“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Agree with you on Jack Del Rio. He's only 50, with 8 years HC experience. He's worked for Ditka, Billick, and Fox. Career record is just under .500 - with Jacksonville. He should be considered, imo.

Dave #842061 01/20/14 08:12 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have a feeling Mike Pettine is the guy. The more I find out about him, the more I like him. I think he can become our Bill Cower. Intense guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I don't infer, I say it or I don't...

You know the meaning of 'infer', right?

In case you don't, here's your word of the day: infer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have a feeling Mike Pettine is the guy. The more I find out about him, the more I like him.

I like your line of thinking, 'Peen. My concern is that if he is indeed our guy, we could have had him signed, sealed, and delivered by now. I can't believe we are waiting this long if he is our guy. Possibly this means that either Gase or Quinn are our true targets...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
CHSDawg #842064 01/20/14 08:33 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

It's about time to interview Greg Roman.

QFT. 2 weeks to review the bad Quinn decision.

What don't you like about Quinn?

Sorry that I don't go back & look. Another thread 80% bogged down with pointless bickering.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I've read two different-sourced comments that his players really play hard for him. Fiery guy, just what we need here. DC, runs a 3-4 or a variant. I like him a lot.

His name rhymes with "sweatin'". not with, well, "peen". The "e" is silent.

He's been called back for a second interview, apparently his daughter tweeted something about possibly moving to Cleveland, and didn't seem real happy about it.

Now that we are faced with two weeks for Gase, with a chance to talk with him this week, I think the decision process will speed up a bit. Although, I'm wondering what the odds are Peyton wins the SB, decided to retire on a high note, and Gase suddenly becomes available. I like that Pettine has had a top 10 D everywhere he's been.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[quote Another thread 80% bogged down with pointless bickering.

Do you really want to go there... what kind of bickering was done when H&H were here?

You thnk we didnt bicker when they went 4 -12 5 -11 every year and now you wnat to bicker about bickering without giving these new guys a chance..

Unbelievebale.

JK... sorry could not resist... actually i agree with you 100%

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Now that we are faced with two weeks for Gase, with a chance to talk with him this week, I think the decision process will speed up a bit. Although, I'm wondering what the odds are Peyton wins the SB, decided to retire on a high note, and Gase suddenly becomes available. I like that Pettine has had a top 10 D everywhere he's been.

If Gase's decison rest on what Manning does, then IMO he his not ready to be a HC, it makes it seem like he wuld not be all in. If he needs a security blanket then best we walk away and search elsewhere.

For the record I wouod prefer Quinn or Pettine (sp). I want a D minded coach.

#gmstrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
Browns methodical coaching search may take another two weeks

The Morning Kickoff …

The waiting game: Now what do the Browns do?

Their presumed top two choices for head coach are going to the Super Bowl. Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase is 1A. Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is 1B.

By rule, both can be interviewed during the coming Super Bowl bye week if their teams give permission – but the job can’t be offered.

Gase, playing hard to get, has previously declined to interview until the Broncos are done playing. It’s a commendable position, but, really, it’s time for Gase to quit the games and decide if he wants to be considered or not. It’s either yes or no. Make a decision. Fourth-and-2. You going for it or punting?

Quinn already has interviewed once and probably will consent to a second interview.

Quinn has a few advantages over Gase.

1. When a team fires a coach so abruptly as the Browns did, it usually seeks to replace him with a polar opposite personality. Rob Chudzinski was an offensive coach. Quinn is from the defensive side. Chudzinski was not a dominant personality. Quinn can be a dominant personality. Gase is a wallflower, as was Chudzinski (publicly) and Pat Shurmur.

2. In two coaching searches, Jimmy Haslam has been turned down more times than a beggar on a downtown street corner. Gase’s attitude has got to be a turnoff. Quinn has been much more accommodating and pleasing.

The Browns now have to decide whether to wait two weeks for both candidates to finish their business with their present teams or to turn to Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who appears to be a facsimile of Quinn. Or to Dallas special teams coach Rich Bisaccia, who has some SEC ties and twice interviewed for positions at Haslam’s beloved University of Tennessee.

Or maybe the Browns expand this “methodical” search to San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman or San Francisco special teams guru Brad Seely (more qualified than Bisaccia).

Or maybe the Browns expand the search to the college ranks and find somebody to agree with them that Johnny Manziel can stay healthy and win in the AFC North and complete a pass in 10 degrees temperatures and 20 mph winds in December.

