Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Ray Horton has pedigree to transform Browns defense - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-...m-good-to-great

BEREA, Ohio -- The three Super Bowl rings rest on a corner of Ray Horton's desk. They are at once inconspicuous -- the exclusive jewelry is hardly the first thing you notice when you walk into his office -- yet unavoidable. Once your eyes make contact with them it's hard not to stop and stare.

You are aware throughout the duration of the conversation, as Horton outlines his philosophy and goals in hopes of taking a Cleveland Browns defense from good to great, that the bling is close enough to touch, and if the sun catches those diamonds just right your retina might be endangered.

For all that Horton accomplished revamping Arizona's defense as a coordinator there the past two years, it is those rings and his years as a prized apprenticed to defensive guru Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh that will resonate loudest in these parts.

These Cleveland fans are fixated on the hated Steelers, with Horton a part of two of their record six Lombardi Trophies as an assistant coach, and these Browns players don't need to be sold on Horton's Accomplishments, with the tangible proof sitting in his office. If this perpetually rebuilding franchise is ever to compete again, it will have to do so in a most difficult AFC North that includes the reigning Super Bowl champs in Baltimore, the always-tough Steelers and a Bengals team that is seeking a third straight playoff berth.

This is the only division in football with two Super Bowl winning quarterbacks -- Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger -- a fact Horton is acutely aware of.

The standard here is obvious. If you want to even reach the playoffs in the AFC North, it will likely require a Super Bowl-caliber club, and the Steelers, Ravens and, more recently Bengals, have all traditionally been defined by their menacing defenses. That's the rarified air Horton is seeking, and it's part of what attracted him to Cleveland after the Cardinals declined to name him head coach (he had several other head coaching interviews as well).

"You talk about (the rings) some, because that's what you want," said Horton, who, should he have the success I expect will be a head coach himself in short order. "But really what I do talk about is Paul Kruger (a pass rusher signed away from the champion Ravens), because he was just there.

"When you get there, you understand, and if you haven't been there you don't understand it. So you talk about certain experienced and you go, 'Isn't that right Paul.' And Paul shakes his head, 'Yeah, that's right.' They don't know, and if haven't been there you don't know, but it lends credence that when you do talk about getting there that I can turn to Paul."

Horton has a strong playing career of his own to cull upon, a former second-round pick who played 10 years as a defensive back, including two Super Bowl appearance and one title with Dallas.

He began his coaching career in 1994 with Washington -- Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner hired him to join his Redskins staff after Horton had played for Turner's teams in Dallas -- and after coaching defensive backs in Cincinnati and Detroit Horton began his tutelage under LeBeau, the master, in 2004.

The Steelers were always a top-10 defense while he was there and ranked first overall three times, with Horton seen as the eventual heir apparent to the ageless LeBeau, who may still be running Pittsburgh's defense three years from now at this rate. So in 2011 Horton made the decision to take the Arizona defensive coordinator job and he rapidly transformed that sad-sack bunch to the point where in 2011 the Cardinals led the NFL in opposing passer rating (71.2), interception percentage, ranked second in third-down defense, third in red-zone defense and fourth in takeaways.

"Ray was a young coach when I hired him and I've known him," Turner said, "and with the type of person he is and the way he thinks, you knew he was going to be a good coach. And with the experienced he's had along the way, and the good people he's worked with and the experience in Pittsburgh, it's fun to be with him now and see how's he grown. He's an outstanding football coach."

Turner's offense, which lacks the overall individual talent and skill that Horton's unit has, is getting all it can handle during this camp from the defense. Horton works hard to conceal his intentions, disguising blitzes, moving people around, trying to confuse the quarterback before he attacks him.

"We've had to work hard to handle their stuff," Turner said. "If your center and quarterback can't read the pressure and make adjustments and slide people over, then this defense can make you look silly."

While the Browns were building a formidable defense under former coordinator Dick Jauron, their approach was much more reactive, not aggressive, not as diverse in its looks. When new owner Jimmy Haslam handed executive Joe Banner the power to build this franchise after a long tenure in Philadelphia, Banner knew he wanted an attacking, 3-4 defensive mind to run that side of the ball. Horton was always a natural fit, and it hasn't taken a lot of convincing getting the players to embrace his approach.

