Next Thread
Print Thread
#863536 03/16/14 05:24 AM
L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
Has anyone else seen this show on the NFL Network called A football Life "Cleveland 95'"?

It was about Belichecks time in Cleveland. From when they were a playoff team to a predicted SB team to having to practice in opposing cities because of bomb threats, showing Modell and Belicheck getting hung in the streets because the team was getting moved to Baltimore. Instead of reminiscing about my favorite team I was left disgusted of what could have been. I have no doubt in my mind that if Modell and the city could have worked things out, they would have won a SB. After seeing Belicheck win 3 SBs and go to 5 he had many assistants in coaching, scouting, FO, and a player on the field have future success with and without Belicheck. Of the people he had that moved on while he was in Cleveland, the list includes: Kirk Ferentz, Phil Savage, Mangini, Ozzie Newsom, Mike Lombardi, Scott Pioli, Atlant GM Dimitroff, Romeo Crennel, Jim Schwartz, and Nick Saban. An impressive list of names that came from that branch of the Parcells tree. I also might have forgotten a name or 2.

The show is a must see for how things went right before the Browns left for those young fans who dont know the history or as a reminder of what a kick in the nuts us Browns fans went thru from Modell and the politicians not coming to an agreement.

legalizewd #863537 03/16/14 11:28 AM
Legend
Legend
The only way that the Browns could have had that level of success in Cleveland is if Modell would have sold the team. (or part of it) He used the blood money from Baltimore to help finance his run in Baltimore, and despite the fact that NFL teams are designed to make money, he still went broke and had to sell the team not long after moving to Baltimore. (the new owner bought a piece at first, with the ability to buy the rest later, allowing Modell to revel in his glory fr a while longer)

Cleveland would have had to just give Modell money in order for him to have made it here ..... and even then he still would have managed to lose it all anyway. He managed ti screw most of the banks in Cleveland, and no one would loan him money anymore. Modell's one great business move was putting Ozzie in charge as GM. However, most of the rest of his business moves were just trying to recover from previous mistakes. He was very lucky in that he found a great GM who made tremendous football decisions so that he didn't have to worry about that aspect of things. Ozzie wasn't handcuffed financially as he would have been in Cleveland, because those in Baltimore saw him as a hero, and were willing to make bad business decision themselves to help bring the team to Baltimore.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
legalizewd #863538 03/16/14 12:14 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's on YouTube.

45 inutes long.

Cleveland 95

#gmstrong
legalizewd #863539 03/16/14 12:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've tried to forget that year, it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

legalizewd #863540 03/16/14 01:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All drama that came later in the season aside, what I remember most distinctly now is sitting in a sports bar watching the end of the KC game. We were 4-1, Rison hadn't gone off the rails yet, and the details inside the murmuring of the city feud hadn't really made their way out to AZ yet. I just remember that for a lot of people who hadn't lived in Ohio for a long time and weren't paying close attention, things went south (seemingly) very suddenly. Of course, apart from ineptitude, nothing's been the same since.

legalizewd #863541 03/16/14 02:34 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Yeah there was probably a pretty long topic when that show debuted on NFLN 2 years ago...

It's definitely something the younger generation should watch. I was 14 when all that was going on.

I think it also helps this bad assumption from the national media/fans that we ran Belichick out of town, when in reality, he went over to Baltimore with the team, although I believe he was fired almost immediately after the move became official..

legalizewd #863542 03/16/14 03:59 PM
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I still have that on my DVR. Looked to me like Bill was trying to convince ert (misspelled on purpose) to stay in town.

Really impressed me how Ernest Byner was getting kinda misty eyed remembering his time on the team too.

Can't wait for the days we no longer have to say 'What if…' or 'Next year…'.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Yeah there was probably a pretty long topic when that show debuted on NFLN 2 years ago...

Here's the link to the original thread about it.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
MrTed #863544 03/16/14 08:42 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Really impressed me how Ernest Byner was getting kinda misty eyed remembering his time on the team too.

Me too. In fact, when he did that I got misty-eyed as well.

Damn, that was a painful memory but must be relived every now and again just so we don't forget.