The problem for the Browns is that the Senior Bowl workouts in Mobile, AL, are this week. Besides being a pre-combine preview of draft-eligible college talent, the Senior Bowl is a renowned coaches convention, where out-of-work coaches converge to “network” for new jobs.

I don’t want to overplay the “assembling a coaching staff” angle, but the last two coaching hires in 2013 were made on Jan. 17 (Gus Bradley by Jacksonville and Bruce Arians by Arizona). So the Browns already are past that date.

Things we learned from the championship games

* Josh McDaniels is no offensive genius: Let’s hope McDaniels doesn’t have a change of heart and calls the Browns about revisiting their interest in him as head coach. He is so unqualified to take over a team again, it’s discouraging the Browns even considered him seriously.

McDaniels is only 37, so he has time on his side to rebuild a reputation that was tarnished as coach of the Denver Broncos for 28 games in 2009 and 2010. If the Patriots envision McDaniels as Bill Belichick’s successor, McDaniels ought to sign up for that right now. And good luck after Tom Brady retires.

When comparing McDaniels to Denver’ Gase, the similarities are that they are young and have the good fortune of caddying for future Hall of Fame quarterbacks. But there is a major difference in their resumes.

Gase has worked for a variety of head coaches: Nick Saban, Steve Mariucci, Dick Jauron, Rod Marinelli, Mike Singletary, McDaniels, and John Fox. Those varied mentors help to broaden Gase’s experience.

McDaniels is typecast as a Belichick lackey -- 11 years under him. His only other experience was one dreadful 2-14 season under St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo.

If McDaniels truly wanted to expand his career, he would seek another position under a new head coach to prove he can prosper without Belichick. Otherwise, stay with the Patriots.

* Denver will win the Super Bowl: Take the Seahawks away from Seattle and they are a good, not great, team. Peyton Manning can win anywhere.

Russell Wilson? I don’t think so. He’s a fantastic little quarterback, but he doesn’t have the receivers to compete with Manning’s arsenal.

There will be a lot of talk about Seattle’s top-ranked defense going against Denver’s top-ranked offense. Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman will do a lot of the talking. In the end, offense will prevail. My early take is that Denver will win by two scores.\

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=27671

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I don't infer, I say it or I don't...

You know the meaning of 'infer', right?

In case you don't, here's your word of the day: infer

Yes, I know the meaning of Infer..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

--I was very impressed by Denver's game plan yesterday. They had NE off balance all day long. I think that Gase is very, very bright. The negative is that he it appears that he is giving us the cold shoulder. That bothers me, but again, it could be that the media is off-target again.

--I thought McDaniels had a good game plan. I have never seen Brady miss so many easy throws. Was he sick?

--Quinn is a guy I like. He has experience in several different settings and I like that he is a tougher guy. I truly believe that our team is mentally soft after having played for Passive Pat and the laid-back Chud. You could see it late in games and especially late in the season. We were soft.

--Pettine seems to be a lot like Quinn and his defensive record is pretty impressive.

--I don't like Roman. His offenses under-achieve in SF. That team is loaded, yet they still lay eggs, just like yesterday.

--A couple of guys mentioned Del Rio. I was thinking about him, too. He had some success in Jax when his team had talent. He did a good job this year while Fox was out. He is a good defensive coach. Strong personality.

--The tough thing w/coordinators is that while they might be very good coordinators, they might not be HC material. Very hard to tell.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, this is a perfect setup, IF indeed Gase and Quinn are our main targets. They virtually "play" against each other in THE championship game, so if we want a good, CC caliber coach, I'd give it to the one "winning" this matchup (and no, it's not necessarily about the final score or outcome, just DC vs OC battle).

May the best Coordinator win….and become the next Browns HC. I really don't mind any of the two or even Pettine. It's not about WHO we hire that will make or break it for me, but the HOW we proceed from there.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
R
Legend
Legend
R
--To your first and last points....I have an employee that works for me who I beat out to get my current job. She is my best employee and the person I lean on the most with difficult assignments. She always comes through with a good product. .......AND I will say this ....if she actually had to lead our team, it would go to hell quickly ....she's a good COORDINATOR....she's no HC. I hope Gase completely bombs the interview. I want no part of his passive personality. Actually I hope he doesn't interview at all. And the fact that he can't do two things at once ....interview and coach ...is a huge red flag to me ....he's either indecisive or a wuss or both. I don't care how smart he is or how great his game plans are ....smart people aren't necessarily leaders. And if I were Haslam, I'd be a bit put off by Gase as well. You either want to be here or you don't. Take a hike if you can't seem to figure that out.

