that I'm ageeing to this. First off, I believe that Greco was a conditional pick from the Rams that we never had to pay up for him bc he never started a game in 2011.

I actually think we kinda fleeced the Rams. Greco can play multiple spots albeit he aint a Pro Bowler.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Exaggerated Shurmy's contributions and success at the same time. Thanks to Hagg for the real work he did and I wish him luck. This is agood time to move on for him and for us. Our shopping continues apparently.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Thanks to Hagg for the real work he did and I wish him luck. This is agood time to move on for him and for us. Our shopping continues apparently.

I for one, am happy the FO is still searching.

Better than drafting your guys and ONLY running with them.

We might get a hidden gem. Shows the coaching staff has a plan, and are gonna keep going till they get what they want.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Big men that can run, little men that can hit... wasn't that what Horton said,, perhaps they don't feel he can hit? At least not as well as others on the roster.

If that's what they think, then it's good they let him go now, he's got time to hook up with another team.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
He couldn't hit...

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
j/c

I don't know why this is even being debated.

HE GOT BENCHED IN FAVOR OF USAMA YOUNG! That's like being a basketball player and getting benched in favor of me.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

GUT a roster? Gut the roster of WHAT exactly? The oldest and slowest players in team HISTORY? When Heckert arrived we had NOTHING. Well, we had ONE thing. Joe Thomas. Otherwise this roster was in DIRE shape. We were coming off the worst draft in decades and were one of the oldest teams in the league. We had very little cap room to work with. In three years time, he turned us into one of the youngest teams in the league with huge amounts of cap space. He tied up Joe Thomas long term. He drafted linemen in every draft on both sides of the ball, something Browns fans had been carping about for DECADES. He didn't spend like a nutcase on washed up free agents. He rebuilt the entire scouting department. And ended years of horrible drafts. Sure, he made mistakes. Every GM does. Oªzy isn't infallible. However, Tom Heckert was the best GM this team has had in several decades. Since LONG before the move. He was the antithesis of a nutcase.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
see above

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Interesting.... I wonder what he did wrong?
It seems awfully premature to release a player based on performance... unless he is just REALLY terrible compared to the others.

Didn't get past your post as it was pretty much exactly what I was thinking after reading the Thread's opening post.

He looked out of place as a starter early last year...but when he got some reps at the end of the season he looked liked a different player.

So instantly I'm thinking he must failed some drug test or something - I believe Strike One is not announced and there is no suspension??? At least with old CBA.

But it is very unusual to not let him compete for the roster spot n then cut him on TURK day if his play wasn't what we want.

To me this had to do with one or a combo of the following:
He came into OTA's completely OUT OF SHAPE.
He failed a drug test n the team was notified. Bubble guys don't get 2nd chances.
We have a good repoire with his AGENT n as a favor is letting him hook up with another team as its easier to get a job on a 80+ man roster n win a spot on the 53???
This is his final contract year n his Agent was making some dumb demands for a new contract and we said - Goodbye!

JMHO but very unusual timing at a position we are not OVER LOADED on as the Press release sort of suggests.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
what I'm reading is that Gipson is the front runner and Bademosi a swing fs/cb

With Slaughter in the mix a numbers game as previously mentioned.

Notice that X Rhodes is not being pursued!

FO seems to really like Gipson

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

what I'm reading is that Gipson is the front runner and Bademosi a swing fs/cb

With Slaughter in the mix a numbers game as previously mentioned.

Notice that X Rhodes is not being pursued!

FO seems to really like Gipson

I'm curious which S in the mix would backp Ward.

In a Horton defense (whatever that may mean) is the FS v SS interchangeable-enough where a player like Bademosi is viewed as the backup SS and not just a swing CB/S...or can Slaughter simply play as a SS?

Perhaps Slaughter backs up Gipson...Bademosi effectively backs up all the DBs including Ward...and Skrine plays a little FS in a pinch/scheme?

There are a ton of DBs currently on the roster that I've never even heard of...could we go with Ward, Bademosi, Gipson, Slaughter with a little Skrine in the mix? Seems reasonable to me.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Hagg no business being on the field last year much less starting.
That just goes to show you the coaches had no clue as far as putting the best players on the field and it goes to show last years front office had no intent to win.

O
Legend
Legend
O
They wanted to lose... that's gotta be it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That just goes to show you the coaches had no clue as far as putting the best players on the field and it goes to show last years front office had no intent to win.

If they had no clue as far as putting the best players on the field, how would they know how to properly sabotage things to fulfill their intent to not win?

Quote:

and it goes to show last years front office had no intent to win.

So, you're saying then that they were successful.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Just ignore that crap, bro. It's as stupid as the crap mac posts. Fueled by hate w/no facts to support it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hagg no business being on the field last year much less starting.

I definitely agree with the first sentence , in that Hagg really struggled on the field last year. He was awful starting the year. Unfortunately, Young was just as bad. Who do you think that coaches should have put on the field at FS? Gipson? They tried him till he got hurt. Those were our 3 FS candidates last year. They looked at Bademosi (who was my choice to get work at FS) as a CB last year. We really didn't have much in the way of options, and it's hard to just manufacture guys at FS. It really has become a position that has become devalued in many college programs because of so many teams facing so many spread offenses, and using an extra CB instead of a traditional FS as their base.

Anyway, who would you have put in at FS last year?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Eric Hagg to be released

Link Copied to Clipboard