"I think it goes back to the pedigree, where one is from," Horton said. "And having a Dick LeBeau, the 3-4, attacking, Blitzburgh, all that stuff -- guys in the league they understand what they're looking at. They understand the West Coast Offense vs. a 4-3 Tampa-2. They know what's going on around the league, and they see the numbers and they know who is a good and who is not.

"And I think every player on every NFL roster thinks, first of all, I'm a good player, and you look at the stats and what's been the trend, who is at the top in the categories. And you go, 'Why is that team always up there? Are there players that much better than me? I'm a good player. OK, so put me in position, coach.'

"So it's been an easy sell, and really the only thing I told the players when came in is trust me. You don't have to like me, none of that stuff. Just trust me."

Horton already had several pieces in place to make the transition to his defense, and Banner and general manager Mike Lombardi provided several more this offseason. Recent draft picks Phil Taylor (defensive line) and corner Joe Haden have joined longtime stalwart linebacker D'Qwell Jackson to give the Browns a superior talent at each level of their defense. To that mix came Kruger, a big free agent signing with the edge ability Horton covets, and free-agent defensive lineman Desmond Bryant, who is having an excellent camp thus far.

Cleveland used the sixth overall pick on Barkevious Mingo -- who has the potential to be pass-rushing force off the edge -- while fourth-year safety TJ Ward has caught Horton's attention, and third-year linebacker Jabaal Sheard could really benefit from the multiplicity of this new scheme.

"The cupboard's not empty," Horton said. "I like the possibility of moving guys around and the interchangeable parts where you're not stuck doing any one thing."

All of this is with a design on turnovers. This offense will need all the help it can get, from a short-field, an extra possession, defensive touchdowns. The quarterback spot is unsettled and a bevy of recent high picks on the offensive side of the ball are very much still in prove-it mode. Considering the defenses the Browns face in the AFC North, Turner has a tall task before him.

Horton is adamant about doing more than his share. When the conversation turns to takeaways, he grabs a report, with each page from a different year, listing the statistical leaders in turnover differential going back at least a decade. On each page the playoff teams are highlighted in green from that season, and, as we flip back through the years, the correlation is obvious.

"You see where all the green teams are, right? Horton asks, with the playoff teams almost always all bunched up in the top 10 of turnover differential year after year, with occasional anomalies to the contrary (like the 2012 Colts).

You also can't help but notice that the Browns are near the bottom in that category, and many others (Cleveland has cracked the top 10 in turnover differential only twice since re-entering the NFL in 1999, most recently in 2008). And as Horton puts down the packet you take one more glance at those rings as you turn to leave you suspect that won't be the case much longer.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good article. Thanks.

Quote:

"The cupboard's not empty," Horton said. "I like the possibility of moving guys around and the interchangeable parts where you're not stuck doing any one thing."

I think this is very important. Early on, most people were really caught up w/the fact that we were switching to a 3-4 defense. It's still a concern for many posters. However, I like the fact that we will run multiple fronts. 3-man fronts, 4-man fronts, and even 5-man fronts. What I like even more, is the fact that Horton has said he is going to be moving guys around. This will cause confusion for the offenses. You never know where guys will be coming from. I think this is very exciting, because we do have a few guys who will be able to get after the qb.

Quote:

All of this is with a design on turnovers. This offense will need all the help it can get, from a short-field, an extra possession, defensive touchdowns. The quarterback spot is unsettled and a bevy of recent high picks on the offensive side of the ball are very much still in prove-it mode. Considering the defenses the Browns face in the AFC North, Turner has a tall task before him.

As excited as I am about the defense, I am as concerned about the offense. I will be surprised if we are even a mediocre offense this year.

Quote:

Horton is adamant about doing more than his share. When the conversation turns to takeaways, he grabs a report, with each page from a different year, listing the statistical leaders in turnover differential going back at least a decade. On each page the playoff teams are highlighted in green from that season, and, as we flip back through the years, the correlation is obvious.

"You see where all the green teams are, right? Horton asks, with the playoff teams almost always all bunched up in the top 10 of turnover differential year after year, with occasional anomalies to the contrary (like the 2012 Colts).

