Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Great read: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-GMhead-coach-relationships-fail.html

The head coach-general manager partnership is a franchise’s most integral relationship. Ownership speaks for itself, but ownership isn’t going anywhere. The same cannot be said for the head coach and general manager. Their relationship is the glue that keeps the organization together and flourishing.

All great organizations have a “team first” attitude. That frame of mind begins with the head coach and general manager.

Rarely does a head coach-general manager partnership commence with the hiring of both at the same time and dissolve with the firing of both at the same time. That’s not the way it happens in the NFL. All alliances between the two eventually erode or implode in some fashion and it’s just a matter of time before the relationship runs its course. That’s a fact.

The relationship between the head coach and general manager is a critical one. They set the standard for the football side of the organization. If they fail, it sends a negative vibration felt by all and results in cracks to what is supposed to be the foundation of the organization. People start taking sides, players lose faith and the owner is eventually forced to make a move.

As a general manager, the toughest task I ever faced was hiring a head coach. There are no instructions or rules of conduct. In Chicago, we were fortunate to have one of the longer lasting partnerships in the league. Our philosophies were similar, we saw our roles as caretakers of the franchise and we were able to put our egos aside to get the job done.

What gives the relationship the best chance for success is getting both men getting to their second contract. If the general manager hires the head coach, it’s usually a simple formula. However, when the head coach is hired before the general manager, things are a bit more complicated and the power pecking order can become abstract. In this scenario, the chances of the relationship evolving positively over the long run are little.

The head coach has to possess a sense of loyalty to the general manager. The best way to achieve that dynamic is for the general manager to hire the head coach. In the same token, the general manager now knows that the head coach is “his guy” and, as a result, he’s going to do everything he can to make the coach successful.

Sure, this may all appear to be common sense, but don’t ever be fooled into thinking that the NFL as a whole uses this approach as the voice of reason.

Unfortunately, even when things are done the right way in the beginning, the chances are still high that the relationship will dissolve at some point in the future. Most of the time a breakdown between the general manager and head coach occurs. But sometimes, the owner intercedes because he wants a new “face” for the franchise. Whatever the case, their union is always on borrowed time.

Here are some of the key reasons for a fractured relationship:

1. The head coach starts winning and wants more say, which is another way of indicating he wants more control. He is the face of the organization and when he makes it known, he puts ownership in a compromising position. Regardless of how the matter is settled, the relationship between the coach and general manager will never be the same.

I found that when head college coaches jumped to the NFL to take a head coaching position, it was hard for them to acclimate to the partnership model with the general manager. It’s simple to understand why. In college, the head coach is the bottom line on everything. He doesn’t share any of his authority with the athletic director like he will be required to do with a general manager. That is just one pitfall when you hire a head college coach.

2. Another challenge the partnership faces is when things are going bad or have gone bad. Now the general manager and head coach transition into survival mode. It’s not an attractive role to employ, but it’s the reality of the situation. Instead of the two coming closer together, they grow apart and the fingers start pointing. I’ve witnessed many good relationships end because of this. If there is five percent bad in a person, losing will bring it out of them over time.

3. More times than not when a head coach and general manager are brought together for the first time in a quick marriage, they haven’t talked, planned or built protocols regarding all the minor issues and decisions. This, ultimately, could have an effect on the alliance.

It may be as simple as:

1. How to cut a player
2. Which people make up the traveling party for away games (i.e. injured players, practice squad players, family and/or friends)
3. The access and freedom assistant coaches have with the media and agents
4. How assistant coaches are used in the college draft and/or free agency
5. How the itinerary is shaped for an away game

There are enough of these smaller points that don’t get flushed out until after the head coach and general manager have begun working together. As a result, they can adversely affect the relationship.

4. One of the biggest pet peeves possessed by both coaches and personnel people is how players are being developed or used within the scheme. This issue is more than capable of finding that “last nerve.” Matters can become personal and emotions start to dictate. It can get heated and adversarial.

Another peeve of coaches and personal people deals with veteran players who have declined in production, but the coaches want to hold onto them. This usually occurs because of the leadership value said players bring to the team. Personnel people aren’t trained to think that way. Both make valid points in this discussion, but it can get contentious.

Once their egos take hold, it’s no longer about being right, it’s about who’s right. And any time it’s about “who is right” as opposed to “getting it right,” it’s the beginning of the end.

The partnership can only work if there is mutual respect, open communication and trust. That’s not a given, regardless of how the head coach and general manager came together. That trust often takes time to mature, but sometimes it doesn’t happen at all. At that point, it’s no longer about the team.

Jerry Angelo was the General Manager of the Chicago Bears from 2001 to 2012. Prior to joining the Bears, Angelo spent 14 years overseeing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' scouting department as their Director of Player Personnel. Angelo graduated from Miami University in 1971.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
V
Legend
Legend
V
Interesting article.

Thanks.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm sure there are even more details not covered in this article but it was a nice overview.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think #1 on the article definitely applies to the Haurbagh situation in San Fran.

