Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
M
Is there any doubt who the greatest coach is or was? Paul Brown.

Let's show our support and right the ship. Paul is currently in 6th place. WHAT A JOKE!!!! No other coach did as much for the NFL or for football than Paul Brown did.

LET'S GO BROWNIES!!!!!

Here is the link to take you to the survey.

ESPN Ballot for Greatest NFL coach

Legend
Legend
My vote has been counted.

I find it ridiculous that the only HC with 7 championships is ranked 6th.... behind someone like Brian Billick?

Dawgs... this must NOT be allowed to continue!

Get yer tails over there.... and set things right!

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Brown's now up there in good company. Billick dropped way down to only 3% of the vote.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
My top 5:

1. Lombardi
2. Brown
3. Belichick
4. Halas
5. Knoll

Hard to leave out Landry or Walsh, but these guys were all amazing in their own era. What Belichick has done in this era of the cap and free agency and the way the game has evolved, I can't give him enough credit for keeping that thing going.

Legend
Legend
I also voted for Bud Grant....great coach who couldn't win the big one. Marv Levy should also get some love along those lines, but I don't think his overall winning pct. was up there.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I want to know why Blanton Collier isn't on the list.

No man ever had a harder task of taking over for an "irreplaceable" legend than he did.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
My feelings also and to be as successfull !! Voted for Paul Brown only because majority of all other succeeding successfull coaches had a direct or indirect tie or influence from PB's methods and philosophies. To bad he couldn't relax his stronghold before ole Artie cut him. Another travesty was NFL owners and coaches at his time dislike of him for beating their teams so often and organization to detail. Read the book PB;Paul Brown and see how Weeb Eubank, took all PB's info on player draft with him when became their HC. It's amazing how many ex-Browns players and coaching staff from the master's days with Browns became HC and /or other top position with other teams.

Last edited by Passionate Dawg; 05/29/13 05:08 PM.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Other coaches to replace legend comes to mind would be Mike Ditka taking over for Papa Bear Halas,some success with Bears but not elsewhere though and Bart Starr replacing Lombardi,no success. Both played for respective coaches replaced.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Meant to say when Ewubank became Colts HC.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

My vote has been counted.

I find it ridiculous that the only HC with 7 championships is ranked 6th.... behind someone like Brian Billick?

Dawgs... this must NOT be allowed to continue!

Get yer tails over there.... and set things right!

It's a fan vote. Why the surprise? All one has to do is look at any other election to see that dumb people usually rule the elections.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
If Brian Billick, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, and Sean Payton are on this list, then Blanton Collier should be too. He was 76-32-2 (.679) in 8 seasons as HC for the Browns, with one championship.

Legend
Legend
the fact that Paul Brown is not number one just proves that folks over 50 spend far less time on the internet than the young kids do.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Schottenheimer's impressive coaching tree

Critics will point out that Marty Schottenheimer never won a Super Bowl. They will make fun of the conservative style of "Martyball."

What tends to get lost is the fact that Schottenheimer consistently produced winning teams, as well as coaches who went on to win, too. In celebrating the 100th anniversary of Vince Lombardi's birth with the "Greatest Coaches in NFL History" series, ESPN is documenting the lineage of the league's most influential coaching trees.

Schottenheimer's tree features 14 NFL head coaches including two former assistants -- Bill Cowher and Mike McCarthy -- who have gone on to win Super Bowls. His entire coaching tree can be viewed by clicking right here.

As a head coach, Schottenheimer went 44-27 in five seasons with the Browns. His .620 winning percentage ranks third in Browns NFL history, trailing only Paul Brown and Blanton Collier.

"Marty gets slighted because of his playoff record, but anybody who was around him will tell you he was an excellent coach," said ESPN analyst Herm Edwards, who served as an assistant under Schottenheimer in Kansas City. "He won a lot of games, which is a testament to his system, but he was always true to himself. I commend him for that, because it's hard to do."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/70822/schottenheimers-impressive-coaching-tree

The Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree is documented in the link below.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/coac...r-coaching-tree

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
The hard thing about Paul Brown and Sid Gillman is that they were so much smarter than their competition. But "head coach" is just so limiting, it should be expanded to greatest coach ever.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum ESPN Greatest Head Coach Survey

Link Copied to Clipboard