Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#830601 12/14/13 04:55 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
An interesting article that was posted on the other board.

Developing talent

It took eight weeks for cornerback Leon McFadden to gain enough trust from Ray Horton to play one down. It required another month of prep work to earn more than two snaps in a game.

As some Browns fans wondered if their third-round draft pick would ever see the field, McFadden was attending 7:30 a.m. meetings for reserve defensive backs and staying after practice to hone his footwork and technique with position coaches.

It’s been a humbling apprenticeship, one which has included buying sunflower seeds and coffee for a group of young defensive backs that convenes before the veterans arrive at the facility. It’s not glamorous stuff, but player development rarely is.

“I believe you’re accountable to your teammates and I have to be able to trust you,” said Horton, the Browns defensive coordinator. “(McFadden) has that now. He has my trust to go into a game, he’s prepared hard, he’s worked hard and he’s earned his chance to play.”

Every 53-man roster is divided into two groups – the one fans see regularly on Sundays and the one striving to be seen. While most attention is paid to starters and key reserves, successful franchises identify and cultivate talent in that second group. Organizations like Baltimore, Pittsburgh and New England have been plugging in players for years.

The Browns have been too busy losing and changing regimes to establish much continuity. But Horton, who spent seven seasons with the Steelers, has witnessed the value of player development.

“I think, really when you base a winning franchise on something, it’s probably a system,” he said. “The players come in, you try to get players to match your system and you try to get good, smart players that are somewhat interchangeable, because at some point somebody is going to get hurt or they’re going to graduate to another team or retirement. That’s the life blood of your team is getting good, young players to come in and play.”

The Browns brain trust, including Michael Lombardi, Ray Farmer and Joe Banner, has been aggressive in making waiver claims. But their decision not to act quickly on acquiring a backup quarterback drew criticism.

As McFadden readies for his first true test Sunday in New England against the Patriots, the Browns continue to work with others reserves and troll for talent in the waiver pool and on the practice squads of other teams. The bottom of the roster remains in a constant state of flux as players are signed, cut and sometimes re-signed – think receiver Tori Gurley.

This practice has drawn some criticism, especially in recent weeks as the Browns, who at one point had 12 offensive linemen on the roster, did not immediately add a quarterback after Brian Hoyer suffered a season-ending knee injury Oct. 3. Concussions to Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden in consecutive weeks forced the team to hurriedly acquire Alex Tanney and Caleb Hanie, who have had little prep time with the Browns. The club is fortunate that Campbell has been cleared to return and will play Sunday.
But look for the organization to stay aggressive in the waiver market even as management concedes it will miss a lot more times than it hits on such players.

Browns CEO Joe Banner said the Eagles, his former employer the past two decades, did a study several years ago tracking the NFL entry point of Pro Bowlers. Not surprisingly, most came from players selected in a draft’s first round. The next group was second rounders. After that, however, the third wave was undrafted free agents.

It’s believed the Browns view defensive back Jordan Poyer, who’s now returning punts, as a legitimate prospect. They’re also eager to get safety Josh Aubrey (ankle) and guard Chris Faulk (knee) ready for next season.

The club claimed Poyer off waivers Oct. 21 from Philadelphia, who drafted him in the seventh round. Aubrey and Faulk were part of the initial cluster of undrafted free agents signed in April.

“It’s a matter of going out and finding it, bringing it in the house even though it’s a little dusty and dirty,” Browns assistant general manager Ray Farmer said of acquiring lesser-known talent. “The coaches dust it off and polish it up. One day you come in the house and say, ‘That’s a good looking piece of furniture there. Where did you get it?’ It’s a matter of uncovering things others don’t want to uncover.”

Sometimes, teams must also work to polish the skills of players they drafted.

Taking a step back

Unlike baseball, hockey and basketball, there is no minor league for NFL teams to incubate prospects. So when McFadden fell behind in training camp due to a groin injury and played poorly in exhibition games against Indianapolis and Chicago, the Browns chose the remedial route rather than exposing him in the regular season.

“There’s a confidence level involved,” secondary coach Louie Cioffi said. “You don’t want your guys to go out there and not succeed because the damage cannot be overturned.”

The Browns' best success rate has come at their deepest position -- defensive line. Seventh-round pick Armonty Bryant has been eased into the rotation and shown flashes of quality play. The secondary has been better than anticipated and the development of cornerback Buster Skrine has mitigated the struggles of McFadden.

Some assumed the San Diego State product would beat out Skrine and Chris Owens in training camp. But the injury coupled with technique flaws took him out of the competition. The 5-foot-9, 195-pounder said he’s worked to improve his acceleration out of breaks and defending against three-step drops by quarterbacks.

