Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
The last two years...

There's been so much talk about in practice throwing the deep ball, and throwing long and in preseason our TEs went up the seam to much success and we never used screen passes and then...

Come Sep 8...all of that disappears. Poorly executed screens show up, TEs never enter the seam, FBs drop everything after getting no passes in the preseason, etc...

Think we'll see stuff in the preseason ACTUALLY get used DURING the season?

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I have immense faith in this coaching staff. With the WCO it was expected to see a lot of short passes, and there were numerous bombs to Gordon. Not nearly as many as we are going to see or should have seen last year.

What typically happens in preseason is in fact the opposite. We will likely see a more vanilla flavor of our offense and defense (especially d).

Now that I think about it I am excited to see guys like Campbell, Hoyer, Lewis, and Nelson out there. Guys who have some talent but we likely wont see much of through the season. Also I'm a big fan of hardesty and b jax so I'll need to savor these games.

I am most worried about the cb2 position on this squad. I still have now idea if it will be mcfadden, skrine, or owens. Preseason games will be interesting on defense just to watch those guys.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's unclear how the new regime will handle preseason/camp. If they are in the "super secret" camp that believes you show nothing during preseason.... or the camp that believes all that secrecy is unnecessary and hence opens the tap in the preseason...

Something else to look for during what will likely be a very interesting camp.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
I think vanilla is different than what we saw...we saw misleading.

Vanilla is seeing if the guys can do the simple things without many combinations or without many complex things going on...we saw things that we NEVER used during the season.

During the season, id expect to see more complex versions of what we see in the preseason...

Now if it doesn't work...okay, don't show it in the season...but that's noticeable too. We did things in the preseason that worked that we never tried again...

It has to start somehow
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Benji is going to see some of those long balls, instead of Gordon in the first two games, just due to pure speed.

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think Benji is going to see some of those long balls, instead of Gordon in the first two games, just due to pure speed.

Too bad he'll catch them 7 yards out of bounds or give up if they're overthrown by more than a foot :-P

S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm not going to take anything I see in the preseason seriously.

As every year passes, I realize what a joke it is.

There are 4 stages of preseason football to match the 4 weeks.

1. Week one - YAY FOOTBALL!!

2. Week two - mehhhhhhh

3. Week three - Can I haz real football plz?

4. Week four - Yay there's college football on tonight!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the NFL preseason.

Legend
Legend
Ok, so I read the four stages before I read the rest of your post, and I assumed that those were the phrases that describe the first four weeks of the typical Browns season

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Ok, so I read the four stages before I read the rest of your post, and I assumed that those were the phrases that describe the first four weeks of the typical Browns season

First four weeks of the Browns REGULAR season

1. WOOOOOOO---damnit-man we'll get 'em next week

2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. BACKUP QB!!!

4. FIRE _________!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The last two years...

There's been so much talk about in practice throwing the deep ball, and throwing long and in preseason our TEs went up the seam to much success and we never used screen passes and then...

Come Sep 8...all of that disappears. Poorly executed screens show up, TEs never enter the seam, FBs drop everything after getting no passes in the preseason, etc...

Think we'll see stuff in the preseason ACTUALLY get used DURING the season?

I don't know, but what I hope happens is that they find things that work in preseason and use it them in the regular season.

A man can hope right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

First four weeks of the Browns REGULAR season

1. WOOOOOOO---damnit-man we'll get 'em next week

2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. BACKUP QB!!!

4. FIRE _________!

Ok, lol! That's pretty accurate

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Preseason is a joke, it's to evaluate backups and guys trying to make the team and almost nothing else. If you're trying to read anything into preseason, stahp.

N
Legend
Legend
N
you forgot:

Week 5: Hey, we may get our pick out of all of these great college players. I better start following them more closely.

Week15-17: Why are we winning games NOW! We are dropping in the draft like crazy? This is stupid, meaningless, gaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Gotta take to an extent that preseason should be taken with a grain of salt. The main focus isn't winning I don't think, it's talent evaluation. Plus teams don't want to tip it off and have film for others to review on.

First stringers aren't even given much game time. Just enough to loosen up and get the feel for the speed of the game and other aspects. I don't know but I don't take the schemes and play calls too serious when it comes to preseason. It is... what it is.

K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
I agree...and I'm not trying to say that we should have an offense that looks like its in midseason form...

but if were going to have TEs rum seam routes...it would make sense to utilize that route in the season. If were going to throw the ball to our FB, we might want to try that in the preseason.

I coach basketball...In preseason (scrimmages or early non-league games against bad teams) you try things you want to use in the season, and if they are successful, you build them in.

I saw things that were successful go unused, and things that weren't successful during the season, were things unseen before. A la Brandon Weeden saying that they didn't practice during the week what they were using in games...

Will this staff fix that error?

It has to start somehow
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After seeing Ray Horton's Q and A today it's possible he dials up the D in preseason. I don't see him as a vanilla guy. EVER. But I didn't pay attention to the Cardinals preseason under him, so perhaps I'm mistaken. I just have the feeling he want's to get this D fired up early. We shall see.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will we actually see in the season what we see in preseason?

Link Copied to Clipboard