Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#813439 09/30/13 11:57 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Ok, I took karate in grad school and really enjoyed it. It was a very high energy, high impact instruction method, mixed with the focus/concentration/mental aspect of martial arts.

My son took karate in Northern Virginia when he was young and got nothing out of it. There was no discipline taught, it was little kids jumping around erratically and about every 3 months they would have a "belt test" in which I would pay $40 to watch 100 kids jump around, break a piece of balsa wood and put a stripe of black electrical tape on their belt and give them a medal. He did this for a couple years and didn't really learn a single thing.

Now my 10 year old daughter has expressed an interest and I want to encourage her to pursue that interest but I have a question, from Karate to Kenpo to Tai Kwon Do to the other 40 different forms (there's probably far more than that) but does anybody have any information or recommendation on which one they like? Or which ones are more engaging for kids? As I said, my experience is limited to my own 2-3 years of study and what my son went through.

I want something that is fun for her but I also want her to work and get something out of it. I know a lot of that will have to do with the individual instruction but I'm prepared to do my research on that.

Any thoughts?

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #813440 09/30/13 12:14 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I took four years of martial arts when I was in my young teens. Okinawan karate. The instruction was both physical and mental. Along with the physical testing we took tests on the history of the style along with other things that instilled a mental discipline. It was good for my self asteem and physical development.
If I were you I'd look to a style that can teach her real world skills as a female. Judo or aikido can be taken to the streets well in female self defense. Most street fights or self defence situations go to the ground. Being able to control someone in that situation can be life saving.
Lastly make sure the dojo she attends stresses the mental discipline aspect as much as the physical instruction.

[Linked Image]
DCDAWGFAN #813441 09/30/13 02:14 PM
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
I had the same experience with my kids. I took some martial arts in the military, but these pop up dojos are nothing like that. It was buy a ghi, buy a belt, buy a book. I was unimpressed with any control or discipline the instructors showed. It kind of reminded me of soccer. No offense to serious soccer players, but the youth stuff is for the birds. No cheering, everyone wins, I remember my son asking me what the point was after his first "match".

DCDAWGFAN #813442 09/30/13 02:43 PM
Legend
Legend
I like your decision to have kids take an art. I studied a few, and highly recommend the one I advanced in which is aikido, Tomiki ryu. We had many women studying, some huge guys, as well as a mix of old and young, even a man who needed arm and leg braces. It is a circular form and requires technique to work. If you can find it, a book called The Dynamic Sphere can show a lot of the theory and moves. We taught this to police for weapon prevention and did workshops on rape prevention. I would like to hear about your choices.
Hope you have a sensei with honor and who teaches control.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
shadow67 #813443 09/30/13 03:53 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

It kind of reminded me of soccer. No offense to serious soccer players, but the youth stuff is for the birds. No cheering, everyone wins, I remember my son asking me what the point was after his first "match".

Not to derail the conversation because I like the martial arts advice that I'm getting... but I've coached and been around youth soccer for my daughter from 6 to 10 years of age and that has not been my experience at all...

We have plenty of cheering, we keep score, they know who won. Scores and records are posted on the league website for all to see.

My daughter played goalie in the second half on Saturday and gave up a few goals in a pretty lopsided loss.... She sulked to the sidelines after the game, grabbed a snack and went to sit by herself. As she was sitting there, very disappointed in herself, two of the other mothers went up to her to apologize.. For what? she asked... because our daughters stood around and gave you no help.. none of those goals were your fault....

After the game I told my girls that I was disappointed. I told them at the beginning of the year that I can handle losing, I just never wanted to get out-hustled and on this day, we got seriously out-hustled. I told them to come to practice tonight ready to hustle.. and they will.

As far as cheering, we allow and encourage cheering, the one thing we frown upon is parents yelling directions to the kids.. the kids need to learn to listen to and for the coach, not their parents.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #813444 09/30/13 04:30 PM
Legend
Legend
I studied Eugue-Ryu Karate for about 7 yyears, back in my 20's.

