Print Thread
#797078 07/04/13 10:53 AM
S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
COE LAKE, WALLACE LAKE, BEYERS POND. My question is has anyone fished any of these? and if so do any of them present any good areas to fish for bass FROM THE SHORE......

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I fished lake Pymatuning once had a great time rented a boat for the day pretty cheap. I highly recommend it. lots of perch and some walleye

Joe Thomas #73
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I fished lake Pymatuning once had a great time rented a boat for the day pretty cheap. I highly recommend it. lots of perch and some walleye

Well if your going to non answer answer his question I'll follow suite. I've fished the Deschutes River, wading, for Steelhead and Coho.

To the original question. Nope. Good luck.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well at least Pymatuning is in ohio.

Joe Thomas #73
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Okay. I've fished the Maumee River for Walleye, Crappie, Channel Catfish, White Bass, and Pike. Though I've also caught Sheephead, Carp, Suckers, Bullhead, Blue Catfish, Sunfish, and Bluegill.
From boats, shore, and wading.

(I grew up a country block from Mary Jane Thurston State Park. I fished the Maumee A LOT as a kid.)

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Hey Slick,

It's me, 3rd_and_20 from the old clevelandbrowns.com board. (I tweaked/changed my screen name a bit for this board.)

Anyhow, i live right by the lake and a few fisherman (and fisherwomen) swear by using shrimp for bait - and that's **SPOILED** shrimp. I don't know if it works or not from personal experience but they say it's the best thing to catch fish with in Lake Erie.

Good luck!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

COE LAKE, WALLACE LAKE, BEYERS POND. My question is has anyone fished any of these? and if so do any of them present any good areas to fish for bass FROM THE SHORE......

slick...............for info on what's going on in any areas in Oh i generally check out this site. On the "Main Forum Index" click on "Regional Fishing Reports" and then the region your talking about. There's a gang of posts/info on what's happening and where.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/

Hope it helps, as there's "NO WAY" i'm giving directions to "My HoneyHoles".

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

slick...............for info on what's going on in any areas in Oh i generally check out this site. On the "Main Forum Index" click on "Regional Fishing Reports" and then the region your talking about. There's a gang of posts/info on what's happening and where.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/

Hope it helps, as there's "NO WAY" i'm giving directions to "My HoneyHoles".

Okay, wasn't sure of the area you were talking about. Here's the what's going on in "Northeast Ohio" posts...........

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Nope...Still do Bass tournaments but being from Northwest Ohio, I'm in Michigan and Indiana...Good Luck....

Going to a new lake some things remain the same, on any lake.

With us being in post spawn, fish are goinig to be scattered for a couple more weeks before settling into thier summer pattern, tossing a white small spinner bait normally gets thier attention pretty quick, or a green 4-5 inch worm sinko if you can get those, dont add any weight just a hook & a worm and work in back to you plaing with the retrive making the worm stop & dart is a good way to drive them crazy...Look to fish under docks, weed beds and any type of structure, layed down logs, rock piles ect. Best times now days are early or evening, with the sun being up will suppose to be up bass will start going to deeper cooler water during the day moving up to shore at night to feed. If after while your worm dosent get bitten, you can add a small bullet weight and retrieve it slowly on the bottom thru the weeds.

Good luck let us know how you do.

All Pro
All Pro
Takin' me back Slick! It's been a long time, but Wallace Lake was quite literally in my backyard; my yard dropped off down to the backside of the lake. Yes there are some nice largemouth bass in Wallace Lake and darn near everybody is fishing from shore, unless they're out on the ice. The lake is also stocked with put'n'take trout and there are some good sized channel catfish as well. Heck, a couple years ago a 40+ inch blue cat washed up on the beach there. Supposedly, it was a stray fish mixed in with a load of channel cats from Arkansas in decades past. The lake was a quarry for the World Famous Berea Sandstone and when the water level is low there are little stone walkways that go out quite a ways into the lake that you would be able to use to access previously hard to reach areas.

If it's bass you're after and shore fishing is a must you ought to consider throwin' on some old kicks and working the Rocky River. There really are some fantastic smallmouth there. The river forks at Cedar Point Rd and you can work off of that. Keep in mind the west branch has a lot of private property so it can be a little tricky. I would concentrate on the east branch or work toward the lake. Travel light and you can really cover some water, not to mention get away from the areas with instant access where 95% of the people are.

