Print Thread
H
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
H
Simply crazy start to the Canucks Flame game. Youtube

142 penalty minutes in 2 seconds.

Last edited by hungryhound; 01/19/14 01:15 AM.
Legend
Legend
They showed two of the Flames stats that were on the ice, they had a few thousand penalty minutes and almost no goals. They are goons. And they were on the ice for one reason, start some crap.

I'd had done the same thing Torts did. Including trying to get some in their locker room. And at least Torts acknowledged his intentions with his lineup and what he was doing after. Hartley is acting like he was innocent, jackass.

And yes, the other sports need to look in the mirror before talking smack.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
The league can't do anything about it either. I mean how can you tell a team who to start and who not to start? Common sense says you don't send your goons out there.

I thought the players handled it well considering the circumstances. The fights were clean. Guys held each other up, and didn't take shots at anyone when they went down. I saw a few taps to the side of the head after as to say good fight.

The league has already changed up the rules to almost try and make the goon extinct. It's such a high skill level game now. It's about skating and scoring. Teams continue to carry these scrub players though. The one thing that would eliminate the goon is to make the rink a euro size rink, but that would just make it horrible.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The league can't do anything about it either. I mean how can you tell a team who to start and who not to start? Common sense says you don't send your goons out there.

Sure they can, start suspending people. I'm not the biggest hockey fan but do what basketball did, and start kicking people out of the game for major penalties, intentional penalties, however you want to structure it.. if you get kicked out you also miss the next game... if you get kicked out again this season you miss 3 games or 5 games or whatever... start sitting people down and you can control it.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Sure they can, start suspending people. I'm not the biggest hockey fan but do what basketball did, and start kicking people out of the game for major penalties, intentional penalties, however you want to structure it.. if you get kicked out you also miss the next game... if you get kicked out again this season you miss 3 games or 5 games or whatever... start sitting people down and you can control it.

Those guys were all ejected...

I don't know about further games, because their fights were no different than other fights. They kept it clean as well. I don't blame the players as much as I blame the coach.

I don't really care for fighting in hockey, but it has its place. Fights can invoke life into a team. Sometimes I wish they'd allow it in football so maybe our guys would actually get up during a game...

I don't mind fighting when it's in the heat of a game, and the players stay within the unwritten rules. I can't stand for a coach who sends those kinds of players out to start a game.

Legend
Legend
Then implement a policy that if X number of players are ejected, then the coach gets ejected for a few games..

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Then implement a policy that if X number of players are ejected, then the coach gets ejected for a few games..

Here's the problem though. Hockey coaches get fired at the same rate the Browns fire their coaches.

It's just that every once in a while you get a bad seed who's trying to send some message across.

I don't like the message it sent to his own team "Look we can't beat these guys straight up, so we're going to try and intimidate them by sending a few scrubs out there who will scrap it up."

What does that say about your own team. Bad move. For every Bob Hartley there are 10 Joel Quenville types, who do it the right way. That's the sad part of all this. One jackass coach makes them all look bad.

This guy won a Stanley Cup in Colorado with a stacked team, and rode their coattails for years.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I play hockey (adult beer league), but I don't keep up with the NHL, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Man, I wish someone would someone would just deck Tortorella (almost happened when the goalie coach for the Flames tried to go after Torts... look up that guy's story, holy smokes). Didn't Torts do this a couple times when he was with the Rangers (starting his tough guys)? I don't understand him throwing his hissy-fit if he's done it himself in the past. I can't stand the guy.

I wish a reporter would stick a mic in front of Hartley's face. I'd love to hear him try to explain his starting lineup. Plus, it would take some face-time away from Tortorella. Did I mention that I can't stand that guy?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Tangent Alert:

Clint Malarchuk, goalie coach for Flames

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk

Turns out he was the other goalie (from a little while back) that had his jugular severed by a skate blade.
They estimate that if the skate hit a little higher up he would've died on the ice. Also, if he had been in the other goal (you switch sides after each period in hockey) when it happened, he wouldn't have had enough time to get to a trainer, and would've died.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Tangent Alert:

Clint Malarchuk, goalie coach for Flames

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk

Turns out he was the other goalie (from a little while back) that had his jugular severed by a skate blade.
They estimate that if the skate hit a little higher up he would've died on the ice. Also, if he had been in the other goal (you switch sides after each period in hockey) when it happened, he wouldn't have had enough time to get to a trainer, and would've died.

One of the scariest things I've ever seen. Just awful.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I play hockey (adult beer league), but I don't keep up with the NHL, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Man, I wish someone would someone would just deck Tortorella (almost happened when the goalie coach for the Flames tried to go after Torts... look up that guy's story, holy smokes). Didn't Torts do this a couple times when he was with the Rangers (starting his tough guys)? I don't understand him throwing his hissy-fit if he's done it himself in the past. I can't stand the guy.

I wish a reporter would stick a mic in front of Hartley's face. I'd love to hear him try to explain his starting lineup. Plus, it would take some face-time away from Tortorella. Did I mention that I can't stand that guy?

I'm not 100% sure about his past with starting lineups. I don't recall too much of it when he was with TB...

You could start topic after topic about Torts and the way he conducts himself to the media, and you can definitely say trying to get into the Flames locker room was a bad move, but what happened at the beginning of that game was all on Hartley.

It's the reason why he was fined anything... It was their chance to sneak in a shot at him, because technically he did nothing wrong. It's common sense not to do what he did, but you can't make it illegal.

Since Torts got such a punishment, they were able to sneak in the 25k fine for Hartley.