“It’s been eyes forward, run my race and compete every day to try to get back on the field somehow,” McFadden said.

Beyond extra practice reps, he’s among the early-rising defensive backs who meet in small groups with Cioffi and his assistant Bobby Babich. Each week a different youngster is charged with the task of supplying coffee and sunflower seeds.

The meetings are informal and free flowing. Coaches preview the day ahead and answer questions the reserves might feel too inhibited to ask in front of veterans.

“They can get a jump on what’s going on, what they’re working on for the day, but it’s much more interactive, much more user friendly,” Cioffi said.

Each position group offers similar opportunities. Assistant offensive line coach Mike Sullivan said his prospects get an addition 25 minutes of on-field work before adjourning to the film room where coaches critique their scout-team effort against the first-unit defense.

For offensive lineman Reid Fragel, signed off Cincinnati’s practice squad on Oct. 29, the bonus time is important as he tries to learn a new system.

Poyer made a similar observation. He felt overwhelmed a week after arriving in Berea. The All-America cornerback from Oregon State has had a difficult year, one that included a May arrest for second-degree trespassing after an incident at a campus bar.

But the 6-foot, 191-pound defensive back has made an impression with the Browns. Several veterans said he’s been noticeable in practice and last week he contributed a 38-yard punt return in the 32-28 loss to Jacksonville.

“I expect myself to be able to go out there and make plays when my name is called,” Poyer said. “I don’t fear anything when I go out on the football field because at the end of the day it’s just a game.”

Opportunity knocks

In a league with large rosters, young players don’t need to look hard for inspiration. Poyer points to undrafted free agent safety Tashaun Gipson. While in Cincinnati, Fragel learned the story of center Kyle Cook, who went from practice-squad player to starter.

The Browns had a success story slip through their grasp earlier in the season. They claimed running back Bobby Rainey off waivers from Baltimore on Sept. 1 only to release him six weeks later.

Rainey has rushed for 306 yards in four games with Tampa Bay. Maybe the second-year back won’t remain productive, but he’s helped the Buccaneers win three times without costing them a draft pick or substantial free-agent money.

Browns tight end Jordan Cameron, who spent two seasons as a reserve, said it’s what prospects do when the coaches aren’t watching that’s so important.

“You’ve got to buy into the process,” Cameron said. “It’s hard sometimes and it’s not always going to go your way. These last couple years have been a grind. You’re waiting and wondering, ‘Am I going to get my chance?’

“The main thing is working when you don’t want to do it. When you’re body hurts and you’re tired. You’ve got to prepare for your opportunity.”

It’s here now for McFadden, who played 10 snaps against Pittsburgh and a season-high 31 snaps last week – most of them coming before the Browns lost Owens to a season-ending knee injury.

“Is it hard for certain positions because of what it takes to play mentally or physically?” Horton asked rhetorically. “It can be, and I believe defensive back is because if you make a mistake it’s always points or yards. So for me it’s a very critical position to be trusted and be accountable and he’s earned that now.”

V
Legend
Legend
V
I like how this staff brings in the young players for early morning meetings. That's very wise in terms of developing your players.

I was also fairly impressed w/the three young guys who played in the defensive backfield last week. McFadden, Poyer, and Posey [I think that is his name,]

McFadden didn't get picked on. He needs to get a little quicker out of his breaks, but he had solid coverage for the most part. I did see him float out into space on one play when the receiver broke a route off. I liked his technique and he is a solidly built guy w/decent speed.

Poyer seems like a pretty tough kid and both he and the other guy [Posey?] have that quick-twitch motor skills that most of our other safeties lack. I think that is important. Should be interesting to see these guys moving forward.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Poyer or Posey...not sure but I think one is from Ohio State U the other Oregon.

Do you see one of them being a future FS - Gipson has developed nicely as a UDFA it would be nice to get some good competition and we do need that young Adam type Coverage Safety for the Nickel - to take on those speedy RBs when they line up as a WR in the passing game.

I think outside of our ST we have one of the finest staff assembled here since Mangini who I don't care about debating but his staff was pretty darn good. Warhop btw is still here.

But it seems like these young kids are getting taught up and we have developed so many.
Gipson, Skrine, Sheard, Taylor, Winn, Rubin even DQ into the new system. I think also we have maybe one of the best WR coaches we have had - as a group they seem very disciplined.

I know many are looking forward to us spending on FA to fill the gaps...but outside of a special few that will fill in the young 2nd contract that are just arriving on the scene. I don't think we go after a lot of FA...we have never had so many 1st n 2nd rounders sticking and still showing progress to their potential before. We have never had this many mid to late rounders actually looking like starters as they develop.

