Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Cleveland Browns have discussed holding a minicamp, preseason game or scrimmage in Columbus

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Browns might have interest in staging a minicamp, exhibition game or scrimmage in the state capital.

Those are some of the ideas that have discussed in brainstorming sessions involving the Browns and a Columbus sports agency.

“The Cleveland Browns have talked to the Greater Columbus Sports Commission about multiple opportunities together,” GCSC executive director Linda Shetina Logan said last week. “For instance, could we host a minicamp in Columbus? Could there be an exhibition game here? Could we feature the coaches as part of our annual event, a town hall meeting, 'The Morning Sports Report.'

“I think there are a lot of opportunities to work with the team in Columbus. There are a lot of fans here that embrace the Browns. We think there are a lot of opportunities to work together in the future.”

Logan was told any out-of-town practices or scrimmage would require the head coach’s approval. Browns fan engagement director Kevin Griffin said last month the sides are still “fleshing out” ideas with Columbus officials.

The city has ties with Cleveland's other two pro franchises. The Indians’ Triple-A farm club, the Clippers, plays at Huntington Park. The Cavaliers hold an annual exhibition in the city, as well.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/columbus_sports_agency_and_cle.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Personally, I think this is a great idea. Maybe some people in Columbus can clarify for me, but largely, I thought the city to be pretty much split down the middle between Bengals/Browns' fans and this may be an effort to build a larger footprint in the state capital.

I really hope they move on this and make it a regular thing.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Actually, from my days in Columbus (haven't lived there since 99), the city was split really 3 ways. Browns, Bengals, Steelers.

To the topic, I think it would be a great move to do something down there. You can hit a few things...fans in Cincy/Dayton can see a Browns function in person without spending the day driving. You get the folks in central Ohio a reason to come out and see the Browns and you give the fans in northern Ohio a day trip. Columbus Crew Stadium would probably be a great venue for some type of exhibition game, not sure, never seen a game there.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
hey, if they hold a preseason game in Columbus, does that mean all the Cleveland season ticket holders do not have to pay full price for that game? double-bonus for you guys.

#gmstrong
J
Legend
Legend
J
They did this before. It was at the Columbus Crew Stadium. I think it was a scrimmage. Not sure about the team, I think it was the Colts. Anyway, it was fun, and the players were giving lots of autographs and talking to the fans.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I live like 5 miles from Crew Stadium, I would absolutely go to this.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I would also go to this. Definitely a lot better than making that longer drive up to Berea.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think it is a good idea. I don't see them playing pre-season games away from the stadium, but we could scrimmage a team. We have held controlled practices/ scrimmages with other teams in the past. I know we have done it with the Bills before and believe we have done it with the Bears.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Well, they have been unable to increase their fan base with their play, may as well try it with regional visits and PR stunts.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Well, they have been unable to increase their fan base with their play, may as well try it with regional visits and PR stunts.

You've gotta start somewhere...

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
D
Legend
Legend
D
I have no qualms with that. Good idea I think actually!

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I do think it's funny that if the NFL were to start from scratch today, there would probably only be one NFL team in Ohio, and it would be in Columbus. Maybe we can merge Cinci/Cleveland someday into Columbus and have a halfway decent team... one can only dream...

In reality, this makes a lot of sense to do. I think even a pre-season game makes a ton of sense. A pre-season game at the shoe? More seats to potentially fill in a market that you're trying to win... seems like a no brainer to me.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Investing in Columbus.....I like it!

Cleveland Browns put up billboard in Columbus featuring new head coach Mike Pettine

It may have taken the Browns almost four weeks to hire a new head coach, but it didn't take them very long to feature him on a billboard.

The Browns have put up a billboard in Columbus featuring new head coach Mike Pettine with the quote, "We're going to be the toughest team on the field."

During his introductory press conference, Pettine promised the Browns would be tough on the field.
“My vision here in Cleveland, having spent time in Baltimore, to compete in the AFC North you have to be willing to bloody your nose a little bit,'' he said. "I think that’s the mentality that we’re going to take here. This team is going to be built on toughness.... to hang tough when things go bad, that the heads don’t drop and that same old Browns, and teams talk themselves into losing. That to me is the culture that needs to be changed here."

The Browns tapping into the Columbus market shouldn't be a surprise to fans. The organization has discussed holding a minicamp, preseason game or scrimmage in the state capital.

Central Ohio represents an NFL battleground market, one within 185 miles of four franchises: Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts. What do you think of the new billboard? Should more billboards be placed around Ohio? Read some of the reaction from social media and voice your opinion in the comments section below.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._special-report

Tackles are tackles.
N
Legend
Legend
N
do you want to know how to win Columbus? actually change the culture instead of talking about it.

it's not his fault, but we've heard the talk with each new coach. I think we are more talented than we have been at any point since the Return. so, now I want to see that translate into success on the field.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well, you change the culture by actually making changes that are visible ....... so that's why I am all for changing uniforms, where we have camp, and so on. Those little changes convey the message that things are, indeed, changing. As I believe you would say though, they then have to follow up the small changes with substantial changes that move the team in a successful direction.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm in Columbus and the football fans here are split between the Bungals, Squeelers, and Browns. It seems that the majority are Browns fans while the other two teams fight for the remaining people. I think a pre-season game would be cool at Crew Stadium and it would definitely attract my attendance. If it was only a practice or scrimage, though, I wouldn't go to that. They wouldn't have to worry about appealing to the type of fan I am, though, because I'm already hooked. Perhaps, coming down here for something simple like a scrimmage would be good enough to attract some new fans.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Cleveland fans are easily in the majority here in C-Bus.

I would love for them to have a preseason game here. LOVE it.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I would never go to a preseason game in Cleveland because I live in Columbus. However if a preseason game was here I would go for sure.

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
I'm in favor of moving a preseason game to Columbus. Not because I want to go, but because I wouldn't have to pay for the game in my season ticket package. This is also why they won't move a preseason game to Columbus, because who will actually pay full price for that?

I would love to have a free practice or scrimmage or something in my backyard. I'd go to that.

Original Dawg Talkers Pick'ems Champion

Dawg Talk Member Since: 08/24/01
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cleveland Browns' Preseason Games/Practices in Columbus

Link Copied to Clipboard