Japanese/Okinawan style. Very controlled, disciplined... very hard, punishing style. Emphasis on correct form through repetition. Shorun-Ryu, Isshin-Ryu, Eugue-Ryu, all are very closely-related styles. When we'd attend tournaments, you could spot your "cousins" a mile away... we all had a similar 'look' to our fighting. The "Ryu's" always dragged home a bunch of trophies with them, too.

Our class had enrollment from little kids to retirees. It was good for the kids to be interacting with the adults in class because they learned social skills along with their M.A. studies. During Kumite, they were always paired against each other, or against someone of similar age/body type.

More than the particular style of martial arts, is the competence of the instructors. My suggestion would be this: Do a little research on the classes available in your area, narrow your choice dow to a handfull (maybe 3 or 4), then contact them. Ask permission to monitor/observe a class or two in each of the dojos you've selected.

I guarantee you'll be able to tell which ones are worth the price of membership.

1. Is the dojo well-organized?
2. Is there discipline in the instruction?
3. Are the instructors attentive to the individual student? Correcting form problems, demonstrating proper technique, etc.
5. Do the kids get looks from the Black Belts, or are they farmed out to the Browns/Purples for basic lessons?

I trust you'll be able to know pretty clearly by the end of one or 2 sessions who's got their act together, and who doesn't. I mean, you were already involved in the kind of class I'd recommend, AND... you've already seen what you don't want-

Trust yourself.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #813445 09/30/13 05:00 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I've looked at several but never really OFFICIALLY studied any, so my opinion is just an uneducated opinion, but KUNG FU seemed very interesting and engaging. However as I understand it, it takes years to master.

In Central Ohio tae kwon do is the most common, which would make it easier to switch dojos if you felt they were not delivering. Also, if you want more of a disciplined self defense style I would avoid the competition dojos.

Hope that helps some.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I keep seeing the thread title and reading it as "Marital Arts", and my brains is like... does ANYBODY really have that down to an art??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

DCDAWGFAN #813447 09/30/13 06:48 PM
Legend
Legend
Check out the dojos yourself and see just what the instructors are teaching and what their philosophy is. My son did 3 years of Tae Kwando and really benefitted. There's a lot of carry over of the discipline and coordination into other sports....I think it really helped with hockey, football and wrestling. It's a shame that he had to cut it....football and wrestling take up all of his spare time. He's a stripe and a belt away from getting his black belt. The good thing about it is he can pick it back up whenever he wants.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
DCDAWGFAN #813448 09/30/13 07:54 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Check out Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I specifically practice it. But the gym I attend for MMA teaches this practice. Its a lot of yes sir and do exactly as the teacher/coach say etc. Great in giving kids self confidence and self defense. It also boils down to the person running the class.

That is a video from the owner of where I attend. He has a few videos check them out.

DCDAWGFAN #813449 09/30/13 11:54 PM
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Quote:

Quote:

It kind of reminded me of soccer. No offense to serious soccer players, but the youth stuff is for the birds. No cheering, everyone wins, I remember my son asking me what the point was after his first "match".

Not to derail the conversation because I like the martial arts advice that I'm getting... but I've coached and been around youth soccer for my daughter from 6 to 10 years of age and that has not been my experience at all...

We have plenty of cheering, we keep score, they know who won. Scores and records are posted on the league website for all to see.

My daughter played goalie in the second half on Saturday and gave up a few goals in a pretty lopsided loss.... She sulked to the sidelines after the game, grabbed a snack and went to sit by herself. As she was sitting there, very disappointed in herself, two of the other mothers went up to her to apologize.. For what? she asked... because our daughters stood around and gave you no help.. none of those goals were your fault....

After the game I told my girls that I was disappointed. I told them at the beginning of the year that I can handle losing, I just never wanted to get out-hustled and on this day, we got seriously out-hustled. I told them to come to practice tonight ready to hustle.. and they will.

As far as cheering, we allow and encourage cheering, the one thing we frown upon is parents yelling directions to the kids.. the kids need to learn to listen to and for the coach, not their parents.

I am glad you said that, I guess I just assumed that is how it was. My son was five and his coach played on the Brazilian National team. I thought that was awesome and he was an awesome coach. But something happened to his eye and he asked me to take over the team. Between the parents telling me what to do with their 5 year old all stars, and the refs telling me not to be so enthusiastic, I was at a loss. And yes, there were no goal, no score and both teams won at the end.