And if you're walkin' the river you might as well scout out some likely spots for steelhead fishing in the fall and winter. The Rocky River is gaining a reputation as a world class steelhead fishery. I'm tellin' ya' Slick that is where it's at! Fish over 28" and 10 lbs. are not uncommon. I use a fly rod out there now, but I used to spin fish for them quite a bit. Light line works the best. I like flourocarbon, but regular mono is fine too. However, I wouldn't use anything over 4 lb test. That'll provide some white knuckle fights when you're trying to keep that hard runnin' fish from getting ya' tangled in that fallen tree. I had a lot of luck with jointed rapalas; the J-9 and J-11 seemed to be the best sizes. Don't use any sinking lures or you'll be stuck ALL the time. A spawn sac with a strike indicator (that's technical talk for bobber) is probably the consensus as best setup. Once, you land that first fish rip her belly open and take out the roe. You can buy little pieces of mesh to make the sacs with, but if you go down to Pat Catan's you can get some material, like they'd make a wedding veil out of, and you can get a lot more for your money. So cut yourself a little piece of mesh and put some of that roe in there, then tie it up and throw it on a hook, set your strike indicator to depth and work that water. One hen will give you quite a bit of roe and it will keep in the fridge for a while. Also don't feel bad about ripping that fish open and using it. The fishery is supported by stocking; the natural reproduction rate is less than 2%. The fish spawn, but it's not good spawning habitat. Ohio trades channel catfish with Michigan for Little Manistee strain steelhead. Besides, you're going to eat the fish anyway and you might as well get the use out of its pieces parts. As far as the eating, my favorite is grilled with a red wine marinade.

Sorry for the tangent, but you know when you're talkin' fishin' one thing leads to another. For more coherent advice you should head on down to the Rodmaker's Shoppe on the corner of Prospect Rd. and Rt. 82. It's in the plaza behind Gil's or Tal's or whatever the hell it's called now, the place with the really good sandwiches that use the thick bread. Anyways the guys at Rodmaker's Shoppe are good folks and they'd be happy to jaw with you. Good fishing Slick!

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Takin' me back Slick! It's been a long time, but Wallace Lake was quite literally in my backyard; my yard dropped off down to the backside of the lake. Yes there are some nice largemouth bass in Wallace Lake and darn near everybody is fishing from shore, unless they're out on the ice. The lake is also stocked with put'n'take trout and there are some good sized channel catfish as well. Heck, a couple years ago a 40+ inch blue cat washed up on the beach there. Supposedly, it was a stray fish mixed in with a load of channel cats from Arkansas in decades past. The lake was a quarry for the World Famous Berea Sandstone and when the water level is low there are little stone walkways that go out quite a ways into the lake that you would be able to use to access previously hard to reach areas.

If it's bass you're after and shore fishing is a must you ought to consider throwin' on some old kicks and working the Rocky River. There really are some fantastic smallmouth there. The river forks at Cedar Point Rd and you can work off of that. Keep in mind the west branch has a lot of private property so it can be a little tricky. I would concentrate on the east branch or work toward the lake. Travel light and you can really cover some water, not to mention get away from the areas with instant access where 95% of the people are.

And if you're walkin' the river you might as well scout out some likely spots for steelhead fishing in the fall and winter. The Rocky River is gaining a reputation as a world class steelhead fishery. I'm tellin' ya' Slick that is where it's at! Fish over 28" and 10 lbs. are not uncommon. I use a fly rod out there now, but I used to spin fish for them quite a bit. Light line works the best. I like flourocarbon, but regular mono is fine too. However, I wouldn't use anything over 4 lb test. That'll provide some white knuckle fights when you're trying to keep that hard runnin' fish from getting ya' tangled in that fallen tree. I had a lot of luck with jointed rapalas; the J-9 and J-11 seemed to be the best sizes. Don't use any sinking lures or you'll be stuck ALL the time. A spawn sac with a strike indicator (that's technical talk for bobber) is probably the consensus as best setup. Once, you land that first fish rip her belly open and take out the roe. You can buy little pieces of mesh to make the sacs with, but if you go down to Pat Catan's you can get some material, like they'd make a wedding veil out of, and you can get a lot more for your money. So cut yourself a little piece of mesh and put some of that roe in there, then tie it up and throw it on a hook, set your strike indicator to depth and work that water. One hen will give you quite a bit of roe and it will keep in the fridge for a while. Also don't feel bad about ripping that fish open and using it. The fishery is supported by stocking; the natural reproduction rate is less than 2%. The fish spawn, but it's not good spawning habitat. Ohio trades channel catfish with Michigan for Little Manistee strain steelhead. Besides, you're going to eat the fish anyway and you might as well get the use out of its pieces parts. As far as the eating, my favorite is grilled with a red wine marinade.

