Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I really think that Danove Bess is going to be a huge part of this team, and not just on the field.

I know that Norv Turner talks about how coaches are the ones who teach young players ..... but I think that there are some things that can best be learned from another player. (like how to take care of your body, or how to prepare for a game, how to "learn to learn", and so on) A veteran like Bess can go a long way in setting an example for the younger players. I am glad we managed to trade for him ..... especially since he cost almost nothing.

Little finds veteran mentor in Bess
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...OBR+Newswire%29

Third-year wide receiver Greg Little has taken the time to learn from veteran wideout Davone Bess during the team’s organized team activity practices and meetings.

After leading the Cleveland Browns in receptions in each of the last two seasons, wide receiver Greg Little is focused on improving his game.

To that end, he is making a point of learning all he can from Davone Bess, the five-year veteran receiver the Browns acquired in a trade with the Miami Dolphins during the 2013 NFL Draft.

Bess has caught 321 passes for 3,447 yards and 12 touchdowns, and converted 130 third-down receptions -- second-most in the league since 2008 -- in those five years with the Dolphins.

“He’s a pro,” Little said. “He’s one of those guys that’s first-in, last-out, and that was good for him to come into our room and bring that with him. I think he compliments our room well, and what he’s able to do inside and on third downs, he’s proven he can be a playmaker.

“Just talking with him and seeing how he runs routes and what he’s thinking when he’s running routes is really what we’ve been talking about. He’s just added a little bit more to my game as well.”

Bess isn’t the only reason Little cites for making progress. He also said that he and fellow wide receiver Josh Gordon are benefitting from the competition they face from the defensive backs, particularly Joe Haden and T.J. Ward.

“We go at it pretty often, on and off the field,” Little said. “Oftentimes, it’s Joe and T.J. against me and Josh. It’s fun because you can see our team bonding more. We’re definitely all trying to push each other to get better, and that’s the most important thing. It makes practice that much more fun.”

During and after the meetings with Bess and competitions with the defensive backs, Little has focused on “fine-tuning the little things” in an effort to make himself a shiftier, more agile and explosive wide receiver within coordinator Norv Turner’s offense.

“Everything is downfield, and you get taught pretty quickly that you have to be well-conditioned to play fast and play at a high level,” Little said. “I just like the way Norv thinks. He calls more post and go routes than I’ve ever run before.

“We’re just going to come out and get better every day, and just try to build a foundation to go into training camp, start fast, and go into this latter part of the offseason injury-free.”

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is not about Weeden, but fans rightly point out how he regressed as the season went on. The exact opposite is true of Greg Little, he improved noticeably as last season went on. His improvement last season was without a veteran WR to provide mentorship. I liked what he was able to do then, now he has the additional benefit of proven veteran leadership. I'm looking for Bess' presence to do two things. 1) Perform at a high level on game day. 2) Teach the young receivers the little things that will take their games to a higher level.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Steal of the draft, IMO.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed.

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Wow I mean, how in the world was that trivial trade down of a few spots for a quality possession WR pulled off? Nevertheless, I like it. I like it a lot.

Rookie
Rookie
This FO has done ALOT this off season to improve this team and I like it so far.

Now grant it, it is only the off season and on paper, but the moves that the FO has made has me very happy and I am looking for big time improvement on the field this year.

We have all thought this before and have been disapointed, but this just has a different taste to it w/ bringing in of Chud, Norv and Ray, I hope that they finally got a coaching staff that will be here for the next 20 years.

Ya I know that the OC & DC could be HC soon for another Team, but the philosophy of an attacking style of offence and deffence are here and hopefuly that will stay with this FO.

I am looking forward to this season and look to see a much improved team on the feild in all areas.

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Cleveland Browns receiver Greg Little teams with quarterback Brandon Weeden for summer workouts

BEREA, Ohio – In his first public comments since a failed off-season drug test, Josh Gordon spoke Monday about accountability and the need to prove himself to the Browns organization and fan base.

Meanwhile, fellow teammate and receiver Greg Little let his actions and summer itinerary speak for him on those topics.

