Next Thread
Print Thread
#810789 09/04/13 09:50 AM
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
So, so, so proud of my little girl. Took her to school today and she was still tired and started to cry a little. But, as I told her I was going to stand over with another Mom and watch her walk in. She cheered up a little. (also told her we were moving her bedtime earlier as she's consistently tired in the mornings).

Anyway, while her class was waiting to file into the building, her teacher came over to talk to me (already? really?) She told me Anna has been doing some testing (all Kindergarten students are doing it). She said Anna is reading way above her grade level and asked if I was interested in challenging her by allowing her to join the 1st graders for reading class. For now, she won't be challenged in Kindergarten since most of them can't read yet and Mrs. Poole (teacher) said she fears Anna getting bored in class because she already knows the stuff she'll be teaching.

I said, as long as Anna is ok with it, let's do it! Proud Mama!

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Big deal. I'm already reading at a 1st grade level.

That's great!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
well I guess that proves I'm not the father

Keep bragging babe

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

So, so, so proud of my little girl. Took her to school today and she was still tired and started to cry a little. But, as I told her I was going to stand over with another Mom and watch her walk in. She cheered up a little. (also told her we were moving her bedtime earlier as she's consistently tired in the mornings).

Anyway, while her class was waiting to file into the building, her teacher came over to talk to me (already? really?) She told me Anna has been doing some testing (all Kindergarten students are doing it). She said Anna is reading way above her grade level and asked if I was interested in challenging her by allowing her to join the 1st graders for reading class. For now, she won't be challenged in Kindergarten since most of them can't read yet and Mrs. Poole (teacher) said she fears Anna getting bored in class because she already knows the stuff she'll be teaching.

I said, as long as Anna is ok with it, let's do it! Proud Mama!

I don't understand. Why were you disturbed by the fact that the teacher approached you "already" to talk about your daughter?

F
Legend
Legend
F
Because it is the first week and typically a teacher would only be approaching you this early for something bad?

Kind of like getting called to the principle's office, but not knowing why. Most assume the worst.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Congrats Babe! Also sounds like she has a good teacher to start her down the path to education. I love how she asked if you wanted to "challenge" her.

My oldest kind of muddled for a while, but always had great grades. Now she's in HS in advanced honors and almost has all the req for an advanced regents diploma (she is starting her Jr year Monday). She also plays Viola and is in the district chamber quartet, they travel to various arts promotions. And she rows on the Varsity Crew team. Most of those accomplishments have come from teachers who inspired or pushed her.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Because it is the first week and typically a teacher would only be approaching you this early for something bad?

Kind of like getting called to the principle's office, but not knowing why. Most assume the worst.

Exactly. When I see an e-mail from my kids teachers my first thought is usually not, "I wonder what my kid is excelling at today."

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Glad to hear the good news Babe.

While my daughter is grown with kids of her own, I still fondly remember the proud times of her accomplishments in school.

They grow up so quickly....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. When I see an e-mail from my kids teachers my first thought is usually not, "I wonder what my kid is excelling at today."

Bingo! I thought she was going to tell me Anna was having a hard time adjusting to school, crying during class etc. I mean, she is only in Kindergarten and has only had 7 days of school done - and she had just finished crying that morning telling me she didn't want to go to school (she's not getting enough sleep, so I'm putting her to bed earlier tonight to see if that helps).

79~I'm surprised you can read at a first grade level. I'd have guessed you at a Hooked on Phonics level.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Couple of things: First, bragging on your kids is just fine with me.

Secondly, Kudo's to her, and keep her reading!!!

Reading is a great thing, and it helps spelling, and so much more!

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
It all makes sense now. I was trying to figure out how you were in first place in the ESPN NASCAR pool. Your daughter is running your team.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Great school experience! I feel good for both of you.

I've had sole custody of my son since he was three, (he's 25 now). When I took him to the first day of school we walked in and I turned him over to his teacher and the "coach", (gym teacher). He met them both previously and liked them a lot. But when it was time for me to leave he made a big fuss. "Coach" gave me a knowing wink so I turned and walked away. Coach had him by the hand practically dragging him down the hallway as my son screamed at the top of his lungs, "I hate you people!".

Next day he was excited to go back in by himself. hahaha

#gmstrong
ddubia #810801 09/05/13 09:04 PM
Legend
Legend
25 Your making me feel old buddy

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Be proud of her! I am proud of you; you get my Ex-Teacher Platinum Gold Star Award for Super- Momming.

My reading was early as well. Started reading high school level books in 2nd grade. Let her pick some for herself. Really helps the "unchallenged" readers.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Thanks!

Right now, Anna and I are reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. I believe they're geared towards 2nd graders (unsure), but she got them as a birthday gift in February and we started reading them this summer. She loves them and I've only had to explain a few things to her.

She gets the love of reading from me, for sure. My Grandma likes to tell me how impressed she's always been that I've been able to read since I was 3 (newspaper headlines and street signs), and at 4 I was reading books. She and I (and her Dad) read every night, at least a little bit.

She's eager to start reading with the first graders. She thinks it will be fun to be with the older kids. Frankly, her little 3rd grade friend doesn't even read as well as she does. (but, I think she may actually have an issue - dyslexia - as she's consistently flipping things around)

Anyway, I'm glad I could pass on something good to my little girl. I still love to read and read at least a little bit every night before bed.

#gmstrong
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
My kids all read the wimpy kids books. I also like the Amelia Bedilia stories. Chapter books in Kindergarten is pretty good! Sounds like she is off to a great start!

* Just wait till they get older! The Hunger Games books were cool, and Harry Potter and the Percy Jackson books, but the vampire stuff and some of the other "popular" books get a little too smexy for my taste.

Last edited by shadow67; 09/06/13 02:51 PM.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Mommy Brag Post

Link Copied to Clipboard