Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Joe Haden is seriously an ambassador for the Browns. Re-sign him NOW

https://twitter.com/joehaden23/status/443717327415042048/photo/1

Joe Haden seems like he is always the coolest guy in the room.

One, Joe Haden needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Two, whenever Haden's not on the field, all the other players should be asking "Where's Haden"?

Three--

This can't go unapplauded

Last edited by Kingcob; 03/13/14 12:28 PM.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Don't like this move. Gave him too much cash.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
IDK if DQ is worth $22 mil, Dansby is worth $24

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

His salary cap cost had been slated to be $8.1 million

You want to state facts then fine do it.....

Quote:

DQ was in line to receive something like $10 million between salary and roster bonus. That's hardly a serviceable contract

Not to mention he said he would have taken a pay cut to stay.. I liked DQ he played hard and was a team leader who EVERYONE respected and you know what he earned his respect by his play.....

Like I said keep him instead of Robertson add Ward and Dansby and Whitner to this team and we are instantly a better team and defense... Being a fan and all I guess I have lost my ability to figure that out.................

Where exactly did we get better again remind me................

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Not to mention he said he would have taken a pay cut to stay.

Therein lays the problem. We tried to restructure, but he said it was too much off the table. Plus he also said he wanted to go somewhere where there was more stability. Like I've said before...If they don't want to be here...See Ya.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Not to mention he said he would have taken a pay cut to stay.

Therein lays the problem. We tried to restructure, but he said it was too much off the table. Plus he also said he wanted to go somewhere where there was more stability. Like I've said before...If they don't want to be here...See Ya.

no, no, no every player wants to stay here, every FA wants to come here.... all we have to do is ask...... funny 2 months ago nobody was going to come here and nobody wanted to stay..... now .... oh boy..... never mind its an exercise in futility

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
As far as I can tell. DQ's base salary was slated to be $3.93 million, plus a $4 million roster bonus and a $100K workout bonus.

He had a $7 million signing bonus on his contract extension, along with unspecified guarantees. (at least that I can find without doing a CIA level search) He played 2 years of his 4 year deal, so half of his signing bonus is still to be allocated. So, for 2014 and 2015, his signing bonus would have accounted for $1.75 million per year.

Salary: $3.93 million
Roster Bonus: $4 million
Workout Bonus: $100K
Pro Rated Signing Bonus $1.75 million

So, his cap cost for this year would have been $9.78 million. (if my math is correct)

Instead, he cost us $3.5 million against the cap, which is the remaining unallocated portion of his signing bonus.

Not regarding DQ, but one thing I have wondered about is this ...... Brandon Weeeden, just to use an example, had a fully guaranteed salary this year, and a 50% guaranteed salary next year. Does his entire salary guarantee accelerate when he was cut, or just this year's salary, with the 50% of next year's salary going against next year's cap?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We got better because Dansby is a better inside linebacker in a 3-4 than DQ is. Period. I liked DQ. He played very well the two seasons we switched to a 4-3. But Dansby is certainly the better choice in a 3-4. Ward was excellent against the run. But we got better by bringing in a more well rounded safety in Hitner.

Saw some film on Dansby yesterday, aside from his on field prowess, he's an inspirational leader. Somewhat reminded me of Ray Lewis. Always trying to fire up his teammates. He even said at the press conference, his goal was to elevate the play of those around him. Also, he's been to a Super Bowl. He knows what it takes to win and can bring that experience to the locker room.

Whitner is also a vocal leader. A quarterback for our new D. He's coming off three trips to the NFC Championship and a Super Bowl birth. He's a fine addition to the locker room.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Not regarding DQ, but one thing I have wondered about is this ...... Brandon Weeeden, just to use an example, had a fully guaranteed salary this year, and a 50% guaranteed salary next year. Does his entire salary guarantee accelerate when he was cut, or just this year's salary, with the 50% of next year's salary going against next year's cap?

pretty sure all to this years cap... they could have used the June 1st designation to spread that over next year... each team is allowed to do that with one player - like the Steelers did with Woodley

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It gets accelerated, meaning we ate ALL of DQ's and Weeden's remaining $$. Their off next year's cap.