Like I said, I'm just glad the players handled it the right way.

O
Legend
Legend
O
No doubt about Hartley, he's definitely the instigator. I think that goes without saying. I'm not sure the whole thing goes nuclear, like it did, without Torts involved.

-PrplPplEater
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

No doubt about Hartley, he's definitely the instigator. I think that goes without saying. I'm not sure the whole thing goes nuclear, like it did, without Torts involved.

There's not doubt in my mind Hartley did that in part because he knew Tortorella would go nuts, and he did. Hahaa. Some people don't like that guy but I really don't mind Torts. I wish he'd be a little nicer to some of these hockey writers because they're not all horrible people, but otherwise, he's passionate about his job and his team.

Hawks/Red Wings so sooo good last night. Great game, it's too bad it got ruined by a shootout, same thing happened on Sunday with Hawks/Bruins.

I can't wait until April, this garbage weather will be gone, the Tribe will be starting up, and NHL playoffs start.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hawks/Red Wings so sooo good last night. Great game, it's too bad it got ruined by a shootout, same thing happened on Sunday with Hawks/Bruins.

I can't wait until April, this garbage weather will be gone, the Tribe will be starting up, and NHL playoffs start.

I'm cool with shootouts because it provides an ending that a tie can't, but man are they awful. The more I watch them the more I want to tinker with the OT to force a winner there. Go 3-on-3 for 5 minutes and no offsides, no penalties*....that's still better than a shootout.

*the way in which most video games are played. But I'm not completely serious. Go 3-on-3 for 5 mins. A shootout would be rare.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
There's no way to solve it. Even 4 on 4 hockey kinda sucks.

I agree with the shootout, it's just that I can't stand it. It's the right way to do it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think shootouts made sense back when they implemented it, but the novelty wore off really fast. Shootouts just don't do it for me anymore, but for a couple years after they started using that format, I used to really look forward to getting through OT without a score.

-PrplPplEater
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I think shootouts made sense back when they implemented it, but the novelty wore off really fast. Shootouts just don't do it for me anymore, but for a couple years after they started using that format, I used to really look forward to getting through OT without a score.

I still have not seen one in person for an NHL game. I've probably been to at least 15 games since I moved to Chicago in 2004..

There's a bit of an unspoken code in the league that you shouldn't do certain things, probably even in shootouts. If you watch youtube videos on excellent players at the junior level, you'd be shocked to see some of the shootout moves these kids pull. There is no code there. At the NHL level, you may get run sometime down the line for trying to hot dog your way into a goal.

Datsyuk has his patented move that he gets away with, and that's pretty much it, the rest is basic stuff.

I'm totally fine with it as long as they leave playoffs alone. Don't touch a thing about them. It's pretty much perfect.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Datsyuk has his patented move that he gets away with, and that's pretty much it, the rest is basic stuff.

And that's about all the Wings have when it comes to shootouts. God, they're awful.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

And that's about all the Wings have when it comes to shootouts. God, they're awful.

You would think the Blackhawks would be money in the shootouts, but they're not very good either. After Kane, Toews, and Sharp, it's scarce. They don't boast volume scorers, it's more spread around offense. Boston and Detroit are the same... That's people's argument against the shootout, it doesn't translate to who's good and who isn't.

Even with the goalies, some of them are just not built for shootouts.

Legend
Legend
And Kane is 1 for 11 on shootouts this year. He needs to start finding the net in regulation too.

Last year Kane was getting a little talk because he was slowing down to almost a crawl on his shootouts. The league never stepped in but they should have. A few other guys seem to get away with almost stopping too.

Right, it doesn't really matter because once the playoffs start, the game is how it needs to be.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

And Kane is 1 for 11 on shootouts this year. He needs to start finding the net in regulation too.

Last year Kane was getting a little talk because he was slowing down to almost a crawl on his shootouts. The league never stepped in but they should have. A few other guys seem to get away with almost stopping too.

Right, it doesn't really matter because once the playoffs start, the game is how it needs to be.

Kane slowed down 10 feet in front of Rask and schooled him on Sunday. I don't understand why he doesn't do that every time. That's Sidney Crosby's move as well. Crosby doesn't have some ridiculous move to beat you in a shootout. He's a position scorer. He makes his money always being in the right place.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone watching the Kings, Ducks outdoor game?

Is it me or does it look like their playing on a postage stamp size rink?!

Very deceiving with that green grass.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Anyone watching the Kings, Ducks outdoor game?

Is it me or does it look like their playing on a postage stamp size rink?!

Very deceiving with that green grass.

It looked cool out there, they did a good job presenting the game there.

I thought the game yesterday was awesome.

I'm so happy they decided to schedule this Blackhawks/Penguins game a bit further down the line, it's -3 right now, and I'm not standing outside in that for anything, sorry Blackhawks.

They don't play until March 1 and at that point in the year, in this city, it's a toss up on the weather. We had an 80 degree day a few years ago in March, and it could easily be a super cold day too.

I've heard a lot of people say they don't understand how they could have a hockey rink in California for an outdoor game. The rink is not powered by the elements, it's powered by a truck outside the stadium. Humidity is the only factor from the natural elements that could have a big effect....

With Columbus seeming to get better and better every year, I'm hoping they might consider them a location for an outdoor game, would love to see Detroit/Columbus at the Shoe. You could play up OSU/Michigan, and I think you could sell all 100k+ seats without much of an issue.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Went to a Fight and a Hockey game broke out.

Link Copied to Clipboard