Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This could be kinda interesting. I have enjoyed "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" thus far, and Marvel makes some great superhero movies. A whole series of superhero series, tied together into one big series at the end could be kinda cool. Makes me feel like a kid again, actually.

Netfliz has also expressed a desire to become more of an "online network" as opposed to just handling content bought from other studios. I know that they have bought a few series already that they are producing for themselves.

This could really become an interesting business model as well.

Marvel Bringing Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, And Iron Fist To Netflix - Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2...ist-to-netflix/

Disney -Marvel and Netflix NFLX -2.66% today announced a joint venture to develop four new superhero series for Netflix’s streaming and DVD service. The characters included in the deal are Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. The Marvel-Netflix deal guarantees 13 episodes of each series, and a final team-up miniseries The Defenders featuring all four of the characters together. Daredevil will kick things off as the first series to release.

Will these shows tie into Marvel’s current television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the cinematic Marvel universe? No word on that yet, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t tie into the movies — tying together series on different networks/distributors is a bit trickier, so they might just remain mum on that front.

The deal is part of a broader arrangement between Disney-Marvel and Netflix, granting Netflix exclusive first-run subscription rights to Disney and Marvel live-action and animation from Disney and Marvel. With the global popularity of the Marvel films, and with Netflix expanding into more countries while likewise expanding its library of content — including with exclusivity deals like the one it signed with Disney and Marvel — as well as a growing lineup of original programming, the financial implications of the deal are eye-popping.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has enjoyed strong overall viewership, hitting a five-week high this Tuesday and ranking #1 for the evening among males 18-49 years of age, and ranking second-most-watched scripted show overall Tuesday. Data for streaming and recorded viewership shows the program’s total audience is even higher than pure TV ratings demonstrate.

We could see budgeting for these Marvel superhero series in the $5-10 million or more range per episode, depending on the level of effects involved in each show. Netflix has been willing to spend money to make money, simply put, including investing in top talents and high production values for their original programming. Of course, Netflix won’t be financing the shows alone, so how much could Disney-Marvel kick in? Disney and Marvel have tried hard — and succeeded — to tamp down on budgeting and keep costs a little lower whenever possible, and this project no doubt will see the same sort of frugality from the studios.

The new shows will begin airing in 2015, and the deal will spread the release of all four series over several years, similar to the approach with the Marvel films leading into the big team-up movie The Avengers in 2012.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Has S.H.I.E.L.D not been on the last couple weeks, haven't noticed it on my DVR list?

It's an OK show, not sure it will keep my attention, I think my veiwing laetly is more for Skye and Ming-Na.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Seeing things like this makes me so sad that DC still doesn't have their stuff together.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
That S.H.I.E.L.D. show is awful. Big let down for me after seeing all these great movies by Marvel/Disney.

I like the idea off these shows on Netflix but would be bummed if it meant we couldn't finally see a Daredevil movie done by Marvel. Same goes for Power Man & Iron Fist. Was hoping they'd make a Heroes for Hire movie.

Anyone see Thor 2 yet? I want to but won't til its in a $1 theater or on Redbox.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Seeing things like this makes me so sad that DC still doesn't have their stuff together.

Tell me about it. Meanwhile, they are going to cast someone as Wonder Woman and put her in the Batman vs Superman movie, which is also supposedly going to feature Nightwing. Maybe they can shoe-horn Aquaman in there too and make it even more crowded.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Has S.H.I.E.L.D not been on the last couple weeks, haven't noticed it on my DVR list?

It's an OK show, not sure it will keep my attention, I think my veiwing laetly is more for Skye and Ming-Na.

SHIELD had a one week vacation.

I like the show. I think that the problem for some is that it's not a "weekly Avengers" ..... but obviously it can't be.Overall, I enjoy it.

I have heard that there may be some more "name cameos", like the Nick Fury appearance. I have heard rumors of a visit by Thor and others.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Tell me about it. Meanwhile, they are going to cast someone as Wonder Woman and put her in the Batman vs Superman movie, which is also supposedly going to feature Nightwing. Maybe they can shoe-horn Aquaman in there too and make it even more crowded.

Last I heard was that Matt Damon was going to play Aquaman. There's so many things wrong with the upcoming Superman Vs. Batman that I just want it to be cancelled. Just thinking about it is making me grimace.

But at least Arrow is a pretty good TV show.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Matt Damon as Aquaman? *puke*

I don't get DC's casting sometimes. They were so spot on with casting Christian Bale in the Dark Knight series ....... and Superman was supposed to be well cast with Henry Cavill. (I haven't seen the Superman movie though) However, Ben Affleck just doesn't say "Batman" to me.

I dunno. Marvel has done really well casting some lesser known actors in some major roles. (Though Downey Jr wasn't a minor guy) Chris Evans was a solid guy, though not an everyday name ...... and Chris Hemsworth also wasn't a huge star.

Hmm ..... Christian Bale, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and add in Chris Pine as Kirk, and it's evident that casting a Chris is a huge key for success. Of course, as a Chris, I might be biased.

Edit to add: I watched Arrow for the first time the other night. It was decent. Maybe it just has to grow on me. I have added it to my DVR list for now though.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 11/08/13 01:00 PM.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Matt Damon as Aquaman? *puke*

I don't get DC's casting sometimes. They were so spot on with casting Christian Bale in the Dark Knight series ....... and Superman was supposed to be well cast with Henry Cavill. (I haven't seen the Superman movie though) However, Ben Affleck just doesn't say "Batman" to me.

I dunno. Marvel has done really well casting some lesser known actors in some major roles. (Though Downey Jr wasn't a minor guy) Chris Evans was a solid guy, though not an everyday name ...... and Chris Hemsworth also wasn't a huge star.