We have finally arrived and are a lot closer to being a consistent playoff contender than most think. I hope our Coaching staff stays together for at least one more year (specifically Horton).

oh and I won't cry if we fire Tabor...I cannot remember the special teams playing into several losses as has been this year and its the execution (example the onside kick just last week - we only had one guy making an attempt and fighting for that ball. The blocked punts...just too many fundamental mishaps.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
LIke the article,, thanks for posting it Scott

anyway, among the many things that stuck out to me, this was something that may work well for us with a QB later:

Quote:

“There’s a confidence level involved,” secondary coach Louie Cioffi said. “You don’t want your guys to go out there and not succeed because the damage cannot be overturned.”

I get the feeling that we did that to more than one player since we returned in 1999. It really would be nice to have a QB around so that if we take a young guy in the draft, he has time to learn/grow/build rather than be thrown in to the deep end and told to sink or swim..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Poyer is from Oregon State and Posey is from Ohio University, a MAC school located in Athens, Ohio.

I haven't seen enough of them to be sure, but I remember Poyer from college. He played corner. He had some big games and some were talking about him as a second rounder. I think he put up poor measureables at the Combine. He has pretty good ball skills and did better in zone coverage rather than man. I clicked on a couple of old scouting reports and they disagreed on his physicality and tackling. He looked pretty physical the other day though.

Posey, I really don't know anything about. He also was a corner. Walther's had him ranked 46th in that draft. Skrine was the 19th ranked cb, btw. Posey ran a 4,48 40. Some other reports said he wasn't a man guy but was better in zone. Not real physical.

Both guys have experience as corners. That's a plus. I noticed that both were playing safety while they moved Ward to LBer in that NE game.

Poyer looks the more promising of the two. Not sure he is starting material, but you need dime guys. And again, I liked the quick twitch motor skills.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I just remembered something. Posey is the older brother of DeVier Posey, the former Ohio State WR. I remember when they squared off in a game a few years ago.

Wow! Surprised I never made that connection earlier.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Just from the one game alone, ignoring the crap calls - I would line up Poyer on someone before I would assign Owens to that. Owens and Roberston are the people the QB's look for pre-snap to see if they are going to get single coverage from those two guys. If so, well then the decision is already made where the QB going to throw the ball to.

Poyer was physical. When he popped Edleman I believe it was on the TD catch, I was quite surprised he hung onto the ball.

A little read/interview on him I saw on Cleveland.com, I will dig up the link:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/small-town_jordan_poyer_hopes.html

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I think most people would agree that we need better players/play/depth at CB/S and the OL. To that end, we have a slew of very young DBs and OL on the 53 man roster.

The light has finally come on for McFadden enough for him to get on the field - he played well last week. I noticed Poyer & Posey in a positive way. Aubrey was looking like a contributor before his injury. We still have Slaughter on the PS rehabbing an injury.

The FO brought in a lot of guys - but not game-ready free agents - in a show of exactly where they said we were...evaluation mode. Skrine is now a solid CB2 and may be on his way to being very good there. Opinions vary of Gipson, but Horton talks up the guy. If McFadden can quickly get to the point of being a more-than-serviceable CB3, we are set at DB with a dime guy or two...and those guys may already be on the team. (Not to mention very young back there.)

For some reason we are carrying a slew of OL on the 53 man - ten today , but 11 for much of the year. They must see something there. Gilkey, Fragel, Wallace on the 53...the former 11th OL P Lewis now on the PS...and Faulk on IR.

Pinkston started rotating with Lavaou last week before Greco got hurt.

They are hanging on to a lot of guys here and Faulk gets a lot of good comments for a guy out two years with an injury.

That new G or RT we sometimes wish-for may be on the team right now. I'll admit I'm less excited about the developmental guys on the OL than I am about the DBs...but there may be something there to work with.

The same can be said at the WR position with Benjamin and Johnson on IR to go along with the guys now on the 53.

I'm perplexed about the depth at RB and ILB...but there are only so many spots available.

How important would it be for us to have what we need at DB - and very young there as well? And/or to get one (Pinky?) or two new starters at OL from guys already on the team - and very young there as well. (Echo?)

We very-well could go into free agency needing one G (or not), an ILB, WR2, and RB as our biggest needs not called QB...and then follow that with 10 draft picks - with 5 of the first 96 picks in the draft becoming Browns.

A lot of 'ifs'...I know...but certainly reasonable.

Legend
Legend
DeVier Posey popped into my head when OSU was mentioned, but I also never realized that he and Jordan Posey are brothers.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Working to develop talent

Link Copied to Clipboard