Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#873481 04/18/14 09:00 PM
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I gotta say, whoever in here who likes to cook and does not have a cast iron skillet needs to get one.. today...

I finally bought a cast iron skillet from Lodge and have absolutely loved it! I'm still working on learning the delicacies of a cast iron, but man I love it! I screwed up the first thing I made on it but everything else has turned out great. I've cooked basic things like bacon, I made a home made pizza on it that came out like it was cooked on a stone, and tonight I made one of the best steaks I've ever had on it... love it!!

<><

#gmstrong
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many inches is your skillet? Where did you get it and how much was it?

Making a pizza with it sounds awesome, but did you cook it on the stove or in an oven?

#873483 04/18/14 09:39 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I need one of these.

No Craps Given
#873484 04/18/14 09:40 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C....

I found a good deal on a cast iron skillet- looks like a 14" round.

Peen needs to get in here and explain his method for the best cast iron steak in history.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Cast iron is where its at!

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, I've had mine for three or four years now.

Great for steaks in the winter.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C....

Peen needs to get in here and explain his method for the best cast iron steak in history.

....and also his method to season the skillet.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
There are several ways to season a skillet. My favorite is on the stove top using salt.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just keep using it. What took you so long?

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I gotta say, whoever in here who likes to cook and does not have a cast iron skillet needs to get one.. today...

I finally bought a cast iron skillet from Lodge and have absolutely loved it! I'm still working on learning the delicacies of a cast iron, but man I love it! I screwed up the first thing I made on it but everything else has turned out great. I've cooked basic things like bacon, I made a home made pizza on it that came out like it was cooked on a stone, and tonight I made one of the best steaks I've ever had on it... love it!!

If you like corn bread you can put a couple boxes in and it comes out awesome.

Legend
Legend
I have 3 of them. (actually 4, but I haven't used the egg pan sized one yet) I have a pair of flat bottom skillets, and 1 grill bottom skillet. I love 'em. Once you get the temp right, you can make anything special.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have two of them.. love em. Seasoned properly at first it's a good way to cook. One problem is electric glass top stoves.. big scratches.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have two of them.. love em. Seasoned properly at first it's a good way to cook. One problem is electric glass top stoves.. big scratches.

Ugh, I hate electric stoves. Give me my gas stove any and every day.

However ..... I am considering getting one of those induction cook top units for boiling water quickly. (and quickly cooking veggies, and stuff like that)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

However ..... I am considering getting one of those induction cook top units for boiling water quickly. (and quickly cooking veggies, and stuff like that)

Does anybody know if there is a way to remove scratches from a glasstop electric stove?

GO BROWNS!
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does anybody know if there is a way to remove scratches from a glasstop electric stove?

web page

Like all scratches it isn't technically possible to remove a scratch (you'd need to be filling it in instead). But if they are small scratches the link here had some advice on how to buff them off.

Legend
Legend
They are amazing, we've had ours for close to 30 years.. everything from eggs and bacon to chicken to steak.. amazing.. But I've not tried a pizza, that sounds interesting.. how about a recipe?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
#873497 04/19/14 07:49 AM
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

How many inches is your skillet? Where did you get it and how much was it?

Making a pizza with it sounds awesome, but did you cook it on the stove or in an oven?

12inch lodge - think it was $25 or $30 from William and sanoma

For the pizza I made my own dough and sauce. Started on the stove top and finished in the oven, I started on the stove top to make the bottom and outside of the crust a little crispier than the inside of the crust.

You really need to make sure you season your cast iron well and take good care of it but overall I've been really pleased with the overall temp it holds and how even the cooking surface is

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

They are amazing, we've had ours for close to 30 years.. everything from eggs and bacon to chicken to steak.. amazing.. But I've not tried a pizza, that sounds interesting.. how about a recipe?

I haven't perfected my method or receipe yet... But basically just take your cast iron, put a little olive oil in it and then spread your favorite pizza dough out in it and up the sides a bit. Let it rise a little. Then put on your sauce and toppings. I like to put it on the stove top for a couple minute just to let the outside crisp up. Then into the oven at around 450 for 20-25 until it's done

I'd google a few receipes to find one you like but that's basically what I did... Like I said I'm still working on making it just right... But that's where I'm starting

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Here is a tip on the pizza....just put the skillet in the oven as it heats to temp...pull it out and then add the pizza dough and build the pizza. You'll end up with a nice crisp deep dish pizza.

Lodge is made about 20 miles from here. They are a big sponsor of the Cornbread Festival next weekend. I'll be there.

web page

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've got a 14" one from my grandparents via my parents. They never used it, I was about to buy one and they happened to be there at the time. They said, "No! Wait! We have one from your grandparents under out bed that we haven't used!" Been using that one ever since.

Makes lots of meats and everything, but here is one of my favorite side dish recipes that I make in it often using Sweet Potatoes:

Preheat your oven with the cast iron in it to 400 degrees

Cut up two large sweet potatoes (or 4 if they are small), 1 onion, 6-8 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt (I use smoked sea salt), pepper, smoked paprika and mix together in a bowl

Put the ingredients into the preheated skillet and put into the oven for 25 minutes untouched.

Take out, stir, and add in more smoked paprika and other spices (I use fresh basil and rosemary from my little patio garden, and dried thyme)

Put back into oven and cook for an additional 15 minutes

Take out of oven and serve.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
J/C ......

For anyone who doesn't want to spend any more than they absolutely have to, Wal-Mart actually carries Lodge in their stores.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe lodge are the only cast iron skillets made in America.
I would get one of them if you are getting a new one.

Joe Thomas #73
B
Legend
Legend
B
I believe so. Been making them here in Tennessee since the 1890's.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Yeah, they are the last left. If you like the skillet, you need to try the dutch oven. Charcoal underneath and on top, stack a few if you want, you can cook anything.. Main course through desert in one stack, some of the scout leaders from my son's troop had some great tips.

My favorite skillet was given to me by my mother. One of her uncles worked in a cast iron foundry during the depression. He used to bring the bad ones and broken ones home and repair them to the best of his ability. Mine has a crooked hand welded handle on it. Just the right angle for a lefty like me!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have a 14" and was told to season it by rubbing oil all over it and putting it in the oven for an hour. oiled it inside and out except for the bottom. Works like a charm.

Edit: I have a glass top stove also, but if your real careful and don't slide it around on the top then you shouldn't have to worry.

Last edited by bleednbrown; 04/25/14 02:04 PM.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
My ex loved using the cast iron skillet. But, I don't recall her ever making food in one. To me they're just a headache waiting to happen.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

My ex loved using the cast iron skillet. But, I don't recall her ever making food in one. To me they're just a headache waiting to happen.

Hahaha - thankfully my wife is pretty petite so I bought one big enough that I figured she would have trouble swinging it around

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Hahaha - thankfully my wife is pretty petite so I bought one big enough that I figured she would have trouble swinging it around

Just remember ..... she can still drop it on your head while you're asleep. lol

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just remember ..... she can still drop it on your head while you're asleep. lol

After she's sewn you up in the sheets.

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Cast Iron Skillets

Link Copied to Clipboard