If a player is cut/traded DURING a season, like TRich, then I think it gets spread out or "punted" into next season's cap cost. That's why TRich is still on the books with 6.67 mil in 2014

Not 100% sure, but I think that's how it works...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorry man, I've been a real stinker. To Me it's just when they leave....they leave. Crying over spilled milk aint gonna bring 'em back.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree completely.

I owe my allegiance to the browns and the players here, those that are gone, not coming, never been... they are nothing but names to me

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
There is a difference between DQ's contract and Weeden's contract though.

DQ's guaranteed money remaining was his signing bonus, which he was paid when he signed his contract. He had 2 years that hadn't yet been allocated against the cap, and that definitely accelerates when the player is cut.

Weeden had a signing bonus, but he also has a fully guaranteed salary this year, and a 50% guaranteed salary in 2015.

So this year the remainder of his signing bonus definitely accelerates, and his salary for this year counts against this year's cap. However, he had a 50% guaranteed salary for 2015. He also may have had offset language. I'm not sure. However, if he did, then the Browns responsibility to his guarantee would be lessened correspondingly. I would think that a player's future guarantee would be due against his team's cap in the year it is paid, whether or not he is still on that team or not. I can't find it for sure though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Some of you guys kill me. As much as I liked Jackson, I never really saw the "leader" praise he got that last couple of years. Seems like it was more do to his tenure than his presence to inspire his defense. One press conference and I'm already sold on Dansby being a plus in this category. For me DQ was too laid back for a team leader. Especially at Linebacker. Dansby seems to have that "fire". I hope my instinct is correct.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't know if you have to be a fiery type guy to be a leader. I mean take one of our own for example, and it's been well noted of it too by Armonty Bryant and etc - Rubin is a very soft spoken guy, but players and people seem to love the man... would you not agree?

Everyone has their own style that people will eventually see and then understand and of course then, hopefully, feed off it and listen to/believe in.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
I get what your saying, I do. But if you're going to be a soft spoken leader, imho you better be a thumper. Again i liked DQ, but think of all the posters that mention his stats are bloated due to 4-5 yards past the line. If that number was -2 to +2, I think we would all feel different about this change. Sadly this might be one of the position changes targeted by Pettine when in his first presser he mentioned getting the roster "tougher".

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Spirit my old friend, how are you???

I think what's missing here is its not an either or, at least not for me..

Keep Jackson and keep Ward and add Dansby and Whitner were a better defense...

Here for me are the real choices. Robertson - DQ.........Ward Gibson or I could almost see letting Ward go but Jackson no way at least wait until your in a dollars crunch or have his replacement in hand as is who exactly is it that's going to play next to Dansby???

Its a team sport and the teams we play go after the weakest link who was that last year???? It sure as hell was NOT Jackson nor was it Ward but you could make a case that Ward wasn't so great in coverage granted.. You could even make a case that Jackson was getting a bit long in the tooth (30) but Dansby is 32................ Ward was a pro bowl player ranked well ahead of Whitner and both Ward and Jackson were home grown and you don't get better by creating holes then filling them.

In other words our off season moves to date are horizontal vs what you would hope to see which is vertical... These were questionable at best moves.....................We are as we were less about 50mill in contracts.....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
I don't think they are horizontal per say...

DQ is a 4-3 guy.. We're in the 3-4.. I love him but he's not this great MLB presence. Dansby is..

And Whiter is better overall than TJ. Having both of them wouldn't of made any sense, you're not ganna see Whitner in the box as much as you did TJ, him and Gibson(unless he gets replaced) are going to covering a lot more...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think what's missing here is its not an either or, at least not for me..

Keep Jackson and keep Ward and add Dansby and Whitner were a better defense...

Playing Ward and Whitner side by side would not have made us a better defense. They are both SS ... Whitner is better at coverage than Ward but still not a FS. We would be exposed deep.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ward and Whitner play the same position BTTB. I don't see either player in the free safety role. As for teaming DQ and Dansby, while possible it wouldn't be a very lasting solution. I'm really hoping we pick up a good young ILB or two in the upcoming draft. Dansby is fine for a couple years. As long as he stays healthy(which can be said about any player)he should really bring some pop on the inside.