Sorry for the tangent, but you know when you're talkin' fishin' one thing leads to another. For more coherent advice you should head on down to the Rodmaker's Shoppe on the corner of Prospect Rd. and Rt. 82. It's in the plaza behind Gil's or Tal's or whatever the hell it's called now, the place with the really good sandwiches that use the thick bread. Anyways the guys at Rodmaker's Shoppe are good folks and they'd be happy to jaw with you. Good fishing Slick!

Thank you man! with the way work has been its been a while since i could do some good fishing. Just looking to catch some bass fishing from the shore....Dicks sportings goods was having a clearance...got me a 120.00 baitcatser for 56 bucks. Honestly i have never used one though...have always used spinning rods or just closed face rods.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Baitcasters can be temperamental beasts I've found. I've relegated my baitcasting reel to my back trolling and side plaining rig. No casting, just letting out line. I strictly use spinning rods for all my cast fishing. Except fly. Less 'birdnest' tangles.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Hey man. You weren't talking to me, and I am not all that much in to fishing. I was a hunter when I was active in the field.....but that was a heck of a reply!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Baitcasters can be temperamental beasts I've found. I've relegated my baitcasting reel to my back trolling and side plaining rig. No casting, just letting out line. I strictly use spinning rods for all my cast fishing. Except fly. Less 'birdnest' tangles.

wow that actually really depressing to read. I am a cast and retrieve guy....and your basically telling me i wasted my money, though it was on sale., it was still a waste of money. Damn......that really sucks.....

Legend
Legend
I don't know, I have a couple baitcasters that I use. If you don't try and cast them like a spinning outfit, they're pretty reliable. Anti-backlash technology has come a long way.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I had less troubles with tangles when throwing the same weight over and over. It'd take a couple of casts (tangles) to get it dialed in. The trouble came again when I'd change lure/weight/bait. As it was back to tangles until I dialed it in again. Even then it was temperamental.
Kinda earked me too. I spent a decent chunk of change on it, then had it be too much trouble to use effectively as a heavily casted reel. What it did do was give me an excuse to go buy another rod to pair with it for a back trolling/side planing set up.
I typically carry two or three rods to the river. Each with a different setup. Spin. Troll/plane. Bobber and jig. (Fly, but those are typically trips of their own.) It keeps me from losing 'bait in water' time by having to change my setup. I can hit good water three different ways without effort.

[Linked Image]
S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

I had less troubles with tangles when throwing the same weight over and over. It'd take a couple of casts (tangles) to get it dialed in. The trouble came again when I'd change lure/weight/bait. As it was back to tangles until I dialed it in again. Even then it was temperamental.
Kinda earked me too. I spent a decent chunk of change on it, then had it be too much trouble to use effectively as a heavily casted reel. What it did do was give me an excuse to go buy another rod to pair with it for a back trolling/side planing set up.
I typically carry two or three rods to the river. Each with a different setup. Spin. Troll/plane. Bobber and jig. (Fly, but those are typically trips of their own.) It keeps me from losing 'bait in water' time by having to change my setup. I can hit good water three different ways without effort.

well i used it today....i hated it....and i hate myself for buying it.....

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Baitcasters arnt difficult, been using them for 30+ years...It all depends on how you set the adjustments on the side of the reel,

Theres a trick to adjusting how fast the bail turns when you cast and how to adjust it accordingly, the problem with baitcasters isnt the fisherman or the line or the lure it's the adjustments people dont make that causes the problems.

Best thing to do is get online and google up how to adjust baitcasting reels and play with them.

P.S. For me set the tension on the side at 5 1/2 leave it alone...never never touch it....on one side there is a small round cap normally bye the reel handle, this is your tension speed for your bail, or the round thing with your line on it, this knob controls how fast your reel turns, you dont want it turning faster than the line is coming off the bail this = birds nest....With your lure tied on hold your rod N reel in your hand and point the rod tip up, push the release button and the lure should fall slowly without causing your line to bundle up if it fall to quickly and your bail keeps spinning letting line out it's to loose tighten the small knob, if it dosent fall at all or falls way to slowly losen it up....The result your dialing into or looking for is when your lure hits the floor your bail or line stops spining and your line stops close to each other....keep in mind you still have your thumb to control stop & starts....Add enough line to your reel but dont fill it up all the way...Fill the bail up about 80% to much will cause your line to over flow your bail....not enough and you dont have the thumb control you need to stop & start the line during casts....Good luck, really it isnt hard just diffrent...