Hmm ..... Christian Bale, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and add in Chris Pine as Kirk, and it's evident that casting a Chris is a huge key for success. Of course, as a Chris, I might be biased.

Edit to add: I watched Arrow for the first time the other night. It was decent. Maybe it just has to grow on me. I have added it to my DVR list for now though.

DC is trying to use big names to draw more attention to their movies which is dumb because people who aren't going to see Batman are the same people who aren't going to see Batman no matter what. That said they have hit the nail on the head a few times with big names such as Christian Bale, the last two cat womans, and now they have Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor which is great. I'd love to see Idris Elba play Green Lantern though.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
I've tried watching SHIELD and just can't get into it. I want to. Just haven't been able to.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Yeah, SHIELD has been decent, but I was hoping for a lot more. I usually love anything that Joss Whedon does. This seems a little under par for him though.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Yeah, SHIELD has been decent, but I was hoping for a lot more. I usually love anything that Joss Whedon does. This seems a little under par for him though.

that's because Joss isn't really doing it.

he handed it over to Jed and he gets executive producer title to it but by all accounts has been pretty hands-off (he directed one episode just so that he could say he was involved). bait-n-switch to setup family. can't say I blame him.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Random replies . . .

Cranston is NOT signed up for Lex Luthor. Not saying he WON'T but as of right now it is all just a rumor started by people who can only list actors they've seen with a bald head. My vote is still for Mel Gibson.

There's no way in HECK Matt Damon is ever playing Aquaman.

I wasn't expecting S.H.I.E.L.D. to be The Avengers every week. What I expected was the same blend of drama & comedy I get in the Marvel movies & what we got was like 90% witty banter & corny one-liners. Other than Agent Coulson & the Asian chick that used to be on E.R., the other main characters are so boring and forgettable. The one woman who is the hacker is very attractive, but that doesn't make up for anything. On top of all that, I know it's a TV show, but it still looks way too cheap for Disney. the episode when they were down in South America looked like a show I'd see on Nickelodeon. I gave it 4 episodes and bailed . . .

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Thanks logo, I didn't realize that. It didn't really seem up to Joss stantards.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No ideal who these people are ...... but ..... here they are anyway ......

I wonder if they'll be good enough for me to re-up my Netflix subscription?

Netflix's Marvel Shows Tap Drew Goddard, Melissa Rosenberg
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/13/netflix-marvel-shows-writers_n_4266413.html

Two of Netflix's Marvel shows, "Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones," have tapped scribes.

According to The Wrap, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" veteran Drew Goddard will helm "Daredevil" for Netflix/Disney. Goddard's other credits include "Alias," "Lost" and "Cabin In The Woods." Meanwhile, The Holly Reporter has Melissa Rosenberg behind the story of Jessica Jones. Rosenberg recently worked on ABC's "Red Widow" and previously developed a series around the Marvel character for ABC when the project was called "AKA Jessica Jones."

"Daredevil" follows a blind lawyer in Hell's Kitchen, New York who gets heightened senses following an accident. "Jessica Jones" tells the story of a superhero who gives up her costume and becomes a private investigator.

Goddard previously told Collider about his interest in the character. "You’re talking to a guy who had quotes from Daredevil painted on his walls growing up," he said. "When I was 18 I still had the blood-red door with the ‘I have shown him that a man without hope is a man without fear,’ that was what I love. If we can find the right project, I’d love to do it.”

Four new Marvel shows will debut on Netflix. Aside from Jessica Jones and Daredevil, shows following Luke Cage and Iron Fist will hit the streaming service and the four heroes will join forces for a "Defenders" miniseries.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty," Alan Fine, president of Marvel Entertainment, said in a statement when the shows were announced. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

By the way, next week's SHIELD is supposed to have a tie in with the new Thor movie of some sort.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I wonder what the residual effect of the worst Marvel movies made in the last 10 years will have on a Daredevil series (DD and Elektra). I mean, they were wretched.

done correctly, DD could be cool, but it'll be real hard to keep it from being cheesy.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I would like to see Daredevil be a courtroom centered drama that uses his skills as Daredevil to help solve cases. I thought that was the way the original comic was set up, with him as the defender of the innocent and the powerless, both in an out of the courtroom.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Marvel has so many threads of comic book heroes that they likely had that in one of them.

The DD comics I remember were where he fought tooth-n-nail in the courtroom to put the bad guys away and, when that failed, he went into costume to take care of the bad guys as DD outside the courtroom.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
With his super-hearing he could tell if someone was lying in court by the rhythm of their pulse. If a bad guy got away, he'd go get 'em later.

If they're making this stuff for Netflix, I wonder if we could ever get an R-Rated Punisher show. How cool would that be . . . ?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Oh, I thought Cranston already signed off on it. I hope it's him then. I'm not sure why Mel Gibson should play Lex as he hasn't done anything good in years.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thought I'd dig this thread up for the newest trailer for Daredevil on Netflix, coming April 10. Looks promising.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24220/marvels_daredevil_battles_for_hells_kitchen_in_new_trailer

The battle for the soul of Hell's Kitchen has begun in the latest trailer for "Marvel's Daredevil," only on Netflix April 10!

Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) matches fists with the criminal element and wits with Wilson Fisk (Vincent D'Onofrio) in the action-packed preview for Marvel's first 13-episode Netflix original series. Plus get a new look at Karen (Deborah Ann Woll), Foggy (Elden Hensen), Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson), Stick (Scott Glenn), and more!

While you wait for April 10 to roll around, follow @Daredevil on Twitter and like "Marvel's Daredevil" on Facebook for all the news on the Man Without Fear.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Dsney/Marvel/Netflix Deal to Bring Heroes to Small Screen

Link Copied to Clipboard