Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Gamestop is running a deal right now that gives an extra 50% trade-in credit for consoles that are being traded toward the PS4 or Xbox One. I have both PS3 (slim 120gb) and Xbox One (elite 250gb) and am thinking of trading them in for a Xbox One Titanfall bundle (priced at $500). I also have 40 games between the two systems and am wondering if I might have enough trade credit for a straight trade without any money coming from my pocket. I can't call them from work and won't get a chance to go over there after work today. Does anybody have any insight on this?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ignore your estimated dollar amount/figure that you'd expect to get from Gamestop for your games. Ignore it totally cause they'll give you 1/4 of what you should for used games, in which they'll directly turn around and sell it for 75% more than what they paid you (name of their game).

PS3 bundles are still going for about 200-250 on Craigslist. IDK what Xbox are going for cause I'm not a Xbox person at all. Factoring in their "trade-in" credit, I'd almost venture to say you'd get more outta your current systems if you were to sell them separately and then use that money to buy yourself a newer gen console IMO. Depending what all you got for each and condition, you'd probably could get more than enough to cover the expenses of a newer $500 xbox. Maybe even have enough left over to buy yourself a large pizza or something!

If I were you, i'd be careful and do the math of what you'd get for trade in and what you'd get to just sell the items yourself. Gamestop will jip you hardcore and I'm sure it wouldn't take but a visit to their stores to realize this.

Legend
Legend
Yes, they'll jip you, but it's a one-stop event. While selling on Craig's List or eBay might get you more money, you do have to actually take pictues, write it all up, field calls or e-mails, find a legit buyer (which isn't easy), meet them or ship the box, and then pay eBay and Paypal fees too (AND maybe accept a return or two). While not a ton of work, it's more than just going into the store and coming home with a new system. So it depends on how much you charge yourself for your own time.

I would probably piece it out on eBay because I like the process. I don't like Craig's list (various reasons).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
Come on, taking a pic, writing up a little description, answering a few email responses and having someone come to your place for pickup is not time consuming whatsoever. Not that i'm HUGE fan of CL, but it's nice way to get the MOST outta the items you are selling.

Ebay, no good. By the time your auction sells to the lowest bidder - you've already accepted an amount that you wanted more for. THEN Ebay kicks in with their selling fees (fees for items sold, fees for shipping (yes if you charge 20 bucks for shipping, Ebay now taxes you for it)) and then after that large chunk is taken out, then Paypal swipes in and takes their chunk out. Then you goto ship it and realize it'll cost a little higher cause so-n-so lives in California and now you must ship all the way to there. By the end of the process, you've made nothing in terms of what you were planning/hoping. Trtuhfully getting jipped by Gamestop is likely going to put you in the same, if not better, ballpark (in terms of final dollar value of $ in your pocket after all is said and done) than Ebay now. Plus, unless you've sold a ton of items - Ebay/Paypal now will also hold your money that is transferred into your PayPal account for sometimes months and months. Until the buyer leaves positive feedback and/or the tracking indicated it's been shipped, but then you still need to wait to get access to the money that is in your Paypal account. Which is stupid.

Seems more hassle to sell on Ebay than it would be on CL BUT that is solely a matter of opinion as I've used both. Then Ebay's selling fees on shipping cost is what tipped me overboard with using Ebay. Haven't sold anything on there in years since they implemented that seller fee. I just list my stuff on CL, and every so often meet someone to pickup if they're willing to meet close.

I've sold several games (my AC Black Flag game I've sold on CL last weekend) and my PS3 console on CL.

Legend
Legend
You and I probably don't care about pictures and writing up a product description, but I know quite a few people that would sell at a Gamestop-like location or just let it collect dust rather than do that work. Heck, some people are just lazy.

I've been on eBay a long time, I've never heard of them taxing a shipping fee. They recently started limiting how much a seller can charge for shipping, but that's because sellers were charging $20 to ship a video game and then selling the item for $5, to avoid paying the eBay fees on the video game. So I'm not aware of any shipping taxing fee...and I just sold something a few weeks ago.

As for the shipping costs themselves, you can have the buyer base the shipping costs on where they live and the size and weight of the package. It's automatic. A guy 10 miles away from you will pay a lot less than a guy buying from Hawaii. But hey, I get that you don't like eBay. It's fine. Some people like CL better. I'm just not one of them.

No offense, I don't want to invite random people to my front door to buy a video game or jersey. I know an eBay buyer or seller would know my address, but I know they're probably legit because of their feedback and not some crazy stalker peeping my house. And I've had the "I know I agreed to $25 over e-mail but I think I only want to pay $20 now" thing through a Craig's List meeting. Or they just don't show up altogether. Plus, living in Chicago, there are some not so nice areas and I don't really want to sell my $500 Bears tickets on a random street corner.

Each one has it's pro's and con's.

eBay's + Paypal fees suck, but your product is viewed by a lot more people than Craig's List. And you can buy and sell with people that have good eBay reputations.
Craig's List is a nice cash-only fee-free service with no shipping, but you don't really know who you're dealing with at all and you still need to drive to a location to do your business.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Actually, I stopped selling items through an auction because I felt it's was a 50/50 chance of me getting my price. Sometimes I got it or over and sometimes it would be a little low. So I started selling with a Buy-it-now and a "Make offer" option.

