OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Author Tom Clancy, master of the modern-day thriller, dead at 66
By Alan Duke
updated 11:48 AM EDT, Wed October 2, 2013

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Tom Clancy's publisher says the author died in Baltimore on Tuesday
His 1984 novel "The Hunt for Red October" propelled him to fame, fortune and status
Other novels that became big movies included "Patriot Games," and "The Sum of All Fears"
"Command Authority," his last book, is due to be published in December

Tom Clancy is dead at age 66
Photos: People we lost in 2013 Photos: People we lost in 2013
(CNN) -- Spy thriller writer Tom Clancy, whose best-selling books became blockbuster films, has died, his publisher said Wednesday. He was 66.
Clancy's publisher, the Penguin Group, said the author died in Baltimore on Tuesday. The written statement did not indicate the cause of death.
Clancy's 1984 novel "The Hunt for Red October" propelled him to fame, fortune and status as a favorite storyteller of the American military. Sean Connery and Harrison Ford brought the Cold War drama to life in the big screen in 1990.
Other novels that became big movies included "Patriot Games" and "The Sum of All Fears."
The sometimes perilous business of spy thrillers
"I'm deeply saddened by Tom's passing," said Penguin executive David Shanks, who worked with Clancy on each of his novels, quoted in the company's statement. "He was a consummate author, creating the modern-day thriller, and was one of the most visionary storytellers of our time. I will miss him dearly and he will be missed by tens of millions of readers worldwide."
"Command Authority," his last book, is due to be published by G.P. Putnam's Sons in December, the company said. Putnam is an imprint of the Penguin Group.
"It was an honor to know Tom Clancy and to work on his fantastic books," said Ivan Held, president and publisher of G.P. Putnam's Sons. "He was ahead of the news curve and sometimes frighteningly prescient. To publish a Tom Clancy book was a thrill every time. He will be missed by everyone at Putnam and Berkley, and by his fans all over the world."
A Baltimore-born former insurance agent, Clancy was known for writing meticulous thrillers focusing on political intrigue and military tactics and technology.
Seventeen of his 28 books appeared on the New York Times best-sellers list, according to his website. Many of them reached the No. 1 spot.
His writings also provided the inspiration for the "Rainbow Six," "Ghost Recon" and "Splinter Cell," video game series.
His writing gained him a loyal following within the armed forces in the United States and abroad, giving him inside access that frequently informed the plots of his books. But in a 2003 CNN interview, Clancy said he was always careful not to reveal classified information or sensitive details of how the elite troops he often wrote about operated.
"I'll never decide for commercial reasons to put something in that endangers our national security. You just can't do that," he said in a 2003 CNN interview. "There was one thing, I discussed with a friend of mine in the Royal Navy. I told him a story I knew, and he said, 'Well, Tom, you may never repeat that, as long as you live.' And I haven't."

Man, I must have read Red Storm Rising 100 times back in the day .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
whaaaat

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Most unfortunate. I wonder if his games will continue to be made (Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, etc.).

Legend
Legend
Wow, there's a shocker. Didn't see that coming. RIP Tom

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Great author. He will be missed.

Legend
Legend
Sad news. Great author. RIP.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Sad, I read almost all of his books. He will be missed. I hope someone can take his place.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Just recently picked up his book called Without Remorse and so far its excellent. Can't wait to read more of his material. It's so sad when great authors die.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
I
IRE 45 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

It's so sad when great authors die.

It is sad for me because not only did the author die but all of his characters died with him . I felt the same way when Stephen Ambrose died because I really enjoyed his style of writing.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Don't read too many books, but the Jack Ryan movies are some of my favorites, and I grew up playing Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six.

Think about that, an impact with books, movies, and video games. We lost a good one.

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
That's sad. He will be missed. RIP TC.

And the next head coach is ......
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Tom Clancy Dead at 66

Link Copied to Clipboard