Last edited by ClayM57; 07/22/13 08:19 AM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

slick...like anything new, learning how to use a baitcast takes some time and practice...don't give up on it...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Forget all the adjustments, use your thumb to stop letting out line. Practice out in the yard.

You might lose a few yards per cast early on, but it isn't hard to get nearly maximum distance without having a birds nest on you reel.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I used to fear bait-casters and stuck with spinning gear. But last year I saw a fishing show where this 10 year old kid was making excellent casts with a bait-caster. Figured if he can I can, so I got one. Takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it you should be fine.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Baitcasters arnt difficult, been using them for 30+ years...It all depends on how you set the adjustments on the side of the reel,

Theres a trick to adjusting how fast the bail turns when you cast and how to adjust it accordingly, the problem with baitcasters isnt the fisherman or the line or the lure it's the adjustments people dont make that causes the problems.

Best thing to do is get online and google up how to adjust baitcasting reels and play with them.

P.S. For me set the tension on the side at 5 1/2 leave it alone...never never touch it....on one side there is a small round cap normally bye the reel handle, this is your tension speed for your bail, or the round thing with your line on it, this knob controls how fast your reel turns, you dont want it turning faster than the line is coming off the bail this = birds nest....With your lure tied on hold your rod N reel in your hand and point the rod tip up, push the release button and the lure should fall slowly without causing your line to bundle up if it fall to quickly and your bail keeps spinning letting line out it's to loose tighten the small knob, if it dosent fall at all or falls way to slowly losen it up....The result your dialing into or looking for is when your lure hits the floor your bail or line stops spining and your line stops close to each other....keep in mind you still have your thumb to control stop & starts....Add enough line to your reel but dont fill it up all the way...Fill the bail up about 80% to much will cause your line to over flow your bail....not enough and you dont have the thumb control you need to stop & start the line during casts....Good luck, really it isnt hard just diffrent...

Yes i did that, turned the line tension knob waiting for my lure to fall....NEVER DID....turned the damn thing till the knob almost came off!!! what a waste of money.....

S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

I used to fear bait-casters and stuck with spinning gear. But last year I saw a fishing show where this 10 year old kid was making excellent casts with a bait-caster. Figured if he can I can, so I got one. Takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it you should be fine.

spirit you live in ohio? if so where do you like to fish?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just don't cast big baits into the wind.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
fly fishing requires a lot more skill than any other type of fishing. then take it to a extra level and start to ty you own flys. if you have never done it, it takes awhile to learn somethings to catch a single fish.

Legend
Legend
Fly fishing is awesome. I was fortunate to have 2 ponds practically in my backyard to develop my casting technique. I also tie my own flies (bass bugs and bluegill stuff). It's a great hobby that I just don't find enough time for. I haven't been out once this year, and it's been quite some time since I've tied up some flies. It's something I plan on doing a lot of once I retire.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I've been fly fishing for a few years now. Only ever landed one fish. A 14 pound Steelhead on the Deschutes River. I make the hour and a half drive a couple times every fall. Truth be told I'm not the greatest caster so I typically only use my fly rod early in the morning when the winds are low. Then I switch to my spin rod. Then I catch fish.

[Linked Image]
S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
on a side note, we are selling my grandfathers house. Anyway me and my dad claimed the fishing gear Found this weird rod...its a medium heavy action rod. Its a spn caster...never used one...basically its a large sized closed face reel...but with a rod that is very much like a spinning reel rod.....its not weak like a classic closed face....its strong....and gives lures great action....damn thing is 7 feet long....nut i kinda like it.....its a weird rod man....really weird....

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Quote:

I've been fly fishing for a few years now. Only ever landed one fish. A 14 pound Steelhead on the Deschutes River. I make the hour and a half drive a couple times every fall. Truth be told I'm not the greatest caster so I typically only use my fly rod early in the morning when the winds are low. Then I switch to my spin rod. Then I catch fish.

what weight rod do you have? I find that the lighter the leader you have the more fish you catch. it is a blast catching steelies on a fly rod. my son and I have 3,5 and 7 weights. the 3 weight is great on small streams in the spring for trout. but I like to fish for small mouth bass with streamers. and its just starting to get hot fishing for them and will stay hot til mid September.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I have a beautiful 9' 8 weight rod made by Powell. I got a great deal on it. My friend that's teaching me fly fishing loves to cast it. He uses a 13' spay rod. Watching him cast that thing is massively impressive.
The steelhead start hitting the rivers in another 4 weeks. Can't wait. The Deschutes is a world class fishing river. It's great having it so close. Amazing fishing, spectacular surroundings.

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum question for any fisherman

Link Copied to Clipboard