Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow. That article was crazy.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
man that is so cool, thanks for posting this.

just amazing stuff, though I was disapointed in the defensive models not reflecting much ionformation. I think it points to defense being more attitude than aptitude

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Legend
Legend
D
What Went Wrong:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...-hunt-isnt-easy

Quote:

Brandon Weeden

Drafted No. 22 overall by the Cleveland Browns in 2012

What went wrong: I think the Browns took Weeden, who had a relatively limited football background, too high; I had him going somewhere in the third or fourth round. Through two seasons in Cleveland, he struggled to handle and escape pressure, showing less than ideal mobility. It looked as if he didn't like to be hit; Weeden had problems against the blitz, relying too much on his arm rather than footwork. He does have outstanding arm strength and can throw the back-shoulder fade pretty well, but he's not accurate when going long.

He didn't have much football experience when he came into the league. After spending several years playing minor-league baseball, Weeden red-shirted at Oklahoma State in 2007 and was limited to backup duty in 2008 and 2009 before putting together two decent seasons. Of course, Weeden had the luxury of working with Justin Blackmon, who was a very good receiver, and operated in a simple spread offense that did not require him to make a lot of reads. He was sacked a ton with the Browns (55 times in two years), compiling a record of 0-5 last season and throwing nine picks in eight games despite working with the likes of Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon.

Is there hope? After being outperformed by Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer in Cleveland in an injury-interrupted 2013 season, Weeden was released, then landed with the Dallas Cowboys, who must have been tempted by his arm and athletic body build. Ultimately, I think his lack of experience and his age (he'll turn 31 in October), will keep him from ever rising above backup status. It's tough to adjust to the pros without going through the traditional progression from high school to college. The learning curve is steep enough as it is for the young guys who have been groomed to play quarterback from Day 1; it must only get more difficult as one gets older. I think it'll be tough for him to improve on his deficiencies at this point. I would say Weeden's future in the NFL is somewhat limited.

Weeden's future in the NFL is "somewhat limited"...

Completely hilarious! And a pretty spot-on assessment otherwise...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's true that most of these NFL players have played football starting in the PeeWee league on to Middle School, then High School then the best of them go on to College and the best of the best of those get Drafted and the rest of the best sign contracts as UDFA.

Weeden didn't live, breathe, eat and sleep football all his life as did the competition he met on the field. For him it was like going to a foreign country not speaking the language, knowing none of the customs and never having lived the life-style. The only thing he had going for him is that he could throw the bales of hay on the wagon with the best of them. But he still didn't know how to live among them and he all too often missed the wagon.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I have this mental image of a hay wagon on the 50 yard line of the Berea field house.

That image is augmented by the presence of 30 footballs, strewn about the field in a 50 ft radius around the wagon.

There a 2 balls actually in the wagon.

I can't think of a former Browns player I miss less than him.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Me too and I'm not usually down on our own. But that guy disappointed me so much just being himself the player.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Maybe someone needs a laugh:

Weeden: I got something to prove

Quote:

"One thing I haven't really had in Cleveland is a veteran guy that has been playing the position for a long time to sit back and learn from," said Weeden, cut from the Browns and now under contract in Dallas at a no-risk total of $1.23 million for the two seasons. "I've got two, with Tony and Kyle. Sit back, be a sponge, really dive in, and try to become a better player."

I guess the only time Weeden knew Jason Campbell was on the team is when he was benched for him

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

"One thing I haven't really had in Cleveland is a veteran guy that has been playing the position for a long time to sit back and learn from," said Weeden, cut from the Browns and now under contract in Dallas at a no-risk total of $1.23 million for the two seasons. "I've got two, with Tony and Kyle. Sit back, be a sponge, really dive in, and try to become a better player."

I guess the only time Weeden knew Jason Campbell was on the team is when he was benched for him

thats right weeden. blame everybody except yourself for the reason you sucked.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ya know!?!? I mean how much of a tool is that buffoon, seriously?

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Weeden, you're soon to be 31 or 32... You talking about having time to sit back and soak it in. Dude, you're too old for that. By that thinking, you gone be ready by the age of 35? Dude please, save that crap. Don't blame Cleveland for your performance, or lack there of.

[Linked Image from i442.photobucket.com]
N
Legend
Legend
N
ummm.....

Quote:

under contract in Dallas at a no-risk

the risk is that you actually put him in the game and have to endure his play

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

ummm.....

Quote:

You do realize that they have Romo, right?

I think it's a risk they're accustomed to

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

ummm.....

Quote:

You do realize that they have Romo, right?

I think it's a risk they're accustomed to

Romo is good for the first 3 quarters though.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

That must be why they signed him. I mean Weeden did play baseball. Maybe they signed him to be their closer?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Didn't he have Seneca Wallace before that?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I really don't think Weeden's comments were bad in that article.

Just be glad he is gone and we don't draft a guy who is very similar...........like David Carr.

D
Legend
Legend
D
You know what... totally forgot about this. You're right.

Be funny to watch Dallas media question Weeden about why his balls continue to get batted down. He use to get so furious. He's a joke IMO...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

"I've got two, with Tony and Kyle. Sit back, be a sponge, really dive in, and try to become a better player."

When he got hurt which gave him some time to be a sponge, really dive in and try to become a better player.

He said he learned nothing. He was a petulant child about it.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
He never said he learned nothing.

He said he learned to "not get hurt."

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

That must be why they signed him. I mean Weeden did play baseball. Maybe they signed him to be their closer?

I would find it very interesting if a team were to do this and be successful.