The third-year veteran traveled to Oklahoma earlier this month to spend three days working out and running routes with quarterback Brandon Weeden. It’s the latest example of a young receiver -- one who’s been a lighting rod for fan criticism -- demonstrating his maturity and commitment to the team.

“I worked with a big group of guys,” Weeden said. “Obviously, (Josh Cooper of Mustang, Okla.) was out there. But it was good. It was good Greg came down. We got three really hard days of work. I threw until I couldn’t throw anymore and he ran until he couldn’t run anymore, so we got a lot of work in.”

Little and other veterans will report for training camp Wednesday.

It's not uncommon for quarterbacks and receivers to train together in the offseason. But stipulations in the NFL collective bargaining agreement forbid such workouts at the team facility except for minicamps and OTAs. Little, who resides in Miami, was the only regular among the Browns receiving corps to make the trek to Edmond, Okla.

“I had guys from other teams and guys that are free agents and guys that are still in the league I threw with on a normal basis,” Weeden said of July 10-12 workouts. “But it was good to have Greg come in.”

Little, who clashed with fans on Twitter in September, cut down on his drops and moments of immaturity last season. Little said a meeting with NBA legend Alonzo Mourning during the bye week helped him sharpen his focus.

He finished with a team-high 53 catches, good for 647 yards and four touchdowns.

Cleveland fans might not appreciate Little celebrating the Miami Heat championship last month, but linebacker D’Qwell Jackson said seeing him in Oklahoma working with Weeden sends a message.

“That lets everyone in the building know that he is committed and he’s committed to having a better and more productive season,” Jackson said in a phone interview. “That’s the first step. Now it’s about continuing to grow from that gesture.”

Weeden has used such workouts to hone his mechanics, particularly his footwork. Coach Rob Chudzinski cited improvements in those areas, and has seen a quicker pass release because of them.

Little and Weeden hope three days spent sweating under an Oklahoma sun produce results in September.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/07/cleveland_browns_receiver_greg_1.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have questioned Weeden's work ethic and spoke about how I never heard about him working out on his own time. This looks to be proof that he has indeed been working out. I was wrong. My apologies.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I have questioned Weeden's work ethic and spoke about how I never heard about him working out on his own time. This looks to be proof that he has indeed been working out. I was wrong. My apologies.

well when you have to fight for your job things change.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Where is the news on David Nelson. The way I figure it, He would be first in for Gordon during his 2 game suspension. Well, anyway, it would be easiest to insert Nelson into Gordon's spot and not make other changes.
Because Nelson is taller, than Bess, Norwood, Benjamin, and Cooper. Some players play the role of blocking, boxing out in space and others scoot in between gaps to get downfield. Nelson seems to be the similar size to Gordon and Little, and so the natural fit.

I wish we were told that Weeden and Nelson are getting more reps in an effort to find some chemistry for Gordon's absence.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
still hurt. he is day to day.

M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

I didn't like the Bess deal and subsequent extension at first, but after reading some Miami articles, listening to his story on the radio, and reading him and Weeden being the first guys to Berea, I have changed my tune. This Little/Bess article adds to it.

I'm excited to see him on the field in the slot and his impact with the WR corp, particularly Gordon. With the additions of Bess and Nelson, coupled with our young talent, this unit could end up being one of our more solid groups. A benefit to Weeden, no doubt.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Steal of the draft, IMO.

As was Joe J's acquisition in 06. Both no doubt were/are true professionals.

Who was the basketball player who talked to Little last year and told Little to "absolutely drop" the media stuff(twitter/facebook,etc). Garnett rings a bell? Little came out and said it had a huge impact on him.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Alanzo Mourning

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Alanzo Mourning

Gotcha.Yep.............that rings a bell.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Steal of the draft, IMO.

As was Joe J's acquisition in 06. Both no doubt were/are true professionals.

Who was the basketball player who talked to Little last year and told Little to "absolutely drop" the media stuff(twitter/facebook,etc). Garnett rings a bell? Little came out and said it had a huge impact on him.