I'm looking forward to seeing a real thumper in the middle this year. At least I hope that's how it goes. One can never tell with these matters.... I don't want to jinx anything by listing examples, but we haven't had the best of luck in FA over the years.

Guess we can only cross our fingers and hope Farmer and Pettine know their stuff.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Legend
Legend
P
We agree to a point, yet disagree.

Where we agree is that we haven't as of yet actually addressed any of the holes we had going into the FA market. What we have done is fill holes that were created.

But what was also done, was that we acquired players that fit the system by replacing one's that didn't. I see that as progress.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

But what was also done, was that we acquired players that fit the system by replacing one's that didn't. I see that as progress.

+1

Arps #861035 03/14/14 11:28 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

+1

That's exactly right.

No team goes into free agency without a single player at a particular position, and signs a guy because there is no one else. They sign players because they feel that they are upgrades over the players they have. If we had signed Schwartz, for example, at Guard, he would have "replaced" Lauvao. According to most people that would have been just fine. We would have "created a hole" by not resigning Lauvao ....... and plugged it with a free agent.

If there was a premium level starting QB on this market, a team like the Broncos wouldn't be on the hunt. Why would they? They have their guy. They went after Manning, but also cut Tebow. In essence, they "created a hole" ....... but really all they did was upgrade a position.

Maybe fans don't see DQ as being a hole, but I did. He was an OK player, but except for the 1st couple of games of the 2012 season, In those 2 games, he tallied 2 INT and 2 sacks. He was everywhere. Unfortunately, what were his season totals? 3.5 sacks and 2 INT. He made impact big plays in those 1st 2 games, then went back into a more passive role. Passive ILB are not made for th 3-4. The 3-4 needs aggressive ILB, who get off blocks and attack plays. Tha is who Dansby is. It is not, and never will be who DQ is. We took a major step up base on the defense we run.

It is a similar case for Whitner vs. Ward. It was said that Ward was negotiating with the Browns and wanted a salary in the neighborhood of $8 million/year as a starting point for conversation. Instead we signed Whitner for less than that, and improved in the pass coverage aspect. Ward gets to go to a team where he can play up in the box where he is most comfortable. This is a win/win for both players and teams. Ward isn't a bad player, but Whitner is a better fit here.

These 2 players should have a major impact on the defense this coming season. They are filling holes, but not just because we cut, or didn't re-sign a player ........ but because the holes always existed because the talents of the players did not fit the defense.

A team isn't always made strong by replacing only weak players. Sometimes you build by replacing "pretty good" players with "equal" type players who better fit the team. I think that's what we have done with these 2 moves. We can debate whether or not Dansby and Whitmer are better players ........ but what cannot be debated is that they appear to be better fits for the Browns. That makes them better players (for us) than the guys we let go.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ward and Whitner play the same position BTTB. I don't see either player in the free safety role. As for teaming DQ and Dansby, while possible it wouldn't be a very lasting solution. I'm really hoping we pick up a good young ILB or two in the upcoming draft. Dansby is fine for a couple years. As long as he stays healthy(which can be said about any player)he should really bring some pop on the inside.

I'm looking forward to seeing a real thumper in the middle this year. At least I hope that's how it goes. One can never tell with these matters.... I don't want to jinx anything by listing examples, but we haven't had the best of luck in FA over the years.

Guess we can only cross our fingers and hope Farmer and Pettine know their stuff.

Jackson was due like 10 million dollars. No way he was getting that, he simply isn't worth half that at this point. Sad but True.

BpG #861037 03/14/14 02:56 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

People are getting to hung up on salary/bonus and whether a player was good enough.

DQ is a good LB for the right scheme just as Danbsy. DQ is a read react kind of guy...think Jauron. Danbsy is more a thumper and gap-read which fits Pettine's style. Regardless whether Browns had DQ or Danbsy they need to draft a replacement soon. To match level play and have a better scheme fit, Browns brought in Danbsy. Ideally I think it would have been nice if DQ restructured his contract and added Danbsy Browns would have best of both worlds. In the next year or two, I see Farmer addressing this issue.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign Danbsy

Link Copied to Clipboard