I would also find it interesting to see the percentage of Dallas fans who think he would make the roster. Dallas still might even draft a QB, or theyre thinking Weeden is better then we do.

On the topic of Weeden taking time off of football and not being able to catch up to speed to play in the NFL is an articl stated above. Does anyone know of any other careers that have started late successfully? I think Pittsburghs Harrison started late. You sometimes see a rookie being 23. I can see not running football drill for football shape could weaken your legs compared to pitching in the minors. I remember Hargrove use to have kinda like gassers he made his players do before they could practice in Spring Traing but I doubt Weeden did much of that but I wouldnt really know. I also didnt realize Weeden sat for 2 years before starting. I thought he left early because he started late. So he did have 4 years of football training before the NFL. If he was athletic enough, I dont see that as too much of a problem. The fact the Grandpa Weeden did not start right away in college would have turned me off even more about the pick then I origanlly was. I assumed he left baseball because he knew he had a starting QB spot available. I think thats what Weinke did.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

He never said he learned nothing.
He said he learned to "not get hurt."

Yeah, I guess I read into that thinking that if that' all he learned then he learned nothing.

How 'bout them Cowboys?!

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yawn... more excuses rolling out of Weeden's mouth as to why he SUCKED so bad:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...f-in-cleveland/

Quote:

“I think, as a player, as much as you try not to do too much, try not to put too much pressure on yourself to perform and show you can be the guy for the long haul, sometimes you get caught up in it. You try to do much as a player. That’s one thing if I could change about myself, I wouldn’t try to do too much every Sunday. Just let the game kinda come to you and be more patient.”

P
Legend
Legend
P
So he's pointing out something he felt he did wrong and needs to correct. Yet that's an excuse?

Look, I'm not an apologist for Weeden. But to say this is "making excuses" is a giant reach.

The BEST thing any player can do is to look back, try to figure out what they did wrong and correct it.

I don't believe Weeden has the skill set to ever be a franchise QB. But to try to nit pick this as excuses is a big reach.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Oh come on bro. I mean no offense, but really? Even when he knew he was on the likelihood of being benched, even by the infamous "players coach" Chud that played struggling people and gave them repeated chances to continue to show why they shouldn't be playing - he still played bad.

If he "had so much pressure and tried so hard" like the baby claims - then surely he had no pressure coming into to play when he knew as soon as Jason was recovered from being hurt, he'd get benched. Talk about being able to "just go in there and wing it" and play, then that be a good situation and guess what... he still stunk.

From not having veterans (although he had Wallace and Campbell), to trying so hard, to this and to that - all this kid does when he talks is come up with bs as to why he played and struggled. I hope Romo suffers like, an ankle injury or something (nothing major) so Weeden can play. I am waiting to hear what he tells the Dallas media as why he plays like he will likely play. Which is CRAPPY!

jmo

P
Legend
Legend
P
Like I said, I don't believe anything he does will really make him a better QB. But looking back and trying to figure out what you did wrong isn't making excuses to me.

He has said some dumb things in the past. He's a bad QB. But if you really believe what he said in this case is another excuse, we simply disagree. Sounds more to me like he's at least trying to figure out what went wrong rather than makes up excuses.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

So he's pointing out something he felt he did wrong and needs to correct. Yet that's an excuse?

Look, I'm not an apologist for Weeden. But to say this is "making excuses" is a giant reach.

The BEST thing any player can do is to look back, try to figure out what they did wrong and correct it.

Pit, I wanna agree w/you. I really do, but...............look at this again:

Quote:

“I think, as a player, as much as you try not to do too much, try not to put too much pressure on yourself to perform and show you can be the guy for the long haul, sometimes you get caught up in it. You try to do much as a player. That’s one thing if I could change about myself, I wouldn’t try to do too much every Sunday. Just let the game kinda come to you and be more patient.”

Be more patient? Really? The guy held the ball way, way too long. That wasn't his problem. He wasn't making quick decisions and forcing the ball. He took too freaking long.

Sorry bro, it sounds like an excuse to me.

Legend
Legend
j/c

Quote:

"That’s one thing if I could change about myself, I wouldn’t try to do too much every Sunday."

Mission accomplished.

[/snark]

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sounds to me like he felt he was putting too much pressure on himself and forcing things. And he feels he needs to change that.

Now when he blamed the coaches for running plays they didn't use that week in practice? That's making excuses.

But I still say it sounds like he's reflecting and trying to figure out ways to improve. I simply don't consider that making excuses.

Like he forced things rather than taking what the D gave him and getting into the flow of the game. That's what I took away from his comments.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Do any of you remember a football movie called The Replacements.

Shane Falco talks about his greatest fear and he said, Quicksand.

You step into Quicksand, you keep sinking.

The harder you struggle the deeper you get so you try harder and you just dig in deeper.

I assume that that is what Weeden is speaking of..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's probably my favorite movie.

How dare you compare Shane Falco to Weeden.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's probably my favorite movie.

How dare you compare Shane Falco to Weeden.

lol Ok,, I'm sorry.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

But I still say it sounds like he's reflecting and trying to figure out ways to improve. I simply don't consider that making excuses.

I didn't either. But my real opinion is that the last thing he needs to be doing is talking in any kind of detail about anything in his short career so far.

He needs to tow the company line vs every question the media asks him and not get into talking about himself AT ALL.

Every time he does he sounds dumb.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I certainly believe his best path to take is to shut up and work.

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Brandon Weeden to meet with Dallas Cowboys

Link Copied to Clipboard