Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yes! Super Bowl here we come!

Cleveland Browns Football News - NFL Coverage - cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/team/1375817402-781-164/browns-agree-to-terms-on.html

Browns agree to terms on a five-year extension for longsnapper Christian Yount
by Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
8/6/2013 3:31 PM Print

Email
The Browns have agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension with longsnapper Christian Yount through 2017.

Yount stepped in for the struggling Ryan Pontbriand during the 2011 season and solidified the position.
A third-year pro, Yount handled all longsnapping duties last season as kicker Phil Dawson converted on 29-of-31 field goals and was selected to the AFC Pro Bowl squad.
Yount (6-3, 256) also posted four tackles on punt coverage.
In 2011, Yount stepped in for Pontbriand, who had been the Browns' longsnapper since being drafted in the fifth round of the 2003 draft. When Pontbriand, a former Pro Bowler, became shaky and was cut by coach Pat Shurmur, Yount was signed as a street free agent and didn't miss a beat.
He snapped the last five games of the 2011 and proved he deserved a fulltime job here. In fact, with Yount has his longsnapper, Dawson connected on 35-of-37 field goals dating back to 2011.
This year, he's snapping for 14th-year pro Shayne Graham and rookie Brandon Bogotay, who are battling for the kicking duties. Yount is the second player the Browns have recently extended. Last month, they wrapped up left guard John Greco to a five-year contract through 2017.
“Christian has proven that he’s a reliable contributor,” coach Rob Chudzinski said in a release. “He’s an important cog at an often undervalued position. We’re happy to have him on our team.”

Yount, a 6-1, 256-pound veteran, has seen action in 28 career contests and has added four special-teams tackles.
Originally signed by Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent in 2011 out of UCLA, Yount handled the long snapping duties for the Buccaneers’ first seven contests that season. He was waived after Tampa Bay activated its primary long snapper Andrew Economos from the PUP list.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Rewarding players who do their jobs is never a bad thing. So far Greco and Yount have both got extensions. Hopefully Ward and Mack are next.

Legend
Legend
Those two are especially deserving. I feel some feel-good momentum building. Hope I can enjoy it for a few years.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Super bowl here we come

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Now I can finally sleep tonight.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Well, he's no Pontbriand, but......

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

But know one is

Joe Thomas #73
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

who he going to snap to? that's the question.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

j/c

who he going to snap to? that's the question.

Not Owen Marecic, he can't catch...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

be dismissve if you will but a LS is like a referee, the good ones you never notice.

no one says crap about a LS until he sails one over the punters head then the arm chair GM's come out in full force.

locking a good one up for 5 years is a good thing and ponti was great, just proves the case in point.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I know this is a joke, but people freaked out when we cut Pontbriand. Yount has been perfect since the day we signed him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Rewarding players who do their jobs is never a bad thing.

That's true. I'm assuming (since no $ numbers were posted) that both he and his agent were satisfied as no complaints have surfaced...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Apparently Yount was one of those 'key pieces' that Banner had spoken about.

This should really set 'mac' off like a nuclear bomb.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Apparently Yount was one of those 'key pieces' that Banner had spoken about.

He is part of the yount movement he has been talking about.
( a vague my cousin Vinnie reference )

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Well, it looks like we plan to punt a tremendous amount. Thanks Banner.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He is part of the yount movement he has been talking about.
( a vague my cousin Vinnie reference )

That was awful.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

"Fear us, for we have Yount!"

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They've been talking about banner being like MArk Shapiro. Shapiro likes to sign his young guys early because he can get them cheaper while they are stars. I'm not sure how that applies here but I'm assuming he signed for less than he would have gotten if he reached the end of his contract?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Hopefully Ward and Mack are next.

Blah, blah, blah

Those two are especially deserving.

I think this is a huge year for both guys. Mack was taken later in round 1. Ward was picked towards the top of round 2. High investments.

Ward seems to be nicked up a lot. Mack has been solid, if not spectacular. I think both guys need to stay healthy and have very good years this year.

I think they will play well, provided Ward can stay on the field. I just don't think it is as cut and dry as some make it out to be.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Mack definitely needs to be signed as soon as possible.

I'm more willing to take a wait and see approach on Ward...He has spent an awful lot of time being injured. He needs to prove he can stay healthy before he deserves a long term contract.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm more willing to take a wait and see approach on Ward...He has spent an awful lot of time being injured. He needs to prove he can stay healthy before he deserves a long term contract.

