Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will never get my period ever. However I find it offensive when guys ask girls if they're on their period to rationalize their thoughts.

Wow.. talk about taking a fork in the road. can't wait to see where this goes.

It's like an internet road packed with IIEDs (Internet Improvised Explosive Devices) ......... No one gets out alive.

What's he internet version of the ANA? I'd just have them deal with it..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

I will never get my period ever. However I find it offensive when guys ask girls if they're on their period to rationalize their thoughts.

Good example. I'd like to use this to clarify the semantics of the OP position. CHS is having what I will for now call a "response" to the above behavior. Is he correct in calling it offense? What would you call his response if it's not legitimate offense? Should he be feeling anything at all?

To take a more universally applicable approach, what would you guys say to the 19th century abolitionists protesting slavery? I guess it would be something like "You're not a slave... why are you offended?"

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
There is a saying that the wise man is never offended, because the wise man ignores lies and the truth cannot offend.

I object to stupidity, rather than be offended by it. Like when somebody insists that "20% (of 10) > 3".

Or, when someone is so focused on being non-offensive that they either refuse to understand, or ignore, the fact that many women experience tremendous hormonal swings during their regular cycle than certainly can dramatically affect their behavior and thought processes. If a woman wants to take offense that their irrational behavior is being blamed on her body chemistry, that's her right. My decision is which type of problem I want to deal with. If a man wants to take offense because he doesn't understand basic biology, well, it's his right to be stupid.

A fact is a fact, if you don't like it because it makes you feel bad, that's fine, but don't try to tell me it just ain't so. The line is "It still moves!".

About two out of ten will get that last line, and, sadly, that is understandable and not even objectionable, though I wish it were different.

Legend
Legend
Your post reminds me of a piece I saw a while back on "being disrespected" which is something you hear all the time.. "so and so disrespected me." The piece went on to say that respect is a noun, it's not a verb.. Nobody can disrespect you.... If you feel disrespected, that's an emotional response to something that somebody else said or did and you control it. YOU decide if you want to feel disrespected or not, nobody else can MAKE you feel that way.

yebat' Putin
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

To take a more universally applicable approach, what would you guys say to the 19th century abolitionists protesting slavery? I guess it would be something like "You're not a slave... why are you offended?"

Waiting....

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Your post reminds me of a piece I saw a while back on "being disrespected" which is something you hear all the time.. "so and so disrespected me." The piece went on to say that respect is a noun, it's not a verb.. Nobody can disrespect you.... If you feel disrespected, that's an emotional response to something that somebody else said or did and you control it. YOU decide if you want to feel disrespected or not, nobody else can MAKE you feel that way.

Happy Birthday.

I completely disagree with this. That's like saying if I punch you it's your fault that you're in pain. All I did was enact a force on you, that your body did not like. You could probably control these receptors with years of training.

I don't see the problem with being offended, I think it's the way we make social evolution. It's the catalyst. One day 400 or so years ago someone probably said something like, "I am offended that thou burneth my brethren at thy stake for their religious affliction. I shall noweth sail to America." Probably, not exactly like that, but close enough. I just think that we're not doing anything in response to being offended.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

THANK YOU & Happy Birthday! I've been trying to say this for years but for some dumb reason people want to be "respected" and are offended when they aren't.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I completely disagree with this. That's like saying if I punch you it's your fault that you're in pain. All I did was enact a force on you, that your body did not like. You could probably control these receptors with years of training.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. Physical pain and emotional response are two different things.

Quote:

I don't see the problem with being offended, I think it's the way we make social evolution. It's the catalyst.

If you unfairly insult my family, I will get offended. If a white guy I don't know insults a black guy I don't know, why would I be offended? If a guy is known to be a racist and he makes a racist comment, why would anybody be offended? If a woman is a whore and you call her a whore, should she be offended?

Quote:

One day 400 or so years ago someone probably said something like, "I am offended that thou burneth my brethren at thy stake for their religious affliction. I shall noweth sail to America." Probably, not exactly like that, but close enough. I just think that we're not doing anything in response to being offended.

Actually it was probably out of fear for their life.. fight or flight is a much more reasonable response.

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
They're really not. They're just neurological signals to the brain saying that they're in pain. They're both deciphered in the same spot of the brain, so it's really not too far off to say they're the essentially the same thing.

As to why would you get offended if two unrelated parties insulted each other? Well, many people, myself included, have empathy for random strangers. I know some people need to see a face or have a name to have empathetic responses, but I'm just not one of those people. Neither are wrong with it.

Also, yes, I hope if I call a woman a "whore" she slaps the **** out of me. But that's for a completely other debate that I don't want to drag this into.

Not everyone who colonized were from a persecuted religion, just many of them.

K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Kinda in that abolitionists weren't slaves themselves.

Abolitionists had every right to be upset and disappointed and angry...but offended? There was no offense taken to them in saying that slaves should still be slaves or whatever the situation in said scenario.

Feeling undermined may be the most appropriate.

I think offended is applied to too many feelings that aren't offended...theyre other things...that should be more appropriately labeled.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
j/c

Random poll / question of something that is bugging me and this thread is pretty close to the topic.

I find it kind of insulting/offensive when people refer to disabled people as inspiring. I'm not entirely sure why but it seems insulting to me. I've come across it recently with a guy playing counterstrike with no arms and another guy with cerebral palsy making funny exercise videos. ( Zach Anner he's genuinely a good comedian)

Edit: A disabled activist wrote about it and her retort to being called inspirational amused me:

“I know, I know. If you were me you’d never leave your house and maybe even kill yourself,” Rousso writes in response to those who think she’s “inspirational.” “So I’m an inspiration because I haven’t killed myself -- yet.”