Farmer is a unique situation cause he was here last year and although a new hire he isn't a new hire.

Of course Farmer was not in on the process to hire Pettine. On the flip side it looks like they have meshed well and will work well together.

One key thing mentioned and it don't matter if they are best friends or don't know each other.

Winning is the cure all. Losing sucks and get people scrambling usually blaming others to keep the job.

Clark Palmer well both came here at the same time.
Butch n Garcia same time.
Savage RAC...thought Savage did RAC dirty but also always wondered if Savage got his way and hired Ferentz what would have happened.

Mangini n Kokinos - terrible marriage they got an annulment.

Heckert was here a year - the worst thing he did as a GM... made his hire of Shurmur.

Chud hired and then we hired Lombardi - clearly showing who had control...not Lombardi.

Now we got Farmer who was here for a year but as Asst. GM
Hopefully the cycle finally ends and we have the CURE ALL! oh and a QB.

I will forever thank Lombardi if Hoyer becomes THE GUY. I won't even mention the blind squirrel metaphor...oh well I just did...lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
Missed one important tidbit in that the GM usually has a more long-term view and the HC has the short-term view on building the team.

I don't get why the NFL teams make this so hard. It's really simple.

President - controls all business and cap aspects of the team. Reports to owner. Collaborates with GM to help make sure he has all the necessary information to make choices on players.

GM - controls all personnell and scouting. Reports to owner. Collaborates with President as above. Collaborates with HC to discuss the types of players needed and about which players are currently doing well (though also gets feedback from his own scouts).

HC - controls the 53 men on the roster (and 8 on PS). He determines who plays, when they play, what they play, how to practice, etc. Reports to owner.

Owner - he sets the main focus for the team, but mostly stays out of the way. When arguments arise (and they should as the POV for each group above is different), then it is his job to factor in all the arguments from each side and make a decision. It is also his job to make sure everyone understands why the decision was made.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Harbaughs comments;

“I have never said that, nor do I want any more power than I have. I coach the team. I’ve told my owner I don’t want any more power. I want to coach the team. And I’ve never told anybody else otherwise.”

“What I do know is this: I make plenty of money. And I don’t do five times as much work as any other coach on the staff. I get paid extremely well. Jed York has always been square dealing with me. I don’t think about that as an issue … I’ve seen it written like fact: ‘Harbaugh wants to be the highest paid coach in football’, or ‘desperately covets a new contract’. For the record: I make plenty of money. I mean, plenty of money.’”

“If you haven’t had a brother, you probably don’t understand the relationship between the GM and the head coach. We’re partners on the same team. I have great respect for him. He works extremely hard at it and is very good at it. We are all part of a team. I believe in the structure we have. I don’t want to change anything that we do in that regard.”

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/jim-harbaugh-on-49ers-rift-2014-3

Who knows the exact situation, but at least these aren't mere speculations from some BOZO.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
LOL Just remember Pit, after it was reported that the Browns tried to trade for him, he denied any talks took place. Which by the way was later refuted by both the 9ers and Haslam. LOL

So take his comments FWIW....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I do. Which is why I made that comment at the end.

Maybe Harbaugh is a BOZO too?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Oh I do. Which is why I made that comment at the end.

Maybe Harbaugh is a BOZO too?

Very well could be. he's without a doubt a good coach. We've seen that. But a wierdo he might be also...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Who knows the exact situation, but at least these aren't mere speculations from some BOZO.

I have stated on more than one occasion that I sort of skim through most of the Bozo stuff and what I do stop and read and absorb are the Quotes from the people themselves...not speculation. So don't miss interpret my use of the term Bozo...only where applied

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm just messin' with ya bud.

We're pretty much on the same page with the BOZOS.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

HC - controls the 53 men on the roster (and 8 on PS). He determines who plays, when they play, what they play, how to practice, etc. Reports to owner.

Shouldnt that be "Reports to the GM"?

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Shouldnt that be "Reports to the GM"?

No. I think that is a big reason why these relationships fail. The GM thinks he is in charge because he is higher up on the org. chart. The GM & HC have vastly different jobs and POV. Putting them on the same level with an arbiter (owner) makes the short-term and long-term natures of their jobs easier to manage.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't disagree with you in theory but wouldn't there be a president between them and the owner (assuming the owner isn't also serving as the president)?

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I don't disagree with you in theory but wouldn't there be a president between them and the owner (assuming the owner isn't also serving as the president)?

please see structure above. the president presides over all the business aspects and reports directly to the owner as well. the small faction of what he does that is football related (cap control) would be the 3rd part of the triumvirate that works with the HC and GM.

it sets up your checks & balances well and weighs them out if you have a good owner. if you have a bad owner, then you're screwed anyway you set things up.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... wouldn't there be a president between them and the owner ...

There will be in 2015....Peyton Manning.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Why GM-HC relationships fail

Link Copied to Clipboard