As if we ever could...

#gmstrong
ddubia #863545 03/16/14 08:51 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was oaky until the end when Everitt and the rest went to the Pound to say goodbye.

I got misty eyed and pissed at the same time... not a good look for me

I will never forget and I think of Modell everyday about 4:30... right before I flush,

I know get over it, but screw it sometimes I like a good hate.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
legalizewd #863546 03/17/14 01:44 AM
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Modell is the one who would not agree with what was being proposed. Council and Gateway offered him new stadium near the Jake during construction of Jake and Gund but Modell refused. Read article in the PD after the time of Modell's death. Modell was still smarting over not having his remodel proposal to old Muni funded and paid by Gateway Project,city and county and told that he had to wait for Jake and Gund completed due to insuffient funds to handle all projects at one time. Modell also po'd that his major tentant ,the Tribe was getting new playground for themselves and Artie would not get any rent fees. I hope that this program also showed how Modell lied to media and fans that he was not in any negoitions to move The Browns anywhere and all reportings of such were false.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
Legend
Legend
Just clicking (sorta)

Wow,, I was doing payroll this morning and while doing so, I had my laptop next to me on the desk listening to that program.

What a flood of emotions. I remember wanting to strangle Modell.. I wasn't mad a Belichick for the move. I don't think he wanted it or liked it or helped bring it about.

Maybe some future generation of Browns fan will forgive Modell, I don't think the ones that lived through that move will ever forgive him.

If only he'd have used his head. I mean, he had an absolute cash cow in Cleveland.

As for Modell smarting over not having the old stadium renovated, that wasn't a smart move,. That place was hole. It needed torn down.

had he accepted a new facility by the Gund and Jake, he'd have been much smarter.

But the thing is, after getting completely bailed out by the city of Baltimore and the State of Maryland, he still had to sell part of the team. Eventually selling all but 10% which I guess his estate still owns. (I'd have to check to be sure)

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/17/14 12:12 PM.
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

I think it also helps this bad assumption from the national media/fans that we ran Belichick out of town, when in reality, he went over to Baltimore with the team, although I believe he was fired almost immediately after the move became official..

Thank you for this post. This sums things up quite nicely. It reminds me of political media. Say something enough times, people start to believe its true. It's the same garbage with LeBron jersey "burnings" when all they do is show the same one over and over again.

Reminds me of "The Fumble" and how it is said kept us from the Super Bowl. Maybe...maybe not. The fumble would have tied that game and Elway would have had over a minute to do his magic yet again. Maybe we win...maybe we don't if Byner scores, but I get tired of hearing that he was 2 yards from the SB. He was 2 yards from hopefully OT. The national media only looks at the final score of 38-33 and ALWAYS fails to acknowledge the intentional safety by the Broncos.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Damanshot #863549 03/19/14 03:54 AM
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Modell made a deal and signed agreement with city,Art's buddy Mayor Perk,where he was in sole charge and control of Muni's maintentance,remodel,,rentals,concessions,parking lot,ect at his expense thru the Browns. If I remember correctly this was a small aricle in The Browns News Illustrated and or the PD but rarely mentioned when he crying cash fund blues and when city took some of Muni Stadium lot property to build Science Museum and RnR HoF..

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
Legend
Legend
I'm only 27. But I don't know how many times I've had to explain what actually happened during "The Move" to Browns/NFL fans even older than me...

History is written by the winners.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Modell made a deal and signed agreement with city,Art's buddy Mayor Perk,where he was in sole charge and control of Muni's maintentance,remodel,,rentals,concessions,parking lot,ect at his expense thru the Browns. If I remember correctly this was a small aricle in The Browns News Illustrated and or the PD but rarely mentioned when he crying cash fund blues and when city took some of Muni Stadium lot property to build Science Museum and RnR HoF..

It was a deal that he struck with the City of Cleveland. He started a company that I think was called Stadium Corporation to deal with anything stadium related. I thought that may have been his undoing, but then he went to Baltimore and he still ended up in trouble.., So who knows.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns 95'

Link Copied to Clipboard