Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#794606 06/22/13 02:25 PM
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Here's a search engine I've been using for a while that doesn't track user demographics, therefore won't be badgered by the gubment with demands for personal info. (If you mess with the settings, it will track, but by default it is totally anonymous.) It doesn't have some of the detailed search features of Google, but it seems to do a decent job. Another admirable feature is that the search results aren't overloaded with sales pitches.

https://duckduckgo.com/

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Thank you. It has an add-on for Firefox so my regular search bar is still useful.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Does that mean I could stop getting ads for prostate supplements and "one weird trick" to increase my testosterone, lower my blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce my car insurance? And who are the freaks that appear in these ads?

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Actually, yes. There's no tracking of your email or IP address.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for this...I'm going to try it with safari.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
There's an extension for Chrome and I'm going to try it out. Thanks for the heads up.

If you use chrome there is an extension called click and clean which I found super useful.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How do I know you're not just an NSA agent trying to make you're job easier!?!?!?

Thanks though I'll use it when I do my "research".

D
Legend
Legend
D
In addition to the search engine, this program will run constantly on your machine and will block many incoming request (mostly TCP) from sites. It really doesn't use much computer memory and it blocks quite a bit of requests/junk. I'd recommend it:

http://www.peerblock.com/

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

How do I know you're not just an NSA agent trying to make you're job easier!?!?!?

Thanks though I'll use it when I do my "research".

The NSA will just get your info from your ISP anyways. Why go though Google, Facebook, etc when all they need to do is look through the records that your ISP hands them? You are doing nothing to prevent from being tracked by the NSA by using different online services. The only real way is to go through encrypted services like Tor, but guess what! There is more! By doing this you are now being marked by the NSA to monitor and track further as they try to decrypt your data.

There is no escape unless you take yourself off the grid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Do ISP's track searches, emails, message board posts etc. and then store the data? I would think they would only have basic demographics in a database.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Of course they do. Lots of money to be made selling marketing information to various vendors/places. Facebook also sells user's info all the time.

I'm not sure how detailed of information they are allow to save (actual store somewhere) with respect to the law(s) - but surely they obtain more than demographics. Most places will track what page you were on previously, and perhaps the page you've went to next and all kinds of data.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
When we ran a commercial site I could see all kinds of individual site user data. Browser type and version, user screen size, OS, favorite deli meat, etc. We used Google Analytics. If you'd like to know more about the data that is received and how it's presented to ownership (me) check it out.

I'm sure Prp knows more about the tech stuff and the bearded men sites I peruse before and after posting here.

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I am an actual web and software programmer. Have been for five years now. Google Analytic provide useful information from users within your site. IE, how many times a certain part of your web site has been accessed. Other, and some would label as "more sensitive" data are captured within the actual programming language that is driving the web site.

It's quite easy to capture that sort of data. You'd be surprised what a few little lines of code can obtain. IP Addresses are one thing. We use screen size to determine what's the best resolution, as per out customer's usages, to layout websites and forms.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Facebook also sells user's info all the time.

Facebook is nothing but a data mining engine disguised as a social network. All it does is gather information on you.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Facebook also sells user's info all the time.

Facebook is nothing but a data mining engine disguised as a social network. All it does is gather information on you.

Hey! That's just not true. Facebook is a good way to keep up with your 'friends' and ex-girlfriends you thought you forget about 20 years ago.

"Boy, everybody looks so old now (sighs)!"

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Of course they do. Lots of money to be made selling marketing information to various vendors/places. Facebook also sells user's info all the time.

I'm not sure how detailed of information they are allow to save (actual store somewhere) with respect to the law(s) - but surely they obtain more than demographics. Most places will track what page you were on previously, and perhaps the page you've went to next and all kinds of data.

Well we are talking about the NSA who had secret agreements with websites to keep our data.

Personally, PRISM and ISPs keeping our information for the NSA is actually the least scariest thing out of this whole mess. The bigger issue is that if we try to find a way around the system, they label us basically as terrorists.. actually foreign terrorist. If you use encryption to beat the system, you might actually be making a target of yourself.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/...eeps-your-data/

Using online anonymity services such as Tor or sending encrypted e-mail and instant messages are grounds for US-based communications to be retained by the National Security Agency even when they're collected inadvertently, according to a secret government document published Thursday.

The document, titled Minimization Procedures Used by the National Security Agency in Connection with Acquisitions of Foreign Intelligence, is the latest bombshell leak to be dropped by UK-based newspaper The Guardian. It and a second, top-secret document detail the circumstances in which data collected on US persons under foreign intelligence authority must be destroyed or can be retained. The memos outline procedures NSA analysts must follow to ensure they stay within the mandate of minimizing data collected on US citizens and residents.