Little, who clashed with fans on Twitter in September, cut down on his drops and moments of immaturity last season. Little said a meeting with NBA legend Alonzo Mourning during the bye week helped him sharpen his focus.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Few kids come into the NFL knowing what it takes to make it in the NFL. College they relied on being the more physically talented player. It is why that coach/player relationship is so important.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If I were the Browns, I would bring in Alonzo Mourning to speak to the rookies and 2nd year players on an annual basis. He really seems to have made a huge, positive on Little, and I bet that he would do others players coming into the league a world of good as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Makes more sense than Jim Brown. I mean, I'm old enough to remember JB, but these young guys probably see him more as a deranged grandpa you have to endure. The league and players have changed a lot in the last 50 years.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Jim Brown can still have his role on the team as well. (whatever it is) Morning has shown an ability to connect with at least 1 member of this team in a big way, and I am a big fan of continuing success until it stops being successful.

Maybe Mourning could reach Gordon, and some of the other problem children on the team. Can't hurt.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Jim Brown still commands respect w/the younger players. He is generally regarded as either the greatest--or one of the greatest---players in the history of the game. That earns respect in a locker room.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I'm old enough to remember JB, but these young guys probably see him more as a deranged grandpa you have to endure.

LOL.

I can just hear Jim Brown giving a speech, Grampa Simpson-style, to today's young players ...

In my day, we didn't have real footba×ls. We played with live piglets. There were no facemasks and no lines on the field. I remember the year I rushed for One Thousand - Five Hundred - Dickety Two yards ... we had to say "Dickety" because the Kaiser stole the word "Twenty" ... now, where was I - oh yes - so I tied a big yellow onion on my belt, which was the style at the time, and I ..."

Legend
Legend

... and I'm laughing at the Grampa Simpson narrative... not the mocking of JB.

E
Legend
Legend
E
They put Nelson on the PUP list. Along with Faulk (OL).

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wasn't really mocking JB, but Divot's description of him being perceived as a "deranged grandpa" brought old Abe to mind. So if anyone's offended, blame Divot.

Last edited by Dave; 07/23/13 10:29 AM.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Man, Little does and says all the right things. I can't help but feel good about this kid going into this year. He played much better down the stretch, stopped dropping passes down the stretch and has been working hard all off season.

As much as we look to Gordon for a breakout year. I think it could be Little's time.

D
Legend
Legend
D
No doubt and OMG, that kid lays out some very brutal blocking. No shock to me AT ALL if Little shines like a diamond this year. If he continues where he left off around middle/late stretch of last season, and doesn't improve anymore, i'd still be beyond happy.

Turner can work him anywhere on the field too IMO. Middle, flats and downfield attacking is all something that I think Little is beyond capable of making a name for himself.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I think it could be Little's time

I hope so. In fact, it may be more needed than many think if Jordan cannot handle the TE role in Norv's offense. Some of those areas/routes may end up falling into Little's lap (sort of like how NO used Colston his first couple of seasons).

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bess was a good solid pick up for us. Five seasons, he's made 61, 51, 79, 76, and 54 receptions. Good solid numbers. He'll definitely start at the slot. We could have used him last year for sure. I fully expect him to keep up those numbers and catch between 50 to 70 balls with perhaps 550-750 yards. Give or take. guys like Bess make a team much better. They aren't flashy, they just get the job done. Wise move trading for this guy. I suspect Bess is going to be one of Weedens best friends on Sundays.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Logos? We don't need no stinking logos.

I hear you man. I hope they leave the helmet alone.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

they do have a gentlemen's agreement on the helmet. not sure I trust Haslam anymore to keep such agreements (w/ the whole Pilot fiasco).

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

they do have a gentlemen's agreement on the helmet. not sure I trust Haslam anymore to keep such agreements (w/ the whole Pilot fiasco).

Is the helmet over 30? If so, there may be a problem ...

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Little Finds Veteran Mentor in Bess

Link Copied to Clipboard