--As to your point about Roman, I think he's a bit handcuffed with Kaep. Kaep got exposed this year a bit. He doesn't appear to be able to read coverages. I told my SF buddy yesterday that if I was designing a D to play against Kaep, you keep him in the pocket and make him pass. He's only effective when he's running. When SEA was able to mitigate his running a bit we saw some poor throws that ulitmately turned the game and won it for SEA.

PDR #842073 01/20/14 10:10 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Otherwise, you might end up looking like a BOZO.

just don't accuse me of calling you names...btw I never use that term towards posters...just journalist.

Sorry to make you work hard - nice stats. So some statistics didn't match up I see. On the fumbles I am assuming we ran a bit more - considering we won game/s with single digit passing attempts??? Off sides it showed up. Aggressiveness possibly it showed up in that flag total. Stat wise you got me.

All I got is the football players and the visual. Mangini did bring discipline. And it had nothing to do with charging for a bottle of water. Btw - nobody hates to run more than the big fatties lol probably why they adjusted the most on that stats. But see what happens when you discuss utilizing what you know best - stats, better than nothing. Now you made it hard to say it aint so. Damn stats...lol

I wish football was about stats...btw I recommend you look up some Strat-O-Matic football leagues I was shocked when an old friend from FLA asked me to join him in a League recently as in wow they are still around. Not an insult its an old game that I think you would enjoy.

Back to the thread - for some reason I think the guys we are waiting on are.

Seattle DC still forget his name. He played a 4-3 but very attack and utilized many LBs and I saw 7 DBs out there at one time.

The other believe it or not is on Denver but not OC Gase. I think we are waiting for DC Del Rio...he would be a 2nd chance HC with a break from his Jags firing. I liked his defense as well. All we heard was how Brady's line blocked for him in the past playoff game. I so some excellent schemes and the few times Del Rio blitzed they worked/executed. I think he has that well rounded ability to be a good HC. Don't know if we would be a 3-4 or 4-3 but I'm pretty sure it would be attack.

When I state Attack D I'm not talking about all out blitzes and stuff. To simplify lets break Ds down in two categories. Attack n Read & React.

Its how they execute their philosophy regarding the LOS. Attack will penetrate the Gaps in a disciplined manner. Read n react will neutralize the OL and stand pat looking to react to one gap or the other pending on the development of the play.

Btw you can penetrate and have two gap responsibility - most read n react (3-4) the DL has two gap responsibility. But talents like Bryant - JJ Watt (texans) showed why it might be a positive to ATTACK with them rather than Read n React.

Either way both Defensive Schemes I saw attacked the gaps.

I didn't even think Del Rio until I saw how well the D was coached and the players reacted to him and he to them. He never had talent in Jacksonville and it was a drepressing place - NO HOME FANS to speak of.

JMHO not many stats...lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #842074 01/20/14 10:25 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think we are waiting for DC Del Rio...

A really well balanced post, eo. I never considered Del Rio, but you could very well be right. With his previous HC experience, I believe I would prefer him than Gase...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A Del Rio hiring would the last straw for me ..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I believe coaches going forward to the SB can interview next week if they so choose.
I don't expect Gase to and kind of doubt Quinn will.

They can have second interviews during the off week, not first interviews. So we can talk to Quinn again, we can't touch Gase until after the SB.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I have a feeling Mike Pettine is the guy. The more I find out about him, the more I like him.

I like your line of thinking, 'Peen. My concern is that if he is indeed our guy, we could have had him signed, sealed, and delivered by now. I can't believe we are waiting this long if he is our guy. Possibly this means that either Gase or Quinn are our true targets...

That doesn't mean we don't want to talk to the others.

I guess what I am saying is he is the guy I want. His dad is a legendary HS coach in Penn, so the kid grew up with football. Was a all state QB in HS, safety in college..... Intense guy....47 years old ( the right age IMO).

I like what I am reading about this guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

A Del Rio hiring would the last straw for me ..

That's the second time you've posted that so I'll ask again, why? As I posted before, I think he might do well given another chance. He's certainly fiery, had the Jags competing most years and could turn out to be the kind of coach who excels in his second HC job. So why are you so against the possibility?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #842079 01/20/14 11:47 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Browns | Two could be OC options if Dan Quinn hired

Former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and former Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak could be offensive coordinator candidates if the Cleveland Browns hire Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn as their new head coach.

Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapoport

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
both of these guys work for Super Bowl teams. I don't see why either of them would give that up to go to the disaster that is the Cleveland Browns.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Squires #842081 01/20/14 12:24 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

both of these guys work for Super Bowl teams. I don't see why either of them would give that up to go to the disaster that is the Cleveland Browns.

More money, more power...

These guys all think they're the greatest thing ever. They think they can be that guy to change things. There's nothing wrong with that.

Some of these guys end up doing it too. Look at the mess Sean Payton walked into...

You can kind of see it changing in St. Louis. The Rams haven't made the next step, but you can already see a different attitude about the way that team plays.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

More money, more power...

These guys all think they're the greatest thing ever. They think they can be that guy to change things. There's nothing wrong with that.

Some of these guys end up doing it too. Look at the mess Sean Payton walked into...

You can kind of see it changing in St. Louis. The Rams haven't made the next step, but you can already see a different attitude about the way that team plays.

I agree ... but conditionally.

A great head coach can do a lot, but only if he has the proper support and/or authority.

If the story about Chud wanting a real FB for his offense, only to be overruled by the front office is true, then this is a huge strike against the team. Is a FB a game changer? Probably not. However, if the front office is willing to overrule their head coach on such a minor part of the team, how will they treat him on larger decisions? All of these seemingly minor things create a bigger picture of the team and how it is run. Will the next head coach be forced to accept square players for round holes? Will the opinion of the front office be more important than that of the coaches when it comes to players, and playing time?

The personnel department should be there to build the team according to the agenda set by the coach and his staff. Drafting players that don't fit, doesn't work. Everyone needs to be on the same page, and the front office needs to accept the head coach's image of what the team should look like more than the opposite.

In the end, a head coach candidate is interviewing the team as much as the opposite takes place. If he doesn't feel that he can succeed in the environment present on the team, then he will likely pass.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

Any (well 99%) of the jobs that open yearly are for teams that have some type of issues, be in rooster, cap, schemes, players, fans, owners or FO.

If they didnt they probably would not be looking for a coach... if any perpsective coach is shied away from Cleveland because the FO fired a coach what some perceive as too early or is afraid of the media or the fans ( LOL as if Cleveland fans and media are worse that say Phill's or NY's) then IMO he probably does not have the cajones for the HC job anyway, here or anywhere else and frankly I do not want him.

This alledged waiting for the perfect landing spot is a fairy tale... there are few of these jobs and fewer yet come open every year if you aint got the stones and confidence in your ability to grab for one of these jobs. then stay a coordinator, stay in the background and remove your name form consideration.

I want a guy who has the confidence, the fire, the ability and the smarts to get us going in the right dircetion, if Lombardi or Grossi or the guy in the dawgpound sacre you... pffft stay away.... JMHO... wait a minuite some of the guys in the dawgpound scare me... put you get the drift.

#gmstrong

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's about time to interview Greg Roman.

QFT. 2 weeks to review the bad Quinn decision.

What don't you like about Quinn?

Sorry that I don't go back & look. Another thread 80% bogged down with pointless bickering.

I find his offensive coordinators to be Daboll bad at best.

Rishuz #842085 01/20/14 01:19 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

--To your first and last points....I have an employee that works for me who I beat out to get my current job. She is my best employee and the person I lean on the most with difficult assignments. She always comes through with a good product. .......AND I will say this ....if she actually had to lead our team, it would go to hell quickly ....she's a good COORDINATOR....she's no HC. I hope Gase completely bombs the interview. I want no part of his passive personality. Actually I hope he doesn't interview at all. And the fact that he can't do two things at once ....interview and coach ...is a huge red flag to me ....he's either indecisive or a wuss or both. I don't care how smart he is or how great his game plans are ....smart people aren't necessarily leaders. And if I were Haslam, I'd be a bit put off by Gase as well. You either want to be here or you don't. Take a hike if you can't seem to figure that out.

This is my thought on Gase as well. He might be a great coordinator, but he doesn't appear to me anyway, ready to be a leader of a team.

Right now, I'm hoping we either land Pettine or Quinn. The more I read and see from those guys, the more I like them to be the leader of the Browns.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Yes, I know the meaning of Infer..

Well, then you know that you did infer.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Please feel free to start a part 4

I see and hear everything. Now where did I put my white cane, and my hearing aid?
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC search, pt 3

Link Copied to Clipboard