While the documents make clear that data collection and interception must cease immediately once it's determined a target is within the US, they still provide analysts with a fair amount of leeway. And that leeway seems to work to the disadvantage of people who take steps to protect their Internet communications from prying eyes. For instance, a person whose physical location is unknown—which more often than not is the case when someone uses anonymity software from the Tor Project—"will not be treated as a United States person, unless such person can be positively identified as such, or the nature or circumstances of the person's communications give rise to a reasonable belief that such person is a United States person," the secret document stated.

And in the event that an intercepted communication is later deemed to be from a US person, the requirement to promptly destroy the material may be suspended in a variety of circumstances. Among the exceptions are "communications that are enciphered or reasonably believed to contain secret meaning, and sufficient duration may consist of any period of time during which encrypted material is subject to, or of use in, cryptanalysis."

Other conditions under which intercepted US communications may be retained include when it is "reasonably believed to contain evidence of a crime that has been, is being, or is about to be committed."

The document, dated July 28, 2009, bears the signature of US Attorney General Eric Holder.

Supporters of the recently exposed NSA surveillance program have frequently argued that it is narrowly tailored so that it doesn't track the communications of ordinary US citizens and residents. Rules requiring inadvertently collected US communications to be destroyed once the error is discovered would appear to be key in supporting that view. The exceptions to that requirement may give critics new ammunition. Tor is a staple of many human rights advocates who want to prevent repressive governments from tracking their location or intercepting and reading their e-mail and instant messages. Encrypted e-mail, while by no means easy to use, remains a core practice among lawyers, corporate executives, and privacy advocates.

It's hard to read the documents and not be struck by the irony that use of these services may subject people on US soil to a much higher likelihood that their communications will be retained by an agency that's supposed to focus on foreign targets.

Last edited by ~TuX~; 06/29/13 03:35 AM.

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
D
Legend
Legend
D
It really is a mess. Kind of like you said, you're damned if you - damned if you don't.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

It really is a mess. Kind of like you said, you're damned if you - damned if you don't.

Yeah. I'd prefer to lace all my communications with "keywords." Just have a bunch of "keyword" bombs placed throughout my emails and try to get their servers to explode with information overload. Of course, I may use encryption and send a few large files here and there for good measure. I think maybe the best thing we could do is just try to flood them with a bunch of useless information that gets tagged.

O
2nd String
2nd String
O
Another good one is Ixquick. I like it and use it all the time.

https://www.ixquick.com/

The World's most private search engine.

No PRISM. No Surveillance. No Government Back Doors. You Have our Word on it.
Giant US government Internet spying scandal revealed

The Washington Post and The Guardian have revealed a US government mass Internet surveillance program code-named "PRISM". They report that the NSA and the FBI have been tapping directly into the servers of nine US service providers, including Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Yahoo, YouTube, AOL and Skype, and began this surveillance program at least seven years ago. (clarifying slides)

These revelations are shaking up an international debate.

Ixquick has always been very outspoken when it comes to protecting people's Privacy and civil liberties. So it won't surprise you that we are a strong opponent of overreaching, unaccountable spy programs like PRISM. In the past, even government surveillance programs that were begun with good intentions have become tools for abuse, for example tracking civil rights and anti-war protesters.

Programs like PRISM undermine our Privacy, disrupt faith in governments, and are a danger to the free Internet.

Ixquick and its sister search engine StartPage have in their 14-year history never provided a single byte of user data to the US government, or any other government or agency. Not under PRISM, nor under any other program in the US, nor under any program anywhere in the world. We are not like Yahoo, Facebook, Google, Apple, Skype, or the other US companies who got caught up in the web of PRISM surveillance.

Here's how we are different:

Ixquick does not store any user data. We make this perfectly clear to everyone, including any governmental agencies. We do not record the IP addresses of our users and we don't use tracking cookies, so there is literally no data about you on our servers to access. Since we don't even know who our customers are, we can't share anything with Big Brother. In fact, we've never gotten even a single request from a governmental authority to supply user data in the fourteen years we've been in business.

Ixquick uses encryption (HTTPS) by default. Encryption prevents snooping. Your searches are encrypted, so others can't "tap" the Internet connection to snoop what you're searching for. This combination of not storing data together with using strong encryption for the connections is key in protecting your Privacy.

Our company is based in The Netherlands, Europe. US jurisdiction does not apply to us, at least not directly. Any request or demand from ANY government (including the US) to deliver user data, will be thoroughly checked by our lawyers, and we will not comply unless the law which actually applies to us would undeniably require it from us. And even in that hypothetical situation, we refer to our first point; we don't even have any user data to give. We will never cooperate with voluntary spying programs like PRISM.

Ixquick cannot be forced to start spying. Given the strong protection of the Right to Privacy in Europe, European governments cannot just start forcing service providers like us to implement a blanket spying program on their users. And if that ever changed, we would fight this to the end.

Privacy. It's not just our policy, it's our mission.

Sincerely,

Robert E.G. Beens
CEO Ixquick.com and StartPage.com

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Anonymous search engine

Link Copied to Clipboard