This could be a big year for Ward, in Horton's defense. Definitely the right situation for him to go out and see if he can earn that extension.

Similar thing with Weeden (sorry for dragging the QB into the thread). The offense we are running this year is suited for his skill set. This year is the right situation for him to show what he has. If nothing else happens this season, we will at least answer that question and know how to proceed.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
jc

It's too bad Ryan Pontbriand was cut by SF and is still a free agent. He was rock solid up until the end with us and he will always have my respect. Hard worker that just did his job.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Rewarding players who do their jobs is never a bad thing. So far Greco and Yount have both got extensions. Hopefully Ward and Mack are next.

+1

I'm hoping we have agreements in principle already with both, and are just awaiting final rosters to get the deals done - at that point we know exactly where we are with the cap and where we may need to get to. We could offer high year 1 salaries to keep future cap impacts low, giving us more flexibility in the future.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Fear us for we have Yount.....just not the same sadly.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Good extension. He is a good solid player. Its a position you dont notice unless you have a player that sucks trying to do it.

So you're saying it was a good extension because he doesn't suck at doing it?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here's hoping I don't hear his name again for 5 years.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

Hopefully Ward and Mack are next.

Blah, blah, blah

Those two are especially deserving.

I think this is a huge year for both guys. Mack was taken later in round 1. Ward was picked towards the top of round 2. High investments.

Ward seems to be nicked up a lot. Mack has been solid, if not spectacular. I think both guys need to stay healthy and have very good years this year.

I think they will play well, provided Ward can stay on the field. I just don't think it is as cut and dry as some make it out to be.

It would be nice if we had some success this year.

The flip side that people don't talk about is if Mack and Ward even want to stay.

Some success this year would go a long way in that regard and may even contribute to them signing a more friendly "banner" deal.

I know if I was a guy in Mack's or Ward's shoes and we sucked again this year, I might want to leave. You can only take so much losing.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The flip side that people don't talk about is if Mack and Ward even want to stay.

Most of the time in the NFL the young guys want to get paid before anything else. If we offer them fair wages I would expect they would stay.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Most of the time in the NFL the young guys want to get paid before anything else. If we offer them fair wages I would expect they would stay.

I think that applies more in this case. That said, for the vast majority of players, contract #2 is their money contract. Not many players get in to a 3rd contract that pays them more then their 2nd contract...especially centers and safeties. Being such, it also makes sense to not jump at the home team offer and wait and see what drums up. In most cases if a team wants to ink you in August, they will also want to ink you next February, and in many cases, for more money as the pressure of the clock ticks.

I have no doubt we have at least talked to the players agents and have made a offer, be it one I suspect on the lowball side.(it doesn't make sense to go all in on your initial offer)

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Losing sucks. It would be very hard to play for a losing organization if you were extremely competitive. Hopefully, we'll have some success this year. At least approach .500 and see some real signs of growth that everyone can be excited about. I think I did read where Mack said he liked it in Cleveland, though.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Getting the small potatoes done first.
Greco n now Yount.

Haden, Mack, Ward are some biggies that will take some time and a lot more $$$ then the two taken care of already.

I've read nothing but good things about All 3 so far in camp except of course the small nagging injuries of Ward.

I don't want to get that many compensatory picks from losing good players to FA!

Not yet...we are not there for a rotation of talent out with the old n in with the young....We are just getting that talent situated. After all that is why we got all this Cap Space???

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Losing sucks. It would be very hard to play for a losing organization if you were extremely competitive. Hopefully, we'll have some success this year. At least approach .500 and see some real signs of growth that everyone can be excited about. I think I did read where Mack said he liked it in Cleveland, though.

Mack said he liked it here just last week. Give him the dough and he won't go. Show signs of improvement and a bunch of guys will like playing in Cleveland.

I'm convinced the O-line is the most 'family' oriented unit. No man as an island, all need to work together. These guys all have each other's backs all game every game. Sometimes they even let the QB play with them.

Some team probably would have paid Thomas stupid money, but the Browns gave him a fair deal and he took it. Offer Mack a fair deal and I bet he'll take it too.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign LS Yount to 5 Year Extension

Link Copied to Clipboard