Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Exactly. Look at the names JAX and OAK are able to "attract".

Money >> two to tango imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Breaking down Ben Tate's contract

Ben Tate's contract with the Cleveland Browns is a “show me” deal that rewards him for staying healthy, but puts off his big payday until 2016.

The deal is for two years and $6.2 million, and breaks down this way, according to ESPN's Roster Management System:

Tate received a signing bonus of $1.5 million.
He will be paid $1 million in base salary this season, a figure that is fully guaranteed.
That gives him $2.5 million in guaranteed money.
After the season, Tate will receive a roster bonus that pays him $46,875 for every game he’s active. If he’s active for 16 games, he’ll receive $750,000, which is the maximum bonus. This clause clearly is a protection for the team against Tate’s injuries. He has been injured in every season he’s played.
The roster bonus is counted in an interesting way against the salary cap. Likely to be earned money counts against the cap. Because Tate played in 14 games in 2013, it’s considered likely he’ll play in 14 in 2014. That means $656,250 of the roster bonus counts against the 2014 salary cap (14 games times $46,875).
Tate is due a base salary of $2.2 million in 2015.
He also is due the same roster bonus.

Tate’s salary cap cost in 2014 is $2.406 million -- $750,000 for the prorated signing bonus ($1.5 million divided by two years on the deal), $1 million for the base salary and $656,250 for the roster bonus. His salary cap cost in 2015 is $2.95 million.

The deal is extremely team friendly, but Tate will get a great opportunity to prove he can and should be a starting running back. If he succeeds he’ll cash in two years from now, or in a year if he’s good enough to demand an extension from the Browns.

Good deal and team friendly enough to sign MJD too

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think Tate was promised the option to be the feature back, prove his worth and make whatever name for himself here in Cleveland when the talks were going on. I think Tate would be instantly offended if we brought in a top back as that would put him back into the role of being in someone's shadow. People shouldn't underestimate a young kid that actually has "drive" and a reason to beast mode it...

JMO

C
Legend
Legend
C
Teams like us usually don't get to sign players like MJD unless we grossly overpay. And that was the case before the Tate signing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have never seen a Cleveland Browns athlete who was into social media this much. He's on Facebook posting videos, giving away signed jerseys to fans. It's actually really awesome, I hope he does well.

Indeed. He was actually going to go out and meet some fans when he was here, but had to catch a plane last minute. Said he'd try to set up something next time he was in town. Guy really seems to dig Cleveland.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
MJD is 28(he'll be 29 in a week) so he's barely under the magical 30 number, and he's got a LOT of miles on those legs. I'm not saying he's done, he may play very well for his next team.... but it is a concern.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Quote:

I have never seen a Cleveland Browns athlete who was into social media this much. He's on Facebook posting videos, giving away signed jerseys to fans. It's actually really awesome, I hope he does well.

Indeed. He was actually going to go out and meet some fans when he was here, but had to catch a plane last minute. Said he'd try to set up something next time he was in town. Guy really seems to dig Cleveland.

It's refreshing, some of the guys who have been here in the past 15 years just don't seem to get it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Awesome pick up.

#863520 03/23/14 10:37 AM
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
not only did we sign the BEST free agent running back on the market, we got him on the cheap!

tate is a BEAST who will fit perfectly in the AFC north.

he is a one-cut, north-south power back, ala jamal lewis.

tate is 25 and has fresh legs; he hasn't been a feature back since his senior year at auburn.

and i LOVE the zone blocking scheme. we used it in 2009 with jerome Harrison and it turned him into a pro-bowl caliber back! it also features our o-line and their skill sets. instead of road-graders, they are technicians.

great signing!!!

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
P
Legend
Legend
P
My main concern about Tate is his ability to stay healthy. He has shown a pattern of having problems in that area. IF he can remain healthy, he will be a great addition.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

My main concern about Tate is his ability to stay healthy. He has shown a pattern of having problems in that area. IF he can remain healthy, he will be a great addition.

And if he don't, the Browns are not forking up picks and or much money. I honestly don't see how anyone could be very unhappy about it. If he doesn't work out, and I'm sure people would wanna give him at least two years (the duration of his contract) - then the losses aren't devastating.

The risk vs rewards are both in great balance here, IMO!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

And if he don't, the Browns are not forking up picks and or much money. I honestly don't see how anyone could be very unhappy about it. If he doesn't work out, and I'm sure people would wanna give him at least two years (the duration of his contract) - then the losses aren't devastating.

The risk vs rewards are both in great balance here, IMO!

I'm not "unhappy about it" per say, more than his health has been shown as a concern.

And you are right from a financial standpoint that the contract is a good one. The problem is, that doesn't help our team win if he's injured. To me, that's two separate issues.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

The problem is, that doesn't help our team win if he's injured. To me, that's two separate issues.

Sorry should have threw in a "jc" in there, wasn't directing towards you.

But to reply, again; it falls into the "risk vs. rewards" category. I cannot possible disagree with you, he's not any help to literally anything on the sideline hurt when it's clear he wants to the starter, and likely Kyle and company have him set to anchor the run game.

With that said, if the line is meshing and able to pick up the zone blocking scheme and perfect their angles and etc - any our smaller shifty backs that we already have (likely will drafted another RB too), will be able to see daylight and get it done. It's a decent position to gamble on as the old tale of "RB are a dime a dozen" is although IMO, not fully true (you have your freaks like Peterson, Stehpen Jackson, Chris Johnson and etc) but it does have some padding so-to-say behind it.

My point is, regardless who is holding the ball as RB - the oline and play caller is what is going to truly predict whether we are able to grind out the run game, or become another one-demensional team like last year under Norv and etc... I will say, giving Ben Tate some ground to build steam is not a very good thing for whom needs make a tackle

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Ben Tate.

Link Copied to Clipboard