My bro Diam always said stats are for losers, but this is one stat that is tremendously important. More times than not, the team that wins the turnover battle wins the game. And that is even more evident when evaluated over a full season. The Colts? They caught magic last year because of Luck's inspired late-game play. They aren't that good. They drastically over-achieved. I think they are 5-6 win team. The only thing about that though is that they have Luck. He always will give them a chance. Can you imagine if we had Luck on our team and they had Weeden? Wow!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Horton already had several pieces in place to make the transition to his defense, and Banner and general manager Mike Lombardi provided several more this offseason. Recent draft picks Phil Taylor (defensive line) and corner Joe Haden have joined longtime stalwart linebacker D'Qwell Jackson to give the Browns a superior talent at each level of their defense. To that mix came Kruger, a big free agent signing with the edge ability Horton covets, and free-agent defensive lineman Desmond Bryant, who is having an excellent camp thus far.

Who wrote this article, Jason La Canfora?

Given the way the above paragraph is constructed, the average NFL fan might read this and come away believing Banner and Lombardi drafted Haden and Taylor...

..."Horton already had several pieces in place to make the transition to his defense, and Banner and general manager Mike Lombardi provided several more this offseason. Recent draft picks Phil Taylor (defensive line) and corner Joe Haden..."

On the subject of Horton's defense...the elephant in the room is the defensive backfield...

..so far is looks like Banner/Lombardi draft picks, CB McFadden will be backing up Buster Skrine and Safety, Slaughter is still rehabbing, riding a stationary bike.

The defensive backfield was an area of weakness going into this years draft and it remains a weakness, lacking experience and depth, IMO.

But, (with fingers crossed) with Horton's experience playing CB and FS for 10 seasons...and coaching DBs/Secondary for 17 yrs...hopefully Horton can develop our young, raw secondary, turning the secondary from weakness into a strength.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
Legend
Legend
R
There is more talent on the O side of the ball than at any time since 2007.

At least there is a chance these guys can make some noise. You can't really say that about the last several years. There have been glaring weaknesses across the board with very little potential. Totally different this year. And although Weeden remains a question mark, at least the guy can make real NFL throws. It sucks having a QB that can't make all the throws.

I know the D is getting hyped up, and I'm excited to watch them. I can very easily see a scenario where they struggle and the O surprises and carries this team. I can't remember so much potential on both sides of the ball since we came back. And even in 2007 our D was terrible.

And I'm starting to think Little has a legit shot at being a #1 with this new found work ethic. He doesn't have that skill set, but may be he can make up for it with hard work. He may very well make us forget about Gordon if that guy can't get his head on straight.

Legend
Legend

Vers:

I agree with you. Actually I think the defense can be good. They have invested in the defense and there is talent to work with.

The problem is the offense. It starts with Weeden. No matter what offensive scheme you run the quarterback has to know where to go with the ball and when. He has to see the field and anticipate. He has to be able to read different defenses play by play game by game.

My hope is that Weeden proves me wrong. But based upon what I have seen from him I am skeptical about him improving in the areas he needs to improve.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Vers:

I agree with you. Actually I think the defense can be good. They have invested in the defense and there is talent to work with.

The problem is the offense. It starts with Weeden. No matter what offensive scheme you run the quarterback has to know where to go with the ball and when. He has to see the field and anticipate. He has to be able to read different defenses play by play game by game.

My hope is that Weeden proves me wrong. But based upon what I have seen from him I am skeptical about him improving in the areas he needs to improve.

You and most of the others have not given Weeden a fair chance, He was a ROOKIE QB, in an offense that did not match His skill set, He is a down field passer, not a dink and dunk type of QB that would fit Shurmer's outdated West Coast Joke, and he is capable of throwing the underneath stuff, unlike DA, give him half a season then if he hasn't improved you will be more justified in your criticism of Weeden, because right now you have no ground to stand on, this is the year we will know .... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Vers:

You and most of the others have not given Weeden a fair chance, He was a ROOKIE QB, in an offense that did not match His skill set, He is a down field passer, not a dink and dunk type of QB that would fit Shurmer's outdated West Coast Joke, and he is capable of throwing the underneath stuff, unlike DA, give him half a season then if he hasn't improved you will be more justified in your criticism of Weeden, because right now you have no ground to stand on, this is the year we will know .... JMHO

OK, I understand the limitations and obstacles he faced. He's a downfield passer in an offense that didn't utilize that skill very well.