To KingSteve: Offended is a tricky word because it can typically mean "personally slighted" but also can mean "displeases me" The phrase "offends my tastes" would be an example.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Kingcob; 05/06/14 02:02 AM.
Legend
Legend
I find it inspiring when people overcome major challenges of any kind, including physical challenges, challenges that arise from growing up poor, and so on.

I can see why disabled people want to be treated just like anyone else, however, those who overcome long odds to accomplish are inspiring to me,

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I find it inspiring when people overcome major challenges of any kind, including physical challenges, challenges that arise from growing up poor, and so on.

I can see why disabled people want to be treated just like anyone else, however, those who overcome long odds to accomplish are inspiring to me,

I can see both sides.. I feel inspiration from those who overcome long odds too but if you look at it from their perspective, I can see why it's not as much of a compliment as we think it is. Basically what you are saying is that the person accomplished more than you expected them to, which means you had low expectations based on their circumstances.. which is kind of an insult.

yebat' Putin
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Offends my tastes...that's interesting. Havent looked at it that way.

Displeases...yea, I can see that, but that's kinda the heart of my gripe...displeases means displeases. Offends to me is something different entirely.

It has to start somehow
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think the funniest thing is how so many wish for society to change to insure nobody is offended. People "feel" offended all the time. I don't believe that it's societies job to bend over backwards to cater to everyone's sensibilities.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If you're offended by something, just Fill this out and send it to your Senator.

Last edited by ThatGuy; 05/06/14 10:21 AM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
shouldn't be...when you cater to the minority, you lose the majority

It has to start somehow
Legend
Legend
j/c

OK, I guess I'll join this one.

Here's Clem in a nutshell:

There are lots of things about modern-day life that offend my sensibilities. Beyond the usual boilerplate media issues, there is a whole other level- much closer to the core of who I am- that's offended by much of what I see.

With this 24/7 assault on the ideals and human character traits that I hold most dear, I'm given a choice:

1. Stand up and shout
2. Stand up for the way I think life should be lived... by living it the way it should be lived.

I've chosen Option Number 2.

I'm not going to join a demonstration because I saw something that offended me.

I'm not going to 'start up a buncha mess' in a public place because some neanderthal decided it would be a good idea to put his social filter on lockdown, and spout some heinously "anti- something/anything" crap in Town Square.

I'm not going to get myself on TV to tell the rest of the world what I think... or what I believe they should think.

In a world of over 3 billion people, I'm just not that important.

What I will do is this:

1. I'll live my life according to the principles, teachings and foundations of those who brought me up
2. I'll continue to question/test the validity of those principles, to make sure they are still Core Truths in that 'center of who I am.'
3. I'll direct my life's steps accordingly.

It's truly all I can realistically do.

I am the only person responsible for my life.... and taking Real Responsibility for anything is a full-time, 24/7 commitment.

In short: I'm simply too busy:
*wrestling my own demons
*fighting just to stay alive
*trying to become the person I was raised to become...

...to waste too much of my precious, finite time on this planet in blustery displays of "what I stand for."

It's a much more efficient use of finite resources to actually try to BE what I think the world should emulate, than to bitch to others about how far I think it's fallen from the expectations and standards to which I was held (... and to which I still try to hold myself...).

In the end, The World is never going to conform to my world view. Better to change what I can by 'living it right,' rather than browbeat others for being different from me.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

They're really not. They're just neurological signals to the brain saying that they're in pain. They're both deciphered in the same spot of the brain, so it's really not too far off to say they're the essentially the same thing.

As to why would you get offended if two unrelated parties insulted each other? Well, many people, myself included, have empathy for random strangers. I know some people need to see a face or have a name to have empathetic responses, but I'm just not one of those people. Neither are wrong with it.

You bring up a good point... maybe it's more the societal context of the word "offended" that just irks me so much. It's almost like people hide behind it, or use it to make something more personal than it really is.. not sure how to explain it. Emotions are usually not as clear cut as we would like them to be... People laugh at furnerals, not because there is anything funny about them, it's an emotional response and how some people deal with stress..

So perhaps it is more a matter of semantics... If somebody says they hate Irish people, and you are Irish, tell them you are ticked.. sounds much better than I'm offended. Saying you are offended just seems to have too much of a victim connotation, which may be why I really don't like it especially when you are an uninvolved 3rd party. Oh, a rich white guy in California doesn't like black guys, that hurts my feelings... nah, doesn't sound right..

yebat' Putin
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Its a nice way to go about life.

akin to the Gandhi method of going about things. Do things your way, and how you want to do them.

It has to start somehow
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

You bring up a good point... maybe it's more the societal context of the word "offended" that just irks me so much. It's almost like people hide behind it, or use it to make something more personal than it really is.. not sure how to explain it. Emotions are usually not as clear cut as we would like them to be... People laugh at furnerals, not because there is anything funny about them, it's an emotional response and how some people deal with stress..

I think that maybe there's a conflation between someone saying "that's offensive" and saying "I'm offended". When somebody says the former, I don't necessarily assume that he is speaking about himself, but rather pointing out that a person or group may take offense. An obvious counter to that is there's always somebody who will take offense to something no matter how petty. That's why I tend to limit my thinking about it primarily to those who have a real reason to take offense to something, based on race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation/gender identification, etc.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Seems like most of the time I hear someone saying they're offended they mean in a general sense of the statement made and not particularly calling the person who said it offensive.

I think the only way saying you're offended is a big deal is when the person it's said to makes it a big deal.

Say you're offended.

They say, "Oh sorry. Why are you offended?" and then you talk about it without personalizing it.

Then both should move on.

I know one thing though and that's the offended and the offenders come from all walks of life.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The Ease and Concept of Being Offended

Link Copied to Clipboard