DCDAWGFAN #813450 10/01/13 12:06 AM
Legend
Legend
If you look for a dojo to take your daughter to, I would suggest asking to watch a session before you commit to anything. I would think that most people who teach the martial arts wouldn't have a problem with you watching how they teach. The good ones will probably respect you more as a parent because of it.

You could also then talk to some of the parents there and see what they feel their child is getting out of their time there, and see if it lines up with what you want.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
+1, great advice!

shadow67 #813452 10/01/13 12:20 AM
Legend
Legend
I stumble into some wisdom every once in a while.

Trust me ... it's entirely accidental.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
No worries. If step in it, stub yout toe, whatever — always wipes right off and I am still dumb as ever. Did you want weapons with this? Or is that like part of Purp's Marital Arts thread? That was scary in itself and my wife told me I had to take it. No belts earned, just punishment.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DCDAWGFAN #813454 10/01/13 09:01 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
My thoughts would be that 10 is too young, but kids vary, so...

For a girl, you will want one of the leverage arts such as Judo. Karate and similar are more power-based, women just can't use many of the techniques effectively.

Definitely watch the instructors for a class or two. Get a feel for how they make their money, it should be on instruction. Weapons are nothing more than glitzy crap to sell to chumps, if you want to carry a weapon, get a gun. If you're not gonna carry a 3-foot sword with you at all times, then don't practice with one.

Our style's creator considered the only acceptable weapon for training was the bo, or staff, because you might happen to have a decent size stick or rod laying around when you need to defend yourself. At that, we never, ever practiced with or saw one in the dojo.

A lot of these classes for kids are day-care with a difference, depends on what you're looking for.

DCDAWGFAN #813455 10/01/13 09:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you're in the DC area, I can give you information about a Tae Kwon Do class. They're very unique. They do not teach 'US Tae Kwon Do', but they teach traditional Korean. They teach the traditional form and specific self defense techniques. They also teach a bunch of cops in the Frederick area. To top all this off, they were cheap, as they state they are teaching to pass on the art, not to make money

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
ErikInHell #813456 10/02/13 08:29 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks but I moved to Raleigh, NC about 8 years ago, I just never changed my name. There is one of those places not far from me that claims to be cheap because they are doing it for the love of the art and not the profit, not sure what they teach though.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #813457 10/03/13 12:01 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I moved to Raleigh, NC about 8 years ago, I just never changed my name.

Really ? one letter was going to kill you ? .....

As far as Martial Arts... You would have to describe discipline. And what expectations of that word you would want your daughter to learn.

Most Sensi ( 'sensei ) Japanese Karate and Judo teachers

or Master... Kung Fu

manager.. boxing ... grappling coach...

All say they want to teach your child discipline...please do not associate discipline with morals....

I enjoy boxing and Brazilian jui jitsu ....

As far as daughters... I showed my 3 enough that most people who approach them with intentions of harm will find themselves wishing they had kept to themselves....

But most of all a ride on a bicycle or hike in the woods are good activities also....and a conceal to carry and pepper spray works wonders....

DCDAWGFAN #813458 10/03/13 12:12 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's a shame. I find I miss the live combat drills the most.

DeisleDawg #813459 10/03/13 02:03 AM
Legend
Legend
He probably figured that t would take another 7 years for people to realize that he was the same evil conservative ... and it just wasn't worth it.

Either that or he couldn't find the "N" key on the keyboard.

DCDAWGFAN #813460 10/03/13 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just buy her copies of The Karate Kid 1,2,and 3 and have her watch them every day,

Dont get her that Jackie Chan remake version. that one was fake

King

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
DCDAWGFAN #813461 10/03/13 11:05 AM
Legend
Legend
If I had to choose an art that I'd want to learn, my choice would probably boil down to two options: Jeet Kune Do (created by Bruce Lee) or Krav Maga (originated with the Israeli Defense Forces and is a combination of several arts)

Browns is the Browns

DeisleDawg #813462 10/03/13 12:10 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

You would have to describe discipline...... please do not associate discipline with morals....