None of that takes away from the fact that he struggled to read defenses and failed in the one area that is his supposed strength (downfield passing).

Being inaccurate and unable to read a defense are deficiencies that are on Weeden, not the obstacles he faced.

I'm not throwing the towel in on the guy, but it's not looking very bright for him. Luckily, he looks to be in a best-possible-scenario type situation, so we'll know soon enough.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
At the same time he had a coach saying things like Protect the football, don't take chances...and such.

It wasn't just that he was inaccurate and couldn't read defenses. He was being forced to hit timing routes while reading the defense and not taking any chances.

That's 3 things that make it very tough on a rookie in the NFL. Coming from the defenseless Big XII, to the AFCN which is Marvin Lewis, Ray Lewis, and Dick LeBeau...good luck. Throw in a difficult, outdated offense, and theres gonna be problems.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Again, I understand the obstacles he faced.

But a lot of posters are making it sound like Weeden looked like the real deal, but was just hamstrung by inept coaching and an ill-suited system.

That was not the case at all. Weeden looked bad. A lot of that can be attributed to what surrounded him, but a lot of it is on him.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Again, I understand the obstacles he faced.

But a lot of posters are making it sound like Weeden looked like the real deal, but was just hamstrung by inept coaching and an ill-suited system.

That was not the case at all. Weeden looked bad. A lot of that can be attributed to what surrounded him, but a lot of it is on him.

I agree...but a lot of what was on him CAN still be attributed to being a rookie and running that weird O.. Most rookies struggle reading complex D's...most rookies struggle understanding where to go in a complex O.

I hear what you are saying...maybe he can't read a D worth a crap...maybe he can't figure out where to go with the ball...even with a little experience and better coaching.

The odd thing is that the factors last year started out bad (rookie, AFCN D, inexperience all over the place) and then were made worse (West Coast O, Pat's confusion, was-it-PS or Childress).

Unfortunately - in my mind - last year was such a mess that we lost a year of reaaaaaally being able to evaluate Weeden...on the things that are on HIM or not...or both.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Like he said, he looks to be walking into the right situation this year.

We'll know soon enough.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
jc

I don't know what to expect from Weeden, but I am sure it will look much better than last year. The big question on Weeden will be how well he learns to read and react to a defense, he has all the physical tools to be a franchise QB.

As far as Weedens accuracy I have no worries in this department, Weeden did overthrow WRs of a handful of plays last year, but I have seen Bret Farve overthrow WRs many times as well throughout his career, yet he is considered one of the best in history.

As far as the defense goes, I can't wait to watch this defense. A Browns defense that is focusing on rushing the passer is something I have not seen since Clay Mathews and Chip Banks were on the field at the same time.

I do know that this front seven is something to get excited about.

My biggest concern on defense is not the secondary rather Horton only being around for one year then taking a HC job elsewhere? What do the Browns do if Horton leaves after next year, Horton seems to be a very aggressive coach the likes that are rare and hard to find.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Who wrote this article, Jason La Canfora?

Given the way the above paragraph is constructed, the average NFL fan might read this and come away believing Banner and Lombardi drafted Haden and Taylor...

LOL........why would the "average fan" think that? Most people do know how to read. Do you?

OK, coach 'V'...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I have to agree with Vers. I didn't take it that way at all. After reading your comment I went back and read that paragraph and couldn't even see how you think anyone would have read it that way.

I guess one would have to have something influencing their perception and viewpoint in order to see read it that way.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, it doesn't read that way at all, in terms of paragraph/sentence structure.

mac's been grasping at a lot of straws lately.

C
Legend
Legend
C
From an article titled All-Underrated Team:

Quote:

Sheard will play outside linebacker on a high number of snaps in Ray Horton’s defense, but it’s his 2011-12 work as an end with which we’re concerned. He’s put up 15.5 sacks in that time in a front seven that gets too little recognition as it is, and we believe that he’s about to become one of the pre-eminent pass rushers in the game. He has the speed off the edge to affect quarterbacks in space, and he’s also an outstanding run defender. Horton is one of the league’s most creative defensive coordinators, and we can’t wait to see what he does with Sheard.

O
Legend
Legend
O
"he's also an outstanding run defender"

Easy there, big fella.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum CBS: Horton Has Pedigree to Transform Browns D

Link Copied to Clipboard