For example: Selling a video game that should go between $25-30. I'll put a BIN for $32.50 and let people make offers. Eventually someone will offer $25, I'll counter with $27.50....done deal. Plus, I get to pick who I accept offers from. And if someone does hit the high BIN, I get over my price and they had to automatically pay too. Win win.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
That is because it's now (or has been) included in the final fee and you likely never even noticed it in the price spike, as outlined per Ebay's pages:

Quote:

If the item sells, you're charged a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale and are charged per item.

The total amount of the sale is the final price of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included.

However, the fact you don't want to meet anyone or invite them to your personal place is completely understandable. For that reason alone, I'd fully understand why you'd go Ebay. I usually find that most people love to meet at a public place, which I am comfy with. However larger items (like a set of rims I sold) - I had them come to my place and it's uncomfortable having strangers come with money/cash but I've never had a problem. Besides, and not to sound like a nut - but I got an AR-15 within a few hops so it's anyone's bad decision if they want to pull something lol.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I pulled the trigger last night and traded everything at Gamestop. A 250GB Xbox 360, 150GB PS3, a few controllers, a couple of extra Xbox 360 hard drives, and about 30-40 games between the two systems. The total trade value ended up being...$750!!!

I was not expecting it to be that much. I thought I might get somewhere between $400 and $450. Needless to say, I was very pleased. I ended up getting the Xbox One Titanfall bundle, the limited edition of Forza 5, NBA 2K14, and a play & charge kit to keep the controller charged at all times. I still ended up with about $30 left that I had the employee put onto a gift card for me. Not a single penny came out-of-pocket and I took home quite a hefty loot. Good stuff.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Depending all the actual gear and games you had, 750 in trade-in credit doesn't seem to bad at all! Actually, sounds like (considering your goal of wanting to acquire a newer console as being why you're selling) you made off pretty decently there IMO.

I don't approve of getting a newer Xbox (PS all the way) but hey, to each their own!!!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gamestop is running a promotion to give extra 50% in trade value in towards a Next Gen console. It's usually the only time you can get decent value from them. Still not as much as selling yourself but you pay for the convenience.

web page

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Depending all the actual gear and games you had, 750 in trade-in credit doesn't seem to bad at all! Actually, sounds like (considering your goal of wanting to acquire a newer console as being why you're selling) you made off pretty decently there IMO.

I don't approve of getting a newer Xbox (PS all the way) but hey, to each their own!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it wasn't bad at all. I got much more than expected. Honestly, I probably would have priced everything at about $500-$600 if I had sold it on eBay or Craig's List. So, I came out on top.

Also, PS4 doesn't have Forza. So, it's garbage.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Gamestop is running a promotion to give extra 50% in trade value in towards a Next Gen console. It's usually the only time you can get decent value from them. Still not as much as selling yourself but you pay for the convenience.

web page

Yeah, it only applied to the systems I traded in. Still, though, that deal put me at $200 for only the systems. The fact that I had so many games was what helped me immensely.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Feel pretty good about yourself. For straight cash money - I sold my PS3 incl. two controllers, four or five games for $175.

The 50% trade in credit applied to the games too, eh? If I had known that in the first place, I'd had surely suggested going in there ASAP! Job well done bro.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

but I got an AR-15 within a few hops so it's anyone's bad decision if they want to pull something lol.

Totally off topic but what do you have? I just finished a build. PM me. Love to hear what others got. Looking for a optics any recommends?

D
Legend
Legend
D
PM sent bro!

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Last week Game stop was giving an additional credit for trading xbox one and ps4 games. I traded Assassins creed IV and the Lego Marvel game and got $75 credit ($6 was from the gamestop rewards).

I thought it was a good deal because they usually give you pennys for games.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
No way I'd ever trade in my 60GB PS3. I got it during launch time in 2006 and the thing still runs like a champ. In addition its backward compatible so I have one system that runs PS1,2, and 3 games. Just being able to have the ability to play games like the original Metal Gear Solid or well remembered Ps2 games make it totally worth it!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
I'm thinking about trading my Vita in. I never play it...

My only question if anyone knows, do they take downloaded games into account? Or is that a username thing? Because I feel like that'd just be a waste of money then basically...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My only question if anyone knows, do they take downloaded games into account? Or is that a username thing? Because I feel like that'd just be a waste of money then basically...

Downloaded games don't count. It's the downfall of going digital.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Downloaded games don't count. It's the downfall of going digital.

Yep, and it's one of the reasons I still try to buy physical versions of anything when possible. With digital versions, all resale value is lost.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Wow, a couple weeks ago, to my chagrin my original PS3 died. I took out the hard drive but I lost my progress on GTA V (If you've played GTA games you know how long the story can be). At this point I contemplated between getting one of the newer slimmer PS3's or a PS4. I went and bought another PS3, mainly due to me having a large PS3 game library/real discs that I love and want to play.

I am aware that there is some streaming service that's supposed to make PS3 games playable on the PS4. However, I'm pretty sure it would make users have to re-purchase games they already have. That is something I would never do and is a deal breaker. I may get a PS4 in the future when the game catalog becomes larger but not right now. Perhaps if Left 4 Dead came to PS4.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming Anybody recently trade in their PS3 or 360?

Link Copied to Clipboard