Oh I do not intend for them to teach morals... discipline is self-control and work.. and I really don't expect them to TEACH her discipline, I expect them to enforce or require discipline. For example, you don't get the next belt just because you showed up and Dad wrote a check.. you get the next belt when you prove you have mastered the tasks.... you don't spend the hour that I'm paying for you to learn martial arts goofing off and talking and joking with your friends, etc...

I guess I would be looking for the dojo to reinforce a couple things I've already been trying to teach her... that to accomplish something takes hard work... and that you can work hard and have fun at the same time...

I hope that doesn't come across as too militant, I really do want it to be fun for her, I just don't want it to be an hour of extended day care... I want her to learn something and feel the satisfaction that comes with that accomplishment.

yebat' Putin
kingodawg #813463 10/03/13 12:31 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Just buy her copies of The Karate Kid 1,2,and 3 and have her watch them every day,

King

Am I the only person on the planet who actually liked the remake?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

King

Am I the only person on the planet who actually liked the remake?

Yes. Except that you didn't, you were just brainwashed into thinking you did.

#DontDrinkTheKoolAid

Browns is the Browns

DCDAWGFAN #813465 10/04/13 02:43 PM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I studied Muay Thai for over 7 years, won a few amature tournaments and fought in 3 different states.

I have sparred with many different other styles and was able to pick people apart because the of the defensive and offensive capabilities that Muay Thai offers. As self defense I think there is nothing more effective because you are simply trained to protect your "entire"body.

Also, I would say the majority of the UFC and MMA fighters use the Muay Thai as a base for striking because its so effective towards any style.

I have a newborn daughter and when she gets around 5, I will enroll her in both Muay Thai and BJJ so when she gets to college and needs to break a guys nose, (before she break his arm) she will have the knowledge to do so.

Few random thoughts

• If someone punches you, you can block it with your hands.
  • If someone kicks you, you can block it with your shins.
  • If someone is close range and don't have the distance to punch or kick, you can clinch(grab neck), knee and elbow.
  • Do you want to look cool? you can do spinning elbows and double flying knee combos (much more fancy stuff)
  • If you fight another Martial Arts, the base defense Muay Thai will keep you protected.
  • If you fight another Martial Arts, the base offense will allow you to produce more offense due to 8 limbs to strike from.
  • If you want to get in shape, your cardio is pushed to the limits.
  • If you want to work on your agility, your are taught the moves to increase your agility. (got to fight on your toes like boxing)
  • Are worried about getting hurt from power leg kicks? You have all type of tricky awesome things to protect yourself, lets say someone kicks like a mule, simply throw your elbow down and elbow their shin.(hurts very very much)
  • Are you worried that you need to protect yourself? A Muay Thai base does not require you to do fancy stances or fancy moves that will leave you vulnerable (Think about someone doing an axe kick in a street fight)
  • Are you worried that you can't learn the thousands of Muay Thai techniques? You can simply learn a few defensive moves and you will protect yourself.
  • Are you worried about kicking someone with your foot and break your foot? Well in Muay Thai you kick with your shin, this way you can put more power and force in the kick and not break your foot.
  • Muay Thai was developed for War Fare

DCDAWGFAN #813466 10/04/13 02:47 PM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Also my perspective is from a amateur competitor, a kids class will have a completely different attitude and suited for kids. I just think that the base is more effective then any other Martial Art except for mabye Jeet Kun Do which was developed by Bruce Lee . (I still like my odds with Muay Thai over JKD)

Last edited by Lurker; 10/04/13 02:48 PM.
Lurker #813467 10/07/13 07:30 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lurker, I believe different people are suited to different styles. I think Tae Kwon Do would be better for me, as I am not quick nor agile. TKD deals with a lot of powerful punches, kicks, and blocks. We were also taught joint manipulations, and techniques that were not taught in US TKD. In a fight, I would attempt to end the fight as quickly as possible, as I know I won't outlast someone younger. If I can dislocate a knee, elbow, or shoulder, strike the throat or eyes, I am much better off.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Martial Arts

Link Copied to Clipboard